100 books in 2011 discussion

books you have read > MommaSeymour

Comments (showing 1-50 of 56) (56 new)    post a comment »

Amanda The Book Slayer (Amanda_The_Book_Slayer) | 69 comments I am excited about this challenge and will be looking for new series to start. So if you have any pass them on.

Sashana Mommaseymour wrote: "I am excited about this challenge and will be looking for new series to start. So if you have any pass them on."

Whats's your favorite genre? Maybe I can recommend something.

Amanda The Book Slayer (Amanda_The_Book_Slayer) | 69 comments Well I like anything paranormal,or romance, or historical, some ya books. lol. I am on a Scottish Romance and Historical Romance kick right now.

Amanda The Book Slayer (Amanda_The_Book_Slayer) | 69 comments Book 1 yea!
Crimson Wind (Horngate Witches, #2) by Diana Pharaoh Francis

Crimson Wind by Diana Pharaoh Francis 4/5 ****

This is the second book in the Horngate Witches Series. I enjoyed the first book and was excited to see how the relationship with Max and Alexander change/expand. I have to say I was satisfied with the way it is going so far. Diana Pharaoh Francis does a great job leaving you wanting more at the end of her books.

Action packed throughout the entire thing! I mean it was like one thing after another. I have to say I am impressed. Not all authors can keep you on the edge of your seat through the whole novel.

You begin to start seeing the real Max in this book. I have to say she is up there with my fav. female characters. How can you not love someone who will always help the underdog.

Alexander goes above and beyond to show Max how he feels about her and that she is "His."

Overall have to say it will make my must-read section. If you are looking for a book that has action, paranormal, and a smidgen of romance this book is for you. Can't wait till the next book!

Amanda The Book Slayer (Amanda_The_Book_Slayer) | 69 comments Book 2
Highlander Ever After (Nvengaria, #3) by Jennifer Ashley

Highlander Ever After by Jennifer Ashley 2.5/5 **

This book just didn't do it for me. It took me a few days to read it and that was just to get it finished. The story line was a little all over the place for me. I am a fan of Jennifer Ashley or in other words Allyson James. I really like her Shifter Unbound series so far and her stormwalker series 'The Madness of Lord Ian McKenzie' before this one and I had the same outcome. So I am going to have to say for me, she just isn't great with Highlander stories.

Short cap of the story. Boy and Girl know each other from way back when. She saved his life and now he is saving her life. They fall in love and get married.

Amanda The Book Slayer (Amanda_The_Book_Slayer) | 69 comments Book 3
Shadowspell (Faeriewalker, #2) by Jenna Black

Shadowspell by Jenna Black 5/5 *****

Excellent Sequel to 'Glimmerglass.' Jenna Black started this book with a million things that have already gone wrong for main character Dana Hathaway. She is now trapped in an underground "bunker" and had to have bodyguards with her when ever she goes out.

She doesn't get to spend a lot of time with her friends. Ethan and her are not hitting it off so well. Things get even worse when the Erlking of the Wild Hunt comes to town.

Ethan gets taken into the Wild Hunt and she makes a deal with the "devil" to get him released.

There are twists and turns throughout the entire book. I can't wait to see where she goes from here.

Amanda The Book Slayer (Amanda_The_Book_Slayer) | 69 comments Book 4
Taken By The Others (H & W Investigations, #2) by Jess Haines

Taken By The Others by Jess Haines 4/5 ****

Really happy with this series so far. I loved the first book. I thought that it was quite original. I also think the Jess Haines has done the same with this second book. I was still on the edge of my seat through the entire thing.

Shiarra Waynest is a PI and runs a small business with her best friend. This book focuses on Shiarra, Alec, and Chaz.

I was excited because I was hoping that Shiarra would finally make more of a decision between the two. At the end I still felt torn between the two. I was so wrapped up in the storyline that I didn't even notice that Shiarra is still waving between the two.

Shiarra gets taken by Alecs rival from way back when, Max. He wants to kill her to get revenge on Alec. The White Hats of all people come to her rescue first. She ends up having to go back to Alec for help and Chaz throws in his lot with them.

She ends up being bound by Max first then Alec. She has brakes both and that is the end of the book. Chaz isn't sure if he can keep up their relationship because he had to watch Shia with Alec during that time.

Hopefully, the next book she will make a choice. I would be happy with Alec or Chaz. However, I think Alec would be a better choice.

Amanda The Book Slayer (Amanda_The_Book_Slayer) | 69 comments Book 5
Awakened (House of Night, #8) by P.C. Cast

Awakened by P.C. Cast 5/5 *****

Wow! The story just keeps getting better. I loved the last book and this book just kept on with Stark and Zoey / Repiam and Stevie Rae.

I don't want to give much away because a ton of people read HON. It is mainly about where Zoey and Stark need to go now that he is her Guardian/Warrior and both are back from the Otherworld.

I was so excited to see that Zoey and Stark are actually a couple now!!!! They make a great team. Stevie Rae and Rephiam make a great team too. I am so excited for the next book.

Amanda The Book Slayer (Amanda_The_Book_Slayer) | 69 comments Book 6
Once Bitten, Twice Shy (Jaz Parks, #1) by Jennifer Rardin

Once Bitten, Twice Shy by Jennifer Rardin (re-read) 5/5 *****

Since this is a re-read and I have my review on my page I will post some of my fav. quotes.

"What is it about the people who know you best? You never reveal to them the secret location of your make-me-crazy buttons and yet, like toddlers at preschool, they root them out and push them repeatedly."

"My nerves were running around like earthquake victims, screaming hysterically and ramming into each other, causing no end of damage and helping me not one damn bit."

"I pictured Cupid sitting in a crappy little bar, drunk and depressed, while he moaned to the bartender,"That Jasmine Parks, gods, she pisses me off! Did you see what she just did? Totally blew off this immortal stud to play kiss-the-boo-boo with a fickle little rent-a-cop. Why? 'Cause she's the biggest chickenshit on the planet! I'm ready to toss my bow and pick up a bazooka!"

Amanda The Book Slayer (Amanda_The_Book_Slayer) | 69 comments Book 7
Bloody Valentine by Melissa de la Cruz

Bloody Valentine by Melissa de la Cruz 5/5 *****

I thought that this had excellent short stories. The first one was about Oliver and how he was able to get past the pain from losing Sky. The second story was how Allegra meet Bendix Chase and fell in love. The third ,my favorite, was Sky's and Jack's bonding!!!! Yea!!!! If you love blue bloods than this is a must read!

Amanda The Book Slayer (Amanda_The_Book_Slayer) | 69 comments Book 8
Playing The Odds (MacGregors #4) (Language of Love #12 - Hyacinth) by Nora Roberts

Playing The Odds (MacGregors #4) by Nora Roberts 2.5/5 **

Okay so I saw the book about Serena and Caine and thought hey I will give it a try. I have only read Serena's story which is called 'Playing the Odd.' I have to say that this is not my typical style of book that I normally enjoy. It was interesting but I felt it was missing a little in the story line. Maybe it was too short, or not enough action. I felt the character's could be built up a little more. It wasn't the best or the worst I have ever read. Hopefully Caine's story will be better.

Amanda The Book Slayer (Amanda_The_Book_Slayer) | 69 comments Book 9
Till Dawn with the Devil (Lords of Vice, #2) by Alexandra Hawkins

Till Dawn with the Devil by Alexandra Hawkins 4/5 ****

Lords of Vice - Reign and Sophia

I love this series. This one is about Gabriel Housely or "Reign" to the Lords of Vice. Reign was married once before, but his wife had an unexpected death. She was also unfaithful and this has scared him. He is never interested in women for a permanent relationship till he meets Lady Sophia.

Sophia's family has a past with his. His father killed her mother and father and also hit her and caused her to lose most of her sight.

Love blooms between this unlikely pair. It is a great story about how love will conquer all.

Amanda The Book Slayer (Amanda_The_Book_Slayer) | 69 comments Book 10
The Ranger (Highland Guard, #3) by Monica McCarty

The Ranger by Monica McCarty 5/5 *****

Great Highlander Series! Highland Guard #3

'Ranger' - Arthur Campbell was sent into the enemy territory as a spy. He has done a great job of this without being discovered. However, Anna brings out all his protective instinct even though she is the enemy.

Anna is her father's daughter. She believes she is fighting for the right cause and is helping in anyway she can. Her father wants her to get close to Arthur and find out if he is genuine. This creates a problem since there is a pull between them.

Will they cultivate love or destroy it?

Amanda The Book Slayer (Amanda_The_Book_Slayer) | 69 comments Book 11
Vicious Circle (Persephone Alcmedi, #1) by Linda  Robertson

Vicious Circle by Linda Robertson 3.5/5 ***

I enjoyed this book. It kinda reminded me of the a mix of Caitlin Kittredge series 'Nocturne City and Black London' . This has a little of everything in it. Vampires, Werewolves, and Witches. I believe that Fae come into play later in the series.

Persephone Alcmedi is a kick-butt main female character. She is a witch but also a friend to the local werewolves. She kennels them on the full moon.

Main problem is that Seph is hired to take out the man who killed her good friend. Things are not what they seem and she gets more then she wants out of the deal.

Johnny,alpha male werewolf, sets off all kinds of her internal alarms. He ends up helping Seph solve more then one problem. You can't help but love Johnny. I can't wait to see where things go between them.

Amanda The Book Slayer (Amanda_The_Book_Slayer) | 69 comments Book 12
Moon Awakening (Children of the Moon, #1) by Lucy Monroe

Moon Awakening by Lucy Monroe 4.5/5 ****

Great Werewolf Series mixed with Highlander Romance.

I really enjoyed this book having paranormal influence with the Highlander setting. It's like my favorite two worlds combined. YEA!

Emily gets sent to the Highlands to wed a Highland Laird. She ends up getting captured by a rival clan.

Lachlan is a mighty Highland Warrior Laird and has decided to take Emily as retribution.

Emily and Lachlan have an instant connection that neither want to acknowledge, but somehow grows with the time they spend together.

Great tale of how life changes can be for the best.

Amanda The Book Slayer (Amanda_The_Book_Slayer) | 69 comments Book 13
The Dark One (Wild Wulfs of London, #2) by Ronda Thompson

The Dark One by Ronda Thompson 3.5/5 ***

Werewolf + Historical London = Wild Wulf of London Series

I enjoyed reading a paranormal book with the intricate details of historical London. I only gave it 3.5 because it was a good story almost great, but not excellent for me. Sorry.

Rosalind comes to London for her stepbrother to see her stepmother but turns into his card to financial freedom. Rosalind goes to her first ball looking to be ruined so as to have her stepbrother send her back to the country.

Armond Wulf is the lucky man Rosalind choses to ruin her. He ends up being a gentlemen and she isn't ruined enough to send her back.

Rosalind has to endure her stepbrother's abuse until Armond comes to save the day and do what he has promised never to do.....take a wife and fall in love.

Susan R (SusanMik) Mommaseymour wrote: " Book 12

I really enjoyed this book h..."

This is one of my favorite series ever - the second book is even better! Can;t wait for the third to come out this February!

Amanda The Book Slayer (Amanda_The_Book_Slayer) | 69 comments Susan wrote: "Mommaseymour wrote: " Book 12

..."

I am glad to hear that b/c I have been debating on my next book to read. thanks.

Amanda The Book Slayer (Amanda_The_Book_Slayer) | 69 comments Book 14
Poison Kissed (Shadowfae Chronicles, #3) by Erica Hayes

Poison Kissed by Erica Hayes 1/5 *

I was not a huge fan of this book. It started out awesome. It was like a mix between tithe and Unholy Ghost. I thought , ' Hey here is an adult Fae book that will span past teen life.' I was wrong. It was too out there for me. It was all about Fae gang life. I would not recommend this book.

Amanda The Book Slayer (Amanda_The_Book_Slayer) | 69 comments Book 15
Another One Bites the Dust (Jaz Parks, #2) by Jennifer Rardin

Another One Bites the Dust by Jennifer Rardin 5/5 *****

This is one of my favorite books in the series. I already have my review on my site. I will just put my favorite quotes up.

"I Realized Fate, which had often punched me so hard I couldn't see for the swelling, may have dealt me a pair of aces in Cassandra and Bergman."

"As I stepped inside the RV, I said, "Good God, our mobile home has swallowed a Radio Shack!"
Bergman had wired a bank of electronic whatsits to our plasma TV, making it look like it had sprouted a blocky beard. The screen itself was divided into multiple quadrants, showing views of the common area and the deck of the Constance Malloy. We settled down to watch, Vayl and Cassandra on Mary-Kate, Cole and I on Ashly, with me pretending I didn't mind a bit that my sverhamin had forsaken my company for the psychic's."

"But now I understood a lot better why my boss kept coming back to this life. It was so damned interesting. Especially when you shared part of your day with someone who could make your heart do gymnastics with the barest touch of his hand. Problem was, I knew firsthand what could happen when you fell off the balance beam."

Amanda The Book Slayer (Amanda_The_Book_Slayer) | 69 comments Book 16
To Wed a Scandalous Spy (Royal Four, #1) by Celeste Bradley

To Wed a Scandalous Spy by Celeste Bradley 3.5/5 ***

I thought this book was good. I almost gave it a 4 except that it felt a little predictable. The plot seemed a little loose as well for me. But overall a very interesting read.

Main Character Willa is an interesting character. You can't help but love her, although she is odd. Nate is one of 4 Spy's who has to take a hit to his reputation for the crown. He is labeled a Traitor to keep his cover.

Willa and Nate get married because of spending the night together although he was passed out the whole time. They head to London to catch up to Nate's prey but miss him.

Willa stands up for Nate and Nate falls in love with Willa. Willa ends up clearing his name and all ends well.

Amanda The Book Slayer (Amanda_The_Book_Slayer) | 69 comments Book 17
Flat-Out Sexy (Fast Track, #1) by Erin McCarthy

Flat-Out Sexy by Erin McCarthy 5/5*****

This book was HOT!!!!! I mean the story was great and I loved all the character's. I can't wait to read the rest of the series or some of her other series.

Things I liked about this book:
-I really liked that the main character was a mom. She had two kids and it worked for the story. She was widowed 2 years back when her hubby got in a NASCAR accident. She ends up falling for another NASCAR racer Elec Monroe who is 6 years younger at age 26. I thought it was great reading about how moms can still be sexy.
-This is the first contemporary romance book that I really loved. The quotes are excellent from this book.

Amanda The Book Slayer (Amanda_The_Book_Slayer) | 69 comments Book 18
[image error]

Secrets of a Summer Night by Lisa Kleypas 4/5****

I thought that this was a great historical romance.

Great Quotes:
"Annabelle’s eyes stung as she stared at him, while need and inexhaustible tenderness gathered like an ache in her body. “I realized something,” she said huskily, “when I was standing outside the foundry, watching it burn and knowing you were inside.” She swallowed hard against the thickness in her throat. “I would rather have died in your arms, Simon, than face a lifetime without you. All those endless years… all those winters, summers… a hundred seasons of wanting you and never having you. Growing old, while you stayed eternally young in my memories.” She bit her lip and shook her head, while her eyes flooded. “I was wrong when I told you that I didn’t know where I belonged. I do. With you, Simon. Nothing matters except being with you. You’re stuck with me forever, and I’ll never listen when you tell me to go.” She managed a tremulous smile. “So you may as well stop complaining and resign yourself to it."

"It seemed as if some subtle current of recognition had passed between them... not as if they had met before... but as if they had come close several times until finally an impatient Fate had forced their paths to intersect."

"The earl shook his head, exhibiting a degree of frosty offense that could only be achieved by an aristocrat whose wishes had just been gainsaid. “I’ve never heard of a man being so eager to confess to the parent of a girl he’s just ruined,” he said sourly."

Amanda The Book Slayer (Amanda_The_Book_Slayer) | 69 comments Book 19
Highland Conqueror by Howell, Hannah

Highland Conqueror by Hannah Howell 3.5/5 ***

I do enjoy her highlander series. If you like highlander books with sexy Scottish men try hers.

This is short b/c doing 6 in one sitting makes my head hurt. lol

Amanda The Book Slayer (Amanda_The_Book_Slayer) | 69 comments Book 20
The Treasure Keeper (Drakon, #4) by Shana Abé

The Treasure Keeper by Shana Abé 3.5/5 ***

I do enjoy Shana's way of telling stories. I enjoyed this book. However, I still have to say that The Smoke Thief was my favorite.

I thought it was great that Zoe and Rhys have this connection not only with each other, but also with the dead. I liked reading about how they fall in love, but once Rhys is found I felt like the story quickly tried to finish. I guess I just wanted a little more from it.

Amanda The Book Slayer (Amanda_The_Book_Slayer) | 69 comments Book 21
The Hellion and the Highlander (Devil of the Highlands, #3) by Lynsay Sands

The Hellion and the Highlander by Lynsay Sands 3/5 ***

Okay, I love Highlander novels and I have to say this one was not my fav. I like Lynsay Sands vampire series, but I think that is as far as it goes for me. This story is about Kade, a Highlander who ends up falling in love with an English lady who takes care of him while he is healing. It is a great story idea, but the execution of it just lost me. I felt it was a little too drawn out. There was a lot of this and that, but it wasn't really necessary for me to understand the story.

Amanda The Book Slayer (Amanda_The_Book_Slayer) | 69 comments Book 22
Taming the Highland Bride (Devil of the Highlands, #2) by Lynsay Sands

Taming the Highland Bride by Lynsay Sands 2.5/5 **

I read this one after The Hellion and the Highlander. I thought that it was just a little better than okay. Lynsay Sands was still wordy of things that didn't seem important or could have been summed up. I felt like the character's fell a little short for me. The plot seemed a little predictable.

I think that Alex's character was lovable. Merry made me want to smack her a few times.

Amanda The Book Slayer (Amanda_The_Book_Slayer) | 69 comments Book 23
The Bride (Lairds' Fiancees, #1) by Julie Garwood

The Bride by Julie Garwood 5/5 *****

It is official! I love Julie Garwood's books about Highlanders. I have read 2 now and love both. They are def. only re-read list. This book she has a note about how she came up with the idea for this book and it is sweet. She was at a friends 50 anniverary and the couple was still in love. They came from two completely different backgrounds. Everyone told them it wouldn't work but 50 years later they are still going strong.

The book is about Jamie who is a spirited girl that is used to practically being a slave. Alec marries her and takes her back to his castle. They both change things about each other for the better. It is a cute story about how love will conquer all.

message 29: by Amanda (last edited Feb 11, 2011 11:00PM) (new)

Amanda The Book Slayer (Amanda_The_Book_Slayer) | 69 comments Book 24
Archangel's Consort by Nalini Singh

Archangel's Consort by Nalini Singh 5/5 *****

This one is my favorite in the series so far. Nalini Singh just keeps getting better. I mean the first two were great but this one takes the book places I never imagined.
Elena and Raphael finally go home to New York. Trouble follows them as Raphael's mother is waking up from her sleep. But is she the one who is the cause of all the weather that is going wonky.

This Series is a must read!!!!

Amanda The Book Slayer (Amanda_The_Book_Slayer) | 69 comments Book 25
Laird of the Mist (MacGregors, #1) by Paula Quinn

Laird of the Mist by Paula Quinn 3/5 ***

I really enjoy Highlander books and was excited to get this one. I thought it was just okay. I think I have stated before that I love Karen Marie Moning's series and Julie Garwood as well. Unfortunatly, this book just didn't stand up to those two authors.

Good parts about this book are: some original ideas about highlanders who are also shifters; strong alpha male character; and good chemistry between both main characters.

I felt it was a little predictable. It wasn't bad, but I don't think I will re-read this one.

Amanda The Book Slayer (Amanda_The_Book_Slayer) | 69 comments Book 26
Surrender (MacKinnon’s Rangers,  #1) by Pamela Clare

Surrender by Pamela Clare 3/5 ***

Okay, this one was a little different in the Highlander area. This was about a Highlander who had to go to the America's. There he gets drafted into leading this army against the French and Indian's. He either leads them or dies. He mets Anne who was betrayed by her uncle and sold into slavery for a crime she never committed. Iain saves her life and takes her with him. Classic story of Boy meets Girl and they fall in love.

If you are looking for a different twist with Highlanders I would say give it a shot.

Amanda The Book Slayer (Amanda_The_Book_Slayer) | 69 comments Book 27
The Secret (Highlands' Lairds, #1) by Julie Garwood

The Secret by Julie Garwood 4.5/5 ****

I loved this book. But I just couldn't rate it the same as Ransom. I thought that it was a great Highlander book. I love the way Julie Garwood tells stories. She has a strong Highlander, Iain who goes to get Judith from a member of his clan. You see how strong of a woman she is and watch them fall in love.

I gave it half a star less because the plot was a little predictable. I felt that Ransom was more original. Overall it is a must read and re-read. If you love Highlander books you have to read this one.

Quote:

"Iain to Judith : “You will like being married to me, Judith. I command it!"

Amanda The Book Slayer (Amanda_The_Book_Slayer) | 69 comments Book 28
The Wedding (Lairds' Fiancées, #2) by Julie Garwood

The Wedding by Julie Garwood 5/5 *****

Yet another great book by Julie Garwood. I had to give it a 5 out of 5. The main character Brenna is a spitfire. She is a stepdaughter who does everything for her family. The stable master sets Connor and Brenna up and pushes them to marriage. On their way back to his home they get married and slowly fall in love. The story just gets better from there.

Quote:

"Yes, I was simply curious, and no, I would never criticize you in frontof your followers. Do you have patience to endure one more question, husband>"
" What is it?"
" When do you suppose you'll leave me behind?"

Amanda The Book Slayer (Amanda_The_Book_Slayer) | 69 comments Book 29
Come Monday (Wild Irish, #1) by Mari Carr

Come Monday by Mari Carr 2/5 **

Really short. This book was like 100 some pages. I thought the storyline had promise, but just need some extra scenes. I felt like it was a race to the finish. Just highlight the events and end the book.

Amanda The Book Slayer (Amanda_The_Book_Slayer) | 69 comments Book 30
Gentle Rogue (Malory Family, #3) by Johanna Lindsey

Gentle Rogue by Johanna Lindsey 3/5 ***

So I don't know if it was just the story or if I'm not a pirate kind of reader. This was my first pirate book so I guess I will have to read others to make my decision.

If anyone has any suggestions for other pirate books let me know. Thanks

Amanda The Book Slayer (Amanda_The_Book_Slayer) | 69 comments Book 31
The Prize by Julie Garwood

The Prize by Julie Garwood 3.5/5 ***

Sigh.....Okay so loved her Lairds series. Not so big on this one. It wasn't bad, but just didn't suck me in like the rest of her books. This was about a Baron warrior who has to take Nicolaa's castle and take her back as the prize. She is strong willed and doesn't get along with Royce until by the twist of fate she gets to pick her husband instead of them picking her. Love blooms and he solves all of her families problems. End of story. Great book, but I don't know if I will re-read it.

Amanda The Book Slayer (Amanda_The_Book_Slayer) | 69 comments Book 32
Fired Up (Dreamlight Trilogy, #1, Arcane Society, #7) by Jayne Ann Krentz

Fired Up by Jayne Ann Krentz 3.5/5***

I really enjoy the arcane society books. This one is a bit different because it the start of the dream trilogy within the arcane society series.

I am a bigger fan of the Hunter's stories so far over this dream series. The book was interesting. It had a good story line with enough romance to keep me interested. However, I don't think this is a re-read for me. I will keep reading the series though.

Amanda The Book Slayer (Amanda_The_Book_Slayer) | 69 comments Book 33
Twice Bitten (Chicagoland Vampires, #3) by Chloe Neill

Twice Bitten by Chloe Neill 5/5 *****

This is a re-read for me. I think this is the 3rd or 4th time I have read this book. I really needed a book that I loved to get me back on track. I just wasn't feeling the last few books and was waiting for the next book of The Lords of Vice series.

Since this is a re-read I will put favorite quotes up.

"You undo me, Merit. Wholly and completely. You don't take me at my word. You challenge me at every opportunity. And that means when I'm with you, I am less than the head of this House...and I am more than the head of this House. I am a man." He stroked my cheeks with his thumbs. "In my very, very long life, I need you more than I have ever needed anything."

"He paused, then tapped a finger against the box. “This is a wish,” he said quietly, “that even after four hundred years of existence, a man can be strong enough to accept the gifts he’s given.”
“Ethan—,” I began, but he shook his head.
“I’m prepared to wait for a positive response.”
“That’s going to take a while.”
Ethan lifted a single eyebrow, a grin lifting one corner of his mouth. “Sentinel, I am immortal."

"Lindsey patted my arm. “Don’t be embarrassed. It’s about time you two made the beast with two backs.”
I had to work to form words. “There are so many things wrong with that statement, I don’t know where to start."

Favorite scene in the book.
Margot winked at her. “Every so often, we gather together. We take a little time—a little cathartic time—to vent about those quirks that drive us
crazy.”

Elbows on the table, I leaned forward. “So, which of the quirks are we talking about?”

“First item on the list—the raising of the eyebrow.” To demonstrate, she arched a carefully sculpted black brow of her own, then peered around at each of us.

Amanda The Book Slayer (Amanda_The_Book_Slayer) | 69 comments Book 34
After Dark with a Scoundrel (Lords of Vice, #3) by Alexandra Hawkins

After Dark with a Scoundrel by Alexandra Hawkins 5/5 *****

Love, Love, Love this series. This one if my favorite so far. This is about Dare and Frost's sister, Regan. She always fancied Dare, but was too young and her brother sent her away to finishing school after a failed chemical experiment. She came back a women and Dare finally allowed himself to fall in love with her. Great story.

Amanda The Book Slayer (Amanda_The_Book_Slayer) | 69 comments Book 35
Halfway Hexed (Southern Witch, #3) by Kimberly Frost by Kimberly Frost 5/5 *****

Loved this book and love this series. If you enjoy the Sookie Stackhouse books than I suggest reading this series.

Tammy Jo is a typical Southern woman, polite to a fault. She also has witch blood from her mother and fae blood from her father. This mix means that she can't feel the magic that she uses. Think of it as driving a car being blind or deaf. Very hazardous and shouldn't be done. However, Bryn allows her to feel magic through the bond she has created with him.

Amanda The Book Slayer (Amanda_The_Book_Slayer) | 69 comments Book 36
Bayou Moon (The Edge, #2) by Ilona Andrews

Bayou Moon by Ilona Andrews 4/5 ****

Ilona Andrews does it again. That team just keeps coming out with excellent books. This story is about William and how he finds and comes to love Cerise. William gets a chance to be a hero while finding someone who wants him for who he is.

Great addition to the Edge series.

Amanda The Book Slayer (Amanda_The_Book_Slayer) | 69 comments Book 37
Seduce Me at Sunrise (The Hathaways, #2) by Lisa Kleypas

Seduce Me at Sunrise by Lisa Kleypas 3/5 ***

So I will just say it, I am not a huge fan of Lisa Kleypas. I think she is okay for young adult, but I needed a little more from her.
This book was about Merripen and Win. Good story, but just didn't captivate me. There was a lot of skimming involved.

If you are looking for an easy read, maybe a beach book this would be a good option.

Amanda The Book Slayer (Amanda_The_Book_Slayer) | 69 comments Book 38
Unholy Ghosts (Downside Ghosts, #1) by Stacia Kane

Unholy Ghosts by Stacia Kane 4.5/5 ****

This is a re-read for me. I thought the book was okay on my first read. It took a while for me to really grasp the ideas and setting of the book. I took the ride and couldn't stop from reading the other two books. I have to say the third book was excellent. It made me laugh and cry. Enough about book 3 this is book 1.

Key point, I know the main character Chessie does drugs and I do not support this, but the books have a whole different look on life and I have fallen in love with the characters. I say give it a try. Get it from the Library is you are nervous about it.

My vote is with Terrible.

Amanda The Book Slayer (Amanda_The_Book_Slayer) | 69 comments Book 39
Ransom (Highlands' Lairds, #2) by Julie Garwood

Ransom by Julie Garwood 5/5 *****

Re-Read

I love this book. It is a great Highlander book. Must read!!!!!!

Amanda The Book Slayer (Amanda_The_Book_Slayer) | 69 comments Book 40
Beyond the Highland Mist (Highlander, #1) by Karen Marie Moning

Beyond the Highland Mist by Karen Marie Moning 5/5 *****

Re-Read
This is yet again another great Highlander read. I love this whole series. If you haven't read it, then you should try it.

Amanda The Book Slayer (Amanda_The_Book_Slayer) | 69 comments Book 41
Blood of the Rose (The Tudor Vampire Chronicles, #2) by Kate Pearce

Blood of the Rose by Kate Pearce 5/5 *****

Excellent Second book in this series. I really enjoyed how she tied up all the ends with Rosalind and Christopher. How can you not love a good love story with action and mystery mixed with druids and vampires. Really this was just as good as the first book.
The next book looks promising as well. I can't wait to find out what happens with Rhys.

Amanda The Book Slayer (Amanda_The_Book_Slayer) | 69 comments Book 42
Splendid (Splendid Trilogy, #1) by Julia Quinn

Splendid by Julia Quinn 3.5/5 ***
Emma is a head strong American girl who is sent over to family in London for the season. She isn't looking to find a man, but ends up with one anyways. Emma meets her "Mr.Darcy", Alex under unlikely circumstances. Emma ends up dressing up in a maids outfit to fetch some eggs for Cook, when she saves Alex's Nephew. Alex ends up finding out that Emma is not a maid and on the market. He tries to run from the attraction but can't seem to get enough of Emma.

Great historical love story. I would recommend this to anyone. I think it is a great read for young adults and adults alike.

Quote:
"I have thoroughly compromised your niece," Alex declared. "Will you please insist that she marry me?"
Caroline didn't bat an eyelash. "This", she announced, "is most peculiar."

Amanda The Book Slayer (Amanda_The_Book_Slayer) | 69 comments Book 43
Master of the Highlands  (Highlands, #1) by Veronica Wolff

Master of the Highlands by Veronica Wolff 4/5 ****

Lily finds herself in the Highlands after her Grandmothers death. This was a way for her to say good-bye to her. Lily ends up exploring the highlands and ends up weaving her way in an ongoing maze. Lily winds up to 1654. Ewen finds her as she is fainting from the time travel. He takes her home and helps her adjust. They realize that they can't fight the attraction and fall head over heels for each other. She saves him and he saves her from a lonely, lonely life.

Amanda The Book Slayer (Amanda_The_Book_Slayer) | 69 comments Book 44
Bond with Me (Fallen, #1) by Anne Marsh

Bond with Me by Anne Marsh 2.5/5 **

Got this book because it was a free ebook. I thought this book was okay. It was about a fallen angel who ends up finding his soul mate. It all happens because Mischka's cousin goes missing and needs help finding her. One thing leads to another and BOOM! They fall in love. Brends ends up getting his wings back. All ends up happy. I would recommend this book to people who are looking for a quick, easy read that doesn't have a complicated plot.

Amanda The Book Slayer (Amanda_The_Book_Slayer) | 69 comments Book 45
The Charm School (Calhoun #1) by Susan Wiggs

The Charm School by Susan Wiggs 4.5/5 ****

Excellent book about how everyone can find love, even those who feel that they don't match up to those around them. Isadora Peabody is the ugly duckling in her family. She is surrounded by beautiful people who make matches and babies with more beautiful people. She was shunned all her life and dreams of escaping. Isadora is brilliant and witty although shy with most people around her. Enter Ryan Calhoun who makes a exceptional run on the ship he is over. Isadora meets his mother and takes her to him. She ends up working a deal to get her away from her family and off on a trip on the ship Ryan is commanding. She ends up blooming during the trip and shedding all propriety. She learns to love herself and find friends in the whole crew. Ryan falls in love with her and she falls in love with him as well. Will there love survive what Ryan has to do to free his "brother's" wife and children(who happens to be slaves)?

Love this book. It is the first pirate book and I just couldn't get enough of. I would recommend this book to anyone who is looking for a great historical romance or sexy pirate book.

« previous 1