Young Adult Fiction for Adults discussion

Challenges > Monthly ideas

Comments (showing 1-17 of 17) (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 7191 comments Ok. In my cozy mystery group we have two things we do each month. The first is we pick two themes for the month (usually matching things related to the month) and everyone reads (or tries) at least one books related to that theme. For reference, this month (Dec.) our theme was Relaxation (since the holidays make people stressed) and Friendship. Everyone posts the books they choose within the theme and reads them within the month and gives updates/feedback.

The other thing my cozy group does is a "featured author" read, where we pick one (1) author and everyone reads a book by that author (or tries -- no commitment) that month -- for refence our author this month is Agatha Christie.

Would anyone be interested in starting either of these type of threads related to YA books/authors??? I think it is a great way for people to read books or find authors they would not have normally found. Just let me know. If there is a good response I will start a thread for one or both of these ideas. Thanks!

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) (Ter05) | 374 comments Sounds interesting.

message 3: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) I think that sounds perfect!

I'm excited for January themes.

Brittany (finally graduated and can once again read for fun) | 1328 comments I really like the featured author idea.

message 5: by Arphaxad (new)

Arphaxad | 335 comments Yeah, sounds good. I need to be encouraged to branch out a bit! :)

message 6: by Cécilia (new)

Cécilia L. | 296 comments I think that's a good idea. I have a preference for the themes idea. :)

message 7: by Catie (new)

Catie (nematome) Sounds fabulous Heidi!

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 7191 comments Ok since it is already Jan. I am wondering when to start -Jan. or wait until Feb.???

message 9: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) It's only the first, I'd be okay with at least one theme for this month...

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 7191 comments Ok thanks Wendy. Starting with the theme thread in Jan sounds good because it is usually pretty broad and easier to find a book. I looked up January on Wikipedia and found some theme ideas - in January there is
1. Martin Luther King Day, so perhaps a book about oppression or race relations??
2. Australia Day - book written by Aussie author and/or book based in Australia??
3. Coming of Age Day in Japan - coming of age stories??
4. New Years - books about fresh starts/new beginnings??

I was going to narrow it down to two and start a new thread. Any preference and/or other theme ideas for Jan.??

I think I will wait on the featured author for Feb so I can get some nominations from everyone. How does that sounds?

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) (Ter05) | 374 comments Well, I am getting ready to read a book by an Australian author so that appeals to me.

message 12: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) I like the coming of age idea.

message 13: by Catie (new)

Catie (nematome) I like the MLK Jr Day idea, but mainly because I already have a book in mind :)

message 14: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) HAHA, I don't think we're helping much, Heidi.

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) (Ter05) | 374 comments Heidi did say two themes so that should help. I have always been a little uneasy about a book club because I have certain kinds of books I like and there are so many of those to choose from that I really am not real interested in going into something else. Plus I will have to buy it since there is no library here. But that doesn't mean I am not interested in trying!

message 16: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) well the nice thing is that you can pick any book. I'm not a big fan of group reads and book clubs because you are given one book, and I may not want to read it.

But this way we just have a theme and it can be any genre. This sounds interesting.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 7191 comments Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) wrote: "Heidi did say two themes so that should help. I have always been a little uneasy about a book club because I have certain kinds of books I like and there are so many of those to choose from that I..."

I get all my books from the library too and this is volunteer only - so no obligations :) I will say I have stretched the theme to fit the books I already planned to read on more than one occassion in my other group :)

unread topics | mark unread