Dickens! Mwah! discussion

Dicken's adaptations to film: Your thoughts

Comments (showing 1-11 of 11) (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) I have seen Our Mutual Friend. Bleak House, A Christmas Carol, and thought they were all well-made. Anyone else like Charles Dickens's books adapted to movies?

message 2: by Alice (new)

Alice Tracy | 1 comments My book group read A Christmas Carol for the holidays and we all enjoyed reading the original. The discussion turned to various movie adaptations -- apparently there are a number. I remember people liking the version starring Bill Murray, Scrooged, but forget what the others were. Which one did you see?

Loved the BBC Bleak House! Haven't seen Our Mutual Friend.

Alice

message 3: by Robin (last edited Dec 29, 2010 05:17PM) (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) I liked the George C. Scott version, I think there is a Kelsey Grammer version, will not see Jim Carrey's version. Bill Murray's was okay, with satirical humor added for good measure, in the way Bill Murray usually does. I just saw Our Mutual Friend recently, and at the end it does give background details of Dickens. By all means, you need to see it. I have not read A Christmas Carol, I remember the cartoon version with Mr. Magoo. LOL

message 4: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Joseph | 16 comments I just saw David copperfield b/w 1935 with w.c fields and lionel barrymore among other greats.Great movie and great adaptation -2hrs- clever and thoughtfull cutting of the story leaves you feeling it stayed as true to the story line as possible given the time constraints. Having just read the book for the second time just before watching the movie I was impressed with the great care of the script. The bleak house made recently with gillian anderson is very well done. high production values and given 4hrs to tell the story provides the needed framework for a well above average adaptation.

message 5: by Jackie Renee (new)

Jackie Renee Johnson (jrjohnson1408) I watch the George C. Scott version of A Christmas Carol every year on Christmas Eve (I read the book, too).

I have also seen (and enjoyed) Sir David Lean's versions of Oliver Twist & Great Expectations. I love Ronald Colman's A Tale of Two Cities. I have seen W.C. Field's David Copperfield but didn't really care for it (I don't like W.C. Fields very much).

I am curious about the various BBC adaptations. I haven't seen any of them, but I would like to watch them if they are worthwhile.

message 6: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) Bleak House I would recommend if you have an afternoon to spare. Our Mutual Friend is good too. Haven't seen the David Copperfield, or Oliver Twist, but saw Oliver the musical, which I thought was great.

message 7: by Jules (new)

Jules I recently watched a BBC ministries version of Little Dorrit. It was fantastic!

message 8: by Gary (new)

Gary | 21 comments Alistar Sims in the 1954 version is my favorite!

message 9: by Paul (last edited Dec 18, 2011 10:34AM) (new)

Paul | 1 comments I absolutely love the version of A Christmas Carol that stars Patrick Stewart. I think he is a perfect Scrooge!

message 10: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Helm-Ropelato I've watched some film and television versions of Dickens' work and enjoyed some of them. Still, I think that no director or screenwriter (that I've seen) has yet achieved the unique balance of light and darkness that characterizes Dickens novels. All film versions that I've seen err by mis-managing the dark -- which in Dickens work is very, very dark -- and neglecting to include enough of the light. I can't imagine how it could be done but I'm hopeful that someday a director and/or screenwriter will find the way.

message 11: by Jodie (new)

Jodie (jodiereadsbooks) | 2 comments Currently watching the 2012 film of Expectations from Mike Newell, which I really like. But I also loved the BBC one with Gillian Anderson and Ray Winstone. The BBC David Copperfield with Maggie Smith as Betsy is lovely too.

unread topics | mark unread