The History Book Club discussion

MY BOOKS AND I > RECENTLY ACQUIRED BOOKS

Comments (showing 351-400 of 476) (476 new)    post a comment »

message 351: by Jill, Assisting Moderator - Global NF, HF, European/Brit. Hist/Music (new)

Jill Hutchinson (Bucs1960) | 6603 comments I am looking forward to reading it, Mckris10 and I certainly liked the film. Thanks for your comments.
Please note that when citing a book, the book cover is to be shown as follows:

The Age of Innocence (Barnes & Noble Classics Series) by Edith Wharton by Edith WhartonEdith Wharton

Mckris10 | 20 comments Whoops, I'm sorry, I thought I cited the cover, but I now see that I got the title instead. I didn't even notice that last night when I posted my comment, otherwise I would have corrected it. :o) I will do better next time!

message 353: by Jill, Assisting Moderator - Global NF, HF, European/Brit. Hist/Music (new)

Jill Hutchinson (Bucs1960) | 6603 comments Thanks......the default is set to "title", so it's easy to make that error.

message 354: by Bryan, Assisting Moderator - Presidential Series (new)

Mckris10 | 20 comments You have some really interesting looking books there, Bryan. I added them to my ever growing TBR list, thanks!

Krystal (queenravenclaw) | 330 comments I have many books to read and again did not read anything today. I just picked up on Monday March 26 I am huge fan of Michelle Zink so I bought her new book A Temptation of Angels by Michelle Zinkby Michelle ZinkMichelle Zink. I'm such a huge fan that i won one of her Prophecy of the Sisters (Prophecy of the Sisters, #1) by Michelle Zinkfanpacks

message 357: by Tom (last edited Apr 11, 2012 04:17PM) (new)

Tom | 367 comments Some used books delivered today in my post...

Wild Bill Donovan  The Spymaster Who Created the OSS and Modern American Espionage by Douglas Waller by Douglas Waller
The Thousand-mile War by Brian GarfieldThe Thousand-Mile War by Brian Garfield Brian Garfield

Alisa (MsTaz) | 5292 comments Looks like some great stuff Tom!

Alisa (MsTaz) | 5292 comments Someday I will make a Costco shopping run without picking up a book . . . but today was not the day.

Picked this up as a gift for a friend who is about to turn 60. He has creaky knees and likes to hike so I hope he takes this in the spirit in which it is intended!
The Creaky Knees Guide Washington  The 100 Best Easy Hikes in the State by Seabury Blair Jr. by Seabury Blair Jr.

This caught my random attention but hs mixed reviews by goodreads readers. What the heck, I'll give it a try.
Hitler's Pope by John Cornwell by John Cornwell

Baseball novel by one of my favorite authors and a new hot release. Too tempting to pass up.

Calico Joe by John Grisham by John GrishamJohn Grisham

message 360: by Jill, Assisting Moderator - Global NF, HF, European/Brit. Hist/Music (new)

Jill Hutchinson (Bucs1960) | 6603 comments Just got this book which deals with the great Mississippi flood of 1927. An award winning book, it is an American epic of science, politics, race, honor, high society and the Mississippi River. The flood of 1927 was one of the greatest natural disasters this country has ever known and is nearly forgotten today. I can't wait to start reading it.....but when? So many books ahead of it on my TBR list.

Rising Tide  The Great Mississippi Flood of 1927 and How It Changed America by John M. Barry by John M. BarryJohn M. Barry

Alisa (MsTaz) | 5292 comments I have tha on my to-read list too!! Have heard good things. Keep us posted. When will we have time to read it all?

message 362: by Bryan, Assisting Moderator - Presidential Series (new)

Bryan Craig | 10294 comments I fear I won't have time, because your take one off and another comes on. The madness!!

message 363: by Jill, Assisting Moderator - Global NF, HF, European/Brit. Hist/Music (new)

Jill Hutchinson (Bucs1960) | 6603 comments I get mad at myself since I have wonderful books that have been on my shelves forever........and then someone here recommends and off I go to get another new book, read it, and my old ones just keep languishing. I feel like Sisyphus!!!

message 364: by Bryan, Assisting Moderator - Presidential Series (new)

Bryan Craig | 10294 comments Amen, Jill, amen.

Nicole Wandering through the used bookstores and picked up this book for $5.

Command of Office  How War, Secrecy, and Deception Transformed the Presidency, from Theodore Roosevelt to George W. Bush by Steven GraubardbySteven Graubard(no photo)

message 366: by Jill, Assisting Moderator - Global NF, HF, European/Brit. Hist/Music (new)

Jill Hutchinson (Bucs1960) | 6603 comments Great buy, Nicole!!

message 367: by Bryan, Assisting Moderator - Presidential Series (new)

Bryan Craig | 10294 comments Interesting, Nicole, I don't know that one. Let us know how it goes. I will post on the president thread.

Nicole I will post once I get to reading it...and thank you. I couldn't figure out which thread to post it on.

message 369: by Jill, Assisting Moderator - Global NF, HF, European/Brit. Hist/Music (new)

Jill Hutchinson (Bucs1960) | 6603 comments I should never stop at a bookstore when it is not on my to-do list........but, of course I did and there it was......been looking for this book for a while and the library did not have it.
It is the biography of Reinhard Heydrich,one of the most feared men of the 20th century and an appalling figure even in the context of the Nazi leadership....the overlord of Nazi occupied Bohemia and Moravia and leading planner of the "Final Solution". Surprisingly, he does not receive as much attention as some of the other Nazi leaders.

Hitler's Hangman  The Life of Heydrich by Robert Gerwarth by Robert Gerwarth

'Aussie Rick' (AussieRick) Hi Jill, I think you will find your new book on Heydrich a very interesting read, he is quite an intriguing man. The allies were quite worried about him as he was quite effective in his work and had the potential to great things (not good ones though). He was the only nazi that the allies ever actually assassinated. Let us know what you think of the book once you have had a chnace to read it.

message 371: by Jill, Assisting Moderator - Global NF, HF, European/Brit. Hist/Music (new)

Jill Hutchinson (Bucs1960) | 6603 comments I saw a documentary about him and was disgusted......the family man who could kill children without blinking an eye. I am very interested in finding out more about him and what made him tick.

Alisa (MsTaz) | 5292 comments Made so much progress on the book I was reading on the plane on my outbound flight I realized I would need something new for the return. Shopping for a book in an airport kiosk isn't very glamorous but I always manage to find something good. Although the wisdom of picking up a book about a plane crash when you are about to get on a plane is dubious at best!
Lost in Shangri-la by Mitchell Zuckoff by Mitchell ZuckoffMitchell Zuckoff

message 373: by Jill, Assisting Moderator - Global NF, HF, European/Brit. Hist/Music (new)

Jill Hutchinson (Bucs1960) | 6603 comments Alisa!!!!!! Not a good choice when you are traveling by plane.....but I have seen it on an advert here on GR and it looks interesting.

message 374: by Jill, Assisting Moderator - Global NF, HF, European/Brit. Hist/Music (new)

Jill Hutchinson (Bucs1960) | 6603 comments Just picked up this book and it looks like it would appeal to readers with various tastes in history.......sports, race relations, politics, and NYC in general. It tells of 1977, a pivotal year of a bright city in a dark hour and of parallel conflicts that were taking place across the city.

Ladies and Gentlemen, the Bronx is Burning  1977, Baseball, Politics, and the Battle for the Soul of a City by Jonathan Mahler by Jonathan Mahler

Alisa (MsTaz) | 5292 comments seems i always end up buying a book when i make a run to my favorite local warehouse store. the most recent one i picked up is one i know several folks have read and it seems to garner mixed reviews. i must say that has made me a little more curious about it! when i get to it, well that is another thing altogether.
In the Garden of Beasts  Love, Terror, and an American Family in Hitler's Berlin by Erik Larson by Erik LarsonErik Larson

message 376: by Jill, Assisting Moderator - Global NF, HF, European/Brit. Hist/Music (new)

Jill Hutchinson (Bucs1960) | 6603 comments I'll be interested in your reaction, Alisa. I was not terribly fond of it as you know.......but just my opinion.

message 377: by Bryan, Assisting Moderator - Presidential Series (new)

Bryan Craig | 10294 comments Went to my favorite book fair and picked up:

American Lion  Andrew Jackson in the White House by Jon Meacham Jon MeachamJon Meacham

Jackie Robinson  A Biography by Arnold RampersadArnold Rampersad

The Paradoxes of the American Presidency by Thomas E. CroninThomas E. Cronin

I would have done more damage, but thankfully, my 3 year old pushed me out the door, lol.

message 378: by Jill, Assisting Moderator - Global NF, HF, European/Brit. Hist/Music (new)

Jill Hutchinson (Bucs1960) | 6603 comments I made a vow that I would buy no more books until I read some of those in my TBR pile.....well, my vow was worthless since I saw this book and couldn't resist. Has anyone here read it?

The Last Stand  Custer, Sitting Bull, and the Battle of the Little Bighorn by Nathaniel Philbrick by Nathaniel PhilbrickNathaniel Philbrick

'Aussie Rick' (AussieRick) Hi Jill, The Last Stand is a very good account of the events leading up to Custers Last Stand, a good buy indeed and I'm sure you will really enjoy it.

The Last Stand  Custer, Sitting Bull, and the Battle of the Little Bighorn by Nathaniel Philbrick by Nathaniel PhilbrickNathaniel Philbrick

message 380: by Mark (new)

Mark Mortensen Jill wrote: "I made a vow that I would buy no more books until I read some of those in my TBR pile.....well, my vow was worthless since I saw this book and couldn't resist. Has anyone here read it?

[bookcover:..."

I have not read it. I came very close to picking it up as I liked the cover, but I'm also trying to stay close to my TBR pile.

message 381: by Jill, Assisting Moderator - Global NF, HF, European/Brit. Hist/Music (last edited Oct 08, 2012 07:09PM) (new)

Jill Hutchinson (Bucs1960) | 6603 comments 'Aussie Rick' wrote: "Hi Jill, The Last Stand is a very good account of the events leading up to Custers Last Stand, a good buy indeed and I'm sure you will really enjoy it.

[bookcover:The Last Stand: Custer, Sitting B..."

Thanks, AR....I had a feeling it would be worth the buy.
Mark....I'll let you know and then you can run out and buy it and stray from your TBR pile!!!

message 382: by Mark (new)

Mark Mortensen Most of the time I stray I'm glad I did. :-)

message 383: by Bryan, Assisting Moderator - Presidential Series (new)

Bryan Craig | 10294 comments Picked up an autographed copy of:

George F. Kennan  An American Life by John Lewis Gaddis John Lewis GaddisJohn Lewis Gaddis

message 384: by Alisa (last edited Dec 06, 2012 07:54AM) (new)

Alisa (MsTaz) | 5292 comments I am powerless walking by the book aisle in my favorite warehouse retailer but I was pleased to find these two the other day, both on my to-read list.

Rising Tide  The Great Mississippi Flood of 1927 and How It Changed America by John M. Barry by John M. BarryJohn M. Barry
A Train in Winter  An Extraordinary Story of Women, Friendship, and Resistance in Occupied France by Caroline Moorehead by Caroline MooreheadCaroline Moorehead

message 385: by Jill, Assisting Moderator - Global NF, HF, European/Brit. Hist/Music (new)

Jill Hutchinson (Bucs1960) | 6603 comments I have read the Mississippi flood book.......it is very well done.

Alisa (MsTaz) | 5292 comments I recal that Jill. It's been on my list for awhile and hope to get to it in the coming year.

message 387: by Selena (last edited Dec 06, 2012 08:33PM) (new)

Selena | 4 comments I went to the library's book sale and bought Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert by Elizabeth Gilbert, Reading Lolita in Tehran by Azar Nafisi by Azar Nafisi, The Cape Ann by Faith Sullivan by Faith Sullivan Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell by David Mitchell, The Reader by Bernhard Schlink by Bernhard Schlink and Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor E. Frankl by Viktor E. Frankl among others.

Alisa (MsTaz) | 5292 comments Wow Selena, that is quite a cache! Ought to keep you busy for awhile, eh?

message 389: by 'Aussie Rick' (last edited Dec 08, 2012 01:01PM) (new)

'Aussie Rick' (AussieRick) I picked up a copies of these books today, both look pretty interesting, fingers crossed they are:

Napoleon on Elba  The Diary of an Eyewitness to Exile by Neil Campbell by Neil Campbell

Ten Years of Exile by Anne-Louise-Germaine de Staël by Anne-Louise-Germaine de StaëlAnne-Louise-Germaine de Staël

message 390: by Ann (last edited Dec 08, 2012 07:56AM) (new)

Ann | 442 comments Selena,
Wow! You really got a great stash at the library sale. Of those you mentioned, I especially liked Reading Lolita in Tehran by Azar Nafisi. It is particularly interesting if you have read any of the Western classics her students discussed in secret, but it is also a fascinating account of what it was like to live under the early Islamic revolution. I also enjoyed the author's Things I've Been Silent About: Memories. She writes very well, and I have learned a lot about Iran and its relationship with the U.S. from her.

Reading Lolita in Tehran by Azar Nafisi Things I've Been Silent About  Memories by Azar Nafisi by Azar Nafisi

message 391: by Jill, Assisting Moderator - Global NF, HF, European/Brit. Hist/Music (new)

Jill Hutchinson (Bucs1960) | 6603 comments 'Aussie Rick' wrote: "I picked up a copies of these books today, both look pretty interesting, fingers crossed they are:

Napoleon on Elba  The Diary of an Eyewitness to Exile by Neil Campbell by Neil Campbell

[book..."

Madame de Stael was a very unusual woman so that book should be interesting..........although I wonder how much veracity there is in her memoirs. Let me know what you think.

BTW, you forgot to cite her picture.....it is quite glamorous!!

[bookcover:Ten Years of Exile|2182585] by Anne-Louise-Germaine de StaëlAnne-Louise-Germaine de Staël

'Aussie Rick' (AussieRick) Fixed :)

message 393: by Jill, Assisting Moderator - Global NF, HF, European/Brit. Hist/Music (new)

Jill Hutchinson (Bucs1960) | 6603 comments Now mine is messed up!!!....and it won't fix.

'Aussie Rick' (AussieRick) Aaah, computers what would we do without them :)

message 395: by Bryan, Assisting Moderator - Presidential Series (new)

Bryan Craig | 10294 comments 'Aussie Rick' wrote: "Aaah, computers what would we do without them :)"

Curl up in a ball in a fetal position, lol.

message 396: by Jerome, Assisting Moderator (T) - Military History (new)

Jerome | 1746 comments Just received a recent purchase in the mail:

So Far From God  The U. S. War With Mexico, 1846-1848 by John S.D. Eisenhower by John S.D. Eisenhower

And some recent orders from the library:

Tanker War  America's First Conflict with Iran, 1987-1988 by Lee Allen Zatarain by Lee Allen Zatarain

The Last Refuge  Yemen, al-Qaeda, and America's War in Arabia by Gregory Johnsen by Gregory Johnsen

The Secret War Against Hanoi  The Untold Story of Spies, Saboteurs, and Covert Warriors in North Vietnam by Richard H. Shultz Jr. by Richard H. Shultz Jr.

Krystal (queenravenclaw) | 330 comments Im back in this thread again i myself have not bought a book since the end of March (my mom bought me one for my bday in july) but i was at chapters yesterday(Canadian chain of bookstore) and just had to splurge

Gift for mom she wanted a book from chapters1. Cant find in GR database and 2 dont want her finding out(she's sitting next to me atm)

Bought myself The Enchantress (The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel, #6) by Michael Scott by Michael ScottMichael Scott

Formatting is hard on the tablet and a planner for $10 you would think not bad two books plus planner yea well i spent nearly $60 in total.

message 398: by Bryan, Assisting Moderator - Presidential Series (new)

Bryan Craig | 10294 comments You got the format, Krystal, thanks.

message 399: by Jill, Assisting Moderator - Global NF, HF, European/Brit. Hist/Music (new)

Jill Hutchinson (Bucs1960) | 6603 comments Got this book at the library sale because it looked interesting after I leafed through it. It has to go on my ever increasing TBR pile but I will get to it eventually.

Touched With Fire  Five Presidents And The Civil War Battles That Made Them by James M. Perry by James M. Perry

Krystal (queenravenclaw) | 330 comments Its showing up now and its not easy formatting on the goodreads app. Got another book at walmart yesterday

The Queen's Gamble (Thornleigh, #4) by Barbara Kyle by Barbara KyleBarbara Kyle