Young Writers discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > Books That Changed Your Life

Comments (showing 1-50 of 398) (398 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

message 1: by Annie , butts butts butts butts butts (last edited Dec 28, 2010 11:55AM) (new)

Annie  Carlson (annielawlz) | 3393 comments Mod
There are some books that really affect my life. Sometimes after I read a book, I will get done with it and say, "wow."

Like, some books give me a whole new outlook and a different way of thinking of things.

Some books are complete crap. They were terrible and and I wish I never would have read them. They changed my life too, though.

So yes, what books changed your life?

message 2: by Tesni (last edited Dec 28, 2010 01:50PM) (new)

Tesni (okayfrancis) | 5138 comments Twilight changed my life, because it made me realise what truly terrible literature is.

Jinx by Margaret Wild changed my life for the better, probably, because it opened me up to the awesome world that is novels-in-verse. And if I hadn't started so avidly reading them, then I probably wouldn't have written my own.

message 3: by Jessicaaaa (new)

Jessicaaaa | 77 comments I agree with you on twilight. I went through and edited and revised and change it so many times.

Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy really changed my life made me realize the true meaning. And A million little pieces. Oh goodness, That book its truly amazing.

Yue [Wonder of living] (swimgeek101) | 4458 comments The Book Thief!

message 5: by Baxter, butts butts butts (new)

Baxter (julietrocksmysocks) | 2455 comments Mod
Ninja wrote: "I agree with you on twilight. I went through and edited and revised and change it so many times.

Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy really changed my life made me realize the true meaning. And A mill..."

Good choice with the guide! That's one that changed me too. Made me realize the amount of zaniness you could get away with in a novel.

Naked Lunch is the big one that changed me, which shouldn't surprise anybody who knows me. It's my favorite book and just completely obliterated everything I thought I knew about books.

message 6: by Kriss (last edited Dec 28, 2010 02:37PM) (new)

Kriss (Krisslee) | 4751 comments The Monstrumologist was one. As was The Curse of the Wendigo. Some interesting philosophy in those.

Kendall [Kenny] (poeticshark) | 10786 comments The book After by Amy Efaw, and the book Stolen by Lucy Christopher really made me think about the world differently. Both portrayed very different issues in very different styles that somehow made me think so much clearer.

They were two of the books that had the power to make me actually think about the meaning behind the story, not what's thrown in my face, glaringly obvious. They were beautiful (and I'll admit they made me cry).

message 8: by Tesni (new)

Tesni (okayfrancis) | 5138 comments I've been meaning to read both of those for months. I do have a copy of Stolen waiting for me on my bookcase, but I've been reading too much other stuff to get round to it.

Oh, and Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma. Totally got me thinking about love in all its forms, even incestuous, and such.

Kendall [Kenny] (poeticshark) | 10786 comments You should definitely read them. They're amazing. Stolen was so captivating I read it in about two hours.

message 10: by Tesni (new)

Tesni (okayfrancis) | 5138 comments I shall have to. I've just been borrowing stacks of other books from the library and such and never getting round to reading the books that I've owned for ages.

Kendall [Kenny] (poeticshark) | 10786 comments That happens to me too. I bought Clockwork Angel in the summer and was really excited to read it, but then I was given library books to read...thus I haven't read it yet.

message 12: by Tesni (new)

Tesni (okayfrancis) | 5138 comments Alas. I always tell myself, "I'll stop borrowing books from the library or buying more until I've read all the ones on my shelf at the moment," but it never works and I always succumb to borrowing/buying more.

message 13: by Meagan (new)

Meagan (meagab) | 4980 comments Kenny *Chasing Shadows at Midnight* wrote: "The book After by Amy Efaw, and the book Stolen by Lucy Christopher really made me think about the world differently. Both portrayed very different issues in very different styles that somehow made..."

I read Stolen. It was...nice.

Kendall [Kenny] (poeticshark) | 10786 comments Autumn wrote: "Kenny *Chasing Shadows at Midnight* wrote: "The book After by Amy Efaw, and the book Stolen by Lucy Christopher really made me think about the world differently. Both portrayed very different issue..."

I liked it a lot. :D

Kendall [Kenny] (poeticshark) | 10786 comments T e s n i wrote: "Alas. I always tell myself, "I'll stop borrowing books from the library or buying more until I've read all the ones on my shelf at the moment," but it never works and I always succumb to borrowing..."

Ditto.

message 16: by Meagan (new)

Meagan (meagab) | 4980 comments Kenny *Chasing Shadows at Midnight* wrote: "Autumn wrote: "Kenny *Chasing Shadows at Midnight* wrote: "The book After by Amy Efaw, and the book Stolen by Lucy Christopher really made me think about the world differently. Both portrayed very ..."

'Twas thoughtprovoking. But I thought it was kind of creepy...and sort of drawn out at times.

message 17: by Alicia (Lav) (new)

Alicia (Lav) | 22604 comments Mod
After by Amy Efaw was amazing.

Kendall [Kenny] (poeticshark) | 10786 comments Autumn wrote: "Kenny *Chasing Shadows at Midnight* wrote: "Autumn wrote: "Kenny *Chasing Shadows at Midnight* wrote: "The book After by Amy Efaw, and the book Stolen by Lucy Christopher really made me think about..."

It was definitely creepy. :P

Kendall [Kenny] (poeticshark) | 10786 comments Punk Rock Princess (Lavendarlol) wrote: "After by Amy Efaw was amazing."

'twas indeed. I have her as my friend on here. :D I think she's the only one who read my review on the book.

message 20: by Alicia (Lav) (new)

You do? That's so cool!

message 21: by Kriss (new)

Kriss (Krisslee) | 4751 comments Oh, and Rudyard Kipling stuff is pretty thought provoking. And Edgar Allen Poe.

message 22: by Mandy (new)

Mandy  | 10724 comments Poe! Heehee. I just love that name.

message 23: by Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!*, No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. (new)

Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* | 11399 comments Mod
~ ♪She-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named [Yue]~ wrote: "The Book Thief!"

Yes!

That and the Chaos Walking books. The books that changed my life. <3 There are others but those are, like, the top ones. XD

message 24: by TOLI (new)

TOLI | 75 comments Hmmmm the one that comes to mind first is 'Poison' I really do nto know why but that book is amazing, I really really love it.

Kendall [Kenny] (poeticshark) | 10786 comments Punk Rock Princess (Lavendarlol) wrote: "You do? That's so cool!"

Yep. :)

message 26: by Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!*, No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. (new)

TOLI wrote: "Hmmmm the one that comes to mind first is 'Poison' I really do nto know why but that book is amazing, I really really love it."

Byyy … umm … that guy who wrote Storm Thief?

message 27: by TOLI (new)

TOLI | 75 comments Yeah! Couldn't think of the author off the top of my head I had to google it it's Chris Wooding

message 28: by Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!*, No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. (new)

Chris Wooding! That's the one. Yeah, I really liked Storm Thief. I should read his other books.

message 29: by TOLI (new)

TOLI | 75 comments Yeah Storm thief was a good one, of course Poison, and another one is The Haunting of Alaizabel Cray (I think that's it spelling may be off)

But they're all written by him

message 30: by Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!*, No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. (new)

Yeahh, I've heard of all of those. I'll check them out. ;)

message 31: by Hayden (new)

Hayden (normanbaes) | 7709 comments Well, if you want obsessed sense, the Star Wars books. For not being orginal character they sure are kick-(butt). :P

message 32: by Hyperion (new)

Hyperion | 14 comments I have to say that Eragon really brought the light to my eyes and when i finished I knew that I wanted to become a writer.

Shreya=Drastically Random. Find the emoticon. | 1078 comments The Sky is Falling, Looking at the Moon, and the Lights go On Again. They gave me good ideas for my story. :)

Tesssss cool story broo | 527 comments The Hunger Games changed my life, and Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy... and Uglies!!

message 35: by Laura (last edited Feb 04, 2011 06:59PM) (new)

Laura  | 911 comments The Hunger Games changed my life because I spent an hour last night listening to a podcast about them and coloring a picture of two of the supporting characters. (Maybe a bit too much fandom?)

Feed also changed my life--I got so upset at the ending that I went for an hour long bike ride to meditate on it.

message 36: by Alicia (Lav) (new)

I love The Hunger Games. Soooo much.

message 37: by Laura (new)

Laura  | 911 comments :) They're exceptional.

Maria [the clockwork creeps on useless lives] (MariaChhile) | 8772 comments Mod
I'm a horrible person. I loved The Hunger Games but then I hated Catching Fire.

message 39: by Gabry (new)

Gabry (Goobie) ♫Maria Fompledump (aka Chile)♫ wrote: "I'm a horrible person. I loved The Hunger Games but then I hated Catching Fire."

It is okay. *patpat*

message 40: by Mandy (new)

Mandy  | 10724 comments ♫Maria Fompledump (aka Chile)♫ wrote: "I'm a horrible person. I loved The Hunger Games but then I hated Catching Fire."

I hated that last one. Okay, not hate. But it was only okay.

Yue [Wonder of living] (swimgeek101) | 4458 comments Mandy Fompledump wrote: "♫Maria Fompledump (aka Chile)♫ wrote: "I'm a horrible person. I loved The Hunger Games but then I hated Catching Fire."

I hated that last one. Okay, not hate. But it was only okay."

ME TOO.

message 42: by Mandy (new)

Mandy  | 10724 comments *nodsnodsnods*

message 43: by Laura (new)

Laura  | 911 comments It was way too....rushed.

message 44: by Mandy (new)

Mandy  | 10724 comments Yup.

message 45: by Alicia (Lav) (last edited Feb 04, 2011 08:04PM) (new)

I loved it, but I hated how (view spoiler)!

message 46: by Mandy (new)

Mandy  | 10724 comments i miss who i was when (Lavendarlol) wrote: "I loved it, but I hated how [spoilers removed]!"

I KNOW!!

And how did you do that HTML?

message 47: by Laura (new)

Laura  | 911 comments Mandy Fompledump wrote: "i miss who i was when (Lavendarlol) wrote: "I loved it, but I hated how [spoilers removed]!"

I KNOW!!

And how did you do that HTML?"

Same question. :o

message 48: by Alicia (Lav) (new)

IT WAS HORRIBLE! GAAAAH. (view spoiler)

You just do < and then type spoiler and then do > again.

Maria [the clockwork creeps on useless lives] (MariaChhile) | 8772 comments Mod
There's a spoiler HTML thing.

(view spoiler)

message 50: by Alicia (Lav) (new)

Isn't it cooool?

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Forbidden (other topics)
Warriors Don't Cry: The Searing Memoir of the Battle to Integrate Little Rock's Central High (other topics)
The Perks of Being a Wallflower (other topics)
The Moorchild (other topics)
Blood Red Road (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Melba Patillo Beals (other topics)
John Green (other topics)
Ellen Hopkins (other topics)