Between the Lines discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive > What books are you reading?

Comments (showing 201-250 of 1,809) (1809 new)    post a comment »

Tricia | 7 comments Rhonda: The end of this book was just like you describe. I don't have a sense of closure about it. The day ends, so the book ends. I think Joyce likes to do that. I've read "Araby" from "The Dubliners" and it's similar in its ending as well.

Fiona (bookcoop) I don't think I got past the 5th page of Ulysses. Didn't it just cover a day in the life of someone? And it was so thick - what on earth did it contain to make it so apparently good?

message 203: by Tricia (last edited Jan 26, 2009 12:39PM) (new)

Tricia | 7 comments Yeah that's what I said Fiona! It is just about a guy's day. He eats breakfast, goes to a funeral, goes to work, hangs out at a library and a few other places. I think people think it's so good because he uses so many different literary styles. There's a different one for every chapter. Plus the story is supposed to parallel The Odyssey by Homer. All I got out of it was a headache and a pretty good story that could have been told in an easier format.

Peribo Jared Diamond's Guns, Germs and Steel. I don't like the style but everyone tells me that it is a 'necessary book' and I got it as a Christmas gift, so I'm having a go.

Christina Just finished Anna Karenina. It was amazing!
Still reading a collected version of all H.P. Lovecraft's fiction and Barack Obama's The Audacity of Hope.
Not sure which work of fiction I will pick up next...

message 206: by [deleted user] (new)

Moby Dick & Nanny Diaries!

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (Titch) Started The Tales of Beedle the Bard - J.K. Rowling (ML) and I am still reading Skin Privilege - Karin Slaughter, Dissolution - C.J. Sansom.

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (Titch) Finished Tales of Beedle the Bard - J.K. Rowling. Now reading I Am The Messenger - Markus Zusak.

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (Titch) Just sat this afternoon and read A Dog called Christmas - Greg Kincaid. A brilliant book, very interesting as well.

alicia (shesha34) Going to finish up Brother Odd.Probably start The Other Mother by Gwendolen Gross.

Fiona (bookcoop) I finished my non-fic One Day in September and it was very good.

Now I think I shall start Thinking Sociologically by Zygmunt Bauman and Tim May. I've already read bits and pieces but I'd like to read it all again without the stres of looming deadlines.

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (Titch) Read Four More Degrees - Malcolm Rose. Now reading Animal Lab - Malcolm Rose.

message 213: by [deleted user] (new)

Fiona tell me how you liked I am the Messanger, I bought it at the end of last year & need to read it.

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (Titch) I will let you know Emillee. I will read some more in bed 2nite.

Jackie | 3 comments I just finished the twilight series. I started a Danielle Steele "Rogue" yesterday, I found that I think I haven't read yet. then I have Nora Roberts 2nd & 3rd in a trilogy about pagan stones.

Wendy T I finished Blindness by Jose Saramago today. Didn't like this book at all. The story kept going on and on. I didn't care for the his style of writing also.
I'm now going to start Fast Track by Fern Michaels and I'm two books behind in the Sisterhood Series.

Beth A. (BethALM) I'm reading Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones, and Inkdeath by Cornelia Funke. I am really enjoying them both.

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (Titch) Went to bed early last nite and read the following: Falling Awake - Viv French, Walking with Rainbows - Isla Dewar, Harpies - David Belbin & The Cold Heart of Summer - Alan Gibbons.

message 219: by [deleted user] (new)

Did you read both of them completely? i really need to do that!

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (Titch) I am currently reading Christmas, Present - Jacquelyn Mitchard

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (Titch) Just about to finish Christmas, Present - Jacquelyn Mitchard. Will then read I am the Messenger - Markus Zusak.

Catamorandi (wwwgoodreadscomprofilerandi) I just finished WATER FOR ELEPHANTS by Sara Gruen. It was a great book! I am now starting on THE ROAD by Cormac McCarthy.

Christina Currently working my way through Edward Rutherford The Forest. An okay read but not amazing. About 600 pages yet to go...!
Also still reading Barack Obama and HP Lovecraft...

alicia (shesha34) Finally finshed Brother Odd didn't really care for it.Hopefully The Other mOTHER WILL BE BETTER.

Ashley (readerandwriter) I am currently reading "Specials" by Scott Westerfeld. It is the third book in the Uglies series.

Beth A. (BethALM) Ashley, I'm also reading Specials.

Ashley (readerandwriter) how far are you in the book?

Wendy T Yesterday I finsihed Fast Track by Fern Michaels and started her next book Collateral Damage which is the 4th book in her Sisterhood series.

message 229: by Beth (new)

Beth Knight (zazaknittycat) Right now I'm reading The Trouble with Boys by Peg Tyre. It's very good.

Beth A. (BethALM) Ashley,

I just finished Specials, I didn't enjoy it quite as much as I did Uglies and Pretties.

What do you think?

Catamorandi (wwwgoodreadscomprofilerandi) I am now reading THE ROAD by Cormac McCarthy. It is very interestingly written, but a little weird on the side.

Ashley (readerandwriter) I am only page 91 but it's getting interesting.

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (Titch) Still reading I AM THE MESSENGER.

alicia (shesha34) Started Nursery Crimes.The Other Mother was an okay read.After awhile the woomen got kind of too whiny and i kind of skimmed to the end.I can tell I'll like Nursery Crimes though I really enjoy reading something quick and light after reading books that don't really do it for me like the last two.

Fiona (bookcoop) Conrad's Fate by Diana Wynne Jones, my favourite children's author of all time.

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (Titch) Just finished I Am The Messenger - Markus Zusak. Will now read The Mentalist - Rod Duncan.

Wendy T I'm just going to start Final Justice (book#5) in the sisterhood series, by Fern Michaels.

alicia (shesha34) I really am enjpying Nursery Crime and can tell the series will be a favorite.I got all the books in the series at the library for book challenge on another site.

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (Titch) Finished The Mentalist - Rod Duncan. I also read Sleepover Club Makeover - Jana Hunter. I am now gonna read Sleepover Girls Go Green - Angie Bates.

alicia (shesha34) Finishing up Nursery Crimes then on to The Big Nap the 2nd in the series.

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (Titch) Just finished Sleepover Girls Go Green - Angie Bates. Will carry on reading Skin Privilege - Karin Slaughter.

message 242: by [deleted user] (new)

Done with Moby Dick!

Fiona (bookcoop) Horrah, what now Emilee?

alicia (shesha34) I am now reading The Big Nap the 2nd in the mommy track series.The first one was good and fun let's hope the series continues to entertain.

Christina Currently reading Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides - really liking it so far!

Richard, how do you like Proust so far? I have a dream of reading him this year...

Alice (ahenry262) | 1 comments I'm reading Rhett Butler's People and loving it.

Christina Wow Richard, it sounds like it's maybe even harder to read him than I thought... it's been a dream of mine for about 12 years I think, to read him ... but those Frenchmen are sometimes really hard to grasp. Maybe I should browse around for some kind of introduction to him - maybe that will help understand what's going on. It sounds like it's just as hard as reading Joyce...

Christina Richard, I'm not going to abandon my dream - not before I've given it my all at least once. I'm very impressed with French philosophers, thinkers and writers - but I must admit to finding some of the hard to understand or to grasp the entirety of their thoughts. Baudrillard, for instance, springs to mind.
I plan on reading both Joyce and Proust - but not right after each other... Thanks for pointing out some of the differences between them.

Fiona (bookcoop) I'm reading The Loop by Nicholas Evans, under duress I'd like to add.

message 250: by alicia (last edited Feb 11, 2009 09:16AM) (new)

alicia (shesha34) Wow read the 2nd book The Big Nap in 1 day.Such fast quick reads.Stared A Playdate With Death Last night before going to bed and i think i'll finish it tonight.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.