Between the Lines discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive > What books are you reading?

Comments (showing 151-200 of 1,809) (1809 new)    post a comment »

Rhonda (RhondaK) Gina wrote: "I am reading The Turn of the Screw."
I would be interested in knowing how you like the book.. assuming that you aren't reading it for some academic requirement. i find the book hauntingly fascinating as I do all of James...perverse, but fascinating.

alicia (shesha34) I am reading Forever Odd by Dean Koontz.

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 139 comments I am reading The Loop by Nicholas Evans. I've also read The Horse Whisperer and The Divide by him, thoroughly enjoying both of those.

Vicky | 62 comments Iread The Loop and the Horse Whisperer. I didn't like the ending of the Horse Whisperer. Of the two, I liked The Loop better.

Petra X  (PetraX) I'm reading a really fantastic book (after giving up one crap one and considering giving up another). Its Better by Atul Gwande. His essay on handwashing as the major disease-preventative in hospitals doesn't sound like it would be fascinating, but it absolutely was.

Donna (DFiggz) Petra, Is that Whoopi? I love it! You should show ur work to Matell and get in business!

message 157: by Kathy (last edited Jan 13, 2009 03:21PM) (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 139 comments Yeah, Vicky, the end of The Horse Whisperer novel was a real downer, but overall I still loved it and definitely prefer it to the movie version.

Beth A. (BethALM) I'm almost finished with Brisingr. I just need an uninterrupted hour.

Petra X  (PetraX) Donna - I don't make the Barbies, I find them on the net!

message 160: by Donna (last edited Jan 14, 2009 06:23AM) (new)

Donna (DFiggz) OH!!! I saw that you do some sort of graphic designs and..? But I still look forward to seeing what you get everyday!

I am now reading Me Talk Pretty One Day and I jsut finished A Child Called "It" by Dave Peltzer and it was very disturbing! I went home and hugged my little girl!

message 161: by Beth (new)

Beth Knight (zazaknittycat) I'm reading The Gargoyle, Prodigal Summer and I just started reading Testimony. I got Testimony at the library last night and it's a Most Wanted, which means I can only keep it for a week. I may have to set the other books aside so I can finish Testimony on time. I am loving both Prodigal Summer and The Gargoyle so it isn't going to be easy to put them down for a few days!

Sarah (UltimateBibliophile) | 36 comments i am currrently reading Brisingr by Christopher Paolini

message 163: by Beth A. (last edited Jan 14, 2009 11:06AM) (new)

Beth A. (BethALM) I started Uglies last night. At first it was whiny and I thought I might not like it, but I quickly got into the story.

Christina Reading The Social Lives of Dogs, so far a nice story about various dogs the author has had.

message 165: by Lisa Julianna (last edited Feb 25, 2009 02:44AM) (new)

Lisa Julianna (LisaJulianna) I'll be starting New Moon today. My oldest daughter said I have to read it fast because it's kind of sad or on the depressing side.

I guess I'll see...hehe!!

Prettymisslara | 52 comments Donna - I used to work in the social service industry and my employer had all of us read "A Child called IT" it was very difficult to read. I think I cried from cover to cover in that book. It opened my eyes to several things but I doubt I could ever read that one again.

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 139 comments Christina Stind wrote: "Reading The Social Lives of Dogs, so far a nice story about various dogs ..."

Christina, I have had The Social Lives of Dogs on my shelf for ages. I keep meaning to read it. How do you like it?

message 168: by Lea (new)

Lea | 1 comments Pride and Prejudice and Stardust!!~

Beth A. (BethALM) I just finished Uglies and I'm moving on to Pretties. I've enjoyed the story so far.

I'm also listening to The Good Earth on audio-book. It's a reread, it's one of my favorites.

Fiona (bookcoop) [image error] by Andrew Taylor

Finished Watership Down! :D

Petra X  (PetraX) Kathy wrote: "Christina Stind wrote: "Reading The Social Lives of Dogs, so far a nice s..."

Elizabeth Marshall Thomas is one of my favourite authors. She's also my favourite animal behaviourist. I liked her two books on dogs very much but I think her very best is Tribe of Tiger (about cats, very insightful, completely different from all the crap documentaries on lions we take for truth). Last year I read her 'the Old People' about the last surviving Stone Age tribe that she lived with on and off in Africa.

Petra X  (PetraX) I've just finished Atul Gawande's "Better, A Surgeon's Notes on Performance" which was, on a 5 star scale, at least 6 stars.

Within These Walls, about being a death-row chaplain, by Caroll Pickett, is my new book and its started out pretty fascinating.

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 139 comments Petra, thanks for the information on Elizabeth Marshall Thomas. I've added The Tribe of Tiger to my to-read list. I will also get around to The Social Lives of Dogs, as well as The Hidden Life of Dogs. After reading your posting, I checked out books by Thomas, and I was amazed at all she has written. I want to further explore those titles.

Petra X  (PetraX) Kathy, exploring a bit about EMT's life is amazing too. She keeps cats and dogs and has lived with lions and stone age people too!

Just finished Within These Walls - wonderful, a perspective on named killers, with their crimes detailed but from the point of view of one ministering to them rather than judging them.

My next book is Kabul Beauty School.

Helen | 3 comments Petra X wrote: "Kathy, exploring a bit about EMT's life is amazing too. She keeps cats and dogs and has lived with lions and stone age people too!

Just finished Within These Walls - wonderful, a perspective on..."

I am reading The Brass Verdict by Michael Connelly. I am really enjoying it. The first page is really cool...
"Everybody lies.
Cops lie. Lawyers lie. Witnesses lie. The victims lie.
A trial is a contest of lies. And everybody in the courtroom knows this.The judge knows this. Even the jury knows this. They come into the building knowing they will be lied to . They take their seats in the box and agree to be lied to.
The trick if you are sitting at the defense table is to be patient. To wait. Not for just any lie. But for the one you can grab onto and forge like hot iron into a sharpened blade. You then use that blade to rip the case open ad spill its guts out onto the floor.
That's my job, to forge the blade. To sharpen it. To use it without mercy or conscience. To be the truth in a place where everybody lies."
Wow! How's that for a quote.

Christina Kathy wrote: "Christina, I have had The Social Lives of Dogs on my shelf for ages. I keep meaning to read it. How do you like it?"

Kathy, I really liked it. It's a nice, easy and enjoyable read and I liked her views on dogs. It made me even more okay with my dog not always obeying me ;-) Also, the book is very well written and her stories about her dogs and other animals are very interesting.
So if you like reading about dogs, it's definitely a nice read.

message 177: by Epee (new)

Epee (Epers) I'm reading a biography about Gaudi by Gijs van Hensbergen and the Andromeda Strain by Michael Crichton.

Christina I've just started 'Anna Karenina' by Tolstoy - I haven't read it so I'm very excited about finally reading it!

Fiona (bookcoop) I got that on my tbr shelf Christina and looking forward to when I'm in the mood for a Russian. I might not start Tolstoy with that one though.. have you read Resurrection?

Sarah (UltimateBibliophile) | 36 comments im reading Coraline by Neil Gaiman

Christina Fiona, no, I haven't read Resurrection. This is my first Tolstoy and I had to choose between Anna Karenina or War and Peace and chose this one because I have a vague memory of seeing the movie once (so I know how it ends - at least I do if the movie was true to the book...). Even though I remember the movie as good, I don't remember anything but the ending, but Anna Karenina was less daunting to me than War and Peace. The only other Russian I've read is Solszhenitzyn One day in the life of Ivan Denisovich which I really liked so I'm looking forward to this one. Resurrection sounds really good though - any other you can recommend?

message 182: by Fiona (last edited Jan 18, 2009 01:28PM) (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) I've only read one Russian and that's Crime and Punishment. (I'd recommend it). I loved it and it won't be my last of Dostoyevsky. I want to read Tolstoy as well - War and Peace's lenghth puts me off! It seems to be well written, but heavy.

Sarah (UltimateBibliophile) | 36 comments im reading Coraline by Neil Gaiman

Catamorandi (wwwgoodreadscomprofilerandi) I'm starting Epicenter: Why the Current Rumblings in the Middle East Will Change Your Future. I know a couple of people who have read it, and they both think it is incredible.

Christina The next Russian I'm going to tackle will be War and Peace, I think - at least that's the only one I have on my shelf currently. But I'm looking forward to Dostoyevsky as well!

alicia (shesha34) I am on to Brother Odd How is Coraline?

message 187: by liz (new)

liz (lizevans) I've just started reading Wuthering Heights. I'm not sure I like it. The characters to me are all horrid.

Beth A. (BethALM) I just finished A Girl from Yamhill by Beverly Cleary. I really enjoyed it, I love her books, so it was fun to learn more about her life. I think I'll read True Grit by Charles Portis next. It's the January book for another book club I'm in.

Beth A. (BethALM) I changed my mind. I'm starting Before the Dawn by Dean Hughes.

Lisa Julianna (LisaJulianna) I'm starting Eclipse today.

message 193: by liz (new)

liz (lizevans) I finished Wuthering Heights today. I didn't like it too much. I don't think that's a book I'll ever read again.

I'm going back to reading the Wheel of Time - The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan.

Caren Nelson Emilee wrote: "Just so we can all share what books we are reading now thought I would start this off.

Currently I am reading way too many books but I am reading:

1)Great Expectations by Charles Dickens
2)..."

I am new to this group and this site and I am so excited! I am reading Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruin Zafon and The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski.
I can't wait to get some more ideas from everyone here.

Tricia | 7 comments I just finished reading Ulysses by James Joyce. It's a good thing I was reading it for a class or I would not have been able to get through it.

Now I'm reading Between the Bridge and the River by Craig Ferguson. It's very surprisingly good so far.

Rhonda (RhondaK) Tricia wrote: "I just finished reading Ulysses by James Joyce. It's a good thing I was reading it for a class or I would not have been able to get through it.
I often wonder whether anyone woud read Ulysses aside from a class in literature. However as difficult a read as that is, I remember reading Finnegan's Wake and that was a nightmare. I decided to read it because a friend of mine was reading it for a class and I even came to her seminar to figure out what was going on. I don't recall if we ever finished it, but it didn't leave me with a sense of closure, but maybe that was the intention of the book.

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 139 comments I started Too Close to Home by Linwood Barclay last night, a thriller that grabbed my attention right away.

Too Close to Home by Linwood Barclay

message 198: by Stef (new)

Stef (buch_ratte) | 499 comments Last night I started with EXCAVATION by James Rollins. It is the first time that I read his books. Will let you know how his books are.

Reggia | 15 comments I recently started reading This Must Be the Place.

Fiona (bookcoop) Shadow of the Wall - Christa Laird

I read it's sequel about 14 or so years ago and I've been wanting to read this for ages. I only got hold of it last year sometime.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.