YA Apocalyptic and Dystopian Fiction discussion

General > Introduce Yourself!

Comments (showing 201-250 of 1,054) (1054 new)    post a comment »

message 201: by Francie (new)

Francie (Love_Francie) My list is growing, lol

message 202: by Bethany (new)

Bethany | 1221 comments Hey Francie! Welcome to the group. You will definitely find lots of great Dystopian suggestions here in this group.

message 203: by Katherine (new)

Katherine Draper | 76 comments Welcome newbies! I'm a newbie too, but I really do like adding all these great books to my "to read" shelf. :D Excited to start May's book on the 3rd.

message 204: by Mei (new)

Mei | 6 comments Hi, I'm Mei. I love dystopian and currently reading it more and more. Probably cause there seemed to be so much more choices now, especially after Hunger Games, which I absolutely loved.

My current favourite reads are Wither, Matched and Red Gloves. Now I'm looking to expand my to-read list eventhough its already way too long. So any great recommendation?

message 205: by Adela (new)

Adela Clancy FEED by Mira Grant is a great read if you haven't yet xD

message 206: by Bethany (new)

Bethany | 1221 comments Hi Mei, welcome to the group! You should try Across the Universe (Across the Universe, #1) by Beth Revis or Birthmarked (Birthmarked, #1) by Caragh M. O'Brien. I haven't read Birthmarked, but I've heard really good things about it. Across the Universe was amazing. Also, you should join in with our group read this month. We are reading Divergent (Divergent, #1) by Veronica Roth.

message 207: by [deleted user] (new)

Welcome Mei! I agree with the recommendations so far! And yes, Divergent comes out today, so you can join us on that one if you like! :)

message 208: by Katherine (new)

Katherine Draper | 76 comments Welcome, Mei! Spend enough time browsing through this group, and you'll have a TO READ list a mile long. :) Happy reading!

message 209: by Candice (new)

Candice (thecrj) | 51 comments Just finished Birthmarked (Birthmarked, #1) by Caragh M. O'Brien. It was kind of slow, but then about 100pgs into it I couldn't put it down. I highly recommend it.

message 210: by Mei (new)

Mei | 6 comments Thanks everyone! I've added them all to my to-read list.

I've recently just got Across The Universe and I'm gonna read it soon. Birthmarked, Feed and Divergent sounds interesting. Can't wait to read them all. Now, if only I can get my hands on them...

message 211: by Bethany (new)

Bethany | 1221 comments Welcome Jennifer! Good to have you. If you are looking for something to read at the moment, you should join our monthly read. This month is Divergent and it's pretty darn good. Hope you enjoy the group.

message 212: by [deleted user] (new)

Welcome Jennifer! I think you'll find that a lot of us here are lovers of The Mortal Instruments haha :) Divergent is great, and I hope you like it!

message 213: by Shari (new)

Shari (ShariK) | 18 comments hi! I'm new... my friend Amanda had me join this group but I've yet to post. I'm Shari, from Canada (a small town near Ottawa).

message 214: by Bethany (new)

Bethany | 1221 comments Hey Shari! Welcome to the group. We love new members!

message 215: by [deleted user] (new)

Welcome to the group Shari! :)

message 216: by Katherine (new)

Katherine Draper | 76 comments Welcome guys!!!

message 217: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (Amonika) Welcome Shari - glad to see you posting!

message 218: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 1 comments Hey everyone, I'm Wendy and I am pretty new to the genre, but am completely hooked. Next on my list to read is Uglies and The Forest of Hands and Teeth.

message 219: by Katherine (new)

Katherine Draper | 76 comments Hi Wendy! Welcome!!! I LOVED the Uglies AND The Forest of Hands and Teeth. You won't be disappointed with those. :)

message 220: by Bethany (new)

Bethany | 1221 comments Welcome Wendy! Glad to have another dystopian lover. Yes, those two series are very popular in our group. I wasn't crazy about either series, but I only read the first book in the forest of hands and teeth series, i've heard book 2 & 3 are better. I hope you enjoy them. Some of my faves of the genre are...
The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) by Suzanne Collins Divergent (Divergent, #1) by Veronica Roth Dark Life (Dark Life, #1) by Kat Falls Unwind (Unwind, #1) by Neal Shusterman Across the Universe (Across the Universe, #1) by Beth Revis

message 221: by [deleted user] (new)

Welcome Wendy! Glad you're part of the group! :)

message 222: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 1 comments Hi, I'm Cathy. I'm Bethany's mom. This is actually Bethany typing right now. Cathy's not even in the room. hehe. But she loves dystopian because I force her to read them. She just finished the Hunger Games tril and loved it. Now shes gonna go read The forest of Hands and Teeth. And I made her get a good read account so that she could be up to date in the book world...that way she won't do silly things like buying The Dark and Hollow Places, without realizing there are two other books she must read first.

message 223: by Bethany (new)

Bethany | 1221 comments Ohhhh, Hi Cathy. So great to have you in the group. Mwahahahahahaa!

message 224: by [deleted user] (new)

Bethany, you crack me up! :) Welcome to the group Cathy, hopefully you'll be doing some of your own posting from now on hehe.

message 225: by Kira (new)

Kira (pfeenix) | 3 comments 'ello. I'm Kira. I'm from New Jersey. I read lots of different types of books, but I've always had a bit of a soft spot for apocalyptic/dystopian stories in any medium. I just finished Feed (Newsflesh, #1) by Mira Grant (awesome freaking book) which is how I found this group, when updating from "currently-reading" to "read", and i'm always looking for new suggestions.

message 226: by Bethany (new)

Bethany | 1221 comments Hi kira. Welcome to the group. I'm glad you liked feed. I started that one, but didn't get very far. Wasn't my cup of tea. But, we have great peolpe in the group and lots of great recommendations. I know there is a sequel to feed, deadline. You should also check out Divergent. One of the best dystopian novels that i've read this year.

message 227: by [deleted user] (new)

Welcome Kira! Yep definitely take a look through all the threads! There's lots of good recommendations! :)

message 228: by Jen (new)

Jen (dolphinblue) | 1 comments Hi everyone! I absolutely love dystopian/post apocalyptic fiction and very excited I found this group because I am always looking for MORE! I just finished Divergent and looking forward to discussions and additional recommendations!

message 229: by [deleted user] (new)

Welcome Jen! Glad you found us! We've got lots of fun discussions and recommendations everywhere! So you've come to the right place! :)

message 230: by Bethany (new)

Bethany | 1221 comments Welcome Jen!!

message 231: by Lora (new)

Lora Ferrer (wuzzie) Hi everyone! I'm just new to this whole "goodreads" thingie and found your group because it was linked to Divergent which I recently just devoured. I'm currently reading OSC's The Lost Gate and The Windup Girl in hopes to fulfill my goal of reading all the winners and nominees of the hugo awards. ÜÜ

message 232: by [deleted user] (new)

Welcome Lora! Glad you liked Divergent! There's lots of recommendations in other threads if you want to check them out! :)

message 233: by Steph (new)

Steph (somethingplace) | 18 comments Hi everyone. I've been looking over and posting in the group over the last few days. I'm Stephanie and I'm 24 and from Florida. I fell in love with dystopia recently and tend to devour any book that fits the description. Looking forward to discussing things with everyone.

message 234: by [deleted user] (new)

Hey Stephanie! Welcome! Glad you're part of our group! :)

message 235: by Bethany (new)

Bethany | 1221 comments Hi Lora & Stephanie! Welcome to the group!

message 236: by Staciel (new)

Staciel | 3 comments Hi! I'm Stacie from Minnesota and I am a stay-at-home, homeschooling mom who has found that dystopian books are my favorite type of 'getaway' whenever I have 15 minutes..love many of the books listed here already, and can't wait to read some that I haven't heard of!

message 237: by [deleted user] (new)

Welcome Stacie! You'll find lots of recommendations around here! Glad you've joined us! :)

message 238: by Kelsy (new)

Kelsy (kelsythompson) Hello all. :) I'm Kelsy. I live in Utah where I am currently attending university, double majoring in creative writing and technical writing. I am an avid reader, and especially love dystopian fiction. I am actually currently writing a YA dystopian novel and have several unread dystopian books waiting on my shelf (Wither, Divergent, Bumped). I'm very glad to be a part of this group and look forward to all the wonderful literature.

message 239: by [deleted user] (new)

Welcome Kelsy! It's awesome to have you as part of the group! You should definitely read Divergent and Wither like ASAP! I loved those ones but I still need to read Bumped too :)

message 240: by Bethany (new)

Bethany | 1221 comments Hi Kelsy! I second Amy's comment. I loved Wither and Divergent, both were awesome! I've yet to read Bumped...so jury's still out. But, welcome to the group!! We're glad to have you :D

message 241: by Erica (new)

Erica Fosmoe (ericaejw968) | 5 comments Hi, everyone. My name is Erica, and I'm a teacher in TN. I have stumbled upon my love for dystopian fiction through The Giver and the amazing Hunger Games. I am always lookin for something else to read and am excited about the books that I will be introduced to here.

message 242: by Bethany (new)

Bethany | 1221 comments Welcome Erica! Always happy to have another dystopian lover. Here's just a few suggestions to get you started...
Wither (Chemical Garden, #1) by Lauren DeStefano Uglies (Uglies, #1) by Scott Westerfeld Divergent (Divergent, #1) by Veronica Roth Matched (Matched, #1) by Ally Condie

message 243: by Erica (new)

Erica Fosmoe (ericaejw968) | 5 comments Thank u for the suggestions and welcome message. I am getting closer to reading uglies everyday and have started wither. So far, I like it.

message 244: by Abi (new)

Abi (abigail-but-you-can-call-me-abi) | 5 comments hey guys
I'm Abi . I love dystopian books. I love divergent, cassandra clare's books, left hand of god, gone series, hunger games basically sci-fi, fantasy, everything !! I'm 17 and I'm always looking for new books and hopefully i'll find some here! thanks guys :)

message 245: by Bethany (last edited Jun 12, 2011 10:20PM) (new)

Bethany | 1221 comments Heya, Abi! It's sounds like you're gonna fit in juuust fine in this group! Welcome, glad to have you!!

P.S. have you read Across the Universe (Across the Universe, #1) by Beth Revis? That's my rec for you. If you have read it, then sweeeet! Cuz it's awesome!

message 246: by Abi (new)

Abi (abigail-but-you-can-call-me-abi) | 5 comments Bethany wrote: "Heya, Abi! It's sounds like you're gonna fit in juuust fine in this group! Welcome, glad to have you!!

P.S. have you read Across the Universe (Across the Universe, #1) by Beth Revis? That's my rec for you. If you hav..."

no I haven't! Yay!

message 247: by Bethany (new)

Bethany | 1221 comments Well, get on it girl! You'll love it :D

message 248: by [deleted user] (new)

Welcome Erica and Abi! I agree with all Bethany's recommendations! So glad to have you guys as part of the group! And Abi, Across the Universe is amazing!

message 249: by Nakia (last edited Jun 21, 2011 08:52AM) (new)

Nakia (nakiaandkaleb) | 1 comments Hi there! My name is Nakia. The book that got me hooked on the dystopian genre is Uglies. Since then, I've read the Hunger Games series and Matched. Now I'm reading Dead Tossed Waves, the second book in the Forest of Hands and Teeth series.

message 250: by Bethany (new)

Bethany | 1221 comments Well, go on girl! Those r all pretty popular series in this group. This group is great for getting good recomendations. Hope you enjoy it and WELCOME!!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Dead-Tossed Waves (other topics)
Birthmarked (other topics)
Across the Universe (other topics)
The Maze Runner (other topics)
The Windup Girl (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Seanan McGuire (other topics)
David P. Forsyth (other topics)
S.G. Mark (other topics)