YA Apocalyptic and Dystopian Fiction discussion

General > Introduce Yourself!

Comments (showing 501-550 of 1,053) (1053 new)    post a comment »

message 501: by David (new)

David Estes (davidestesbooks) | 437 comments Welcome Cassie, I know it's great we have a group just for these types of books!

message 502: by Julie (new)

Julie | 379 comments Hi Cassie! We are glad you decided to join us! If you need any book suggestions let us know, I'm sure you'll get tons of great ideas.

message 503: by Cassie (new)

Cassie (Cassie_rose) Thanks I'd love that! :)

message 504: by Julie (new)

Julie | 379 comments Cassie wrote: "Thanks I'd love that! :)"

I always recommend The Giver (The Giver, #1) by Lois Lowry if you haven't read it, it's a classic. Legend (Legend, #1) by Marie Lu Ship Breaker (Ship Breaker, #1) by Paolo Bacigalupi Rot & Ruin (Benny Imura, #1) by Jonathan Maberry (if you like zombies), Eve (Eve, #1) by Anna Carey Hollowland (The Hollows, #1) by Amanda Hocking (more zombies), Birthmarked (Birthmarked, #1) by Caragh M. O'Brien Delirium (Delirium, #1) by Lauren Oliver

message 505: by Bethany (new)

Bethany | 1221 comments More zombies... Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion Enclave (Razorland, #1) by Ann Aguirre :)
I recommend Divergent (Divergent, #1) by Veronica Roth Shatter Me (Shatter Me, #1) by Tahereh Mafi Unwind (Unwind, #1) by Neal Shusterman

There's my recs for now. Welcome to the group, Cassie! We're happy to have you :)

message 506: by Cassie (new)

Cassie (Cassie_rose) Thanks everyone! :) I'll deffinitely look into thoughs

message 507: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (MelodieCO) I'll second Legend (Legend, #1) by Marie Lu, Delirium (Delirium, #1) by Lauren Oliver and the 2nd in that trilogy, Pandemonium (Delirium, #2) by Lauren Oliver, and Shatter Me (Shatter Me, #1) by Tahereh Mafi. And also add Ashfall (Ashfall, #1) by Mike Mullin!

message 508: by Cassie (new)

Cassie (Cassie_rose) Thanks Melodie! :) I appricate it! I'm probably gonna add all of thoughs to my to-read list :)

message 509: by Alexis (new)

Alexis | 1 comments Hey everyone :] I'm Alexis, I'm 17 and soon to be a Senior. I'm relatively new to this genre, but so far I'm loving it! I got sick of the typical YA romances, and dystopian books have done a good job of keeping me distracted and at the edge of my seat. I'm also new to this site, still getting the hang of it! I'm totally open to friends :] I'm looking forward to seeing what this group has to offer!

message 510: by David (new)

David Estes (davidestesbooks) | 437 comments Awesome, welcome Alexis, you've come to the right place..I did the same thing, started reading mostly YA paranormal romance and then made the leap to dystopian and love it!!

message 511: by Bethany (new)

Bethany | 1221 comments Welcome to the group, Alexis! :)

message 512: by Cassie (new)

Cassie (Cassie_rose) Welcome, Alexis! You'll love it it is a really kool group :)

message 513: by Tim (new)

Tim (djkilo) | 38 comments Welcome Alexis!! :) I'm sure you will feel welcomed here. <3

message 514: by Connie (new)

Connie  | 1 comments Hello All :) New to the group here...

My name is Connie and I am a 26 year old Nursing Student. I used to read a ton, but this past school year pretty much took up so much of my time that I didn't read anything non-school related. This summer I am making up for that fact! I often get embarrassed shopping or just being into YA books because I feel like I shouldn't like them as much at my age, but honestly I don't care. I love YA fiction of all kinds - from contemporary to paranormal. I think I love it so much because I would love to be a part time writer later on in life, and would love to focus on writing YA fiction. My favorite books in the YA genres are The Mortal Instruments, Harry Potter, Twilight, 13 Reasons Why, Just Listen, Hush Hush Series, Darkest Powers Trilogy, Blue Bloods, and now the Hunger Games. I finished the first book in the trilogy, and am now almost finished with the second. I would love to find some friends to add to my Goodreads, since I am new here. I ecspecially would like to find some people my age or older who are into YA fiction so I don't feel so alone! I am also building my summer reading list now, and so far I have the Matched Series, Article 5, and the Body Finder series on my list. Hopefully I can get a lot read this summer!

message 515: by Tim (new)

Tim (djkilo) | 38 comments Welcome Connie!
I'ma 27 year old Electro House DJ that is completely infatuated with YA and Dystopian genre books, and I'm pretty sure over half of the active members of this group are adults as well :P So welcome :)

~Tim

message 516: by David (new)

David Estes (davidestesbooks) | 437 comments Hi Connie, and Tim is exactly right lol. YA books are for everyone!!

message 517: by Bethany (last edited Apr 21, 2012 04:29PM) (new)

Bethany | 1221 comments Connie, I'm also 26 and all I read is YA fiction, so no worries! there are lots of adults in this group, even some over 50s :) Welcome to the group! As for your summer reading list, I'll give you a couple of my faves:

For the dystopian & PA:
Divergent by Veronica Roth Enclave (Razorland, #1) by Ann Aguirre Blood Red Road (Dust Lands, #1) by Moira Young Legend (Legend, #1) by Marie Lu Shatter Me (Shatter Me, #1) by Tahereh Mafi

For Paranormal:
Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy, #1) by Richelle Mead Shiver (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #1) by Maggie Stiefvater Unearthly (Unearthly, #1) by Cynthia Hand The Iron King (Iron Fey, #1) by Julie Kagawa Daughter of Smoke and Bone (Daughter of Smoke and Bone, #1) by Laini Taylor

Hope you like em :)

message 518: by Julie (new)

Julie | 379 comments Hey Connie, I'm 26 also and love YA! I really enjoyed The Body Finder series. Here are a few suggestions.

Stolen A Letter to My Captor by Lucy Christopher Ship Breaker (Ship Breaker, #1) by Paolo Bacigalupi Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver Dark Inside (Dark Inside, #1) by Jeyn Roberts Hold Me Closer, Necromancer by Lish McBride Rot & Ruin (Benny Imura, #1) by Jonathan Maberry Graceling (Graceling Realm, #1) by Kristin Cashore

message 519: by Jason (new)

Jason (IndyFan) Hello everyone! I'm 34 and fairly new to Goodreads. For many years my reading and writing have focused on non-fiction, but I have been bitten with the fiction bug! I am finding I love post apocalyptic, dystopian, sci fi, horror, and ANYTHING ZOMBIE - especially in the YA genre. :-) Of recent interest is well written, intelligent (i.e. non-trashy) YA romance, though I have yet to read many. I am interested in meeting more of you with similar interests, and looking forward to your recommendations!

message 520: by Bethany (last edited Apr 25, 2012 06:21PM) (new)

Bethany | 1221 comments Yay! Welcome Jason!! I love zombies :) here are some recs for you. Some have zombies, some have romance. One has a zombie romance :) and some of these are just dystopian and/or apocalyptic fun...

Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion Enclave (Razorland, #1) by Ann Aguirre Hollowland (The Hollows, #1) by Amanda Hocking Blood Red Road (Dust Lands, #1) by Moira Young
The Host (The Host, #1) by Stephenie Meyer is my sci-fi rec. I think it gets passed over because it's from the author of Twilight, but it's one of my favorites. It's a very original story and a very interesting love story.

Anyway, I hope you check these out and enjoy them as much as I did :)

Ps...definitely, DEFINITELY read Divergent by Veronica Roth so that you can join us for the monthly read in May when we'll be reading the sequel to Divergent!

message 521: by Patricius (new)

Patricius (patrickbicaldo) Hello Everyone!
I'm Patrick from the Philippines and I'm an addict when it comes to Young Adult books.

I definitely love Dystopian books especially the Hunger Games and Matched Trilogy. I have also some Dystopian books that are pending in my TBR pile like Delirium and Pandemonium.

You can know more about me on my review blog: Beyond Imagination where I post my reviews and other different stuffs. Feel free to explore my blog. :-)

Patrick,

message 522: by David (new)

David Estes (davidestesbooks) | 437 comments Hey Patrick, really good to have you on board and it sounds like you love a lot of the same books as the people in this group so you should enjoy it! Welcome :)

message 523: by Patricius (new)

Patricius (patrickbicaldo) David wrote: "Hey Patrick, really good to have you on board and it sounds like you love a lot of the same books as the people in this group so you should enjoy it! Welcome :)"

Thank you so much! I'm so much happy to be part of this awesome group. :-bd :-)

message 524: by Bethany (new)

Bethany | 1221 comments Welcome Patrick! Happy to have you in our group:)!!!

message 525: by Bethany (new)

Bethany | 1221 comments Patrick, if you liked Matched, you will probably like Delirium as well. They were kinda similar, although I liked Delirium better ;)

message 526: by Steven (new)

Steven Santos (stevendossantos) | 18 comments Hey, Patrick! Glad you could join us :-)

message 527: by Tony (new)

Tony | 15 comments Hi guys! I just joined the group recently too. Looking forward to discussing all things dystopian. ;)

message 528: by Julie (new)

Julie | 379 comments Hey Tony and Patrick!! We are glad to have you!

message 529: by David (new)

David Estes (davidestesbooks) | 437 comments Hola Tony!

message 530: by Patricius (new)

Patricius (patrickbicaldo) Bethany wrote: "Patrick, if you liked Matched, you will probably like Delirium as well. They were kinda similar, although I liked Delirium better ;)"

Well, that's awesome! :-bd I'm looking forward to the books on my TBR pile especially my dystopian TBRs. :)

message 531: by Patricius (new)

Patricius (patrickbicaldo) @Steven & Julie: Thank you so much! I'm so happy people here are so welcoming and kind. :) x

message 532: by Bethany (last edited Apr 28, 2012 09:57AM) (new)

Bethany | 1221 comments Hi Tony! Welcome to the group!!!

REMINDER!: for all the newbies :) if you want to participate in the reading and discussing of our May book, be reminded that it is a second book in a series. So if you have not yet read Divergent by Veronica Roth, I strongly suggest you do so. It's an amazingly good dystopian novel and a fairly quick read (mostly because you can't put it down). But I would just urge you all to read it before May so that you can participate in all the fun when we read Insurgent (Divergent, #2) by Veronica Roth

message 533: by David (new)

David Estes (davidestesbooks) | 437 comments Yes! You should all participate, Divergent is awesome and I know Insurgent will be too :)

message 534: by Kayla (new)

Kayla (krs209) | 2 comments Hi everyone! My name is Kayla & I am 22. I just joined the group, figured I would stop by and say hello!

I am a huge bookaholic, usually I read anything & everything. Oh & I have an addiction to this website & adding way too many books to my TBR pile !

message 535: by Julie (new)

Julie | 379 comments Hi Kayla! I also have an addiction to adding books to my TBR list, it's so much fun but I do get overwhelmed sometimes because I wonder if there's any way I'll get them all read when I just keeping adding more and more!

message 536: by David (new)

David Estes (davidestesbooks) | 437 comments Hiya Kayla :)

message 537: by Bethany (new)

Bethany | 1221 comments Welcome Kayla! I think many of us have that same addiction ;)

message 538: by Gracie (new)

Gracie (AmazingGracie5683) | 15 comments Hey, I'm Gracie...
join my group on goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/5...

message 539: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (chulton) | 4 comments Hello
I'm Rachel...I'm new to goodreads and I'm also pretty new to YA and Dystopian books. I've always pretty much played it safe and stuck to familiar authors but I am finding that YA books are so much more interesting! I hope you are all having a good day :)

message 540: by Bethany (new)

Bethany | 1221 comments Welcome Gracie and Rachel!

message 541: by Tim (new)

Tim (djkilo) | 38 comments Welcome Rachel and Gracie! Great to have you here :)

~Tim

message 542: by Julie (new)

Julie | 379 comments Hi Gracie and Rachel! We are glad you decided to join us!

message 543: by David (new)

David Estes (davidestesbooks) | 437 comments Welcome Gracie and Rachel, so glad you decided to join the group, it's an awesome one!!

message 544: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle Hi y'all!

The name is Gisbelle. I read all kind of books, fictions or non fictions. I am a bit new to dystopian, though. I have read a few books from this genre, such as Hunger Games, Article 5, & Divergent and I am kinda like them.
Have a nice day, guys!

message 545: by David (new)

David Estes (davidestesbooks) | 437 comments Hi Gisbelle, nice to see you in another one of my groups. I think you'll like this one too :)

message 546: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle Hi David :) I think so too

message 547: by Bethany (new)

Bethany | 1221 comments Welcome Gisbelle! :)

message 548: by Gracie (new)

Gracie (AmazingGracie5683) | 15 comments Thanks!
I absolutely love dystopian books...L-O-V-E!!! I loved Hunger Games (bet you never hear that one), Divergent, and Delirium. But my all-time favorite book is CRANK by Ellen Hopkins! I'm reading 8 books right now...yeah, you heard me right...but I can't stop starting new books. I've been in this group for a while, but I'm just now starting to comment on discussions.
~Gracie

message 549: by Tim (new)

Tim (djkilo) | 38 comments HI Gisbelle!! Welcome! Great to have you here :)

And Gracie, great to see you getting involved again! And i know all about starting new books! I'm only reading two right now but I've been known to start up to five or six hahaha It's just too hard sometimes .... especially if your like me and live next door to a second hand bookstore that ALWAYS has awesome Gems that pop up every few days lol :)

message 550: by Katrina (new)

Katrina Welsh (KatrinaWelsh_) Hello everyone. I'm Katrina and I love all genres of books but lately I seem to be reading dystopian after dystopian book (which I don't usually do as I like to vary the genres I read i won't get sick of it). I love Insurgent and I can't believe the long wait until the next installment. It'll be mind-blowingly amazing. I can't wait.
Also, I'm really keen on reading The Selection with the group. I've heard a lot of things about it (bad things, mostly) and I eager to see what m opinion on it will be.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Dead-Tossed Waves (other topics)
Birthmarked (other topics)
Across the Universe (other topics)
The Maze Runner (other topics)
The Windup Girl (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Seanan McGuire (other topics)
David P. Forsyth (other topics)