YA Apocalyptic and Dystopian Fiction discussion

General > Introduce Yourself!

Comments (showing 1-50 of 1,041) (1041 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 20 21

message 1: by Summer (new)

Summer (SunSset) | 49 comments Mod
Introduce yourself here and meet others who also enjoy Apocalyptic books!

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Hey! I'm Amy! I'm 20 years old and I live in California. I love apocalyptic and dytopian books. Probably my favorite genre ever. I really can't get enough. I'm excited to be part of the group. Nice to meet you!! :)

lézengő reader (kergezerge) Hi gals,

Thanks for the invitation, Summer.
I'm Zerge from Budapest.
I've read only two post-apocalyptic books: The Road by McCarthy and the Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan. The Hunger Games is on my urgent waiting list too. The Road was one of the very best books I read this year and ever.
I'm an enthusiast beginner at reading sci-fi, fantasy and dystopia, but really beginner.

message 4: by [deleted user] (last edited Dec 27, 2010 03:18PM) (new)

Hey Zerge! Budapest?! That's awesome! :) I haven't read The Road, but I saw the movie and liked it. I might have to read it now though. The Forest of Hands and Teeth is great, but its sequel, The Dead-Tossed Waves is way better. Oh, and The Hunger Games Series is absolutely amazing!!

Woo! Can't wait to read more dystopia!

message 5: by Summer (new)

Hey Zerge and Amy! I'm glad you both joined! :) The Road is definitely on my Urgent reading list and I can't wait to read it.
I'm about to read MockingJay (loooong overdue) and I'm so excited for it! Have either of you read it?

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Ah!! I loooved Mockingjay...but my fav in that series is still the Hunger Games. Mockingjay was a love it/hate it end to the series so I hope you like it! :)

message 7: by Summer (new)

I'm sure I will like it! I'll tell you what I think of it as soon as I finish.

message 8: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (aubrey0199) | 2 comments Hi, I'm Aubrey and I am from Texas. I don't think I really knew what dystopia was until I read Hunger Games...now I realize that there are a ton of books that I cannot wait to read...next up for me is The Uglies by Scott Westerfield. That counts as dystopian right?

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi Aubrey! Welcome to the group!! :) Isn't The Hunger Games totally awesome?!

Yes, The Uglies series is dystopian...I haven't read them, but they've been on my TBR pile forever. I'm gonna have to try them soon! You'll have to let me know how they are!

message 10: by Cat (new)

Cat (bonnie21) | 2 comments Hi I'm Cat and I'm from Ireland. I can't get enough of dystopian books my favorites being The Hunger Games. I just read Matched which was okay and now I'm reading Uglies and just bought Unwind. I just realised there are an awful lot of dystopian books to get through and I cant wait to read them & discuss.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Hey Cat! Welcome! :) My favorite series is The Hunger Games too! Oh, and Unwind is an awesome book!

message 12: by Summer (new)

Unwind was definitely amazing!

message 13: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 2 comments Hi!! My name is jessica I am from Minnesota. I dont read that much much but I listen to a TON of audiobooks. The Hunger Games is definitly a major favoite of mine. I have also listened to the fist two Uglies books. I loved The Road as well. Its not quite YA but The Year of The Flood by Margaret Atwood was very good as well.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Welcome Jessica! I have some family from Minnesota...I bet it's pretty cold up there right now lol :) I've never heard of The Year of The Flood, I'll have to check it out!

message 15: by Kogepam (new)

Kogepam | 9 comments Hi! My name is Pam...I'm from Delaware. I'm 25 and addicted to reading dystopian and fantasy YA books on my kindle. I've read a lot so far...the Uglies series, The Hunger Games series, and The Forest of Hands and Teeth (and sequel...which by the way is MUCH better! Thank you Amy!). Of course, the Road is a classic. I just finished Ship Breaker which was very very good.

I think Hollowland looks pretty awesome, I'll give that a try next :)

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Hey Pam! Welcome!! It's awesome to see new people here! I know isn't The Dead-Tossed Waves sooo much better! I really liked it! Now I'm super excited for the third :) I need to read Ship Breaker, it's been in my TBR pile for a long time.

Hollowland was awesome! I hope you like it!

message 17: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (Fiktshun) Hi! I'm Rachel from Los Angeles. I just started reading dystopian/apocalyptic novels. I still have not read The Hunger Games trilogy. I am deeply ashamed of this fact. But it's on my 2011 reading list, so am hopeful.

I loved Hollowland and loved XVI and own, but haven't read The Forest of Hands and Teeth and the sequel.

Does anyone have any great recommends for a Dystopian newbie?

message 18: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 21, 2011 06:54PM) (new)

Welcome! Haha there's soo many! You definitely need to read the Hunger Games. I can't stress that enough!! :) I really need to read XVI, that one is on my TBR shelf.

I loved Birthmarked, The Maze Runner. I haven't read the Uglies by Scott Westerfeld, but I've heard they're great! Oh and Across the Universe is part sci-fi, part dystopian and all awesome!

message 19: by Nichola (new)

Nichola | 28 comments Hi everyone! I'm Nichola from NYC. I love dystopian/apocalyptic novels, movies, short stories, you name it I love it. I just finished Hollowland and The Dead Tossed Waves few weeks ago. I am currently reading Switched also by Amanda Hocking. I look forward to reading The Maze Runner next month and participating with you guys in the future.

message 20: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (Fiktshun) Amy wrote: "Welcome! Haha there's soo many! You definitely need to read the Hunger Games. I can't stress that enough!! :) I really need to read XVI, that one is on my TBR shelf.

I loved [book:Birthmarked|6909..."

I'm going to check out Birthmarked right now. I own the other two, but thanks for the recommend!

message 21: by TiffBurlin (new)

TiffBurlin | 8 comments Hi Everyone :) my name is Tiffany, i absolutely love Amanda Hockings Books! Hollowland first favorite second her Trylle series of course. I am always trying to find more dystopian/apocalyptic books and everything else! so glad i am apart of this group, i'll become more aquatinted with them!

Absolutely loved Hollowland!

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

That's great!

Welcome everyone!

message 23: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea | 6 comments Thanks for the invite y'all! My name is Chelsea and I'm an avid reader. This is my first ever book club discussion and I'm totally psyched to be a part of it! I love Amanda Hocking's books (my favorite is Hollowland, of course) and the Hunger Games is one of my fav trilogies along with the Mortal Instruments series. My little sister recommended that I read the Deadtown series so I guess I'm going on to that next. Thanks again for allowing me to be a part! :)

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Hey Chelsea! Welcome to the group! I love the Mortal Instruments too! Aren't you psyched for the fourth one?! And the movie?! Yay! I've never read the Deadtown series, but it sounds interesting!

message 25: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea | 6 comments I know it! I can't wait to see what it looks like on the big screen! Have you read Clockwork Angel yet? I'm totally on a Cassandra Clare kick right now. Lol. I'm so ready for the 4th Mortal Instruments and the 2nd Clockwork Angel as well.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Ahh! Me too! I liked Clockwork Angel, but I'm obsessed with The Mortal Instruments :)

message 27: by Schlenia (new)

Schlenia (sklynn) | 1 comments Hey everyone! I'm Schlenia from Las Vegas. I love Amanda Hocking and basically everything that she has written. I am excited to be part of this group!

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

Welcome Schlenia!

message 29: by Tish (new)

Tish (paradiseisalibrary) | 33 comments Hi I'm Tish. I'm 23... soon to be 24. I really just read about anything. I love fantasy and just recently tried an apocalyptic book. I read Hollowland last month and really liked it. I've read dystopian books before and really liked them but never anything with zombies or anything truly apocalyptic. Right now I'm reading the Ranger's Apprentice series. I just recently finished the last book in Amanda Hocking's Trylle trilogy, Ascend. It was really good. Ever since I got my kindle I've been reading like crazy. I can say honestly I've probably read almost 30 books since the beginning of December. I've always been a huge bookworm and Kindle has really just made it a lot easier for me to devour books. lol I love my Kindle!

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

Welcome to the group Tish! I love fantasy stuff too and I've been meaning to try the Ranger's Apprentice Series!

message 31: by Tish (new)

Tish (paradiseisalibrary) | 33 comments You should. I'm on book 4 at the moment and they've been so good I haven't been able to put them down. I've basically read them all in one sitting. I read the third book last night lol

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

Dang I'm gonna have to try them now! Thanks! :)

message 33: by Tish (new)

Tish (paradiseisalibrary) | 33 comments No problem!

Suzy (ereaderuser) (suzyereaderuser) | 63 comments Thanks Amy for the invitation to join this group! I'm Suzy from California. I'm totally into zombies right now and loved Hollowland! Another of my favorite reads over the last few months was Feed by Mira Grant. In addition to Apocalyptic and Dystopian fiction I also read Mystery/Crime/Thrillers, and Urban Fantasy. Since getting my Nook and Nookcolor I've been reading like crazy. I look forward to participating!!!

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi Suzy! Welcome! I'm from Cali too! Sweet! Enjoying our non-winter? Haha :) I'm totally on a zombie kick right now too and I've been wanting to read Feed for a while! I think I'll do that one soon!

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

Hey! Thanks for the invitation! I'm Katelyn , 18 years old soon to be 19. Currenty residing in old good Virginia. I love anything having to do with Apocalyptic and Dystopian. just finished reading Hollowland, can't wait to find other good books to devour! :)

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

Welcome Katelyn!

message 38: by Amy (new)

Amy (Crazybeautiful1409) | 22 comments Hello I am Amy and I am from Arizona! I loved hollowland and can't wait to discuss with all of you!

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

Hey Amy! Welcome to the group! We are all Hollowland-obsessed! :)

Suzy (ereaderuser) (suzyereaderuser) | 63 comments @Amy...I'm in Valencia and it has been nice lately. But we did get snow a couple weeks ago! It was gone the next day, and we didn't get much.

message 41: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (Amonika) | 120 comments Hello, I'm Amanda from Ohio. I like all types of books but Fantasy and Apocalyptic type books. I have read a lot of them. I can't wait to see what you recommend to read.

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

Welcome Amanda! :)

@Suzy: I'm in san diego. Snow? What's that? Haha!

Suzy (ereaderuser) (suzyereaderuser) | 63 comments I know...I'm not a fan of the snow! I get to San Diego area once in awhile for my finch club meetings.

message 44: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (Nicole_Sheree) | 34 comments Hello all,
I'm Nicole and I am 26-almost-27. I live in the sloppy weather INW.
I love reading and I've been reading almost non-stop since I was in the fifth grade. I will read (almost)anything that can hold my attention past the first few chapters.
I have more favorite authors than I can name off the top of my head, but a few that I have read recently and fallen in booklove with are, Amanda Hocking, Penelope Fletcher, Suzanne Collins, and one that may very well become my next fav- Rachel Vincent.

message 45: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (Nicole_Sheree) | 34 comments Oh, and thanks for the invite to the group Amy!

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

Welcome to the group Nicole! I love Suzanne Collins too! And I really like Rachel Vincent's books, well the Soul Savers series, I haven't read any of the other ones :)

message 47: by Nyimah (new)

Nyimah Hi everyone. Thanks for the invite. I'm from Texas and just really got back on the reading train. I Must admit I am not totally familar with dystopia but I luv urban fantsy. Loved. Allof Amanda Hockings work. Big fan of the Mortal Instruments and Clockwork Angel series. Looking forward to sharing with the group.

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

Welcome Nymiah! I love Cassandra Clare's books too! I'm eagerly awaiting the next one! :)

message 49: by Nichola (last edited Jan 23, 2011 07:44AM) (new)

Nichola | 28 comments Nicole wrote: "Hello all,
I'm Nicole and I am 26-almost-27. I live in the sloppy weather INW.
I love reading and I've been reading almost non-stop since I was in the fifth grade. I will read (almost)anythi..."

I love Penelope Fletcher, I can't wait for the sequel to The Demon Girl.

message 50: by Katie (new)

Katie | 20 comments Hi Everyone,
my name is Katie and I'm from Illinois. I love just about any kind of sci-fi, paranormal, and dystopian story out there. I am really excited to get suggestions of new books that I haven't heard about yet. Thanks for starting this group!

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 20 21

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Dead-Tossed Waves (other topics)
Birthmarked (other topics)
Across the Universe (other topics)
The Maze Runner (other topics)
The Windup Girl (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Seanan McGuire (other topics)
David P. Forsyth (other topics)