J.D. Robb discussion

Archives > Who's stealing the chocolate?

Comments (showing 51-100 of 254) (254 new)    post a comment »

message 51: by Jessa ♥dhanger♥ EvilDarkSide (last edited May 25, 2010 05:27PM) (new)

Jessa ♥dhanger♥ EvilDarkSide (metalgirl80) Anyone think Feeney has the guts to do it. I don't think Eve would ever suspect him and thats why he could get away with it!

message 52: by Ren (new)

Ren (RenPuspita) | 106 comments Make sense Jessa ^^
But why he stealing the candy?

Jessa ♥dhanger♥ EvilDarkSide (metalgirl80) RNDo wrote: "Make sense Jessa ^^
But why he stealing the candy?"

Well, he does like to eat and real chocolate is hard to come by. And maybe he gets some satisfaction from being able to outwit the "top cop", especially since he is the one who trained her.

message 54: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa (alyssa_hesper) | 286 comments Jessa wrote: "RNDo wrote: "Make sense Jessa ^^
But why he stealing the candy?"

Well, he does like to eat and real chocolate is hard to come by. And maybe he gets some satisfaction from being able to outwit ..."

Love that idea!

message 55: by Vanessa (last edited Jun 17, 2010 09:12PM) (new)

Vanessa (Vanessamc) | 646 comments Okay,

I was listening to Holiday in Death today, and there's a scene when Eve comes into her office to find a certain someone rifling around in her desk drawers. When she informs this person that she has moved her candy stash, they do not deny that it is what they are looking for and offer no excuse, such as they were looking for a pen.

I didn't remember this scene at all, as the gag seems to run later than this book. Perhaps those of you that suggest more than one person is right. At least Eve might think so, or she wouldn't be constantly raving about finding the candy thief. Maybe she is just concerned about finding the current candy thief and having some kind of definitive proof.

Oh, and by the way, the person she found going through her desk was McNab.

message 56: by Gina (new)

Gina | 20 comments I don't think it's Peabody. I think it'll be someone nobody suspects at all.
Watch it turn out to be trueheart.

message 57: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (ezepeze11) | 577 comments i agree with you gina! i dont think it is peabody either, she knows eve's evil side too well to know she would get turned inside out if she was ever caught!

and when all is revealed, i bet we all are going to feel dumb, "oh yea!! of course now it makes sense!!"

i cant wait

message 58: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa (Vanessamc) | 646 comments I'm in agreement about Peabody. There is one scene where Eve is testing the wrapper for fingerprints and Peabody is quite surprised by the whole espisode. I originally thought McNab, but he didn't come to the books until about book 6, I think. I still think it's probably Baxter, or maybe the whole squad.

message 59: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Goldin (stephengoldin) | 43 comments Peabody definitely does not have a death wish....

message 60: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa (Vanessamc) | 646 comments Good point!

message 61: by Gina (new)

Gina | 20 comments Someone would have to either be very gutsy or stupid to take Eve's chocolate.

message 62: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa (alyssa_hesper) | 286 comments Gina wrote: "Someone would have to either be very gutsy or stupid to take Eve's chocolate."

Agreed :)

message 63: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Goldin (stephengoldin) | 43 comments I don't think JDR will ever tell us. Speaking as an author myself, I know how much fun it is to keep readers guessing--and whoever would ultimately be revealed as the culprit would be a big letdown.

message 64: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa (alyssa_hesper) | 286 comments Stephen wrote: "I don't think JDR will ever tell us. Speaking as an author myself, I know how much fun it is to keep readers guessing--and whoever would ultimately be revealed as the culprit would be a big letdown."

I think you're right - this is one mystery that probably remain unsolved.

message 65: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa (Vanessamc) | 646 comments Okay, here's one for you. Can anyone name a place where she's hidden her chocolate? I love the one where she has it hidden in the ceiling tile. I think Peabody walked in on that one.

message 66: by Alyssa (last edited Jan 15, 2011 02:08PM) (new)

Alyssa (alyssa_hesper) | 286 comments She taped one to the building outside of her office window.

message 67: by Gina (new)

Gina | 20 comments this could be wrong, but for some reason i think she had one in a recycling bin. or some sort of trash. Not sure.

message 68: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa (alyssa_hesper) | 286 comments Gina wrote: "this could be wrong, but for some reason i think she had one in a recycling bin. or some sort of trash. Not sure."

She did - it was taped inside the recycler underneath her desk if I'm not mistaken.

message 69: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (ezepeze11) | 577 comments haha oh eve. i dont care if you guys think we are never going to find out, i think she is going to tell us one of these days. it says on the jd robb website that she already knows who it is. this is copy/pasted from the website

Who is the Candy Thief? When will we find out?

Nora knows the identity of the Candy Thief, but she’s not sure when that person will be unmasked in the books.

message 70: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa (Vanessamc) | 646 comments I think the recycler is correct. I know of another time when it was hidden behind the auto-chef.

message 71: by Adelheid (new)

Adelheid (thecelticmyst) | 42 comments It can't be Trueheart. He hasn't been in the series long enough.

message 72: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (ezepeze11) | 577 comments I don't thInk It's truehart he is too weenie

message 73: by Serena (new)

Serena | 8 comments oh this is too funny lol...I've been wondering who the Candy thief is too! Maybe it's Commander Whitney lol nobody would ever suspect him.

message 74: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa (alyssa_hesper) | 286 comments Serena wrote: "oh this is too funny lol...I've been wondering who the Candy thief is too! Maybe it's Commander Whitney lol nobody would ever suspect him."

Ohhh, I like that idea!

message 75: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (ezepeze11) | 577 comments ..I think Whitney respects her waaay too much to do that! My that Peabody and them don't respect her, but I just feel like with Whitney it's different.

message 76: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (InDeathAddict) | 1026 comments When was the candy thief introduced? I know it wasn't the first book. It would have to be someone who could get into Eve's office without being noticed. I can totally see Baxter doing it. That is just his type of personality. My next thought would be McNab, but as often as it happens I cannot see him not getting caught. He does have to do the IT stuff. Which would keep him chained to his desk.

message 77: by Adelheid (new)

Adelheid (thecelticmyst) | 42 comments The early introduction of the candy thief is one of the reasons it can not be Peabody or Trueheart. I still think its Whitney.

message 78: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (ezepeze11) | 577 comments I think Whitney would be noticed going into Eve'e office all the time, because he's the boss and all. I think it's Feeney!

message 79: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1026 comments I think it's all of them—her whole squad. I bet it's a big squad secret or something... If they weren't all in on it, I think someone would have gotten caught by now.

message 80: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (ezepeze11) | 577 comments Sara ♥ wrote: "I think it's all of them—her whole squad. I bet it's a big squad secret or something... If they weren't all in on it, I think someone would have gotten caught by now."

Smart! And they probably initiated Peabody and McNab and Trueheart so even though they werent there in the beginning, they are part of it now!

That really makes sense because i doubt one person could pull it off alone. For one thing, someone going in her office all the time would raise suspicions. As would someone eating "real chocolate". And, if they work as a team, they can have people be lookouts! And have certain people set up to talk to Eve so they know where she will be..or tail her and report back :P

message 81: by Sara ♥ (last edited Dec 05, 2011 08:30PM) (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1026 comments Yeah, I mean, when Eve's out of town, it's not a big deal, but if she's there in NYC, someone would definitely need to be a lookout... I bet they have a whole system in place... :P And they would all keep it a secret, because they're all getting real chocolate out of it!

message 82: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 152 comments I think it is like Cat said in post #4; it is an initiation thing, so everyone in the bull pen is guilty.

message 83: by Elizabeth (last edited Dec 08, 2011 06:39AM) (new)

Elizabeth (ezepeze11) | 577 comments exactly! they all have reason not to rat, because they have all had chocolate at some point! And i bet if anyone catches them, they just bring them into the "club" to avoid the outsiders alerting Eve.

message 84: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 152 comments Good point, Elizabeth!

message 85: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (InDeathAddict) | 1026 comments Tonya wrote: "I think that it is Roarke, even though he brings here chocolate sometimes. Who else could Always find where she hides it and Never leave prints? =)"

Well of course the NYPD could find the chocolate stash and not leave prints. Even I know to wear gloves so I don't leave prints. They would be so much better. I do like the idea of her whole squad in on it.

Eve needs to get a hidden camera maybe hidden in the wall.

message 86: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (ezepeze11) | 577 comments I know! i totally know not to leave prints with gloves too, so being that they are police officers, AND from the future with their cans of Seal-It and whatnot, they totally won't get caught unless Eve puts in a camera. I can't believe she hasn't thought of that already!

message 87: by Cher (new)

Cher (Sharpei) | 61 comments I think that Dallas loves the cat and mouse game between her and the candy thief. Its a battle of wits and wills and you know she always wins! She wouldn't ever give up that game.

message 88: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 152 comments Oh, you are so right, Cheri!

message 89: by Zaanodes (new)

Zaanodes | 38 comments Something is tickling the memory...Didn't Eve think about a camera at some point and decided not to? It was basically just a one line thought in one of the stories (but which story?). Kind of like 'Where can I hide the candy next? I could set up a camera...nah, no challenge there."

Or am I misremembering???

message 90: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1026 comments I think Roarke was like, "Why don't you just set up a camera?" and Eve rejected the idea, because she wanted to catch the thief herself, or something like that... yes?

message 91: by Zaanodes (new)

Zaanodes | 38 comments Sara ♥ wrote: "I think Roarke was like, "Why don't you just set up a camera?" and Eve rejected the idea, because she wanted to catch the thief herself, or something like that... yes?"

Maybe that was it. I just have the feeling a camera was thought about and rejected.

message 92: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (ezepeze11) | 577 comments Zaanodes wrote: "Sara ♥ wrote: "I think Roarke was like, "Why don't you just set up a camera?" and Eve rejected the idea, because she wanted to catch the thief herself, or something like that... yes?"

Maybe that w..."

aaaaaahh!! that makes me feel better knowing that Eve is not only still at the top of her game (duh!) but that she is embracing the challenge!

message 93: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (InDeathAddict) | 1026 comments I do remember her thinking it was too easy to set up a camera, but I don't remember Roarke suggesting it. That would be a good trivia question! Of course all she has to do is let it be known that she has a camera hidden and walla no candy thief. They would be spending all their time looking for a non-existant camera.

message 94: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 152 comments I'm doing a "re-read" of this series via audio (which I strongly suggest - as the narrator, Susan Ericksen, was born to read this - she is great!

Anywayz. . . I'm listening to Conspiracy in Death (In Death, #8) by J.D. Robb right now and Dallas just mentioned to Roarke that someone took her candy again. He just make a quick comment about not trusting cops. . . I'll see if he says anything else and let you know.

It is a good trivia question!

message 95: by Zaanodes (new)

Zaanodes | 38 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "I'm doing a "re-read" of this series via audio (which I strongly suggest - as the narrator, Susan Ericksen, was born to read this - she is great!

Anywayz. . . I'm listening to [bookcover:Conspir..."

Oh, good! Keep us posted, please, please, please???

message 96: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 152 comments I went to Wiki In Death and found this. Warning: spoilers!

The Candy Thief.

message 97: by Zaanodes (new)

Zaanodes | 38 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "I went to Wiki In Death and found this. Warning: spoilers!

The Candy Thief."

Thank you for the link!

Darn, I guess I was hallucinating about the camera...

message 98: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 152 comments I don't know. Sounds familiar. The site is only as good as the people who post/update.

message 99: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1026 comments There was definitely a camera! I remember it too, Zaanodes!

message 100: by Zaanodes (new)

Zaanodes | 38 comments Sara ♥ wrote: "There was definitely a camera! I remember it too, Zaanodes!"

Yeah! More to prove that I am not as crazy as I think I am!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Holiday in Death (other topics)
Conspiracy in Death (other topics)
Naked in Death (other topics)
Loyalty in Death (other topics)