Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

Paranormal Romance > New to Paranormal Romance- recommendations please!!!

Comments (showing 1-21 of 21) (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kelli (new)

Kelli (ukyprincesskelli) Hi everyone!!

I just joined this group, eh probably 3 minutes ago haha, and I am looking for some recommendations!

I'm a middle school teacher so during the school year I try to keep up with what my students read (House of Night, Vampire Academy, Twilight, Morganville Vampires, etc) however, during the breaks I like to do a little reading just for me!

So I am looking for some suggestions on book and/or series to start with! Anything recommendations would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!!! :)

message 2: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 429 comments I got my start with the dark hunter series, the first is fantasy lover. The black dagger brotherhood books are great too. Karen Marie moning has one of my favorite series, the fever series, but apparently some of the characters from her Highlander series appear in the fever books so start with the highland books, the first is beyond the highland mist.

message 3: by Nita (new)

Nita (gillnit) | 697 comments I highly recommend the Psy-Changelings series by Nalini Singh. The first book is Slave to Sensation (Psy-Changeling, #1) by Nalini Singh.

message 4: by Susan (Suz) (new)

Susan (Suz) (sharney) | 253 comments I would 2nd Black Dagger Brotherhood series by JR Ward! Also I would recommend Gena Showalters Lords of the Underworld and Kresley Cole's Immortals after Dark...

message 5: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 449 comments I'd recommend The Mercy Thompson series by Patricia Briggs. the first book is Moon Called

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) (Ter05) | 608 comments My favorite of all is The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare. My teen granddaughters have read them three and four times, my daughters in law love them.

That said, my favorite author is Juliet Marillier. Her books are based on legends or fairy tales, but VERY different than the originals to the point that you often can't tell where the inspiration came from. Her Sevenwaters series is probably the favorite of most of her readers, but I loved the Bridei Chronicles best. They are not modern stories - most are based in around the fifth century in Ireland and Britain- when people really believed in the Fey - and if you read these stories you will believe too! Wildwood Dancing and Cybele's Secret are YA and the others are not although they are not real graphic.
In the YA books I love Shiver and Linger and also The Iron King and The Iron Daughter.

message 7: by Steph (new)

Steph (Angel4492) | 177 comments Nita wrote: "I highly recommend the Psy-Changelings series by Nalini Singh. The first book is Slave to Sensation (Psy-Changeling, #1) by Nalini Singh."

I second that!

Go, Jessica! That covers a very many of the great PNR/UFs, for sure.

Happy reading, Kelli! You're in for a treat if you've been limited to YA. Also have to say it's very cool you're reading those to keep up with the kids. I love this new "supernatural is cool" world. When I first started in the genre people gave you the, "vampires, huh? Okaaaay." look or speech when they asked or saw what I was reading. :)

message 8: by Kelli (new)

Kelli (ukyprincesskelli) Thank you all so much!!! I'm in the process of adding them all as "to-read" now.

Happy Reading!! And Merry Christmas to you all! :)

message 9: by Brenna (new)

Brenna Lyons (BrennaLyons) | 177 comments Do you WANT things that are YA safe, so you can discuss them with your students? If so...

CHRONICLES OF NICK books from the Dark Hunter series by Sherrilyn Kenyon (THESE titles are YA safe as are the Mangas of the main series but not the novels)

VASSEL OF EL by Gloria Oliver (actually...just about anything Gloria writes)

JUMPER series by Steven Gould

UGLIES series by Scott Westerfeld

INCARNATIONS OF IMMORTALITY series by Piers Anthony (but not UNDER A VELVET CLOAK (the last book in the series) for teens...and none of them for young teens...my kids read them at 13, but most kids wouldn't read them that young)

WINTER QUEEN and SNOW QUEEN by Joan Vinge

WHITE ODYSSEY by Darrell Bain (very political but an excellent, award winning science fiction romance book...I loved it)

Brenna

message 10: by Brenna (new)

Brenna Lyons (BrennaLyons) | 177 comments Oh! I almost forgot...

BITTER SWEET by Michelle Levigne! She just put out a second in the series, but I haven't had a chance to read it yet. It's called THE WOLF THAT WAS.

She has another series that's really good for teens called EMERALD NECKLACE. I believe the two books in it are WOLVES ON THE WEST SIDE and SHATTER SCATTER.

If you want some humor, try CADS AND CADAVERS by Kelly Lougheed.

Brenna

message 11: by Melissa (last edited Dec 22, 2010 07:09AM) (new)

Melissa For something quick and fun: The Argeneau Family series by Lynsay Sands. Starts with A Quick Bite.

For something else quick and fun, but also YA friendly: Mediator series by Meg Cabot. First of the six books is Shadowland.

For an epic romance, medieval style: The Chronicles of the Warlands series by Elizabeth Vaughan. In order: Warprize, Warsworn,Warlord, and new in 2011 (!) Warcry. She spun off from this series to create new characters who are in this world, so if you like these, I recommend those as well.

For some paranormal historical romance: Gardella Vampire Chronicles by Colleen Gleason. The whole series of five books is out already. Start with The Rest Falls Away.

Happy Reading!

message 12: by Brenna (new)

Brenna Lyons (BrennaLyons) | 177 comments For animal lover kids, also consider WARRIOR CATS series by Erin Hunter. All three of my kids adore it, boy and girls alike.

Brenna

message 13: by Tamara (new)

Tamara | 29 comments Read most of the series already mentioned and love most, but you are missing a few must reads. Christine Feehan, Carpathians (dark)series, Drake sisters, Game series, Leopard series. Lora Leigh- Breed series. Lori Handeland - Night Creatures. Jacqulyn Franks - Nightwalker/Shadowalker series. Angela Knight - Mageverse and time travel series. Christine Warren - Others.Jean Johnson - Sons of Destiny. Christina Dodd -Dark Chosen and Chosen. I just noticed there are a lot of Christine's! LOL I'm sure I'm still forgetting a few but, add these to your list!

message 14: by Steph (new)

Steph (Angel4492) | 177 comments I hope you enjoy it, Regan! She's created such a detailed, intriguing world. I will be torn up if she ever ends it. Happy Reading!!

message 15: by Angela (last edited Dec 22, 2010 07:29PM) (new)

Angela (englandismine) | 23 comments Check out Jeaniene Frost's Night Huntress series!
and Patricia Briggs Mercy Thompson Series!

Awesome books I promise!!

And def read The Hunger Games!

message 16: by Kelli (new)

Kelli (ukyprincesskelli) Angela wrote: "Check out Jeaniene Frost's Night Huntress series!
and Patricia Briggs Mercy Thompson Series!

Awesome books I promise!!

And def read The Hunger Games!"

Thanks!! I just realized I own a couple of the Mercy Thompson books- I have so many books it's hard to keep up with them all! :)

I LOVED the Hunger Games series!!!

message 17: by Gaynell (new)

Gaynell (GaynellK) | 20 comments I loved the Mercy Thompson series, also.

My very favorite UF series is the fever series by Karen Marie Moning. The first book isDarkfever. The final book is coming out January 18.

Another great UF series is the Kate Daniels series by Ilona Andrews.

If you like classic fantasy, you might like the Tairen Soul series by C.L. Wilson. One of my favorites.

My very favorite paranormal romance series is the Immortals After Dark series by Kresley Cole. Cole puts a lot of humor in the series. If you read them, you will love the Valkyrie, Nix.

message 18: by Sandra J (new)

Sandra J Weaver (sandraweaver) | 430 comments A good fantasy with romance elements (shelved with romance though) is The Battle Sylph. I really enjoyed the book and picked up the sequel. I think a third is coming out next year. And for funny PNR, you can't beat Shelly Laurenston.

message 19: by Angela (new)

Angela (angbens) | 343 comments The series that really sucked me in PNR was The Black Dagger Brotherhood by J.R. Ward. Also, The Sookie Stackhouse Series. I also LOVE Gena Showalter's Lord's of the Underworld series. There are many many more, I could go on for hours.

message 20: by Lisa M (new)

Lisa M (lamessegee) | 248 comments There are many excellent books listed here! I would add the Warriors of Poseidon series by Alyssa Day.

message 21: by Lisa M (new)

Lisa M (lamessegee) | 248 comments Here are two more:
Sentinel Wars Series, Shannon K. Butcher
Shadow Keepers Series, J. K. Beck

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Slave to Sensation (other topics)
Moon Called (other topics)
Warsworn (other topics)
The Rest Falls Away (other topics)
Warlord (other topics)
More...