Romantic Historical Fiction Lovers discussion

FAVORITE PERIOD FILMS > RHFL FAVORITE PERIOD FILMS

Comments (showing 201-250 of 287) (287 new)    post a comment »

message 201: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Emery Lee (AuthorEmeryLee) | 900 comments Mod
Jill wrote: "Thankyou Emery! What a hoot! Is that movie out yet?"

It's a 2011 release. Not sure the exact date. I am dying to see it. Could use a good laugh!

message 202: by Jill (new)

Jill I'll be checking it out when it's released!

message 203: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Jill wrote: "I'll be checking it out when it's released!"

Me too! Can't wait!

message 204: by Christine (last edited Aug 29, 2011 04:01PM) (new)

Christine (ChristineBlevins) | 12 comments I had to come and chime in here. My daughter Grace and I spent the weekend with popcorn, watching some of our favorite movies before she goes back to school on Monday. (lucky for me, Gracie has inherited my predilection for things historical) We watched:

PRIDE & PREJUDICE (the Keira Knightly version, I really like the production value)

SENSE & SENSIBILITY (the Emma Thompson version - I love the casting, especially Alan Rickman as Colonel Brandon)

ROB ROY (So fantastic! Tim Roth is an awesome villain, and the culminating sword fight is probably the most realistic of any every filmed)

LAST OF THE MOHICANS - I love, love, LOVE this movie. Danial Day Lewis is the perfect Hawkeye. This movie has romance, Indians, and Redcoats! This movie helped inspire my interest in pre-revolutionary America and ultimately, my debut novel. The cinematography is gorgeous, and the music is awesome - this is a soundtrack I listen to while I write.

A VERY LONG ENGAGEMENT – French subtitles directed by the same director who did AMELIE, with the same actress in the lead. This movie is set during and after WWI and is just a wonderful story and romance.

message 205: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Christine wrote: "I had to come and chime in here. My daughter Grace and I spent the weekend with popcorn, watching some of our favorite movies before she goes back to school on Monday. (lucky for me, Gracie has inh..."

Hi Christine! How cool to have a daughter to enjoy these with! I have two boys and am glad that one of them likes history. My husband and younger son HATE anything historical! I had not hear of A VERY LONG ENGAGEMENT. I'll have to check it out.

message 206: by Sabrina (new)

Sabrina | 9 comments Christine - GREAT LIST!!!! The only one I haven't seen is Rob Roy - have to check it out - the rest I love. Like Emery, I have all boys in the house (3 of them). My house is dominated by SPORTS!!!! And while I don't mind a game here or there, it ALWAYS on at my house. It would be nice to kick back with a couple of movies one weekend. Football is starting - I may just have to get myself a couple of movies and lock myself in my room . . . :-)

message 207: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Hi Everyone!
Here's a film I haven't seen mentioned here yet:
RESTORATION :
"Restoration is a 1995 American historical drama film. Directed by Michael Hoffman, the film stars Robert Downey Jr. as a debauched. lecherous 17th century medical student. The film is based on the novel of the same title by Rose Tremain." Restoration by Rose Tremain

This film won several awards and was highly praised by costume designers for its period authenticity. Anyone seen it?
(I'm going to pop on over to Amazon to order a copy!)

message 208: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Emery wrote: "Hi Everyone!
Here's a film I haven't seen mentioned here yet:
RESTORATION :
"Restoration is a 1995 American historical drama film. Directed by Michael Hoffman, the film stars Robert Downey Jr. as ..."

Also- has anyone read the book? It has great reviews. I am wonmdering if we should add it to our 17th century shelf. I only need a nomination to do so.

message 209: by C.J. (new)

C.J. Archer (CJArcher) | 25 comments Restoration sounds great. I think Roberty Downey Jr would do a fabulous job as "a debauched, lecherous 17th century medical student" Lol.

message 210: by Georgie (new)

Georgie Lee (GeorgieLee) | 29 comments I love Restoration! Gorgeous movie.

message 211: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (last edited Sep 02, 2011 06:50PM) (new)

C.J. wrote: "Restoration sounds great. I think Roberty Downey Jr would do a fabulous job as "a debauched, lecherous 17th century medical student" Lol."

Hi C.J. I watched it today and truthfully would love to have seen Robert Downey Jr. in the role of Charles II!!! Somehow Sam Neil didn't seem right for the part. Not enough of the indolent rogue in him I think. LOVED LOVED LOVED RDJ in the recent Sherlock Holmes movie.

message 212: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Georgie wrote: "I love Restoration! Gorgeous movie."

@Georgie and C.J.- Since we're on the subject of the Restoration, Judith James new title just came out this week and the plot looks similar to this movie in that her hero is asked to wed one of the king's mistresses. I'm dying to read it as I love Judiths' work. The King's Courtesan by Judith James

message 213: by HeatherJay (new)

HeatherJay | 1 comments Downton Abbey on PBS this year was REALLY good. Second part is coming out in January and I can't wait.

message 214: by C.J. (new)

C.J. Archer (CJArcher) | 25 comments Emery - I haven't read Judith James. That book looks interesting.

Heather - I LOVED Downton Abbey. Can't wait for the next series to start.

message 215: by Scarlett (new)

Scarlett Rains | 7 comments Jill wrote: "Thankyou Emery! What a hoot! Is that movie out yet?"

I love Keira in Pride and Prejudice and Gwynneth in Emma. Has anyone seen The Ideal Husband? Kate Blanchette stars in it. It is wonderful!

message 216: by Georgie (new)

Georgie Lee (GeorgieLee) | 29 comments I love The Ideal husband. Have it on DVD, saw it in theatres. Rupert Everet is so good in it.

message 217: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

@Scarlett and Georgie- I have not seen AN IDEAL HUSBAND but it looks fab. Here's a link to the movie trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ST4ne1...

message 218: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

HI All!
I got the entire BBC PALISER'S Series as well as A HARLOT'S PROGRESS DVD's for Christmas. Am so excited to watch them. Any great period DVD's in your stockings?

message 219: by Jill (new)

Jill Emery wrote: "HI All!
I got the entire BBC PALISER'S Series as well as A HARLOT'S PROGRESS DVD's for Christmas. Am so excited to watch them. Any great period DVD's in your stockings?"

No DVDs Emery, only books and chocolates. My two favourite things.

message 220: by Shelley (new)

Shelley | 22 comments Robert Downey Jr. is one of the most talented actors of our time, but I think in the distant past I saw that movie, and I just couldn't tolerate him in the long wig!

Shelley
Rain: A Dust Bowl Story
http://dustbowlpoetry.wordpress.com

message 221: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Shelley wrote: "Robert Downey Jr. is one of the most talented actors of our time, but I think in the distant past I saw that movie, and I just couldn't tolerate him in the long wig!

Shelley
Rain: A Dust Bowl S..."

I think he's fabulous too. And such soulful dark eyes!

message 222: by Lesley (new)

Lesley | 1 comments My favorite movie is Persuasion and I don't even care which version. I can't say how many times I've watched it. Also really liked BBC's Cranford and North and South. Looking forward to Season 2 of Downton Abby.

message 223: by Holly (new)

Holly Bush | 11 comments My absolute all time favorite is A & E's Pride and Prejudice. Thompson's Sense and Sensibility a close second.

Her Majesty, Mrs. Brown is a fav too.

message 224: by Lea (new)

Lea (BuntingLA) Loved some of those you have already mentioned, and I've added a few others.

The Thorn Birds (Who didn't love Richard Chamberlin after that???)
North and South
Pride and Prejudice (BBC version)
Valmont - Maybe not the best movie, but Colin Firth was enjoyable to watch.
Restoration
Brideshead Revisited (1981 Jeremy Irons/Anthony Andrews)
Rob Roy
Braveheart
The Patriot
Girl with a Pearl Earring (Can you see a Colin Firth trend here?)
A Man for All Seasons (1966)

message 225: by Holly (new)

Holly Bush | 11 comments Loved 'The Patriot'. Forgot to mention it. You're right about Richard Chamberlin in the Thornbirds. Roots was a favorite too.

Lea wrote: "Loved some of those you have already mentioned, and I've added a few others.

North and South
..."

Romancing Olive by Holly Bush

message 226: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Lea wrote: "Loved some of those you have already mentioned, and I've added a few others.

North and South
..."

There IS something about Colin Firth!

message 227: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Caswell | 3 comments Heidi wrote: "Hey all of you North & South fans. I just finished the series and LOVED it. Thanks for suggesting it. I don't know how I missed it. I have to read the book now, which has fantastic reviews. I'..."

I didn't discover Gaskell until my Victorian Lit class in college, but she's a fabulous storyteller. The BBC films based on her books are all incredible, though Cranford was a rather loose interpretation.

message 228: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Caswell | 3 comments My favorite period films are numerous because I love history and the romance of the past. I repeated a few favorites from other contributors, but I also included some I hope not everyone has seen.

I already mentioned the Gaskell films in a previous post, but I also have to shout out to Jane Austen adaptions: Pride & Prejudice (Firth), Sense & Sensibility (Thompson and Morahan), and Persuasion (Hawkins).

I have a few adaptions of Jane Eyre that top my list, foremost of which stars Toby Stephens. I think I just felt they got Rochester right.

Other favorites based on books:
The Scarlet Pimpernel (Seymour)
Gettysburg
Anne of Green Gables (Follows)
A Little Princess (1986)
Les Miserables (Neeson)
A Room with a View (Bonham Carter)
Little Women (Sarandon)
Friendly Persuasion
A Man for All Seasons (play, not book)
Nicholas Nickleby (Hunnam)

And just regular films:
Stage Beauty (I watch it edited)
Jodhaa Akbar (foreign)
Babette's Feast (foreign)
Victoria and Albert
Gandhi (I hope it counts)

message 229: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Amanda wrote: "My favorite period films are numerous because I love history and the romance of the past. I repeated a few favorites from other contributors, but I also included some I hope not everyone has seen.
..."

@ Amanda - GREAT LIST!!! Thanks for adding it!

message 230: by Lila (new)

Lila santelices | 1 comments Its hard to remember all my faves and choose just one!

But I love P&P(Knightley) too, Dead Again, Gone with the wind of course, and Oscar and Lucinda (Fiennes and Blanchett).

I've been watching Austen movies on youtube lately and so far, I liked Persuasion (Hawkins), Mansfield Park but I loved the latest Northanger Abbey (Felicity Jones)! Love the chemistry between Catherine and Mr. Tilney! I wish I could get me a Mr. Darcy, Captain Wentworth, Mr. Knightley and esp. Mr. Tilney in real life!

message 231: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Lila wrote: "Its hard to remember all my faves and choose just one!

But I love P&P(Knightley) too, Dead Again, Gone with the wind of course, and Oscar and Lucinda (Fiennes and Blanchett).

I've been watching ..."

WoW! I do need to look for OScar and Lucinda! It looks fabulous! Especially given my propensity for gaming stories (wink)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9KRbr...

message 232: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Big thumbs up for Season 2 of "Downton Abbey"!

message 233: by Shea (new)

Shea | 42 comments I can't believe I forgot about it but one of the movies I go back and watch over and over is The Hallmark Hall of Fame "Love Letter" with Campbell Scott and Jennifer Jason Leigh. For those that enjoy the love across time theme of "Dead Again" you might want to check it out.

message 234: by Trudy (new)

Trudy Brasure | 4 comments The BBC's 'North and South' is my absolute favorite for passion with a touch of history.
I'm not one for violence, but I adored the cinematography and the heroic story of 'Gladiator,' which gave us a flavor of the glory and dangerous treachery of the Roman Empire. There was a love story there too, the viewer had just never met the wife so fondly remembered.

message 235: by M.K. (new)

M.K. (MKStelmack) | 17 comments Trudy wrote: "The BBC's 'North and South' is my absolute favorite for passion with a touch of history.
I'm not one for violence, but I adored the cinematography and the heroic story of 'Gladiator,' which gave u..."

Yes, John Thornton was marvellous, played the conflicted hero so well. And very much a romance. Good for you for writing a sequel of sorts!

message 236: by M.K. (new)

M.K. (MKStelmack) | 17 comments Nancy wrote: "Big thumbs up for Season 2 of "Downton Abbey"!"

Yep, well-played out romance that kept us panting until the very last scene!

message 237: by M.K. (new)

M.K. (MKStelmack) | 17 comments You know, one of my favorite low-key romances is Shadowland, the story of C.S. Lewis and his late-in-life romance. Anthony Hopkins and I believe, Emma Thompson.

message 238: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Moira wrote: "You know, one of my favorite low-key romances is Shadowland, the story of C.S. Lewis and his late-in-life romance. Anthony Hopkins and I believe, Emma Thompson."

Hi Moira! I remember that one too. It was very good!

message 239: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Caswell | 3 comments Emery wrote: "Moira wrote: "You know, one of my favorite low-key romances is Shadowland, the story of C.S. Lewis and his late-in-life romance. Anthony Hopkins and I believe, Emma Thompson."

It was Anthony Hopkins and Debra Winger. It happens to be one of my favorites as well.

message 240: by M.K. (new)

M.K. (MKStelmack) | 17 comments Thanks for the correction, Amanda! I think it's because Emma appears in so many of my faves.

message 241: by Alexandria (new)

Alexandria Brim (AllieBrim) | 12 comments So many good movies on this list! I think I'd also have to add "The Secret Garden" (1993) and "A Midsummer Night's Dream" (1999). Though I noticed since the success of the later film, most productions of that Shakespeare classic tend to set it in a Victorian era.

As for TV, I greatly enjoyed the John Adams miniseries. Every little detail was looked at to make sure it matched the period. Also, growing up, I used to watch a show called "Hawkeye," based on James Fenimore Cooper's The Leatherstocking Tales, starring Lynda Carter.

message 242: by Suzan (new)

Suzan Tisdale (suzantisdale) | 20 comments Secret Garden, the 90's version
Braveheart
Gone With the Wind
North & South

message 243: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Alexandria wrote: "So many good movies on this list! I think I'd also have to add "The Secret Garden" (1993) and "A Midsummer Night's Dream" (1999). Though I noticed since the success of the later film, most producti..."

Hi Alexandria- I don't even remember the Hawkeye series. I'll have to see if there's anything about it on Youtube!

message 244: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (last edited Apr 21, 2012 10:08AM) (new)

Found it! WOW! How did I miss this? Looks like it only lasted one season.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46RRc_...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GK57oL...

message 245: by Larisa (new)

Larisa (MsGodiva1) | 28 comments Emery - Right there with you!! Mother had a *huge* crush on Lee Horsley, dad on Lynda Carter, so two sources that would've babbled about it! Wonder if it was the US response to the BBC Sharpe's series that wouldn't reach our shores for quite a while? aka costume drama set in historical war setting with cult-following leads?

message 246: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Vane (VictoriaVane) | 54 comments Larisa wrote: "Emery - Right there with you!! Mother had a *huge* crush on Lee Horsley, dad on Lynda Carter, so two sources that would've babbled about it! Wonder if it was the US response to the BBC Sharpe's ser..."

Perhaps they wished to dovetail on the success of LAST OF THE MOHICANS? I didn't think to compare production dates but it seems close. I'll have to keep an eye out to see if they release this on DVD.

message 247: by Alexandria (last edited Apr 21, 2012 07:09PM) (new)

Alexandria Brim (AllieBrim) | 12 comments Emery wrote: "Found it! WOW! How did I miss this? Looks like it only lasted one season.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46RRc_...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GK57oL..."

Currently replying on my phone but I'm glad there are some videos. I thought it lasted longer but I was 9 when it aired and thought everything lasted an eternity. My parents let me watch it because it was educational. I remember my teacher being impressed I watched it.

I went to bed and realized I forgot a movie The Artist! I loved the attention to detail for the late 20s early 30s feel.

message 248: by Rebecca (last edited Apr 22, 2012 12:04AM) (new)

Rebecca | 1 comments Hi All:

I would like to add CAPTAINS AND KINGS which is based on a novel written by Taylor Caldwell.

THE ARISTOCRATS based on a book written by Stella Tillyard.

THE BUCCANEERS based on an unfinished Edith Wharton
novel.

WIVES AND DAUGHTERS based on an unfinished Elizabeth Gaskell novel.

Of course there is CRANFORD and BERKELEY SQUARE which are great too.

Oh yeah there is also CENTENNIAL based on James A. Michener's book.

The BLUE AND THE GREY.

And THE AWAKENING LAND based on Conrad Richter's trilogy of novels.

One more....lol....BEULAH LAND which is based on Lonnie Coleman's novels.

They all were really great viewing in my opinion! I recommend all of them!

I own some of these and a few I got from Netflix.

In my opinion they are worth watching!

message 249: by ~Leslie~ (new)

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) What wonderful lists!! I have recently become obsesses with Downton Abbey and watched both seasons. For those who don't know, most BBC episodes of these wonderful period dramas are available for instant play on Netflix and probably Amazon as well.
Some other favorites that haven't been mentioned
Emma
Bright Star
Horatio Hornblower mini series
King Arthur with Clive Owen (drool worthy picture!)
A Lion in Winter (best ever!)
Jane Eyre (the newest one with Michael Fassbender - OMG)
Last of the Mohicans (gasp)

There are so many others, but this is what comes to mind. But I also need to mention
Les Miserables with Hugh Jackman and Russell Crowe that comes out in December. Hugh Jackman has the most beautiful voice. If you don't know this, search for Oklahoma! that he performed on Broadway. He makes a great Curly.

message 250: by Alexandria (new)

Alexandria Brim (AllieBrim) | 12 comments Leslie wrote: "There are so many others, but this is what comes to mind. But I also need to mention
Les Miserables with Hugh Jackman and Russell Crowe that comes out in December. Hugh Jackman has the most beautiful voice. If you don't know this, search for Oklahoma! that he performed on Broadway. He makes a great Curly."

I do not doubt Jackman's talent--he's shown off that he's fully capable of between hosting 3 Tony Award shows and the Oscars. And most of the cast has me equally excited--Anne Hathaway as Fantine, Sasha Baron Cohen as Thenadier, Helena Bonham Carter as Mme. Thenadier, Amanda Seyfried as Cosette, and Samantha Barks as Eponine. It's Russell Crowe I'm not too thrilled about. I don't know if he can handle Javert's songs.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Inheritance (other topics)
The Buccaneers (other topics)
Restoration (other topics)
The King's Courtesan (other topics)
Romancing Olive (other topics)
More...