Barnes & Noble Nook discussion

Nook - The Technical Side > font size varies from book to book?

Comments (showing 1-15 of 15) (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by willaful, dedicated nookworm (new)

willaful | 400 comments Mod
I just read a nook book that had the tiniest type. I changed it to extra-extra-large and it still seemed on the small size to me.

Moved on to another book, for which extra-extra-large was huge, as one would expect.

I didn't realize it would vary like that. I hope many books aren't published with the teeny-tiny-eyestraino-vision type. Being able to make the font large was a huge selling point for me.

Crystal Sloan (crystal_sloan) | 34 comments I've noticed that as well. I guess each file is different. I wonder if B&N will be enforcing standardized files from publishers in the future.

Carrie (Care) (Care76) That is weird, most of mine are pretty much identical. The only time there is a big change is if the book is a pdf. I haven't had to change my font in months (and I probably read 40 or 50 books in that time).

Bree (simplyparticular) You were probably either:

reading a non-reflowed PDF

or

the publisher specified the font/size used in the ePub file, so the Nook can't override it with its own settings.

Unfortunately, #2 is getting more and more common as publishers tweak the ePub settings on their books.

message 5: by willaful, dedicated nookworm (new)

willaful | 400 comments Mod
I'm pretty sure it was a loaned book so presumably came from B&N originally -- so probably option #2.

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 340 comments I noticed it too. I like to read all of mine in small font. And some small are a lot smaller than other smalls.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I've noticed this with a few of my books. At one point I was reading two different books on the Nook and one I had to read on small (medium was annoyingly large), but then when I would switch to the other book the small type was a little too small for my liking and I would have to switch back to medium.

Every book I've read on my Nook so far has been purchased from B&N, but the font size seems different on a lot of them. Not enough to really bother me, only just slightly annoying when I'm reading more than one book at a time.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

I have found the same thing .... I am reading a book right now on my nook and have to use a magnifying glass to see the print.This is the first book that I have had that was too small print to read with just my glasses. I put it on extra extra large but it is smaller than any paperback book I have. Grrrrrrr

message 9: by Raggedyann (last edited Jan 04, 2011 07:22PM) (new)

Raggedyann | 61 comments B&N has completely mucked up their software, on their Nook device and applications for iPad, iPhone and android. There were over 2,000 complaints on iTunes, which iTunes removed last night. I have two new books that I cannot download. B&N's response when I called was no technical help and no refunds.

The applications can't connect to B&N to download new books or sync. Fonts are missing from Nook and apps. Resizing of fonts is missing from Nook and apps.

Good luck with reading the tiny print. It isn't something you did wrong. It's B&N, not you or your device.

Until they figure out what they mucked up, I will be buying my 4 weekly books from Amazon. Maybe after that as well.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I am sorry to hear you are having trouble too. It seems they just don't care or this is just so new that there a lot of things that have to be worked through. That is why I haven't gotten the nook color yet. And If I was too I want to make sure which reader I should get. Which one is the best.

Victoria | 23 comments I have had my Nook for about 6mo's and have had GREAT service (had one replaced) and no problems with software. I love my Nook and like Barnes and Noble with me thay have stood by there products Books and Nooks.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

well in november there was a thing where they gave you a 10 gift card in november I got two. I put them on my account which already had a 100 gift card on it.
I put the 10 gift cards on... thinking it would use the card that was on there first........ not it tried to use the 10 card which was not available yet....... I never got the 7 books I bought.... they canceled them.... and I can not buy them back because on my nook it says they are there but are not......I have called and talked to 3 different people. Then I wrote them on an email. Soooo nothing has been resolved. But I am not angry.... I am just waiting. I am sure it will get resolved eventually. I am glad I have a lot of books stored on there. But you know when you find one you just got to read and you can't it makes ya crazy...... well me anyway....

Victoria | 23 comments WOW I'm sorry about your problems any time I have had a problem B&N has been great about helping.
Have you called to see if you can change payment and use one of the other gift cards? I had my wallet stolen and had to cancel credit cards and that caused a prob with payment on a book so I called and had the book put on a gift card and had the book within about 30 min.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

They were very nice..... but the problem still isn't fixed. Well its half fixed. But I can't by them again.

Mary | 7 comments As Bree mentioned the PUBLISHER sets the font size on some books - in that case you can't change font size, usually a PDF file. It is not B&N fault. The NOOK can't override the Publisher settings. It would be the same way on the Kindle.

unread topics | mark unread