Q&A with Josh Lanyon discussion

482 views
Story Discussions > The Holmes & Moriarity series

Comments (showing 1-50 of 836) (836 new)    post a comment »

Josh (JoshLanyon) | 14088 comments To prepare for the release of ALL SHE WROTE -- and to find a way to give a couple of advance copies -- I thought we could do a discussion. Everyone who takes part will be added to a pool and then two names will be randomly selected on Christmas Eve for a copy of ALL SHE WROTE.


Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions  (Vapidbubbles) I am really excited for All She Wrote (Holmes & Moriarity #2) by Josh Lanyon I like the cover

What did you want us to discuss?


Samantha (samanthadelayed) | 1 comments I am excited for it too. I loved Somebody Killed His Editor. I really like that cozy mystery feel to my mystery novels.


Josh (JoshLanyon) | 14088 comments If someone wants to be the discussion leader, that would be great. Otherwise, I'll just dig up some basic book group discussion questions and throw 'em out there.

I've always found that reading the previous book in a series ups my enjoyment of the next book.


Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions  (Vapidbubbles) I already posted my thoughts on Somebody Killed His Editoron a different thread of yours so I will try not to repeat myself. Those were mostly about Kit and needing to read it twice to like Kit. I can’t remember names now but I really liked the supporting female characters. They were fun

I really hope Kit is not a douche in the new book. Just reading the blurb I already feel bad for JX.


Mary (mary-soto) | 37 comments I love how Josh portrays his characters and the relationships between them. The road to their happiness is not always easy or perfect, and it appears by the blurb that Kit and J.X. are in for an emotional bumpy ride on All She Wrote. The warning at the bottom of the blurb just cracked me up. I'm really looking forward to it. :D


Jan | 101 comments I thought that the need to read the book twice was one of it's strengths, there is so much in it that it will stand multiple readings without becoming stale. Before I comment properly I'm going to read it again!


Jaime | 3 comments So All she Wrote is Book two an dSomeody Killed his Editor is book one? Just so I know what to go looking for. Thanks, jaime


Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions  (Vapidbubbles) Yes Jaime that is correct


Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions  (Vapidbubbles) I have read a lot of Josh's books multiple times. This is the only one where I didn't care for the M/C until the second time reading it. The second time he had grown on me and I liked him a lot more and made me enjoy the story more the second time. I am already planning to read All She Wrote twice before I comment on it just to make sure I am fair to Kit


Lissa (parisbvamp) Bubbles I was the same way with this one. Kit really annoyed me on the first read. But I liked him better the second time through. I'm looking forward to this one though cause I am hoping he'll do some more personal growing. I really hope JX gives him a good kick. Kit's low self esteem has a lot to do with it. The excerpt was a good teaser. I want to know how JX gets in the picture. Totally can't wait.


Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions  (Vapidbubbles) Lissa I am glad I wasn't the only one to not get Kit the first time through.

I really liked the setting in the first one, being stuck/trapped at the writer’s convention with such interesting characters and their relationships with each other

I am hoping the snow bound mansion setting allows for the same character dynamic.
Should be entertaining at the least “six amateur sleuths underfoot. Six budding writers with a tangled web of dark undercurrents running among them.”


Josh (JoshLanyon) | 14088 comments Reader Guide questions for Somebody Killed His Editor

1) It’s common in cozy and amateur sleuth mysteries for the main character to have a job far removed from law enforcement. The “hero” of this series, Christopher Holmes, is a mystery writer. Does it matter to you whether the series premise is realistic or not? What makes a series like this fun to read?

2) J.X. Moriarity starts out the book with a grudge against Kit. Did you feel his resentment was legitimate? Did you accept Kit’s explanation for his past behavior?

3) Which events in the story stand out for you as particularly memorable or humorous?

4) Discuss the pace of the book and the style. Did the pace fit this comic, light-hearted novel? Was the language appropriate to the story and genre?

5) The characters in the book love to talk. Was the dialogue realistic?
Did each character have a distinct voice?

6) As is typical of Josh Lanyon characters, Kit’s agent Rachel Ving has made some serious mistakes in the past. What mistakes do you find difficult to forgive fictional characters? Do you find your literary biases reflect your real life feelings or are you more open-minded when it comes to fiction?

7) By the end of the book Kit and J.X. seem to have put their past differences behind them and are romantically involved. Was this development realistic? Do you think Kit and J.X. make a believable romantic and sleuthing partnership?

8) At what point did you figure out who the villain was? Do you feel
the author “played fair” with the reader?

9) A number of readers have expressed problems with Kit’s character on the first reading of Somebody Killed His Editor. How, in your opinion, does Kit vary from other Josh Lanyon characters? What qualities do you look for in a main character? If you disliked Kit on the first reading, what made you go back and give the book a second try?


Lissa (parisbvamp) Josh - when do you want all the answers by? I will have to go reread again to get specifics.


Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions  (Vapidbubbles) i know Lissa i have read it twice and I can't remember enough names and details to repsond with anything worth saying


Thomas (thomasfg30) I liked the first book in this series a lot. Will this be a full novel, or a novella?

I have always gravitated to your books Josh. I started reading M/M themed books a few years back, and the first series I fell in love with was the Adrien English series.

I loved that the main characters could be gay. And not some stereotype that never fails to kill the mood either!

I look forward to many more in this upcoming series.


Josh (JoshLanyon) | 14088 comments Lissa wrote: "Josh - when do you want all the answers by? I will have to go reread again to get specifics."

Lissa, this is strictly for fun. If you have any thoughts on any of this, feel free to answer. Otherwise don't worry about it.

It's mostly the stuff you wonder about as a writer -- especially those of you who found Kit irritating. I wonder why you gave the book a second chance.


Josh (JoshLanyon) | 14088 comments Bubbles (Dane) wrote: "i know Lissa i have read it twice and I can't remember enough names and details to repsond with anything worth saying"

If nothing occurs to you, Dane, don't give it a thought. I threw some questions out to give a possible discussion structure. Like you say, you've already given your feelings on the book in another thread.


Josh (JoshLanyon) | 14088 comments Thomas wrote: "I liked the first book in this series a lot. Will this be a full novel, or a novella?

I have always gravitated to your books Josh. I started reading M/M themed books a few years back, and the firs..."


Thomas, I think it's about the same length as the first book -- a novel. Not a huge novel, but definitely a novel.

Thanks for those kind words, by the way. Very glad you're enjoying the characters and stories.


Josh (JoshLanyon) | 14088 comments Samantha wrote: "I am excited for it too. I loved Somebody Killed His Editor. I really like that cozy mystery feel to my mystery novels."

Thanks, Samantha. Yes, this is your basic cozy mystery -- with a lot more sex than typical.


Josh (JoshLanyon) | 14088 comments Bubbles (Dane) wrote: "I am really excited for All She Wrote (Holmes & Moriarity #2) by Josh Lanyon I like the cover

What did you want us to discuss?"


So glad you like that cover, Dane. It was the third attempt to find the right cover for the book. Third time's the charm!


Josh (JoshLanyon) | 14088 comments Mary wrote: "I love how Josh portrays his characters and the relationships between them. The road to their happiness is not always easy or perfect, and it appears by the blurb that Kit and J.X. are in for an em..."

Thanks, Mary. I know not everyone likes conflict in their romances, but technically there's no story if there's no conflict. So it could be tidy little mystery, but I think this way it ups the emotional ante for the subplot to be how JX and Kit learn to be a real couple.


Josh (JoshLanyon) | 14088 comments Jan wrote: "I thought that the need to read the book twice was one of it's strengths, there is so much in it that it will stand multiple readings without becoming stale. Before I comment properly I'm going to..."

I'm always flattered that readers want to give the books multiple readings. In this case it seems like some people did a second read because they didn't enjoy the first, which is different! But at least they decided to give the book another shot, which makes me happy.


Patty | 137 comments I'm wondering if some readers aversion to Kit is age-related? As an older reader who has experienced some of the same life-experiences as Kit, I like him a lot. I sympathize, and empathize, with his fear of commitment following a self-destructive relationship. I also understand how he uses humor as a cover for his insecurities. I don't view the fact that he continuously pushes JX away as a character flaw; I feel it's just where he is in his life.

The fact that Josh can crawl into his skin and write this in the first-person is a great skill.


Thomas (thomasfg30) Josh wrote: "Thomas wrote: "I liked the first book in this series a lot. Will this be a full novel, or a novella?

I have always gravitated to your books Josh. I started reading M/M themed books a few years b..."


A ? For you Josh.
Did you base Adrien's character on anyone? Yourself perhaps?

I know we've never met you and I don't have a single thing to base it on, but I always imagined Adrien was Josh Lanyon. Or you, that is.

Is that weird? Probably I'm sorry.

Is that too personal a question? If so just ignore it.
Thanks for the response. I look forward to Murder She Wrote.


Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions  (Vapidbubbles) I read it twice because I liked the overall story and liked all the supporting characters. The only thing I didn’t like the first time was Kit. I was really surprised when I read it the second time and I really liked him. It is hard for me to go back into my own head the first time I read it and know why I didn’t care for kit or what it was the second time that made him grow on me.

It might be that during the first read I was really wrapped up in the mystery and ignored Kit as a character and focused on him as being my link to solving the mystery. Then the second time reading I just kind of went with it and understood Kit better as a character. I don’t think it has anything to do with his age because I usually ignore those details and authors descriptions of characters because they are always different in my head. Hope that doesn’t offend you as a writer.

I am really tired and not sure if that makes sense to anyone but me.

This is JX in my head
description

And Kit
description

If the Images are too much for anyone I will remove them ASAP if you let me know


message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

I was very excited to learn (from your interview) that "Holmes&Moriariry" is going to be a long running series. I'm really looking forward to it.

I liked Kit instantly. I like that he's older than your usual gay fiction protagonist, I like his self-deprecating sense of humor, he cracks me up.

3)Which events in the story stand out for you as particularly memorable or humorous? It would be when Kit grabs J.X.'s collar and drags him into the cabin after saying "good night". It was cute and unexpected. I laughed a lot through the book though.

8) At what point did you figure out who the villain was? Do you feel
the author “played fair” with the reader?
I could not figure the culprit till the very end, but I have to admit, I didn't really try - I paid more attention to the interaction between the characters :)


message 28: by Oco (last edited Dec 19, 2010 11:20AM) (new)

Oco (Ocotillo) | 211 comments I'm surprised to hear that some didn't like Kit. I thought he was brilliant. I liked his character more than JX, in fact. Not talking about skill in creating characters, btw, just, which of them would I rather know as a friend. And it's Kit, hands down. JX is one of those (to my mind) overconfident, always right, has it all together and altogether too earnest sort of people...I don't connect. Kit was funny. Screwed up, yeah, but he knows it, and aims plenty of fire at himself.

What Patty said, too. Don't know what age of reader has to do with it, but I am on the older side, if you want a data point. ;)

Josh, I'm one of those who've asked when the sequel to this was coming, so it is one of my favorite of your stories. And it was largely Kit's humor and all-around oddness that made the story for me -- count me as one of those who don't really get people's aversion to him.

Looking forward to MSW. :)


Emanuela ~plastic duck~ (manutwo) | 1855 comments What I really liked in this book is that it felt a classic. I liked meeting the different characters and finding out what they had against the victim and I liked the way it ended, because the majority of the people in the story are mystery writers and it was like they were given a taste of their medicine.

Kit and JX's past encounter and their re-union was a bonus and I think the story would have worked even without their romantic partnership (the sleuthing part was sufficient). I don't mean that I wasn't happy with the romance, no no no no, I am a romance reader, but the setting and the mystery was solid.

My favorite part of the book was when Kit nearly had a fit when he found out JX was missing. And when he was locked in his room trying cosmetic products. And when he was devising new literary plots with his agent. I liked it a lot.

JX was a little too perfect for my tastes, but we're seeing him through Kit's eyes, I don't think we get an unbiased opinion.

I didn't really buy Kit's explanation for his past behavior. Why did he forgive his previous lover? I think there were the seeds of doubt in him when he decided to commit himself to the guy (sorry I don't remember his name). It was like Kit had seen there was something good in JX, but he had decided to quench his feelings and continue his previous relationship nonetheless. What prompted this decision? A sense of loyalty? The fact that JX was too high a risk, while his previous lover was a "known" risk? I think it would be important to know to see how much Kit has changed since then. If he has changed, that is.


Thomas (thomasfg30) I'm ALWAYS the last person to figure out who's the villain and who's the nice guy.

With that said, I didn't know what was REALLY going on until the end. And I LOVED the kiss at the end!


Samantha King-gee (alonetogether) | 30 comments I love Kit! I love the fact he's a little not all together, not everyone has to have the confidence of a superhero, lord knows most of us don't. Who dosn't have an issue with how they look, that someone is better than them or that they're about to loose something they love? Plus, I love his personality. He's quirky and sarcastic and the scene where he's covered in a mud mask scaring the pants off the old lady makes me laugh, every time.

He's a good match to the Serious eye rolling J.X. And ok, it seems like he keeps J.X at an arms length, but it makes the story more interesting, the battle for love! Because you KNOW Kit has it going on for him. (Also I love that J.X is the only know who calls him Kit. Its kinda Adorable.)

Not everyone is perfect, thats why Kit is. He's such an individual character. I love that.


thelastaerie | 390 comments I don't know, if you just got out of a bad relationship, your publisher is about to drop you, your agent keeps reminding you your work is out of touch, who wouldn't be a bit low on self-esteem? I actually think Kit reacted very positively in his own way, and he doesn't question his talent, he's just confused what the world has become... err... back to the age thing, if you are over 40 - it's easy to relate to such feeling! Jonas and Miley Cyrus scare the hell out of me, for example ;). And I think Kit is one of those who is puzzled by Twilight... *g*

I'm rereading book 1 too, something I always like to do before a new one comes out. I am surprised I still find some LOL moments that I missed before.


message 33: by Patty (last edited Dec 19, 2010 03:35PM) (new)

Patty | 137 comments Ocotillo wrote: "Don't know what age of reader has to do with it..."

I think in some cases- not all, obviously- older readers share some of Kit's life experiences and so it may be that we connect to Kit more easily. He doesn't make me crazy because I have a sense of, "Oh, yes, I know exactly how he feels!"

I didn't really buy Kit's explanation for his past behavior. Why did he forgive his previous lover?

For the same reason that women and men in abusive relationships stay with their partners in real life. There is a co-dependency factor and a hope that the person will change. After a while, after being beaten down for so long, it takes so much energy to make a change, it's just easier to stay and make excuses. People in this kind of relationship need a serious life-changing event to move them past the inertia of the situation. Kit experienced that when his partner traded up for a younger model.

This certainly didn't help Kit's feeling of self-worth. He gave up the possibility of a relationship with JX, one that saved his life, for one that didn't last. He's at a point in his life where he has some very real regrets. It will take him some time to come to terms with that, in spite of the fact that he knows JX cares for him as he does for JX.


Oco (Ocotillo) | 211 comments Patty, I used that throw-away phrase carelessly - I did know what you meant, and don't entirely disagree -- perhaps it should've read 'not sure what age...", I guess my unsureness comes partly because I've always been this way, 'getting' on some level, and empathizing with the imperfect people better than the ones who see things more squarely. I also meet young people occasionally who stun me with their perceptiveness, so I'm always a little gun-shy of generalizations.

Having given that caveat, I do think that we tend to read characters more sympathetically the older we get.

Speaking of perceptiveness, though, I enjoy reading your take on Kit. :) Maybe I *will* go back and re-read this.

Sorry Josh, I'm being a pill at answering questions.
I thought this one was interesting though: What mistakes do you find difficult to forgive fictional characters? I feel as if I operate in a sort of inverse relationship (remember your college algebra?) What I mean is, my favorite novels are often the ones that have me forgiving pretty unforgiveable mistakes. It's the characters who never make mistakes, or who sail through life thinking they make none, that I can't abide. I'd almost say that as long as the character seeks forgiveness/seeks to change, the bigger and badder the mistake, the more I want to forgive it.


Patty | 137 comments Ocotillo wrote: "Patty, I used that throw-away phrase carelessly - I did know what you meant, and don't entirely disagree -- perhaps it should've read 'not sure what age...", I guess my unsureness comes partly beca..."

I understand what you're saying, too, which is why I also amended to say in some cases, older readers have had similar experiences. Young people can be very perceptive, I agree.

In Kit's situation, that of staying with his partner (even though all his friends ask him if he finally left),I see too many cases of similar family dynamics in my job. Everyone around a person can see that a relationship is bad except for the person in the middle of it. The end result is often depression and that definitely results in an inability to make healthy decisions or leave the house, meet with people socially and a general lack of energy. Having said that, I'm probably reading too much into his character, but I think it generally explains some of his motivation. His humor is interesting to follow while he works through his issues.

I wonder if he has always been funny or if that has changed over the course of his life; has he always used humor as a shield?


Murphy (Orchideyes) | 132 comments Josh wrote: "To prepare for the release of ALL SHE WROTE -- and to find a way to give a couple of advance copies -- I thought we could do a discussion. Everyone who takes part will be added to a pool and then t..."

Josh wrote: "To prepare for the release of ALL SHE WROTE -- and to find a way to give a couple of advance copies -- I thought we could do a discussion. Everyone who takes part will be added to a pool and then t..."

Josh wrote: "To prepare for the release of ALL SHE WROTE -- and to find a way to give a couple of advance copies -- I thought we could do a discussion. Everyone who takes part will be added to a pool and then t..."

Reader Guide questions for Somebody Killed His Editor

1) It’s common in cozy and amateur sleuth mysteries for the main character to have a job far removed from law enforcement. The “hero” of this series, Christopher Holmes, is a mystery writer. Does it matter to you whether the series premise is realistic or not? What makes a series like this fun to read?

Since I hated conferences when I worked, I could totally empathize with his feelings about the conference. I thought the premise was realistic enough. It was fun to hear somebody not 20 something complain about a lot of the things my friends and I complained about in our forties!

2) J.X. Moriarity starts out the book with a grudge against Kit. Did you feel his resentment was legitimate? Did you accept Kit’s explanation for his past behavior?

Yes I thought his resentment was thoroughly legitimate. I thought he was nicer than I would have been. Maybe he had come to believe that forgiveness was good for him. I would have had a problem with not at least sending an email saying that he couldn’t see him anymore. I thought JX should have made him a pay a little more for that, however, when you are hot for someone you usually make excuses or buy their excuses because you want them!

3) Which events in the story stand out for you as particularly memorable or humorous?

I loved the initial bridge scene leading to finding the dead body, Rachel’s nuttiness about getting her author to come up with a new series about the demon. I don’t know, the funny comments that were realistic when you are scared and frustrated.

4) Discuss the pace of the book and the style. Did the pace fit this comic, light-hearted novel? Was the language appropriate to the story and genre?

I thought the pace was good. I was also very glad that the editor bought it as well as Peaches. He seemed to be a real life demon. I thought the language was appropriate.

5) The characters in the book love to talk. Was the dialogue realistic?
Did each character have a distinct voice?

I think most people like to talk and I could definitely distinguish between each character which is something I sometimes have trouble with.

6) As is typical of Josh Lanyon characters, Kit’s agent Rachel Ving has made some serious mistakes in the past. What mistakes do you find difficult to forgive fictional characters? Do you find your literary biases reflect your real life feelings or are you more open-minded when it comes to fiction?

I thought that the only mistake that was really hard to forgive was letting Peaches see her client’s book, especially when she was the professional agent. I think as a writer I might have a lot of trouble with that. I have trouble with betrayals in fiction as well as in real life. I think that is the only thing that I would really have a hard time with. Everybody makes mistakes when they are young, but betraying your friends for your libido is kind of hard to swallow.

7) By the end of the book Kit and J.X. seem to have put their past differences behind them and are romantically involved. Was this development realistic? Do you think Kit and J.X. make a believable romantic and sleuthing partnership?

Like I said above, when you are really hot for someone, it is really easy to buy their excuses. Kit’s fearfulness is not unusual. I have friends who stayed married to guys they stopped loving years ago. Being alone and starting over is scary. I am hoping JX helps him to get past some of the fear in the next book, but the older we get, we get scared of making another mistake. It was fun seeing them relate to each other. I am looking forward to seeing how they do in the next book.

8) At what point did you figure out who the villain was? Do you feel
the author “played fair” with the reader?

Well, I guess I didn’t realize for sure that it was the owner until JX was found in the basement. I thought that was fair.

9) A number of readers have expressed problems with Kit’s character on the first reading of Somebody Killed His Editor. How, in your opinion, does Kit vary from other Josh Lanyon characters? What qualities do you look for in a main character? If you disliked Kit on the first reading, what made you go back and give the book a second try?

I kind of like the kind that complain a lot. Vic in JC Price’s Psychcop is a complainer. I think it is funny and realistic. We all have moments when we complain and fuss. It is funny later.


Emanuela ~plastic duck~ (manutwo) | 1855 comments Patty wrote: "For the same reason that women and men in abusive relationships stay with their partners in real life. There is a co-dependency factor and a hope that the person will change."

I think you're right, I wasn't able to see it in this light.

I wonder if he has always been funny or if that has changed over the course of his life; has he always used humor as a shield?

That's another interesting observation. I think that people who can humor over themselves are able to see themselves from a distance, they are usually more objective. It's like they know their limits and state them before someone can do it for them (and that's probably a shield). It seems over-confident, but it could also seen as a sign of someone with low self-esteem.


Leah (PurpleLiterati) | 48 comments It's funny, I kind of felt like it was J.X. who was pushing away from Kit, and not the other way around. I absolutely love the fact that Christopher has some insecurity issues regarding age and how that plays out in his career as a writer.

The funny moment for me was when Christopher and Rachel were "brainstorming" for his new book. Like Christopher, I don't "get" Chick Lit either. I loved the comment about the "shoes". It was a humorous way to show Christopher's struggle with both his chronological age and the aging, if you will, of his book series. I do like the way Josh inserts humor in a book where there is a struggle with life issues (I think a lot about Adrien's heart condition, or Perry's asthma), I think it really brings us into the MC's head - this is especially important with a first person POV.

Also, I didn't have any problem liking Christopher. I think he represents a lot of insecurities I have myself about age and trying to re-enter the work force. It's daunting, and you find out things have to change - the way you dress, wear your hair, what format you use for a resume, etc. Maybe that's why he didn't annoy me, because I related so closely to him.

I love the way Josh rights in first person. I mentioned above about the importance of getting us into the head of the MC, but only a truly gifted writer can get their audience into the head of the secondary character (or love interest in this case) while in FP POV. I had a problem with other VERY popular, "mainstream" books in the past that were written in FP POV, where I really "got" the MC, but the love interest was a complete mystery almost. I almost wanted the author to write a supplement to the books letting me know what he was thinking, where was he when he wasn't "in the picture", why did he do this/that/the other thing? With Josh's books I have yet to encounter that problem, which I am supremely thankful for!

Thanks for listening everyone! Good comments.


Lori (fuzzipueo) | 152 comments 1) It’s common in cozy and amateur sleuth mysteries for the main character to have a job far removed from law enforcement... Does it matter to you whether the series premise is realistic or not? What makes a series like this fun to read?

---Half the fun of reading these types of series is that the characters are not police or detectives. They get themselves entangled as much by accident as their own determination to snoop. The other half of the fun is watching the characters get themselves back out of trouble. And who they meet along the way.
==
3) Which events in the story stand out for you as particularly memorable or humorous?

---When Kit finds the editor with the axe in his back. Highly appropriate ending for that guy (his name escapes me) I thought, though I felt bad that Kit gets blamed.

The scene where Rachel and Kit worked on coming up with a new series plot in an attempt to get Kit back into the market had me rolling my eyes with a mixture of humor and horror. I like fantasy but even that plot had me going: no way! LOL
==
7) By the end of the book Kit and J.X. seem to have put their past differences behind them and are romantically involved. Was this development realistic? Do you think Kit and J.X. make a believable romantic and sleuthing partnership?

---Yes.
==
9) A number of readers have expressed problems with Kit’s character on the first reading of Somebody Killed His Editor. How, in your opinion, does Kit vary from other Josh Lanyon characters? What qualities do you look for in a main character? If you disliked Kit on the first reading, what made you go back and give the book a second try?

---I found I empathized with Kit in many ways - his age, lack of confidence, the sadness at the possible loss of his career (and change in life circumstances) - he does tend to take things a little too personally I think, but I know a few people who do the exact same thing.

To be honest, I found Rachel downright annoying, though I know she was trying to help Kit. However, no matter how much one throws into a makeover (new clothes/haircut/etc.), it's what's within that matters, and Kit is Kit. I like Kit the way he is. What made more sense to me were the suggestions from J.X. and others to write about something he knows more about (though I understood his confusion and frustration at their seeming lack of understanding about his lady detective).


Josh (JoshLanyon) | 14088 comments Patty wrote: "I'm wondering if some readers aversion to Kit is age-related? As an older reader who has experienced some of the same life-experiences as Kit, I like him a lot. I sympathize, and empathize, with hi..."

Patty, I think it is the case with some readers -- they simply can't identify (yet). I know it's not true for everyone who didn't enjoy the book, of course, but there's a reason there aren't a slew of forty year old protags in this genre.


Josh (JoshLanyon) | 14088 comments Thomas wrote: "A ? For you Josh.
Did you base Adrien's character on anyone? Yourself perhaps?


There is certainly some of me in all my characters, and I'd say Adrien is closest to my own natural "voice," but Adrien is definitely fiction. (I try not to say that too loud.) ;-D

I know we've never met you and I don't have a single thing to base it on, but I always imagined Adrien was Josh Lanyon. Or you, that is.

It might have something to do with the fact that the books are written in first person and that the Adrien voice is similiar to my natural narrative style.

Is that weird? Probably I'm sorry.

It used to be much more common before I tried harder to remind readers that Adrien is fiction and Josh Lanyon is a pen name.

Is that too personal a question? If so just ignore it.
Thanks for the response. I look forward to Murder She Wrote.


It's a fine line. I don't want to mess with anyone's suspension of disbelief, but I also don't want to mislead readers.

So glad you're enjoying the stories!


Josh (JoshLanyon) | 14088 comments Bubbles (Dane) wrote: "I read it twice because I liked the overall story and liked all the supporting characters. The only thing I didn’t like the first time was Kit. I was really surprised when I read it the second time..."

Wow. Those pictures. All I can say is it's so fascinating to get a glimpse of how readers view the characters -- this is why I'm always uneasy when cover art has faces because it does mess with your perception of the characters -- or it used to do mine. I'm better now at just looking at cover art as symbolic.


Josh (JoshLanyon) | 14088 comments Suhi wrote: "I could not figure the culprit till the very end, but I have to admit, I didn't really try - I paid more attention to the interaction between the characters :)"

Even though I write mysteries, Suhi, I'm rarely first and foremost interested in who dunnit when I read them. Motive is always the most interesting thing for me, and that's because it ties to character -- and character is what I enjoy.


Josh (JoshLanyon) | 14088 comments Ocotillo wrote: "I'm surprised to hear that some didn't like Kit. I thought he was brilliant. I liked his character more than JX, in fact. Not talking about skill in creating characters, btw, just, which of them wo..."

I have to say that reading this discussion is really interesting from a writing standpoint, and I almost wish I'd asked these questions before I wrote ASW. Not that anything would necessarily have changed, it's just...helpful getting these observations both of what readers liked and didn't like because they're coming from readers who know and generally like my work.


Josh (JoshLanyon) | 14088 comments Thomas wrote: "I'm ALWAYS the last person to figure out who's the villain and who's the nice guy.

With that said, I didn't know what was REALLY going on until the end. And I LOVED the kiss at the end!"


:-D


Josh (JoshLanyon) | 14088 comments Samantha wrote: "I love Kit! I love the fact he's a little not all together, not everyone has to have the confidence of a superhero, lord knows most of us don't. Who dosn't have an issue with how they look, that so..."

Samantha, one thing I do really like about Kit -- I think it might be one thing that makes some people uncomfortable -- is that he does have to fight his feelings of envy and insecurity. That really is a difficult thing -- even between friends, let alone lovers. And to go from being very successful to less successful...I've seen it happen to a lot of people. Often they come back, often they don't -- usually if they come back it has to do with attitude and an ability to reinvent themselves.


Josh (JoshLanyon) | 14088 comments Thelastaerie wrote: "I don't know, if you just got out of a bad relationship, your publisher is about to drop you, your agent keeps reminding you your work is out of touch, who wouldn't be a bit low on self-esteem? I ..."

I can relate just listening to my nieces and nephews. It seems like only yesterday I was the cool, cutting edge one and now...they're talking about stuff I don't even understand! ;-D


Josh (JoshLanyon) | 14088 comments Patty wrote: "it's just easier to stay and make excuses. "

Especially if you are obsessed with your career -- which Kit has been. He poured everything into his writing career, trading off success for a satisfying emotional life.

And then he loses both at about the same point. It is pretty traumatic -- and not something a twenty-something reader is going to relate to, probably. Whereas I think Adrien's concerns were more easily identifed with.


Josh (JoshLanyon) | 14088 comments Ocotillo wrote: "I'd almost say that as long as the character seeks forgiveness/seeks to change, the bigger and badder the mistake, the more I want to forgive it."

I like that take on it.

As a writer sometimes you're successful "convincing" the reader to forgive a character, and sometimes you're not. Not every reader forgives Jake, for example.


Josh (JoshLanyon) | 14088 comments Ocotillo wrote: "Sorry Josh, I'm being a pill at answering questions.
"


No! Not at all. I'm not kidding when I say I find this fascinating.

It's probably better if I don't comment so that no one is inhibited in answering, but of course I enjoy discussing the characters too, so I find myself jumping in when I should probably just shut up and watch.


« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 17
back to top

unread topics | mark unread


Books mentioned in this topic

All She Wrote (other topics)
Somebody Killed His Editor (other topics)
Sort of Stranger than Fiction (other topics)
All She Wrote (other topics)
Don't Let Me Go (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

L.B. Gregg (other topics)