Young Adult Fiction for Adults discussion

Recommendations > Hero's Journey Titles for Middle School

Comments (showing 1-11 of 11) (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lee (new)

Lee | 3 comments I need a list of Hero's Journey books for sixth graders/ seventh graders.

By the way, would you consider The Last Dog On Earth as a Hero's Journey?

message 2: by Lee (new)

Lee | 3 comments So far I've gotten:

Harry Potter
Lightning Thief
Hunger Games
Walk Two Moons
Star Wars
The Ruins of Gorlan
Gregor the Overlander

any others?

message 3: by Cathy (new)

Cathy  (Cathygreytfriend) 39 Clues series
The Familiars
Gardians if Ga'Hoole series
Pandora series by Carolyn Hennesy
Alcatraz series by Brandon Sanderson
Eragon series
A Wrinkle in Time, A Swiftly Tilting Planet
The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe
Golden Compass series

message 4: by Becca (new)

Becca | 1608 comments The Pendragon series would be great for that age group. Starts with The Merchant of Death.

message 5: by Becca (new)

Becca | 1608 comments And why didn't I put this before? The Dark Is Rising Sequence (#1-5) by Susan Cooper is by far my favorite of the type you're looking for. Awesome series.

message 6: by Kristen (new)

Kristen  (yogamamareads) Even though he is an unlikely "hero": The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie He still goes through the journey.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 7191 comments Kristen wrote: "Even though he is an unlikely "hero": The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie He still goes through the journey."

Great pick!

message 8: by Kristen (new)

Kristen  (yogamamareads) I just WATCHED The Lightening Thief with my kids...it's so cold here on our Florida vacation that there is nothing better to do than rent videos from the resort...

I have GOT to read that series, now. Percy totally goes through the a textbook heroes' journey.

message 9: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (marcher08) Try Hatchet. One of my all time favorites. I think all boys should read this in middle school. Also, The Light in the Forest and The Sign of the Beaverare great.

message 10: by Derek (new)

Derek (DerekJCanyon) | 11 comments My novel, The Elemental Odyssey, involves four 12-year-olds abducted by magical aliens and forced to go on a heroic adventure around the world. In the process, they learn how to cooperate and use each other's strengths to fight the aliens.
The Elemental Odyssey (Tales of Zura) by Derek J. Canyon

message 11: by Janet (new)

Janet | 80 comments John Christopher's Tripod series - The White Mountains, The City of Gold and Lead, The Pool of Fire

Ursula Le Guin's The Earthsea Trilogy: A Wizard of Earthsea; The Tombs of Atuan; The Farthest Shore is a classic jr high appropriate hero's journey

Personally I think 6th/7th graders can handle David Eddings' Belgariad series Pawn of Prophecyetc. which is a classic hero's journey
and Tamora Pierce's Alanna series Alanna: The First Adventure etc (but there's sex mentioned, which might irritate some parents even though it's all fade to black)

a more modern hero's journey:Fury of the Phoenixand Silver Phoenix

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Merchant of Death (other topics)
The Dark is Rising Sequence (other topics)
The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian (other topics)
Hatchet (other topics)
The Light in the Forest (other topics)
More...