SciFi and Fantasy Book Club discussion

Comments (showing 101-150 of 380) (380 new)    post a comment »

James Clark | 8 comments They seem to have done a better job of developing some characters than others. I just hope we get to see Zoe grow to adulthood, she's one of the few that seems different at all from the first episode to now. Would love to see Jo, Fargo, or some other characters developed so I can actually care what happens to them. I love Henry, he is probably one of my favorite characters of any show I've watched regularly.
https://www.smashwords.com/books/view...

Jackie (thelastwolf) You're right about that, seems they developed Carter, Henry, Stark and Allison much more than others. I like Jo and want to see more of her off the job.

James Clark | 8 comments For sure. If the writers don't want to put much thought into who these people really are, then they should not make them major characters. Carter didn't necessarily need a side kick. They could have left her character out of the series, but since they decided to put her in they should give her more screen time. Right now she seems more like a token character than a real one.
https://www.smashwords.com/books/view...

The Flooze (the_flooze) | 125 comments Who's ready for tonight!

Cathy  (Cathygreytfriend) | 121 comments I am! The timer is set, I can't wait. Remember when summer meant only repeats and crummy old movies? I'm so glad cable networks have so many good shows in the summer now. Especially Eureka.

message 106: by Jim (new)

Jim (JimMacLachlan) Oh yeah! Thanks for the reminder. I checked the DVR & it is set to record it.

This is a 'kill' spot for a show, isn't it?

message 107: by Jon (new)

Jon (jonmoss) | 894 comments My DVR is set to record as well. But I probably won't watch it until tomorrow.

The Flooze (the_flooze) | 125 comments For sci fi, it's not really a kill slot. After all, Friday was the Doctor Who/BSG night!

I'm psyched. You're so right, Catherine. It's great to have something new to while away the lazy summer nights!

The Flooze (the_flooze) | 125 comments Oh, excuse me.

Syfy.

Ahem.

message 110: by Jim (new)

Jim (JimMacLachlan) Syfy!

Cathy  (Cathygreytfriend) | 121 comments Truly. It's getting them some temporary press but...

Jackie (thelastwolf) I refuse to use that new spelling, to me it will always be SciFi Channel, so don't bother correcting me, I know what it is, I'm just not acknowledging it, LOL (true SCIFI geek here and proud of it).

Friday's also had the StarGates. I don't care what day a program is on, if I like it, I'll follow it. The DVR makes it very simple, LOL

Eureka was fantastic as usual! I'm so happy it's back!
The robot was funny, refusing a direct order. He had a bad day in Eureka, LOL. Carter is perfect for the job, he fits in oddball Eureka.

The Flooze (the_flooze) | 125 comments This episode was HIGH-larious. No spoilers...when you watch it, these will make sense.

Entrance of new sheriff is super-creepy.

"You try making two whole people."

"Anything for you, Bob!" ::splat::

7% chance of survival...that's good odds--for Eureka.

And next week looks like a Jo-centric episode!

message 114: by Jason (last edited Jul 11, 2009 09:53AM) (new)

Jason Cooperrider (plasborgma) | 22 comments I enjoyed when Dr. Fielding said on last night's episode "Well, if being an accidental genius is a crime, then I guess I'm guilty." Does anyone here remember Friday Prime on the Scifi Channel, with such shows as Farscape and The Invisible Man? Those were the days.

Sharon (sistrwmn) | 18 comments For those of you that hate the new 'Syfy' check this out:

http://www.syfy.com/faq/

It calmed me down a lot about the new naming convention.

Sharon (sistrwmn) | 18 comments PS, Eureka rocks!!!! I don't have any type of recording devices so instead just watched it both times it aired. :P

Cathy  (Cathygreytfriend) | 121 comments Woo hoo, that was fun! It's like catching up with old friends.

As for SyFy - Oy. First of all, I forced myself to watch the entire 2 minute promo that they are showing before every show. It was lovely, but made no sense. It didn't interest me in any of the shows because I had no idea what the shows were; I didn't recognize almost any of the actors and there were no real plot points that I could see. I do like the catch phrase, "imaging greater." It shows the idea that the network is about outside of the box ideas, not just futuristic shows. The name still totally sucks.

But my biggest concern was the ads. There was a really sexually suggestive add for godaddy.com and then a spot for bootycall.com - at a few minutes after 9 p.m. on what should be a family show?!? Sure, if I record something that aired during late-night tv, that's fine, but this was really inappropriate. Who do they think is watching their network, only sexually repressed college-aged kids? They really have no idea. Or maybe I'm the one who's in the wrong place.

Sandi (Sandikal) Catherine, I think those ads are put in by the cable companies. They usually have slots available to put local advertising. I've seen those ads in very inappropriate places all over the dial. One of the worst is for the Hustler Club.

Cathy  (Cathygreytfriend) | 121 comments That makes sense, Sandi. But if I were the network I'd certainly want some approval over ads, especially in earlier time slots. NBC doesn't accept just any ad during prime time, I'm sure. SyFy should be more discriminating. My little guys are 7 and 10 and are starting to have a lot of questions about dating and stuff, if they'd seen those ads I'd have had a lot of unwelcome questions to answer. I can't always change the channel that quickly, and at 9 p.m. I shouldn't have to worry at least about Hustler or bootycall.

message 120: by Jim (new)

Jim (JimMacLachlan) Interestingly, I mentioned to my 19 year old daughter my disgust at the SyFy name change & she didn't get it. She asked if the 'y' made it speculative rather than science based fiction, didn't it? IOW, she thought it was logical. She likes to watch the G4 channel, too. I don't. Maybe it is just a generation thing...

Jackie (thelastwolf) I find the name change insulting to real science fiction fans. As if sci-fi isn't good enough, or a if we're all geeks or fools or some other stereotype.
And, they're idiots if they think a name change is going to make any difference.

I did like the commercial for the visual imagery. I recognized a lot of shows: Sanctuary, Eureka, Warehouse 13, Caprica, StarGate Universe, Ghost Hunters(even though I don't watch it). Can't remember what else now. While my husband and I were watching Eureka, we saw the commercial and he didn't recognize most of the actors either so I was pointing them out to him. Considering Caprica and SGU aren't even on the schedule yet, I'm not surprised the actors aren't recognized.

message 122: by Jim (new)

Jim (JimMacLachlan) Ditto, Jackie. It really surprised me that my daughter hadn't realized my disgust. We discuss enough books & all that I thought she would.

Libby | 271 comments I didn't even know they were changing it - shows how much I keep up with my poor overloaded Tivo. Can't wait to see the new episode!

The Flooze (the_flooze) | 125 comments Nathan, whose real name I'm pulling a blank on, will be on True Blood next week.

I'm going to miss the hatred, yet begrudging respect, between him and Carter. Made for some hilarious scenes.

Kevinalbee | 188 comments I read thier reasoning on the SYFY. And from a marketing perseptive it does make sense.

SYFY is distictive and Identifable. Sci-Fi is a generic used all over the place and used as a station name by competition in a foreign market.

Also a Sci-Fi endorcment of a product/movie etc was too generic.
SyFy is not.

Name Identification is very important for branding and marketing. TV is lets face it not about entertainment but marketing. I hate the commercials but they are what pays for the entertainment in TV and Radio.

Sci-Fi channel had real and good reasons To be better identified.

I don't Realy Like SyFy but it makes sense.

message 126: by Jon (new)

Jon (jonmoss) | 894 comments Kevinalbee wrote: "I read thier reasoning on the SYFY. And from a marketing perseptive it does make sense.

SYFY is distictive and Identifable. Sci-Fi is a generic used all over the place and used as a station nam..."

Yep. You can trademark "Syfy" but you can't trademark "Sci-Fi" and if you can trademark something, you can protect it, license it, and, of course, sue others for improper use of it.

Gotta love the legal system. It's paid my bills for two decades. :)

Jackie (thelastwolf) This may all be true, but they made the mistake of saying, on their own website, that they wanted to change their image, and the image of sci-fi fans. Still insulting. They can clean it up now and say whatever they want, but originally, they were quoted as 'SciFi' having an image problem.

SciFi Channel is the only science fiction channel I have. That I know of, LOL. So all that marketing stuff means nothing to me. Of course it's about the money. Without that revenue, there'd be no pogramming, the two go together. It is a necessary evil.

Brooke Yeah, part of the problem for me is that they just talked it up too much. I think that, "We'd like to be able to trademark our name," is a reasonable enough explanation, and one you can't really argue with. Weaving all this BS about the image of SF and wanting its viewers to know that they cover more than space and aliens is just insulting, as Jackie puts it. It's like the marketing department just didn't know when enough was enough.

Jackie (thelastwolf) Good point Brooke. Seriously, how good could they be at their jobs? Any idiot knows: don't insult your viewers.
I have a feeling that 'trademarking their name' came later, after realizing their mistake. Talk about a foot in the mouth.
Lucky for them, we're not your average viewers, and we have extreme loyalty to our shows, maybe not to the station, but we won't let that interfere in our viewing pleasure.

Cathy  (Cathygreytfriend) | 121 comments They should have just said that the channel features sci-fi and fantasy and that they were trying to reflect both.

Jackie (thelastwolf) See how perfect that was? Too bad they didn't hire you, LOL.

colleen the contrarian  ± (... never stop fighting) ± (blackrose13) | 1246 comments As a side note: I think it's kinda funny that we're discussing the Syfy name change in the thread for Eureka, we were discussing Eureka in the thread of Warehouse 13, and are now discussing towels in the Syfy thread ;)

As for insulting the fan base - I'm sort of somewhere in between being insulted and understanding it from a marketing perspective. I think there is a stigma to speculative fiction, in general. I encounter it at work all the time - the dismissive way people react when I say that a show I watch is on SciFi, or is sci-fi (i.e. Dollhouse, for instance). I'm not sure that it's meant to be insulting to the fanbase, from the Syfy people's perspective, to acknowledge that this stigma exists. But as specualive fiction movies and programs become more popular in the mainstream (i.e. the LotR movies), they're trying to expand their fan base by bringing in people who might be sci-fi fans if only they'd allow themselves to get past the silly stereotypes.

still don't like the rebranding and think it's silly to think that renaming it is really going to erase said stereotypes. And, of course, there is the underlying notion of going "Hey, sci-fi isn't just for geeks and losers anymore... " - which, of course, if taken that way, is insulting.

Sort of an ancillay anecdote: I work with this one guy who's about my age - 30. He picks on me, good naturedly enough, about reading comic books. As he says, he always thought the only people who read comic books were hard-core geeks, whereas I'm only a demi-geek. *grins* I rebutted that he's often one of the first people to anxiously await a comic book movie, so what kind of geek does that make him?

It's the same reason why 20000 Leagues Under the Sea gets placed in literature instead of sci-fi, or why people who like Lost don't realize or admit that it is science fiction.

I don't really blame Sci-Fi Channel marketing people to acknowledge that the stigma is there, and try to find a way of getting past it to open their fan base, as increase fan base = more revenue which could equal more original shows with, perhaps, better budgets. I do think they took a rather silly and potentially demeaning route at trying to get there, though.

Jackie (thelastwolf) Blackrose said: the dismissive way people react when I say that a show I watch is on SciFi, or is sci-fi
I get it all the time and it really anoys me. Like I'm stupid and can't read a 'real' book. Yeah, I'd like see them get through one Dune book and come back and talk to me then. I don't understand why such a stigma is set upon such a brilliant genre. Obviously, they've never read it, I get that; but why is THEIR opinion of a genre they've never read put upon those that do read it, and have it stick.
Comic books, I guess I'm one of those too. What comics do you read? I'm a big Marvel Fan. Any of the X titles, Ironman, FF, Silver Surfer...

Back to scifi channel. It still makes no sense to me, to change the spelling, it still sounds the same and that sound is SCI FI, and it's still considered an inferior genre, no matter how you spell it.

colleen the contrarian  ± (... never stop fighting) ± (blackrose13) | 1246 comments I think the stigma is there, in part, because of the spotlight fallacy - when thinking of sci-fi and fantasy, people think of the most extreme cases of the fandom, and then equate us all with virgin basement dwellers. It's a long standing stigma, and will take a long while to get past it, especially if sci-fi stays a niche market.

Also, in an attempt at fairness, I must admit that there are certain genres which I am probably equally dismissive of - like chick-lit, for example.

And then there are the lit-snobs who dismiss us all equally. Sort of like the Oscar-snobs who dismiss all popcorn flicks. There are some good popcorn flicks, people. Of course, there are a whole plethora of bad ones, too - and those are the ones that get most of the attention.

Anyway...

Comics. I used to follow a lot of the X-stuff, but couldn't really afford to keep up with it. I watched a lot of the superhero cartoons growing up, but didn't follow most of the comics. I started reading "graphic novels" when I was older, starting with Sandman and then branching from there. Some titles I like are Hellblazer, Lucifer, Fables, House of Mystery, Books of Magic, and some YA like titles like Nightmares & Fairy Tales and Courtney Crumrin. I just got the graphic novelizations of the Dragonlance Chronicles, but I haven't read them, yet.

And I agree that the name change doesn't make a lot of sense. As you say, it still sounds the same - unless you pronounce it siffy like I do, out of spite. *grins* And anyone who wasn't bombarded by the "Look at us, we're different" ads won't have the faintest clue that anything's changed.

I agree with an earlier suggestion that we should just embrace "speculative fiction" as a broader-scoped genre, but then I started wondering how this would evolve over the years. Would it become SpecFic? Then that could become SpeFy and we could pronounce it spiffy, which is an accurate enough assessment of what we think of our beloved genres. *double grins*

message 135: by Jackie (last edited Jul 14, 2009 02:41PM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) Heehee! You are so funny, "siffy", ROFL. It sounds kinda nasty.
Yeah, you're right, it's no different than other imagined superiorities of one group of people over another. It's who we are, people like nothing better than looking down their noses at someone else. And I'm guilty of it too, with the Chick Lit. Bad Jackie!

Ah, the cost of comics, I know it well. We had a little store around the corner when I lived in the City, and he'd sell current titles for 50 cents a piece. I swear he must have been a bookie or something, using the store as a front. I didn't care, I got tons of comics and increased my comic addiction. But when I moved Upstate, I couldn't afford all those titles and slowly let a whole lot of them go. Sometimes I'll pick up some X titles, but nowhere near as much as I'd like.
I just found on some channel I didn't even know I had, reruns of X Men, FF, Silver Surfer, Spiderman and X Men Evolution in the early morning hours. DVRd that right away. Actually going to watch SS right now.

The Flooze (the_flooze) | 125 comments Spiffy. I like! On the topic of thinking we all must be super-dweebs, a couple of coworkers were shocked speechless when I said I went to NY Comic Con 2 years in a row. "You mean, there are normal people there? It's not just people in Star Trek uniforms?" Oye!

colleen the contrarian  ± (... never stop fighting) ± (blackrose13) | 1246 comments Heck, I am a geek and I was surprised that there are normal people at the conventions. ;)

message 138: by Jon (new)

Jon (jonmoss) | 894 comments I'm proud to be a geek. "Normal" is just a setting on your dryer.

The Flooze (the_flooze) | 125 comments Tut tut tut! Perpetuating the myth! Fer shame!

It's actually an awesome event. Lots if screenings, artists, actors, authors, and great panel discussions on anything and everything. I'm dying to go to San Diego Comic Con, but did a crap job planning for the trip. There's always next year!

colleen the contrarian  ± (... never stop fighting) ± (blackrose13) | 1246 comments I'd love to go, but, alas, 'tis not in the budget.

The Flooze (the_flooze) | 125 comments Damn monetary limitations! San Diego is pricey! Especially coming from NY.

Jackie (thelastwolf) But it would be so freakin' cool!

Kevinalbee | 188 comments Hey I don't live in my mothers basement. I have my own basement and live down here with my books computer, D and D manuals. Star fleet battles game modules and my collection of star wars toys.

Why do we Sci Fi enthusiasts have a bad rep.

Kevin

PS did I mention I have a hand made Klingon uniform for myself and my son. Including batleth and a replica blaster.

The Flooze (the_flooze) | 125 comments Lol

Sweet!

Jackie (thelastwolf) Kevin, I want to come over and play.

message 146: by Jon (new)

Jon (jonmoss) | 894 comments Kevinalbee wrote: "Hey I don't live in my mothers basement. I have my own basement and live down here with my books computer, D and D manuals. Star fleet battles game modules and my collection of star wars toys.

..."

But you also used to live in your mother's basement. :P

message 147: by Chad (last edited Jul 15, 2009 07:59AM) (new)

Chad (doctorwinters) blackrose wrote: "still don't like the rebranding and think it's silly to think that renaming it is really going to erase said stereotypes. And, of course, there is the underlying notion of going "Hey, sci-fi isn't just for geeks and losers anymore... " - which, of course, if taken that way, is insulting."

----------------------------------
The funny thing for me is instead of producing quality shows that would defy the stereotypes (instead of "knockoff/ripoff D movie #12" they think just changing the name will fix it.

So they change the name and cancel most of the quality to shows to make more pitiful horror flicks and throw in some wrestling and this is their fix?

Kevinalbee | 188 comments But you also used to live in your mother's basement. :P

So I like basements..........

message 149: by Jim (new)

Jim (JimMacLachlan) All teenagers should be raised in the basement, if one is available. It fits their dispositions perfectly. Ours were trolls.

The Flooze (the_flooze) | 125 comments Lol

And it's such a great environment for festering gym socks.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Saving Graces (other topics)