Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Page Numbering Requests > Page numbering policy question

Comments (showing 1-39)    post a comment »
dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 39: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 21556 comments Mod
Either is fine.

Natasa (natasalikes) | 141 comments What about books which are releasing in 1/2 years but have a page number on their publisher's page? Would the correct policy be to add that page number or wait until an official announcement is made closer to the release date? (and then change it again if the pages of the physical copy turns out to be different ofc. Heh.)

Lindsey (_Lindsey_) | 11 comments Thank you, Rivka!

message 36: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

In general, yes.

Lindsey (_Lindsey_) | 11 comments Quick question - I'm pretty sure these would be included since they are not previews or advertisements, but would I count "About the Author" pages at the very end of a book?

Shay | 179 comments Sandra wrote: "326 pages Shay :)"

Thanks. I also included an explanation of how the page number was determined in the librarian notes.

Sandra | 3469 comments 326 pages Shay :)

Shay | 179 comments I have a question about River Marked by Patricia Briggs, ISBN is 9780441019731. The final numbered page is 324. There are another two pages that are unnumbered but are part of the book- actually part of the story. Do I number it as 324 or 326. Thanks.

message 30: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Correct.

Sue Bowling (sueannbowling) | 36 comments So when I add a book I own that I cannot find on Goodreads it is correct to just list the page number of the last page, excluding teasers for a following book? That's what I've been doing.

Emma  (huishuis) | 7 comments Okay its clear then. I read the policy on numbering and that suggested quite something else. I have been doingit right all along then.

Sandra | 3469 comments Emma, I think you are getting confused. When I, as a librarian change a page number count from a book in hand, I don't start counting pages, I look to see what the publisher has printed and use the last appropriate page listed. This does not include excerpts of the next book etc even if these pages are numbered.

Sometimes what is imported from Amazon & B&N can be 20, 30 or 100 pages out from what is in the book. What matters is the number from the actual book.

message 25: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Emma wrote: "But when I enter a new book I keep to the publishers numbering'system"

No one is suggesting doing otherwise.

message 24: by Emma (last edited Feb 17, 2011 05:36PM) (new)

Emma  (huishuis) | 7 comments rivka... I mean copies in hand. I would never change anything that I could not view personally. But when I enter a new book I keep to the publishers numbering'system Sometime they start numbering, without a printed number and very of they start numbering only on from the first page op say for instance Chapter One. Sometimes that first printed number on the page where the contents begins is page 5 of 8 (depending on the title paging contents etetera. Bur very often number 1 starts here. If his numbering did not include the first title pages I do not go adding them, and I stop where the publisher starts numbering, which is usually spot on. If we socalled correct that by adding the un-numbered title pages we create unnecessary chaos. When the publisher starts page one on chapter one I think one should keep to it. And it will keep in line with the identity of the specific edition.

message 23: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Emma, the page numbers reported by publishers to Amazon, etc. are often NOT based on what is in the actual book, as Catherine explained in some detail above.

When we change the numbers here, it is usually based on a physical copy of the book.

Emma  (huishuis) | 7 comments The differences often occurs through the publishers numbering. Depands on whethet thet start page 1 at chapter one and the last number on the last page of the last chapter. I ruly think one should respet the publishers numbering. As long as the numbering covers the true contents. Title pages etcetera are important but the contents counts more. By differeng from the publisher were are creating chaos.

Emma  (huishuis) | 7 comments Sandra wrote: "Yes, Cathy, make the changes. Page numbers are frequently wrong from publishers, Amazon & B&N. I'm pretty sure that they have standard sizes they just use, that aren't backed up by fact.

I change ..."

Sandra wrote: "Yes, Cathy, make the changes. Page numbers are frequently wrong from publishers, Amazon & B&N. I'm pretty sure that they have standard sizes they just use, that aren't backed up by fact.

I change ..."

Catherine | 8 comments I used to work in publishing so I wanted to add a bit about inconsistent page counts from the publisher side.

Page counts often change from the preliminary information that is released and the final book. Sometimes publishers update, sometimes they don't. It depends on how diligent the person responsible for that update is (can be editorial, marketing, production... depends on the company).

Page counts might be updated on the publisher's data feed but some maybe be superseded by another data feed that they have no control over. I remember it being a big pain trying to get the correct info on amazon when my company's feed was being overwritten by another feed (usually a wholesaler... or for some reason the Canadian feed of the same company which never made sense to me). We could ask Amazon to manually change info but that would flag that title to not be included in any automatic feed which could cause huge problems later on (this may have changed but this was the state of things 2 years ago before I left).

Some publishers (not all) list pages as a multiple of a signature (16 pages)or half signature (8 pages) regardless of how many pages have actual content on it. For example, in the original post the book in question had 288 pages. This would be 18 signatures. Even though it is an ebook, I'm guessing the page count is just a carry over from the paperback edition.

Lydia (LoverofInformation) | 4 comments Okay, I did look as an e-book and must have missed the listing of pages. The ISBN I sent appeared to be for the e-book [since that was the only version I saw}. Thanks for the educations!

message 18: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (last edited Feb 14, 2011 07:18AM) (new)

I'm not sure why you think it is an ebook -- the publisher lists it as a paperback.

However, to answer the question in general; some ebooks do have page numbers associated with them (particularly ePub and PDF editions), but many simply do not.

Edit: It appears to ALSO be available as an ebook, under another ISBN, which I added. That edition the publisher lists as having 348 pages.

Lydia (LoverofInformation) | 4 comments Noah’s Law Randa Abdel-Fattah

Can you tell me how you address this Rivka? I would like to know how.

message 16: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

ISBN or link, please?

Lydia (LoverofInformation) | 4 comments I found a book that is only available in electronic form. But some groups need to know how many pages. What should I do? I have checked Amazon and WorldCat to no avail.

Sandra | 3469 comments Quinn, that's exactly what you do.

Quinn Gorman | 1 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "There's another reason why a page count could appear to be wrong - ISBNs being reused for subsequent editions. A new edition could very well have a different page count from an earlier edition wit..."

Lobstergirl:
I have a situation like you mention: same ISBN (0195015630) and same publisher (Oxford UP) for a later (1993 instead of 1972) publication of _Round River: From the Journals of Aldo Leopold_, which has a page count of 173 instead of the listed 286, and is not a part of the listed Galaxy Books series. Both books' details would be correct for this ISBN, so I suppose I should (per our manual) manually add a new edition, leave the ISBN blank, and explain the discrepancies via the description and/or librarian notes fields. I'm a new librarian here, so I just want to make sure I'm not messing up my first edit.

Kim (catmommie) | 79 comments ok, thanks. I'm writing it down so I don't forget...

message 11: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

The excerpt (from another book, I assume?) doesn't count, but recipes and anything that is part of the actual book (author's note, index, etc.) does.

Kim (catmommie) | 79 comments I have another question: I just finished a book where the story was 266 pages, but extras such as recipes and an excerpt brought it to 304. Which would be the correct number?

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments Pamela, that's a problem with the status update, not with the book's record; status updates can be entered as either percentages or pages on any book, and you can switch between them by clicking on the percent sign or the word pages.

Pamela (cordeliasroom) | 4 comments I added the pages to the ebook edition of a book, its right here in front of me on my nook, and just released today. For some reason the number of pages isn't showing up though, so when someone updates their status (like mine) it shows you're 82% done with the book on page 82. Does anyone know why this happens and how to fix it?

Sandra | 3469 comments I do all my page count changes with the book in hand & I check. Its probably more of a worry when we get requests to change without much other information.

message 6: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Which is why it's not a bad idea to confirm (via the log) that the edition you are editing has never had its page numbering edited before.

Lobstergirl | 3354 comments There's another reason why a page count could appear to be wrong - ISBNs being reused for subsequent editions. A new edition could very well have a different page count from an earlier edition with the same ISBN. So some page count corrections are probably correcting page counts that are already accurate.

Cathy  (Cathygreytfriend) | 13 comments Thanks, guys! It seems so bizarre that the publishers don't care how many pages they list. But it does help explain why the same numbers show up so frequently.

Sandra | 3469 comments Yes, Cathy, make the changes. Page numbers are frequently wrong from publishers, Amazon & B&N. I'm pretty sure that they have standard sizes they just use, that aren't backed up by fact.

I change 98% of book page numbers when I get a new book. The other 2% has been gotten by another GR Librarian. LOL.

As for which pages count - there is a section in GR Librarian Manual:

Page count
The number of pages in a book is meant to include all content except for advertisements and preview chapters for other books. Included end material may include acknowledgments, afterwords, appendices, glossaries, indexes, notes, and suggested discussion questions.

Introductory material paged using roman numerals is not included in the total page count.

Most e-book formats do not have a fixed number of pages since the pagination adjusts for screen size. For PDF specific editions, or any other fixed page e-books, the normal paging rules may be used.

For audio books, number of hours should be used in lieu of number of pages, when that information is known.

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 2365 comments Cathy,

Page numbers are often wrong and librarians should correct them as they notice them:

http://www.goodreads.com/help/librari...

Cathy  (Cathygreytfriend) | 13 comments I've been finding many books lately where the actual number of pages in the book in my hand do not match the edition's number of pages as shown on GR, with the major booksellers and from the publishing company. This is after being careful to make an ISBN match. Any idea what the problem is? I feel strange correcting something when the publisher claims a different number, but when the difference is significant I want my comments and updates to reflect the proper position in the book and for people thinking about reading or buying the book to have proper info. Plus that "wanted to be a librarian" itch hates seeing it wrong. Is it ok to just make the correction? In some cases where it isn't obvious, what should the proper count be? Does it I closed everything from the 1st numbered page through the back cover?

Here's a simple case: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/70... - an ebook version, same eISBN listed in my book and here, it isn't one of the books where the pages change per size or anything. The publijer website also lists the book as being 288 pages, when it's really 258. So can I change it? Are there situation when I shouldn't change it?

Sorry that was so long. Ive seen it happening more and more with newly released paperbacks. Without being able to find a correct number from Amazon, B&N or the publisher, I'm not sure what to do. I had one that was listed as 100 pages too short! It's a bit confirming. Thanks in advance for your help.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Noah's Law (other topics)
River Marked (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Randa Abdel-Fattah (other topics)
Patricia Briggs (other topics)