The History Book Club discussion

IMPORTANT ITEMS > FACEBOOK PAGE - FAN PAGE FOR THE HISTORY BOOK CLUB

Comments (showing 1-29 of 29) (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Dec 11, 2010 04:38PM) (new)

Bentley | 31962 comments Mod
Yes, we are on Facebook!

At the suggestion of some group members; I was asked to set up a fan page for The History Book Club which we tried to do.

Believe me, it is not a straight forward task. Finally after a host of tries and maybe a thousand more than that; the upload and the sync were successful.

So we do have a facebook site linked with our goodreads site. However, this is not a replacement for what we do here of course - just supplemental.

This facebook site will still have the same basic common sense and respectful rules but there are few things that I think you will like about it.

For example, it allows you to add photo albums about specific historic locations, etc. and I can see that this would come in handy since that seemed to be something that was always difficult to do here. There is the ability to upload video if someone let us say takes some video of some historic sites like Verdun, Grant's Tomb, Monticello, etc.

There is a discussion thread and topical thread where you can add conversation topics and it does not in anyway effect our upload and sync. Let me know how you like it and of course share it with your friends as well as this site.

Here is the link:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-His...

If you have any problem adding the fan page and/or getting to it successfully, some of our assisting mods got to it successfully today including Aussie Rick, Garret, Alisa, Simon and Michael. Also, Elizabeth from Alaska was our very first fan to the site. And Simon was very helpful in terms of testing out access, etc.

I know that any of the above would be more than willing to help out. And be mindful that this still is a work in progress.

message 2: by Alisa (new)

Alisa (MsTaz) | 5523 comments It looks good, Bentley. Thanks for getting this up and running!

message 3: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

It is a work in progress - and that is how it should be when we are all volunteers - right (smile)

message 4: by Alisa (new)

Alisa (MsTaz) | 5523 comments True, all true.

message 5: by Bryan, Honorary Contributor - EMERITUS (new)

Bryan Craig | 11648 comments Mod
It is a great option. Thanks, Bentley.

message 6: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

You are welcome...I am still trying to figure it all out.

message 7: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Dec 12, 2010 07:20PM) (new)

Right now the facebook page is a great place to post your travels to historic places including videos as well as photos or photo albums. We will play it by ear. Right now everyone on the Facebook page can do the following: (however, there is no self promotion or marketing) - we want everything about something to do with History and/or The History Book Club.

Posting Ability:

People who like this Page can write or post content on the wall
People who like this Page can post photos
People who like this Page can post videos
People who like this Page can post links

JUST REMEMBER - NO SELF PROMOTION - THESE ARE DELETED

message 8: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

You can also start new topics on the Facebook version here under discussions here:

Just not on this goodreads one.

message 9: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

To see everything the same as you see here: you have to click on the goodreads link at the top of the Facebook page: (here is that link)

message 10: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

This is the link to the wall on the Facebook site:

message 11: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (BarbaraSC) | 13 comments The facebook page looks great. I just became a fan there!!

message 12: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Great, the more the merrier.

message 13: by Vicki, Assisting Moderator - Ancient Roman History (new)

Vicki Cline | 2262 comments Mod
Looks like more work for you, Bentley. You're a glutton for punishment!

message 14: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Most of the site really is uploaded and synced with goodreads. And it is for a good cause - just good discussion and fun learning about new and wonderful reading material and ideas.

message 15: by Michael (new)

Michael Flanagan (Loboz) | 1208 comments The page is looking good Bentley and activity is starting to kick along. Have to disagree with the status update though, 25 degree's windy and pouring here :)

message 16: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Thanks Michael. Of course, we will do our best to keep up the status update. Feel free to add to anything of historic value.

Sorry about the weather; we are cold, cold, cold.

message 17: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Unfortunately, when I checked the page later on tonight; it appeared that something really had mixed it up; it was not loading and it appears that Facebook is experiencing some problems. I will let you know when Facebook has fixed the problems and bugs.

Elizabeth (Alaska) I'm not having any problems accessing it now, Bentley.

message 19: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Dec 15, 2010 08:39PM) (new)

There were major problems and I had to send a screen shot. I will try it again. I am glad that you are getting in; but The History Book Club page on Facebook does not look right.

My specific profile is fine but not the fan page.

message 20: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Well things seem to be fine now; this may have been a problem with my browser and the goodreads interface. I had sent a screenshot to Facebook and I also did a reset; and that seems to be what worked like a charm.

So everybody should be able to get on.

Elizabeth (Alaska) Darn browser problems. I use IE and I think I'm becoming a dinosaur in that regard, but it rarely, if ever, gives me problems, so I'm reluctant to change. Others seems to have a different experience.

message 22: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

I know. It was a dead give away when everybody else did not have the same problem.

message 23: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Dec 16, 2010 09:14PM) (new)

I also noticed that Facebook had a problem with code so maybe some of the issues may have been related to something they did on their end which corrupted some folks' browser interfaces. Of course, they say that their problem was only today.

http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2010/1...

message 24: by Alisa (new)

Alisa (MsTaz) | 5523 comments As a platform FB has its limitations. The simpler the better I think.

message 25: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

For sure.

message 26: by Bryan, Honorary Contributor - EMERITUS (new)

Bryan Craig | 11648 comments Mod
Good article, Bentley. 550 million users, wow!

message 27: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

That amazed me too.

message 28: by Doreen (new)

Doreen Petersen Wow I really like this idea!

message 29: by K. (new)

K. (Maiel) | 75 comments Glad to see this!

unread topics | mark unread