Ancient World discussion

Ancient Greece in fiction

Comments (showing 1-20 of 20) (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by N.J. (new)

N.J. Slater | 11 comments Currently researching a new novel set in Ancient Greece, interested to know what people know of the period and recommend for reading

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (SusannaG) | 30 comments Mod
In what period are you setting the book?

I've liked both Mary Renault and Stephen Pressfield's novel about Thermopylae.

message 3: by N.J. (new)

N.J. Slater | 11 comments Still at the very early stages, trying to get my head around the society

message 4: by N.J. (new)

N.J. Slater | 11 comments Seems so much more written on Rome than Greece

Looks like it.

message 6: by Kernos (new)

Kernos | 8 comments Nigel wrote: "Seems so much more written on Rome than Greece"

The Romans left a lot more behind, esp writings. They also burned our best resource of all, the Alexandrian Library, perhaps the worst deed ever done.

Even so there are enough resources for you to spend a lifetime researching. I would suggest starting with a general survey and then focusing onto your real interests.

The Oxford History of Greece the Hellenistic World is a good overview as are most OUP historical books.

Ancient Greece: From Prehistoric to Hellenistic Times is decent up to Alexander and deals with every day life.

I would also suggest reading the Histories of Herodotus, as primary sources, they are quite readable.

For starters...

message 7: by N.J. (new)

N.J. Slater | 11 comments Many thanks

message 8: by Ireney (last edited Sep 02, 2011 01:23AM) (new)

Ireney Berezniak | 3 comments Hi Nigel,

I have been collecting the Tyrant series created by Christian Cameron. The series is set in the time of Alexander the Great, and focuses on relationship between Greeks and Scythians. I have not started reading it yet, as two more books are planned, and so I can't comment on the usefulness to your research, but might be worth a try.

He's also started another series, Long War, which is a story of confrontation between an emerging Greek civilization and the Persian empire.

ib.

message 9: by N.J. (new)

N.J. Slater | 11 comments Thanks, I will check it out

message 10: by Mike (new)

Mike Anderson (MikeAnderson) | 4 comments Nigel,

Check out my blog which is a study of ancient Greece and Rome.

www.mikeanderson.biz

message 11: by Ireney (new)

Ireney Berezniak | 3 comments Nigel,

I created a discussion group devoted to historical fiction. The group is at a very early stage and does not see much action at the moment, but in the future it may provide you with information that you seek as it grows.

You are also welcome to share any news or info about your own work in that group >8)

Cheers!

ib.

message 12: by Goodwill (new)

Goodwill Ogbuefi (OgbuDenny) | 2 comments Nigel wrote: "Currently researching a new novel set in Ancient Greece, interested to know what people know of the period and recommend for reading"

Interestingly there is a published work on ancient Greece set in the days of Alexander on Kindle.

Book Title: the Broken Horn
(http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007U4W3M2)

Genre: Mystery/historic fiction/short story

Link location: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007U4W3M2

I am the author and you may want take a good look at it my dear.

message 13: by Kernos (new)

Kernos | 8 comments Rebecca wrote: "I have a bibliography at my website that will give you many avenues to explore. There are a lot more books available now than there were when I started researching. http://rebeccalochlann.com"

A great resource, Rebecca. Does anyone know of a list of HF/Mythic fiction for the Greek world?

I just finished Victoria Grossack and Alice Underwood's Arrows of Artemis: Niobe and Chloris, the 3rd book in a brilliant series about the House of Tantalus, his children and grandchildren, especially Pelops and Niobe and their spouses and kids. IMO, these compare to the works of Mary Renault.

Another recent historical fantasy I read recently was The Song of Achilles a retelling of the Iliad from Patroclus' point of view up to the death of Achilles. Excellent!

message 15: by Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (last edited May 06, 2012 02:23PM) (new)

I think it may be in print again, from Penguin or Penguin Classics?

ETA: Also listed here as having a kindle edition, out this year.

That's what it lists under "other editions" in the GR database.

message 17: by Kernos (new)

Kernos | 8 comments I've wondered if the War of the Titans would make a good novel?

message 18: by Old-Barbarossa (new)

Old-Barbarossa Susanna wrote: "I think it may be in print again, from Penguin or Penguin Classics?

ETA: Also listed here as having a kindle edition, out this year."

Amazon UK has a bunch of his stuff reprinted fairly recently, notes that Homers Daughter was re-issued in Jan '12.
I really enjoyed his The Golden Fleece aka Hercules My Shipmate. (Also re-issued recently.)

message 19: by Laura (new)

Laura Gill | 2 comments Chris wrote: "Warrior in Bronze

George Shipway's (out-of-print) two books featuring Agamemnon are my favorites in the "ancient world" of Greece.

http://bleatings.blogspot.com/2006/03...-..."

I loved Warrior In Bronze and King In Splendour.

I've written a few novels set in Mycenaean Greece, and I always love discovering new ones.

message 20: by Jane (new)

Jane I've just discovered Naomi Mitchison. Loved her short stories Black Sparta by Naomi Mitchison Black Sparta and am now reading Cloud Cuckoo Land by Naomi Mitchison Cloud Cuckoo Land.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Ancient Greece: From Prehistoric to Hellenistic Times (other topics)
The Oxford History of Greece and the Hellenistic World (other topics)
The Song of Achilles (other topics)
Homer's Daughter (other topics)
The Golden Fleece (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Herodotus (other topics)
Christian Cameron (other topics)
Victoria Grossack (other topics)
Alice Underwood (other topics)
Naomi Mitchison (other topics)