Historical Fictionistas discussion

Challenges > Challenge #5: Report Points Here

Comments (showing 1-50 of 368) (368 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

message 1: by Jackie, That's Her Constableness to you! (last edited Jan 17, 2011 02:56PM) (new)

Jackie (TheNightOwl) | 2936 comments In an effort to make it easier on the score keeper please report your challenge points here in the following format:

Task # & description
Link to book
Pages & points
HF Point
Any required criteria for task

Example:
24.4 In honor of Valentine’s Day read a historical romance
Read: Outlander
Pages: 853 pgs- 8 pts
HF: 1 pt
Total points: 33 pts
Grand total: 120 pts

Please keep this thread for Points discussion only. Any other posts should be posted to the Challenge Thread
-----------------------------------------------

Participants may join at any time during the challenge. All points must be reported by 11:59pm EST on February 28, 2011 to be counted.

Tasks can be completed in any order and it is not required to complete all regular tasks before doing the bonus tasks.

RULES:
1) Books must be Historical Fiction if specified as HF. If no specification is made, the book can be ANY genre.

2) Books must be at least 200 pages long. Eligibility for this is determined by the most popular edition on Goodreads. If the most popular edition is 197 pages, it will not count, even if the edition read is 215 pages.

3) Books less than 1/2 finished may be counted for the challenge at the beginning, but ALL books must be completed and points recorded by 11:59p EST on February 28, 2011 for points to be counted as completed for the task.

4) Re-reads and audiobooks are accepted unless specified otherwise in the task. (Audiobook page counts will be determined by the most popular edition on Goodreads.)

SCORING:
5) Task categories are assigned a point value, and points are awarded when all parts of the task are completed. Partial points will NOT be awarded for partially completed tasks.

6) Bonus points will be awarded based on the length of each book read, as follows:
200 to 300 pages = 2 bonus points
301 to 500 pages = 4 bonus points
501 to 750 pages = 6 bonus points
751 to 1,000 pages = 8 bonus points
1,000+ = 10 bonus points

Bonus points will be awarded PER BOOK READ. Task points are awarded ONE TIME once the task is complete.

7) Page length used to determine task bonus points is determined by THE MOST POPULAR EDITION OF THE BOOK ON GOODREADS -- NOT the edition you actually read.This is a change from the previous rules in an attempt to make the scoring more fair across the board, as there can be very large page variations between editions. To determine the most popular edition on Goodreads, simply do a title/author search - the first result that matches your book is the most popular edition on GR.

8) As this challenge contains both HF and other genre books, you will receive 1 additional bonus point for every HF book read, whether the task requires HF or not. Please be sure to list that the book is HF to make sure that the additional points are counted.

WE WILL NOT AWARD HF POINTS IF IT IS NOT REPORTED UNLESS WE ARE POSITIVE THE BOOK IS HF. In other words, we aren't going to research the book for you. It is your responsibility to report your scores accurately, we will merely verify and record them.

9) HAVE FUN!!!
----------------------------------------------------

CHALLENGE #5 TASK LIST

Any Genre:
5 Points Each Task
5.1 In the spirit of friendship read a book written by two or more authors
5.2 Read a book set in the country you would most like to visit

10 Points Each Task
10.1 Read any author's first book
10.2 Read an Oprah selection from any year in honor of Oprah's last year on TV. Please tell us what year you chose (the list goes back to 1997 and can be found here: http://www.oprah.com/oprahsbookclub/C... )
10.3 Find your Chinese astrological sign and read a book published in one of the years under your sign: http://www.c-c-c.org/chineseculture/z...
Please tell us what your sign is and the publication date of the book you chose.

20 Points Each Task
20.1 Go to the HF Group polls thread and read 2 books from any month or different months. Please tell us what month & year the books were nominated.
http://www.goodreads.com/poll/list/22...
20.2 In honor of New Year’s pick a book in which one of the characters is given a new beginning or a second chance
20.3 Read one book of GR’s Most Popular Books Published In 2010 List. http://www.goodreads.com/book/popular...

Historical Fiction:
25 Points Each Task
25.1 Read one of the 5 HF books that have been on your to-read list the longest. To find these books go to your to-read book shelf and click on date added. Pick one of the first 5 HF books on your list.
25.2 Read a HF book in which a historical figure meets an untimely end
25.3 Read an HF book by an author who uses one or more pseudonyms
25.4 In honor of Valentine’s Day read a historical romance

Bonus: 50 Points Each Task
50.1 Jen C's Task- Read any book that has been nominated for or won any literary award.
50.2 Evelina C's Task- Read any book that is set in a country that is primarily at 60 degrees N. latitude or above. Use this link to help you: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/60th_par...
50.3 LemonLinda's Task - Read any book with a color word in the title - example: One Thousand White Women, The Color Purple, The Red Tent, etc.

Super Bonus: 100 Point Task
Support our HF group authors by reading one of their books. These are the authors that qualify for the task:
Steve Anderson
Heikki Hietala
Debra Denson
Joyce Elson Moore
Johanna Moran
Michelle Moran
Priya Parmar
Kate Quinn
Zina Rohan
M.G. Scarsbrook
Holly Weiss
Stephanie Dray

-------------------------------------------------------------

Prizes
We're going to try something new this round...
1st Prize Winner- can choose between choosing 5 tasks for the Mini-Challenge in March or choosing the group read for April/May (that means no nominations for April/May)
2nd & 3rd Prize Winners- design bonus tasks for Challenge #6

message 2: by ToniS (last edited Jan 02, 2011 10:31PM) (new)

ToniS | 204 comments Task 20.2 In honor of New Year’s pick a book in which one of the characters is given a new beginning or a second chance
The Shadowy Horses
Pages: 368 = 4 pts
Total points: 24 pts

message 3: by Jamie (new)

Jamie  | 77 comments 25.3 Read an HF book by an author who uses one or more pseudonyms
Read: The Mummy Case by Elizabeth Peters
Pages: 327 pgs - 4 pts
Total points: 30 pts
Grand total: 30 pts

message 4: by LemonLinda (new)

LemonLinda (lwilliamson42353) | 855 comments Super bonus: 100 Point Task - Support our HF group authors by reading one of their books.
Read: Crestmont by Holly Weiss
Pages: 340 - 4 pts
Total: 105 pts
Grand total: 105 pts

message 5: by Luckngrace (new)

Luckngrace | 368 comments 25.4 Read and HR for Valentine's Day
Read: Captiveby Heather Graham
Pages: 464 - 4pts
HR: 1 pt
Total: 30 pts
Grand total: 30 pts

message 6: by LenaLena (new)

LenaLena (Marilenalena) 50.1 Jen C's Task- Read any book that has been nominated for or won any literary award.
The Shadow of the Wind
468 pages - 4 pts
Total: 55 pts
Grand Total: 55 pts

message 7: by Shannon (new)

Shannon | 138 comments 5.2 Set in a country I'd like to visit
Death in the Stocks by Georgette Heyer
Set in England
Pages: 274 - 2
Total: 7
Grand Total: 7

message 8: by Rachel (last edited Jan 16, 2011 08:02AM) (new)

Rachel G (anplica) | 283 comments 25.4 In honor of Valentine’s Day read a historical romance
Love in the Afternoon
332 pages = 4 pts
HF = 1 pt
Total = 30 pts

Grand total = 30

message 9: by Luckngrace (new)

Luckngrace | 368 comments 10.1 Author's first book: Rain Fall
363 pages = 4 pts
total = 14 pts
grand total = 44 pts

message 10: by Evelina C (new)

Evelina C (EvelinaGuekguezian) | 58 comments 20.3. GR's Most Popular Books/2010.
Clockwork Angel
476p--4 pts
HF: 1

message 11: by LemonLinda (new)

LemonLinda (lwilliamson42353) | 855 comments 10.1 Read any author's first book
The Luxe by Anna Godbersen
433 pp = 4 points
HF - 1 point
Total = 15
Grand Total = 120

message 12: by Luckngrace (new)

Luckngrace | 368 comments 25.3 Author has pseudonyms: Rebelby Bernard Cornwell aka Susannah Kells
464 pages = 4 pts
hf = 1 pt
total = 30 pts
grand total = 74 pts

message 13: by Jackie, That's Her Constableness to you! (new)

Jackie (TheNightOwl) | 2936 comments 25.4 In honor of Valentine’s Day read a historical romance
Knight of Passion
416 pages= 4 bonus pts
HF= 1 pt
Total= 30 pts

Grand total= 30 pts

message 14: by Evelina C (new)

Evelina C (EvelinaGuekguezian) | 58 comments 5.2 Book set in country most like to visit.
Queen Hereafter: A Novel of Margaret of Scotland
352p--4 pts
Scotland

message 15: by LemonLinda (new)

LemonLinda (lwilliamson42353) | 855 comments 5.2 Read a book set in the country you would like to visit
Wild Swans: Three Daughters of China by Jung Chang
544 pp. = 6 points
HF = 0
Total = 11 - points
Grand Total = 131 points

message 16: by Luckngrace (new)

Luckngrace | 368 comments 100 super: HF by group author:Crestmont
340 pages = 4 pts
HF = 1
Total = 105
Grand Total = 179

message 17: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay | 95 comments 100: Support our HF group authors by reading one of their books.
Read: Nefertiti by Michelle Moran
Pages: 480 pgs- 4 pts
Total points: 105 pts

message 18: by Manda (new)

Manda (Manda-Jane) 10.2 Oprah Selection
Read The Story of Edgar Sawtelle
Pages - 576 6 bonus pts
total points - 16pts

20.2 New Year - New beginning
Read Misery
Pages - 370 4 bonus pts
Author Paul Sheldon after surviving psychotic Annie Wilkes has a new beginning...
Total pts - 24pts

Grand total (2 books read..) 40pts

message 19: by JenC. (new)

JenC. (jencornelius) | 484 comments Mrs. Miracle by Debbie Macomber

Task 20.2 - New Year - New beginning or second chance

Mrs. Miracle by Debbie Macomber

Two couples get a second chance / new beginning at love when Mrs. Miracle steps in. I gave this 2 stars, but seriously considered a 1 star rating. This book was so not my style. Not a great way to start the challenge!

336 pages = 4 page points

Total points = 20

Grand total = 20

message 20: by Manda (new)

Manda (Manda-Jane) Jen - shouldn't that be 24 points - 20 plus 4....

message 21: by JenC. (new)

JenC. (jencornelius) | 484 comments Janie wrote: "Jen - shouldn't that be 24 points - 20 plus 4...."

Thanks Janie! That's what I get for posting with a screaming 17mo old at my feet.....

message 22: by KristiJ (last edited Jan 07, 2011 02:04PM) (new)

KristiJ Jennings (kiki23stang) | 173 comments 20.2 In honor of New Year’s pick a book in which one of the characters is given a new beginning or a second chance

The Whiskey Rebels by David Liss
The Whiskey Rebels by David Liss

Accused of treason and drowning in whiskey for the last few years after his heroic years fighting in the American Revolution, Captain Ethan Saunders is given a second chance at a few things...

525 pages - 6 pts
HF bonus - 1 pt
Total Task Points: 27 pts

message 23: by ToniS (new)

ToniS | 204 comments 25.3 Read an HF book by an author who uses one or more pseudonyms
Read: The Tale of Holly How
Pages: 320 pgs- 4 pts
Susan Wittig Albert also writes as Robin Paige.
Total points: 30 pts
Grand total: 54 pts

message 24: by KristiJ (new)

KristiJ Jennings (kiki23stang) | 173 comments Super Bonus: 100 Point Task - Support our HF group authors by reading one of their books. These are the authors that qualify for the task:

Mistress of Rome by Kate Quinn
Mistress of Rome by Kate Quinn

544 pages: 6pts
HF Bonus: 1 pt
Total Task Points: 107 pts

message 25: by Shannon (new)

Shannon | 138 comments Task 20.2 Character gets a new beginning
Matilda by Roald Dahl
Pages: 240 - 2
Total: 22
Grand total: 29

message 26: by Luckngrace (last edited Jan 08, 2011 10:06PM) (new)

Luckngrace | 368 comments 20.3 Most popular 2010: Mockingjay
pages: 398 = 4
total = 25
grand total = 208

message 27: by Maude (new)

Maude | 993 comments Luckngrace, Your total is 209, not 194:
Captive - 30pts
Rain Fall - 14pts
Rebel - 35pts
Crestmont - 105pts
Mockingjay - 25 pts

TOTAL = 209 points

message 28: by Gayle (new)

Gayle (GretaRahikkainen) Super Bonus: 100 Point Task - Support our HF group authors by reading one of their books.

The Heretic Queenby Michelle Moran 383 pages

100 + 4 + 1 = 105 points

message 29: by Amy (new)

Amy | 243 comments Luckngrace wrote: "20.3 Most popular 2010: Mockingjay
hf = 1
total = 25
grand total = 194"

Luckngrace, I hope you enjoyed Mockingjay. I read it for the last challenge and I thought it was great. However, I don't believe it can be counted as HF. Forgive me if I'm speaking out of place, Maude, but that just struck me as a little odd. :)

message 30: by Kiri (new)

Kiri | 81 comments 5.1 - written by two or more authors
Read: The Good That Men Do: Star Trek Enterprise by Michael A. Martin & Angdy MArgalis
Pages: 464 pgs - 4 pts
HF: 0 pt
Total points: 9 pts
Grand total: 9 pts

message 31: by Maude (new)

Maude | 993 comments Luckngrace, Amy is right. I looked up Mockinjay and realize it is not historical fiction. I do try and keep up with what is and isn't but I "assumed" it was. Thank you, Amy, for bringing it to my attention. I am sure it was an oversight on both our parts.

message 32: by Kiri (new)

Kiri | 81 comments 20.2 In honor of New Year’s pick a book in which one of the characters is given a new beginning or a second chance
Read: The Far Traveler: Voyages of a Viking Woman by Nancy Marie Brown
Pages: 323 pgs - 4 pts
Total points: 25 pts
Grand total: 34 pts

Special Note: Because this book is only partially based in fact and the extrapolations done by the author to "flesh out" the persona of the characters portrayed I've given it an HF point.

message 33: by Kiri (new)

Kiri | 81 comments 50.3 Read any book with a color word in the title - example: One Thousand White Women, The Color Purple, The Red Tent, etc. (LemonLinda's Task)
Read: Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon
Pages: 752 pgs - 8 pts (I think i got the most popular version)
Total points: 59 pts
Grand total: 93 pts

message 34: by Emily (new)

Emily 10.1 Read any author's first book
Read: The Traitor's Wife by Susan Higginbotham
Pages 499- 4 pts
HF 1 pg
Total points 15 pts
Grand total 15 pts

message 35: by ToniS (new)

ToniS | 204 comments 50.1 Jen C's Task- Read any book that has been nominated for or won any literary award.
Read: Room (Nominated for the Booker Prize)
Pages: 321 - 4 points
Total points: 54

Grand total: 108

message 36: by Luckngrace (new)

Luckngrace | 368 comments Maude wrote: "Luckngrace, Your total is 209, not 194:
Captive - 30pts
Rain Fall - 14pts
Rebel - 35pts
Crestmont - 105pts
Mockingjay - 25 pts

TOTAL = 209 points"

Sorry, Maude, I can read great but I just can't "figure" as my husband used to say. Thanks for catching my mistakes.

message 37: by Luckngrace (new)

Luckngrace | 368 comments Amy wrote: "Luckngrace wrote: "20.3 Most popular 2010: Mockingjay
hf = 1
total = 25
grand total = 194"

Luckngrace, I hope you enjoyed Mockingjay. I read it ..."

I wasn't sure either, but is dystopia/post-apocalyptic or historical fantasy counted? If Maude says no, I'll abide.

message 38: by Luckngrace (new)

Luckngrace | 368 comments 50.1 JenC's Task: Won Newberry Award:Walk Two Moons
pages: 280 = 2
total = 52
grand total = 260

message 39: by Maude (new)

Maude | 993 comments The Official rule re books is this: Books must be HF if SPECIFIED HF. If no specification is made, the book can be ANY genre (but at least 200 pages).

message 40: by Brittany (new)

Brittany (bgillis) | 16 comments 100: Support our HF group authors by reading one of their books.
Read: Mistress of Rome by Kate Quinn
Pages: 470 pgs- 4 pts

message 41: by Diane Whitney (new)

Diane Whitney 50.2: Evelina's Task-Setting 60 degrees N Latitude.
The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons
Pages: 832-8pts
HF: 1pt
Total: 59pts.
Grand Total: 59pts.

message 42: by Maude (new)

Maude | 993 comments UPDATED SCOREBOARD:

Luckingrace - 260
KristiJ - 134
LemonLinda - 131
Lindsay - 105
Gayle - 105
Brittany - 105
Diane - 59
Marleen - 55
ToniS - 54
Janie - 40
Evelina - 35
Kiri - 34
Rachel - 30
Jamie - 30
Jackie - 30
Shannon - 29
JenC - 24

message 43: by Jamie (new)

Jamie  | 77 comments 100 Point Task: Support our HF group authors by reading one of their books.
Read: Mistress of Rome by Kate Quinn
Pages: 470 pgs - 4 pts
Grand total: 135 pts

message 44: by ToniS (new)

ToniS | 204 comments Maude, I'm 108. 54 was just for the latest task I posted. Unless something didn't count for some reason.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) | 3596 comments Am I supposed to be the Jamie with the 30 points?

message 46: by Evelina C (new)

Evelina C (EvelinaGuekguezian) | 58 comments 50.1 Jen's Task--nominated/won a literary award.
Lonesome Dove
945p--8pts
HF: 1
Pulitzer Prize 1985

message 47: by Jamie (new)

Jamie  | 77 comments Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "Am I supposed to be the Jamie with the 30 points?"

I had 30 points on the board at that point, actually.

message 48: by Maude (new)

Maude | 993 comments OK - I AM GOING TO TRY THIS AGAIN!
Luckingrace - 260
Jamie - 135
KristiJ - 134
LemonLinda - 131
ToniS - 108
Lindsay - 105
Gayle - 105
Brittany - 105
EvelinaC - 94
Kiri - 93
Diane - 59
Marleen - 55
Janie - 40
Rachel - 30
Jackie - 30
Shannon - 29
JenC - 24
Emily - 15

Any problems/mistakes I know I will hear about them!! I actually have no idea what happened originally. When I get a minute I will go back and see what I did or didn't do and will fix anything else in the AM.

message 49: by Maude (new)

Maude | 993 comments Jayme, As far as I can tell, you have NO points. Does this agree with you?

message 50: by Jackie, That's Her Constableness to you! (new)

Jackie (TheNightOwl) | 2936 comments Maude wrote: "Jayme, As far as I can tell, you have NO points. Does this agree with you?"

She accidentally reported them in the other Challenge #5 thread. See message 109- http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/4...

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Outlander (other topics)
The Shadowy Horses (other topics)
The Mummy Case (other topics)
Crestmont (other topics)
Captive (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Elizabeth Peters (other topics)
Holly Weiss (other topics)