Amazon Kindle discussion

Page number on a Kindle

Comments (showing 1-19 of 19) (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tracey (new)

Tracey | 15 comments I've noticed that some people write on their status what page out of how many, they are on... Now it got me thinking, on a kindle its in % i'm currently on 42%
But what are the other numbers on the page?
Locations 2948-58... Whats this mean?
and at the far right 6903 .. All these numbers and i havent a clue what they're all about.
Does anyone know?

message 2: by Terri (new)

Terri (clanmoran) | 76 comments Not sure if the number you are talking about are about (specifically), but the last number is the end of the book and the others are to help you if you want to go to a specific part of the book! Not totally sure what it ACTUALLY means (word count, percentage, etc)?!?!

message 3: by Ralph (new)

Ralph (sunwriter) | 327 comments Mod
It's paragraph number. 2948-58 means you're on paragraphs 2948-2958

message 4: by Tracey (new)

Tracey | 15 comments ah, ok.. clear as mud lol..kind of getting used to the percentage thing though.. thank you for helping

message 5: by Jeff (new)

Jeff | 33 comments FYI - Here on the site you can change your status from # of pages to % complted if you're reading on a Kindle.

message 6: by Tracey (new)

Tracey | 15 comments Jeff wrote: "FYI - Here on the site you can change your status from # of pages to % complted if you're reading on a Kindle."

I'm more confused now.. sorry to be thick but where? on which site?

message 7: by Rick (new)

Rick (officepoet) | 34 comments Tracey, when you choose the version of the book you're reading (to add it to your bookshelf), you need to make sure you pick the Kindle version. If you do, you'll automatically get the percentage option instead of page number. HTH

message 8: by Jenn (new)

Jenn (welloflostplots) | 6 comments If I'm reading on my kindle. I look at another version of it and how many pages it is. I use the percent to calculate how many virtual pages it is. I just think better in pages! I don't know if this helps or is more confusing... LOL

message 9: by Tracey (new)

Tracey | 15 comments i'm easily confused lol.. I finished my first kindle book last week without knowing! i could tell it was coming to an end by what was said yet i was only on 69%.... after that were a million pages on where to find certain things the man spoke about and then lots of pictures.
i wonder now if i'll ever see 100% been the end of a book LOL

message 10: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 336 comments it depends on the publisher...but the location numbers are actually the writing/invisible coding that you see in the book...the theory is that each location is 128 characters (seen and unseen)...

depends on the publisher - some books end at 75% and others go all the way to 100%...some of the smaller indie houses are bad, because they include previews for upcoming books at the back of theirs

message 11: by Rick (new)

Rick (officepoet) | 34 comments The exact reason for locations instead of numbers (according to Amazon) is that they're universal across all devices and platforms, and regardless of font or size screen. Which means that if you and I are reading the same book and I want to discuss a section with you, I can tell you the location number and you'll be able to find the exact spot, whether you're reading on a Kindle, iPhone, iPod touch, PC, Mac, etc. I guess page numbers are relative and can change depending on the size of the device screen or the font size. To be honest, it's more accurate and time-saving to say "location 1873" than "it's on page 235, in the second paragraph, the last sentence. I don't really LOVE location numbers, but the geek in me appreciates the technical aspect of it.

message 12: by Angela (new)

Angela (AngelaH110) | 82 comments Tracey wrote:"
I'm more confused now.. sorry to be thick but where? on which site?"

Okay, so on Goodreads, you can choose the kindle edition of a book and it has percentage options instead of page options. Also I have had my Kindle for a while and never knew that the locations meant paragraghs. So I learned something new today....

message 13: by Rick (new)

Rick (officepoet) | 34 comments You can do this after the fact as well. Just delete the book you have listed now (if you listed it as a dead tree book) and then re-list it as a Kindle book and add the percentage you're on right now. Easy peasy!

message 14: by Rick (new)

Rick (officepoet) | 34 comments I can't believe I said "easy peasy". LOL!

message 15: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 336 comments you don't even have to do that...lol! if you pull up the book profile page, off to the right, you'll see other editions...if you hover your mouse over it, you'll see the format, find the kindle one...and there will be a place where it says switch to this edition - click on that and you'll be good...and for the heck of it - its that easy peasy!

message 16: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (Newtomato) You can update ANY book with a %. From the update status, just click the word "page" and it will change the input to %. Or even cleverer, just type in "36%" and Goodreads will change the input to % for you.

message 17: by Rick (new)

Rick (officepoet) | 34 comments LOL!!! Thanks! (We're ALL learning new stuff today, hehe.)

message 18: by Jeff (last edited Dec 07, 2010 07:20AM) (new)

Jeff | 33 comments Jenn wrote: "If I'm reading on my kindle. I look at another version of it and how many pages it is. I use the percent to calculate how many virtual pages it is. I just think better in pages! I don't know if thi..."

I do this too. I wish there was a way to show page numbers on the Kindle.

message 19: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 539 comments The only place I "need" page numbers is here ... initially I was looking up the total and doing the math based on the percentage read, but since they added %complete on the update if you select the e-edition, I don't have to do that.

unread topics | mark unread