Barnes & Noble Nook discussion

Nook - The Technical Side > how do you tell if you have 3G

Comments (showing 1-20 of 20) (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by willaful, dedicated nookworm (new)

willaful | 401 comments Mod
I bought a refurbished 3G nook from Overstock and there's nothing about it that indicates to me I have 3G. I had to turn the wireless on to make anything happen (luckily we have wireless here.) How can I tell if they sent me the right thing?

Stacia (the 2010 club) (Stacia_R) Did you try going directly to the shop screen? It will ask you if you want to turn off airplane mode, and it will activate 3g if you have your wifi turned off.

message 3: by willaful, dedicated nookworm (new)

That seems to do it. Thanks, Stacia.

message 4: by Karen (new)

Karen | 4 comments willaful wrote: "I bought a refurbished 3G nook from Overstock and there's nothing about it that indicates to me I have 3G. I had to turn the wireless on to make anything happen (luckily we have wireless here.) How..."

If you look to the left of the "n" above the color screen you will see a small circle. That is the 3g model

message 5: by willaful, dedicated nookworm (new)

Hmm. I don't see one.

message 6: by Natalie (new)

Natalie (bebe33075) | 52 comments I don't have a small circle and I have 3g.

message 7: by willaful, dedicated nookworm (new)

Well, I just don't know what to think. So far, I simply don't get my ebooks unless I turn the wifi on. I guess I'm going to have to take this to one of the stores.

message 8: by willaful, dedicated nookworm (new)

Okay, I actually found something concrete: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/fe...

I do have the grey back panel, so this should have 3G. It just doesn't seem to work. :-\ I'm also having trouble getting the swipe to work sometimes. This is what I get for ordering a refurb, I suppose. Sigh.

message 9: by Natalie (new)

Natalie (bebe33075) | 52 comments I know that when I turn off the airplane mode and go to shop, if you look up at the top to the left of the battery signal if bars show up they are stepped like stairs that is the 3g signal. If you turn on your wifi then the wifi signal shows up.

message 10: by willaful, dedicated nookworm (new)

I did see the "stairs." But the books aren't being transmitted.

message 11: by willaful, dedicated nookworm (last edited Dec 04, 2010 06:49PM) (new)

I've got two black "stairs" out of four. Does that mean a weak signal? I have no problem with cell phone reception here.

Now it's down to one.

message 12: by Karen (new)

Karen | 4 comments Then you may have one of the originals. I know when the came out with the less expensive model, that was how the staff said you distinguish between the two. I have one of the originals, and I have no circle.

message 13: by JK (last edited Dec 05, 2010 11:23AM) (new)

JK (eimajtl) Willaful, are you living in an area with AT&T 3G? You could very well have the device with it, but if there's no coverage you won't really get the benefit of it.

You can check here:

http://www.wireless.att.com/coveragev...

Make sure to switch to the data tab on the map.

message 14: by willaful, dedicated nookworm (new)

Thanks for that info. It certainly looks like I should have coverage.

message 15: by willaful, dedicated nookworm (new)

I think I figured out the problem! I was ordering books while the Nook was plugged into my computer and that is not "recommended." So the books weren't downloading until my Nook was unplugged. Am going to experiment right now with downloading a book with the 3G and see if it works.

message 16: by willaful, dedicated nookworm (new)

Experiment failed because I didn't have a single 3G bar. :-( Am nerving myself up to call customer service.

message 17: by willaful, dedicated nookworm (new)

My husband took it in to a store and it worked there, so I guess it must be a coverage issue after all. No big deal, since we have wi-fi here.

Jennifer (a.k.a The Book Nympho) (TheBookNympho) willaful wrote: "I've got two black "stairs" out of four. Does that mean a weak signal? I have no problem with cell phone reception here.

Now it's down to one."

yes. it's the same as the signal bars on a cell phone. more bars mean a better signal.

Jennifer (a.k.a The Book Nympho) (TheBookNympho) willaful wrote: "My husband took it in to a store and it worked there, so I guess it must be a coverage issue after all. No big deal, since we have wi-fi here."

FYI - when you are in a B&N store you are working on their free WI-FI not the 3G.

message 20: by willaful, dedicated nookworm (new)

I'm assuming they turned the wi-fi off to test the 3G.

unread topics | mark unread