The Next Best Book Club discussion

Group Read Discussions > Do Androids Dream - Spoilers

Comments (showing 1-4 of 4) (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (TNBBC) | 8516 comments Mod
Tell me everything.... Please!

Kristi (KristiCasey) Wonderful story!

End game? Humans are just as capable of violence as androids. Humans have the same capacity for survival first empathy last as androids. There are some of us who might as well be androids with our lack of caring. More people need to be empathetic to others. We, as a species, haven't really learned. We're still heading toward self-destruction, and we have no planets to move to as they do in the book.

When you think that this book was written in 1968, and he talked about WWT? I mean how far are we really from World War Terminus? Not far, as far as I can anyways.

I love books like this. I wish more people would read them and realize we haven't advanced as far as people would care to believe we have. Our "hate" hasn't gone anywhere it's just changed where it's focused.

Of course this is all IMHO. I'm sure others got things completely different than I did out of the book. I'm an oddity, I admit it.

Karina | 32 comments Interesting story. Definitely some parallels about Androids propensity to violence as much as any human. Rick is capable to killing any Android, while submitting them to an "empathy test" which is a bit ironic to say the least.
All and all an interesting read, however I felt bad for the poor goat. Definitely should've survived for more than one night!

Kristi (KristiCasey) Yeah I think the irony is what tripped me up too. I mean, I'm not sure a lot of people could pass that test. ;)

unread topics | mark unread