Bright Young Things discussion

Group Reads Archive > Anything Goes - Chapters 6-10

Comments (showing 1-3 of 3) (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ally (new)

Ally (goodreadscomuser_allhug) | 1560 comments Mod
This is the place to discuss chapters 6-10 of...

Anything Goes A Biography of the Roaring Twenties by Lucy Moore Anything Goes: A Biography of the Roaring Twenties by Lucy Moore Lucy Moore

enjoy!

message 2: by Bronwyn (new)

Bronwyn (nzfriend) | 632 comments Well, I'm only part way through the chapter on the Klan (8, I think). I really enjoyed the chapter on industry. Being from metro-Detroit there were little things with Henry Ford that bugged me, but I don't remember specifics, and they weren't anything major. I really enjoyed the Sacco and Vanzetti chapter. I know so little about them. I'd heard of them but didn't really know what they'd supposedly done other than be anarchists. So that was really interesting. I'm enjoying the Klan chapter. Not at all to excuse them, but given the society and fears at the time you can see why they did what they did and were so popular. Still awful though; same with in the foreigners chapter where there was just so much hostility... I like this country but we suck an awful lot...

message 3: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 1381 comments I'm on Chapter 6 right now - the one that goes into cars and just how much they changed the way people live. Giving them freedom to travel far afield. True, people could take the train to destinations before. But a set of wheels sets you free.

I found it interesting that people were buying cars on time and yet they still didn't have a bathtub. Shows what people consider important.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Anything Goes: A Biography of the Roaring Twenties (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Lucy Moore (other topics)