The Next Best Book Club discussion

Looking For Recommendations > Recommendations?

Comments (showing 1-9 of 9) (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Hey there. :) Does anyone have any recommendations for books right now? I'm stuck for what to read and I'm planning on reading 50 books next year to keep me busy. What do you think I should go for?

message 2: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (TNBBC) | 8517 comments Mod
Charlotte, perhaps if you let us know what you've read recently that you really liked? Or genres that you prefer?

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Hmm, well, I do enjoy the classics, some adventure novels and I always get addicted to Sci-Fi Romance, but honestly, I'll give anything a go, unless I find it ridiculously boring. My favourite books consist of: Labyrinth, by Kate Mosse, Pride and Prejudice and A Tale of Two Cities. :)

message 4: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (TNBBC) | 8517 comments Mod
Well, let's see - I'll break em down by genre. These are books I've read pretty recently that you might like to take a peek at:

I promise none of them are boring :)

Indie Fiction:
Termite Parade - Joshua Mohr (a guy does something bad to his girlfriend, and never tells her, and lives with the guilt as it eats him alive.)
I Curse the River of Time- Per Petterson (a son deals with his mother and their different reactions to her diagnoses of cancer)
Light Boxes - Shane Jones (the month of February takes control of a small town and refuses to leave)
The Book - M. Clifford (a world where paper books are illegal and the government controls what you read on digital books. Creepily timely)

SciFi/Apocalyptic Fiction
Autumn - David Moody (a new spin on Zombies. Takes place in the UK)
The Road - Cormac McCarthy (father and son try to survive in a world that was ravaged by some unknown force)
Blindness - Jose Saramago (my all time favorite author. small town goes blind and government quarantines them)

Classics:
The Mysterious Island - Jules Verne (if you are a fan of LOST, you will fall in love with this book. If you are a fan of classics, this is a must read!)
The Count of Monte Cristo - Dumas (the best book ever written about revenge and love)

Timothy Pilgrim (oldgeezer) | 107 comments Hi Charlotte,
allow me to add a couple of 'indies' to your list.
'Clan' by David Elliot historical/fiction and a degree of horror .Not my normal fare at all, but brilliantly written.
'Cloak of Magic / Staff of Power' both by Sue Rule.
again fantasy stuff which isn't my scene, but very, very well written.
'The Life in the Woods with Joni-Pip' by Carrie King. I'm not sure how to describe this one, Y/A fantasy doesn't quite cut it. It is a big read, but once I got it away from my teenage grand daughter and her friends I had trouble putting the darned thing down! and I still haven't finished it! It is best described as brilliantly different!
Finally, if you like a good thriller then I humbly suggest 'The Day the Ravens Died' this is my current offering in my normal genre, Terrorist based action thrillers, which I write under the name Timothy Pilgrim. It is not all 'big boys and noisey toys',
Someone wrote about it 'Pick it up if you dare, put it down if you can. When you have finished think about it, sleep well!'
Rick, the moderator of 'the James Mason book club' on GR has read it, ask him what it's like.
I hope all of this helps, they are all on amazon etc.
All the best Paul Rix [oldgeezer]

Tina | 3 comments HI i am new here by the way :)
Recently I just finished "the wishing trees by John Sors" And I loved it!! Can anyone recommend a book that is quite similar? I wan a book that deals with family related issues.

message 7: by Carol (last edited Dec 11, 2010 05:05AM) (new)

Carol The Art of Devotion was quite good, a different take on the family issues though.

By the way welcome Tina. Did you go to the newbie corner and introduce yourself? This is a friendly and helpful group as you will see.

Catie (nematome) Tina, you might check out Bloodroot by Amy Greene. It follows an Appalachian family over a few generations and I found it to be really compelling. Happy Reading!

Tina | 3 comments thanks!!!!

The art of devotion seems very interesting I will pick it up soon and as for bloodroot I have already ready it but thanks anyways.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Count of Monte Cristo (other topics)
Light Boxes (other topics)
Blindness (other topics)
The Mysterious Island (other topics)
Autumn (other topics)
More...