Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

Paranormal Romance > Were-Bears

Comments (showing 1-27 of 27) (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

namericanwordcat | 221 comments For some reason, I heart were-bears.

I have read Laurenston and love her.

I just read a book by Zen Wynn called Mary and the the Bear and it was fun. Not enough were-bear world building but fun.

Anymore were-bear books out there?

Jennifer (a.k.a The Book Nympho) (TheBookNympho) I loved the were-bears in Laurenston's Pride series. They are so funny. Got to love bear lips. ;)

namericanwordcat | 221 comments You gotta and the curiousness lol.

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) | 411 comments Lol, when I saw this tread the books that you have mentioned are the ones that popped into my head! I can't think of any other were-bears!

I definiately love the bear lips! And also when he played with his toes as well, he was both completely drop dead gorgeous and incredibly adorab;e all at once!

namericanwordcat | 221 comments I may just have to read Main Squeeze again for my were-bear fix. LOL. Salmon covered in honey.

message 6: by ☺~Tina~☺ (new)

☺~Tina~☺ (Tina007) | 43 comments I LOVE the were-bears. I've been trying to track down more besides Laurenston and Wynn's book. Dana Marie Bell has one Bear Necessities by Dana Marie Bell

message 7: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 429 comments Sherrilyn Kenyon has as part of her dark hunter series were hunters as well. She has all sorts of weres, but her newest book no mercy, was about a were bear. The whole family plays a fairly prominent role in the series as a whole as it progresses. If you're interested in that. However the were byer world is tied in with the dark hunter world and you would need to start with at the beginning of the series so you're familiar with the characters. The first book is fantasy lover.

message 8: by Steph (new)

Steph (Angel4492) | 177 comments I have Bear Necessities TBR and am looking forward to it.

I think the only were-bear I've read about was in Rachel Vincent's Shifters series. No hook-up though, just a side character.

Great thread, though, it'll help me find some too. :)

message 9: by ☺~Tina~☺ (new)

☺~Tina~☺ (Tina007) | 43 comments Oh yeah I forgot about Kenyon series. I've read all those up to No Mercy.

message 10: by Lora (new)

Lora Tihomirova (Luxuria) | 313 comments Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Blake series has were-bears, I think.
It's just, the series isn't focused on them as a whole, just mentioned as one of the many kinds wereanimals.

LethalLovely~This City's Made Us Crazy & We Must Get Out (LethalLovely) | 453 comments I don't know why, but the title of this thread tickles me. Were-bears. Like Winnie the Pooh going down on Kanga. Or Smoky the Bear fighting forest fires with his penis. o_O

Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim) (Jim_formerly_Photojim) | 80 comments LL, I thought shape shifting Care Bears. But Smoky the 'Bare'? And don't be silly. Everybody knows that Pooh and Kanga are so over. From what I hear, Tigger is 'bouncy bouncy bouncy bouncy fun fun fun fun fun!' and there is only one special pink friend he can make squeal like a pig. And knowing what was and can never be again is what makes Eeyore so sad.

The only were-bear I can actaully think of though is Beorn in The Hobbit: Or There and Back Again.

LethalLovely~This City's Made Us Crazy & We Must Get Out (LethalLovely) | 453 comments Photojim wrote: "LL, I thought shape shifting Care Bears. But Smoky the 'Bare'? And don't be silly. Everybody knows that Pooh and Kanga are so over. From what I hear, Tigger is 'bouncy bouncy bouncy bouncy fun ..."

LMAO! I can always count on you for a laugh when I'm in emo-land, Jim. =)

message 14: by Shannon (last edited Nov 28, 2010 06:00PM) (new)

Shannon C. | 69 comments JenniferY wrote: "I loved the were-bears in Laurenston's Pride series. They are so funny. Got to love bear lips. ;)"

Oh, I agree. They are the best! That series is hiliarious. Love what those lips can do! ha ha And their personalities are great!

There are werebears as secondary characters in the Kate Daniels series by Ilona Andrews. The lead characters are a magic user/sword fighter and a lion shifter. It's a great urban fantasy series--mix of action, suspense, mystery, humor and a little romance.

message 15: by AgtDianaPrince (new)

AgtDianaPrince | 13 comments Question:

Can Shelly Laurenston's Pride series be read out of order? I think I want to try reading #4 but I havent read any of the previous in the series....

message 16: by ☺~Tina~☺ (new)

☺~Tina~☺ (Tina007) | 43 comments Davina wrote: "Question:

Can Shelly Laurenston's Pride series be read out of order? I think I want to try reading #4 but I havent read any of the previous in the series...."

You could probably get away with reading them out of order. But the characters carry over in the stories. I think you would like all of them though.

message 17: by AgtDianaPrince (new)

AgtDianaPrince | 13 comments You are probably right Tina, and I really hate reading a series out of order, especially if I end up loving the books.

message 18: by Shannon (new)

Shannon C. | 69 comments Davina wrote: "Question:

Can Shelly Laurenston's Pride series be read out of order? I think I want to try reading #4 but I havent read any of the previous in the series...."

From personal experience, YES. I started w/The Mane Attraction and it read fine as a standalone. It totally hooked me and I quickly ordered the others in the series. Book 4 Mane Squeeze was one of my favs and I think it would also read fine as a standalone.

(The only caveat is I would add is that I wouldn't read #5 w/out reading #4 first b/c there is a major story arc that crosses both books.)

message 19: by Keri (new)

Keri | 158 comments Cali wrote: "For some reason, I heart were-bears.

I have read Laurenston and love her.

I just read a book by Zen Wynn called Mary and the the Bear and it was fun. Not enough were-bear world building but f..."

Don't 4get her book Beast Behaving Badly, book 5 in her Pride series!

message 20: by new_user (new)

new_user | 1385 comments I love the idea of were-bears. I'd love to see more of them! And other neat shfiters for that matter!

message 21: by Sandra J (last edited Nov 29, 2010 05:41AM) (new)

Sandra J Weaver (sandraweaver) | 397 comments And I fell in love with Loch in The Mane Squeeze (Pride, #4) by Shelly Laurenston, so adorable in a ferocious sort of way. I feel a reread coming on. I certainly think the book works as a stand alone although I have read all of them (not necessarily in order). I have to get the Dana Marie Bell book!

message 22: by MelissaB (last edited Nov 29, 2010 05:46AM) (new)

MelissaB (MelissaAnn) | 16 comments My favorite were bears so far have been The Mane Squeeze and Beast Behaving Badly by Shelly Laurenston and Bear Necessities by Dana Marie Bell.

There was a thread about this on Amazon's paranormal romance board a little while ago, I tried Mary and the Bear and it was okay. I bought a few others based on the thread that I haven't had a chance to try yet.

message 23: by Keri (new)

Keri | 158 comments I absolutely LOVE Shelly Laurenston's books. She's SUCH a great author and has a wonderful sense of humor she conveys in her books....can't say enough good things about her and all her series.... :)

message 24: by ☺~Tina~☺ (new)

☺~Tina~☺ (Tina007) | 43 comments Keri wrote: "I absolutely LOVE Shelly Laurenston's books. She's SUCH a great author and has a wonderful sense of humor she conveys in her books....can't say enough good things about her and all her series.... :)"

I totally agree! I haven't read not one book of her's that I didn't like.

message 25: by Paranormal (new)

Paranormal Haven (ParanormalHaven) | 81 comments Were-bears are part of Sherrilyn Kenyon's Dark Hunter series. Dev Peltier is SOOO hot :-)

message 26: by Stacie (new)

Stacie H. (StacieMH) | 73 comments Another one with a were-bear side character is Kerrelyn Sparks' Love at Stake series. The were-bear, Howard Barr, is kind of cute and funny.

message 27: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (Iftcan) | 2430 comments Mod
Hey--leave Howard ALONE--he belongs to ME. :oP But yeah, he really is kind of yummy, in a totally hot way.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Bear Necessities (other topics)
Bear Necessities (other topics)
The Hobbit (other topics)
The Mane Squeeze (other topics)