SciFi and Fantasy Book Club discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Old, Closed Posts > December Theme: Pirates/High Sea Nominations

Comments (showing 51-81 of 81) (81 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Philip Santoyo | 10 comments how about for the SciFI end Trading in Danger by Elizabeth Moon or any of the books in vattas war are very good. Although this one only deals loosely with piracy(on the high...spaces) the rest are focused strongly on it.

message 52: by Jeffrey (last edited Nov 24, 2010 12:03PM) (new)

Jeffrey | 193 comments I second Icerigger by Alan Dean Foster. We need more science fiction pirates

Jeffrey | 193 comments I nominate Sassinak by Anne MCCaffrey and Elizabeth Moon a space pirate book second to none.

Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides (upsight) | 542 comments Is this supposed to be fantasy-only? Just wondering. I figured it was, since Cindy is the fantasy czar, but please tell me if I'm wrong/crazy.

message 55: by Candiss (last edited Nov 24, 2010 12:28PM) (new)

Candiss (Tantara) Nikki wrote: "Is this supposed to be fantasy-only? Just wondering. I figured it was, since Cindy is the fantasy czar, but please tell me if I'm wrong/crazy."

I believe you are right. According to the December SF poll, December's SF book is The Word for World is Forest by Ursula K. Le Guin. I was under the impression that the pirate theme won for Fantasy specifically.

Naithin | 3 comments Put me down as another for Ship of Magic, by Robin Hobb. It's a fantastic series, I prefer Hobb's Farseer Trilogy/Tawny Man trilogy, but this one is still amazing AND fits the theme AND falls within the Fantasy umbrella. :)

Jeffrey | 193 comments If we are talking only about fantasy then I will second The Red Wolf Conspiracy which is fantasy.

I will nominate inda by Sherwood Smith a rollicking good pirate novel

edifanob Beniowa79 wrote (message 26)
"I don't have a second as both of mine have already been done, but I'll throw out Pirate Freedom by Gene Wolfe."

Therefore I would like to nominate Pirate Freedom by Gene Wolfe.

Julia | 531 comments How about Wen Spencer's, Endless Blue. It's definitely sci-fi, has high seas, pirates, etc.

And one of the best books I read three years ago. Seconded.
Endless Blue by Wen Spencer

David Brown | 10 comments Pastwatch: The Redemption of Christopher Columbus by Orson Scott Card is a great alternate history science fiction that involves Columbus and other seafaring exploration...

message 61: by Cindy (last edited Nov 24, 2010 03:49PM) (new)

Cindy I second Pirate Freedom

Ok I am holding nominations at the moment until I can get a chance to count and figure out if they fit the bill of fantasy.

Just a note: Should Mermaid's Madness win I am pretty sure I could work something out with the author to do a group Q and A or something. Let me look into it ;)

And no you aren't crazy it's Fantasy I should have put that in the title.

Cindy Okay I believe I have the final list. Though I do seek some help with The Scar... I read the description and it's not coming off as a fantasy book, anyone read it and want to help me out with it?

The other nominations were all great but they were sci-fi and this was the Fantasy theme for December. I am so sorry to not put that in the title but it was late and I just wanted nominations to get underway.

So far I have:
On Stranger Tides
Treasure Island
Ship of Magic
Mermaid's Madness (I know it's the second of a series but it can be a stand alone. I've read it :))
Red Wolf Conspiracy
Pirate Freedom

The last would be the Scar. I am seeking another opinion of someone who read it but feel free to toss your opinions in.

message 63: by Candiss (last edited Nov 24, 2010 04:15PM) (new)

Candiss (Tantara) Cindy wrote: "Okay I believe I have the final list. Though I do seek some help with The Scar... I read the description and it's not coming off as a fantasy book, anyone read it and want to help me out with it?

..."

Cindy - Besides winning the British Fantasy Award and being shelved as Fantasy by most Goodreads readers, it's full of magical alteration and mythic sea creatures.

Bryan (blyoung) | 19 comments I did a quick google search and came up with this book - looks like fantasy, and the cover blurb says pirates.

Corsair by Chris Bunch
Corsair by Chris Bunch

Linette | 11 comments I'll second Ship of Magic as well, as it would have been my first.

Geoffrey (Geoffreys) | 44 comments Sarah Pi wrote: "The Princess Bride - pirates and fantasy."

Is this a kissing book?

gotta second this one ...

Sara (shadowsdogs) | 1 comments The one I thought of was already named Pirate Latitudes by Michael Crichton.

Julia | 531 comments Pirates! by Celia Rees

Pirates! by Celia Rees. It's YA, historical fiction and the primary pirates of the cover are girls. When I read it a few years ago I loved it.

Cindy Thank you Candiss! I looked and saw it was sci-fi/fantasy shelved so I just wanted to double check :)

The nominations are closed as I have 7 books that are already to be voted on :).

Voting shall start as soon as I get the poll up :)

Bill I'm not sure these qualify as pirate, but they are fantasy; Conan the Buccaneer and Conan of the Isles. I also liked an earlier suggestion of The Princess Bride: S. Morgenstern's Classic Tale of True Love and High Adventure

Sandra  (Sleo) Why is Stormwarden not on the list? Treasure Island is not a fantasy.

Sarah (Chrysalis_stage) | 10 comments Sorry but I find it funny 'The Scar' didn't come across as obvious fantasy, if someone read it and said it wasn't, they'd need their head checking! It blows treasure island out of the water.

Sandra  (Sleo) Sure, Treasure Island was good -- when I was 15. Seems like if it's a book people want to read, then they should read it. But doesn't seem like it ought to be on a BOM list for a Scifi and Fantasy Book Club.

Jed (specklebang) | 110 comments I'll "third" The Scar. Terrific book. One of my beloved cats is named Bellis from the anti-hero of The Scar.

Sandra  (Sleo) Sarah wrote: "Sorry but I find it funny 'The Scar' didn't come across as obvious fantasy, if someone read it and said it wasn't, they'd need their head checking! It blows treasure island out of the water."

It looks to me like The Scar is a fantasy. Isn't that all China Mieville writes?

Sarah (Chrysalis_stage) | 10 comments Yes as far as I'm aware :)

Jed (specklebang) | 110 comments Actually, The Scar is "technically" Steampunk, sort of. Certainly closer to Fantasy than Science Fiction.

message 78: by ♥Xeni♥ (last edited Nov 25, 2010 02:12PM) (new)

♥Xeni♥ (Xeni) | 457 comments I just stumbled across A Pirate of Her Own by Kinley MacGregor (which is a pseudonym for Sherrilyn Kenyon) in my ebook collection.

It's more romantic fantasy, but just in case someone is looking for more piratey novels, there is that one!

Tristan | 10 comments I'm seconding On Stranger Tides. This is extremely fun and inspired the Pirates of the Caribbean movies (especially the next one) and the Monkey Island computer game franchise.

The Princess Bride is probably the best book in the list but it's fairly well known so I'd venture to guess that many members have already read it.

Gene Wolfe's book is probably good too. I'm a huge fan of his New Sun and Wizard Knight series.

Dementia Armand (dementiaarmand) | 1 comments Ha ha, I gotta vote for a classic (as I don't much read pirate/high seas books myself) with Moby-Dick or, The Whale

Robin (RobinSullivan) | 348 comments I'll second Red Wolf Conspiracy - I know it is "high seas" - not sure if it has pirates or not.

« previous 1 2 next »
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Pirate Latitudes (other topics)
Pirate Latitudes (other topics)
Treasure Island (other topics)
The Scar (other topics)
Stormwarden (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Michael Crichton (other topics)
China Miéville (other topics)
Robin Hobb (other topics)