The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

WINTER CHALLENGE 2010-2011: ASIA > Winter Challenge 2010-2011 - completed task posts with ?/problems

Comments (showing 151-200 of 255) (255 new)    post a comment »

message 151: by Zooey (new)

Zooey (Zooey_Iding) | 10 comments Dear Sandy,

I DID mention it in the #654 post, I wrote it down here:

This post: 45 points
Tasks complete: 2
-------> Claiming one big book ticket >500 pages
Total points: 45 points

Probably not the best place to put it, I guess. I promise I will never post again while (slightly) intoxicated and bold/underline/stress it better in my next post.

Thank you! :)

message 152: by Kim (new)

Kim (goodreadscomkimber) | 731 comments Sorry, I thought if you had to read three books to make the page total of 800, the third book could be whatever I chose as long as it was YA. I'll find something else.

message 153: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 9851 comments Mod
Kim wrote: "Sorry, I thought if you had to read three books to make the page total of 800, the third book could be whatever I chose as long as it was YA. I'll find something else."

Sorry, the way the task was written, each book has to be from a different subgenre, no matter how many you had to read.

message 154: by Sandy (last edited Jan 24, 2011 07:09AM) (new)

JENGER post 1513

For task 30.7, the protagonist(s) must be between 13 and 21. In The Fairy-Tale Detectives, the girls are younger. The Amazon descriptions also note that this book is for ages 9-12.

Also, I noted that you didn't have a standalone, because you listed Ella Enchanted as a series book - that's a standalone, so you'll want to change that description when you repost the task, so that you've got both the series and the standalone covered.

message 155: by Sandy (new)

LISA MD post 1535

For task 20.5, the book must be about an unconventional woman, one who defies society, etc. Could you explain how Let's Take the Long Way Home: A Memoir of Friendship fits this? From the descriptions I've found, neither the subject of the book nor the author seem to have actively defied societal norms, acted unconventionally, etc., but since I haven't read the book, it's hard to tell.

message 156: by Lisa (last edited Jan 24, 2011 07:18PM) (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 540 comments Sandy wrote: " LISA MD post 1535

For task 20.5, the book must be about an unconventional woman, one who defies society, etc. Could you explain how Let's Take the Long Way Home: A Memoir of Friendship ....

Carolyn Knapp, the subject of the book, was an author and alcoholic. She wrote a book, Drinking: A Love Story, which detailed her struggles with alcoholism. She described herself as a "merry recluse". She also titled another book by this name. I consider her reclusiveness and very public struggle with alcoholism unconventional. She also waited until she was diagnosed with terminal cancer to get married. I also consider this to be unconventional. The book was a tribute to Knapp by a friend.

message 157: by Sandy (new)

Lisa wrote: "I consider her reclusiveness and very public struggle with alcoholism unconventional. She also waited until she was diagnosed with terminal cancer to get married. I also consider this to be unconventional. The book was a tribute to Knapp by a friend.."

I'm going to run this one by the task creators.

message 158: by Sandy (new)

Lisa wrote: " I consider her reclusiveness and very public struggle with alcoholism unconventional. She also waited until she was diagnosed with terminal cancer to get married. I also consider this to be unconventional. .."

I've checked with the task creator, and this one won't work. Being a recovering alcolic, even one who talks about it publicly, doesn't make one "larger than life," nor does remaining single until diagnosed with a terminal illness.

You may want to check out the help thread on this task to get more ideas for this one.

message 159: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 540 comments Sandy wrote: "Lisa wrote: " I consider her reclusiveness and very public struggle with alcoholism unconventional. She also waited until she was diagnosed with terminal cancer to get married. I also consider this..."

Thanks Sandy. I've found another place for that book, and I have another book for this task, which will work.

message 160: by Lulu (new)

Lulu (robotwitch) | 137 comments Sandy wrote: " LULU post 1476

You've already posted for task 5.3."

Sorry, that's what I get for not paying proper attention to things.

Reposted, #1567!

message 161: by Sandy (new)

Lisa wrote: "Thanks Sandy. I've found another place for that book, and I have another book for this task, which will work.

Great! I'm glad you were able to shuffle these around.

message 162: by JenC. (new)

JenC. (jencornelius) | 553 comments Kristi - I think one of my big books was overlooked. My numbers were the same as yours until just before the midpoint. I posted "The Book Thief" in post 1288, which should have put me at 8 BB tickets, but I have 7 on your list before the midpoint. Would you like me to list my books and page counts? Thanks!

message 163: by Kristina Simon (last edited Jan 28, 2011 04:10PM) (new)

Kristina Simon (KristinaSimon) | 8122 comments Mod
JenC. wrote: "Kristi - I think one of my big books was overlooked. My numbers were the same as yours until just before the midpoint. I posted "The Book Thief" in post 1288, which should have put me at 8 BB tic..."

Here are the books I have for you leading up to the midpoint:

The Fiery Cross -- post 429 1000+ pages = 3 tickets
The Poisonwood Bible -- post 1021 -- 500+ pages = 1 ticket
A Breath of Snow and Ashes -- post 1130 -- 750+ pages = 2 tickets
The Book Thief -- post 1288 -- 500+ pages = 1 ticket

Am I missing one? If so, what post was it in?

message 164: by JenC. (new)

JenC. (jencornelius) | 553 comments Kristi (Passion for the Page) wrote: "JenC. wrote: "Kristi - I think one of my big books was overlooked. My numbers were the same as yours until just before the midpoint. I posted "The Book Thief" in post 1288, which should have put ..."

ok - I see the problem, I thought 1000+ was 4 tickets, not three. So the books are correct, I need to subtract one for The Fiery Cross. So when you get to post 1600 I will add 3 more to that for a total of 10, not 11 as I have listed in that post. Thank you!

message 165: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey (Babies, Books, and Beyond) (MamaMunky) | 172 comments Sandy, I have a question. Ashley FL said she would accept The Heretic Queen for task 20.5 (bigger than life). So I was going to switch that and Cleopatra's Daughter which I would now use for the historical fiction part of 20.4. Do I need to repost that in the completed tasks? My total would now be 175.

message 166: by Sandy (new)

Lindsey wrote: "Sandy, I have a question. Ashley FL said she would accept The Heretic Queen for task 20.5 (bigger than life). So I was going to switch that and Cleopatra's Daughter which I would now use for the hi..."

A repost would really help keep things straight.
thanks!

message 167: by Sandy (new)

JENGER post 1665

Your repost for task 30.7 isn't going to work, because you now have 2 series books, no standalones. You could use Ella Enchanted and New Moon - that would give you 2 subgenres, one series and one standalone and enough pages.

You'd have to find somewhere else to put Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging (maybe the first part of 15.3?) and find a different book for 15.7.

message 168: by Sandy (new)

MEAGAN post 1677

For task 10.6, unless your book title includes the word "cookie," you need to include the name of the cookie variety that is referenced in the title of your book.

message 169: by Jenger (new)

Jenger | 76 comments In 2 posts I have forgotten to include which books were eligible for Big Book tickets. Do I go back and add that as a separate post in the "Winter Challenge 2010-2011 Completed Tasks (do not delete any posts)" area or does telling you here suffice?

The books are:
New Moon by Stephenie Meyer (563 pages) in post #1665/1682

and

Twilight by Stephenie Meyer (544 pages) in post #1683

Thanks so much for your help!

message 170: by Sandy (last edited Jan 30, 2011 04:20PM) (new)

Jenger wrote: "In 2 posts I have forgotten to include which books were eligible for Big Book tickets. Do I go back and add that as a separate post in the "Winter Challenge 2010-2011 Completed Tasks (do not delete..."

Please do a separate post in the completed tasks thread with this info - that will make it easier for Kristi to pick up the info.
Thanks!

message 171: by Jenger (new)

Jenger | 76 comments Sandy wrote: "Jenger wrote: "In 2 posts I have forgotten to include which books were eligible for Big Book tickets. Do I go back and add that as a separate post in the "Winter Challenge 2010-2011 Completed Tasks..."

Thank you!

message 172: by Jenger (new)

Jenger | 76 comments In 2 posts I have forgotten to include which books were eligible for Big Book tickets.

The books are:

and

message 173: by Sandy (new)

ERIN posts 1701, 1702

There are several people named Erin on the readerboard. Please repost, including your readerboard name.

thanks!

message 174: by Sandy (new)

KRISTINA MARIE post 1717

Task 5.6 requires a book with more than 25,000 ratings. Room only has 11,219, so won't work for this task.

message 175: by Sandy (new)

STACY CT post 1734

A subtitle has to be listed as part of the goodreads title. A Christmas Story is not listed as part of the title of Wishin' and Hopin'. It appears to be a description of the book that's listed on the cover. So, it doesn't work for a book with ASIA in the title or author.

message 176: by Sandy (new)

LISA MD post 1741

Task 10.9 requires that the book be the latest in a series of at least 3 books and identified as a series on Goodreads. The Sentryshows (Joe Pike) in parentheses, and I saw that there was a (Joe Pike #1) on another book - is there a Joe Pike #2?

message 177: by Lisa (last edited Feb 01, 2011 06:24PM) (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 540 comments Sandy wrote: "LISA MD post 1741

Task 10.9 requires that the book be the latest in a series of at least 3 books and identified as a series on Goodreads. The Sentryshows (Joe Pike) in parenthese..."

Robert Crais classifies his series "Elvis Cole/Joe Pike". He doesn't separate this series out, because they both appear in all books. Joe Pike does have 3 books where he is featured over Cole, and "The Sentry" is the third book where he takes the lead, and Cole takes the backseat. The First Rule is the second book in which Pike has the main role. I've also attached a link to Crais's website, which he lists the books in the Cole/Pike series : http://www.robertcrais.com/novels_ord...

message 178: by Christine US (new)

Christine US (ChristineUS) | 561 comments Hello! I thought I had 390 points, but the readerboard only shows 375. I looked through this, but don't see where I need to re-do something. I got credit for the GR author for the only 15 point task I posted, so I assume those points counted.
Did I do bad math? or was the total on the readerboard an error?

message 179: by Sandy (last edited Feb 02, 2011 06:27AM) (new)

Christine US wrote: "Hello! I thought I had 390 points, but the readerboard only shows 375. I looked through this, but don't see where I need to re-do something. I got credit for the GR author for the only 15 point t..."

Please doublecheck your math. In your 1/17 post, you had 255 points. In your latest post, you added 120 new points - that adds up to 375. I'm pretty sure my math is correct on this one, because I do it on the spreadsheet.

message 180: by Lynda (new)

Lynda | 48 comments I was just wondering if there was a problem with one of my recently completed tasks. I posted two messages to the Completed Task thread yesterday but only received credit for one. Please let me know. Thanks.

message 181: by Sandy (new)

Lynda wrote: "I was just wondering if there was a problem with one of my recently completed tasks. I posted two messages to the Completed Task thread yesterday but only received credit for one. Please let me kno..."

Fixed - sorry!

message 182: by Sandy (new)

Lisa wrote: "Sandy wrote: "LISA MD post 1741

Task 10.9 requires that the book be the latest in a series of at least 3 books and identified as a series on Goodreads. The Sentryshows (Joe Pike) i..."

thanks for the additional information - it's not always easy to tell from the info available!

message 183: by Lynda (new)

Lynda | 48 comments Sandy wrote: "Lynda wrote: "I was just wondering if there was a problem with one of my recently completed tasks. I posted two messages to the Completed Task thread yesterday but only received credit for one. Ple..."

Much Thanks!

message 184: by Sandy (new)

PINKY ROCKS POST 1784

For task 5.6, the book you use must have more than 25,000 ratings - the book you chose only had 18,137.

For task 30.5, Iceland was specifically disapproved in the help thread (post 3) as one of the countries for part A.

message 185: by Sandy (new)

JENN RENEE post 1787

Task 15.5 requires a book about "a war in Asia." The book you used was about WWII and appears to have been set in the US and Poland. For a WWII book to work, it needs to have been set in one of the Asian countries involved.

message 186: by Sandy (new)

STESSE post 1790

Task 25.2 requires that you read two books read by the moderators in 2010. Proofiness: The Dark Arts of Mathematical Deception won't work, since I just read it in the last week.

message 187: by Stesse (new)

Stesse | 271 comments Sandy wrote: " STESSE post 1790

Task 25.2 requires that you read two books read by the moderators in 2010. Proofiness: The Dark Arts of Mathematical Deception won't work, since I just read it..."

Oops. Guess I messed up the sort on the list! Okay, I'll find another book. I liked Proofiness, though! It really made me read the headlines in a different way!!!

message 188: by Sandy (new)

Stesse wrote: "Sandy wrote: " STESSE post 1790

Task 25.2 requires that you read two books read by the moderators in 2010. Proofiness: The Dark Arts of Mathematical Deception won't work, since I ..."

It was definitely a good read!

message 189: by Sandy (new)

FRAN post 1812

The challenge rules state
If no printed edition of a book exists, you MUST get the book pre-approved by a moderator in the topic "eBook verification-no print edition" in General Help.

The book you used for task 5.3 is an ebook with no printed edition. How did you determine the page count?

message 190: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (JennReneeRead) | 1168 comments Sandy wrote: " JENN RENEE post 1787

Task 15.5 requires a book about "a war in Asia." The book you used was about WWII and appears to have been set in the US and Poland. For a WWII book to work, it needs to ..."

Thanks! There is another task I can use this book for so I will repost!

message 191: by Sandy (new)

JANET post 1882

Task 10.7 requires that you read a book from your favorite genre that was reviewed on Bookpage.com. I was not able to find Essex County Volume 2: Ghost Stories on that site. Could you provide a link to it?

Thanks.

message 192: by Fran (new)

Fran | 735 comments Sandy wrote: " FRAN post 1812

If no printed edition of a book exists, you MUST get the book pre-approved by a moderator in the topic "eBook verification-no print edition" in General..."

I'm sorry Sandy! I totally forgot to get it approved first. On the author's website the book is listed as Novel Plus. And I went by the number of locations on my kindle, which was substantial. I borrowed the book and have already returned it so I don't have the exact location count, but it is at least novel length, that's why I estimated at least 200 pages, I think it's more though. But since I don't have an exact page count I can replace it with something else if you want, no problem. Sorry about that.

message 193: by Sandy (new)

Fran wrote: "Sandy wrote: " FRAN post 1812

If no printed edition of a book exists, you MUST get the book pre-approved by a moderator in the topic "eBook verification-no print editi..."

The mods have done some research since you posted this, and this book appears to meet the 100 page limit, so you can use it.

It's easier for us, though, if you get these approved first! When you post in the approval thread, the more info you can provide, the better.
Thanks!

message 194: by Jenger (new)

Jenger | 76 comments If this is a duplicate posting I apologize.

In 2 posts I have forgotten to include which books were eligible for Big Book tickets.

The books are:

and

message 195: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (KristinaSimon) | 8122 comments Mod
Jenger wrote: "If this is a duplicate posting I apologize.

In 2 posts I have forgotten to include which books were eligible for Big Book tickets.

The books are:
New Moon by Stephenie Meyer (563 pages) in post #..."

Jenger, if you look in message #5 of the Readerboard thread, you'll see that you've been credited with BB tickets for both of those books.

message 196: by Pinky_rocks (new)

Pinky_rocks | 68 comments Sandy wrote: "PINKY ROCKS POST 1784

For task 5.6, the book you use must have more than 25,000 ratings - the book you chose only had 18,137.

For task 30.5, Iceland was specifically disapproved in the help t..."

I only looked at a list with ratings, and Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers was on it. If you look at this page: http://www.goodreads.com/work/edition... you'll find that in brackets it says it has over 26000 ratings, even though when you click on the book link it goes back to 18221...Maybe I was mislead, but I only looked at the list.

And I guess you mean task 30.3?

message 197: by Sandy (last edited Feb 08, 2011 05:07PM) (new)

Pinky_rocks wrote: "Sandy wrote: "PINKY ROCKS POST 1784

For task 5.6, the book you use must have more than 25,000 ratings - the book you chose only had 18,137.."

It's pretty clear that this book does not have more than 25,000 ratings - however, since you relied on the list with what appears to be misinformation and didn't look at the actual book page, we'll let you have it.

and yes, I did mean 30.3.

message 198: by Sandy (new)

LULU post 1920

You already posted task 20.6.

message 199: by Sandy (new)

BRENDA MO post 1922

Little Bee by Chris Cleave won't work for task 30.8, because it doesn't have the letters "ASIA" in either the title or the author.

I didn't change your previous score, since I wasn't sure you would still want to move the previous 30.8 book to another task.

message 200: by Sandy (new)

KAREN post 1926
there's more than one Karen on the readerboard. Please repost, with your readerboard name.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Best Christmas Pageant Ever: A Novel Teaching Pack (other topics)
Ramona Quimby, age 8 by Beverly Cleary: A novel study (other topics)
The Interpretation of Murder (other topics)
The 19th Wife (other topics)
The Lost Symbol (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Jed Rubenfeld (other topics)
Neil Gaiman (other topics)
Clay Griffith (other topics)
Chris Cleave (other topics)
Julie Kenner (other topics)
More...