Young Adult Book Reading Challenges discussion

Personalized recommendations > DEAD! DULL! BORING! HELP!

Comments (showing 1-42 of 42) (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Scribble (last edited Nov 22, 2010 03:43AM) (new)

Scribble Orca (ScribbleOrca) I loved Harry Potter. I can't stand to read about zombies, werewolves, and vampires (sparkly or any other variety). I don't want a long, heavy duty, overly descriptive series. I'm anti-gore and anti-violence (dull and boring, I know. But I am :D).

Percy Jackson was nice and fast, BUT (there's always one, isn't there? :D), I'd like a little more depth. I've read The Novice (in German, it was better than the English) but that kinda started dragging, so I haven't chased down the rest of the series.

Nothing to do with kids killing other kids, please (I live in a part of the world where there is enough not nice stuff happening that I don't want to read about it), and I'm not into romance, either (a bit is ok, but a little bit).

Can you help me out, please? Got a book you think I'd like? I'm very grateful for your suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

message 2: by Malcolm (new)

Malcolm Walker (MalcolmWalker) You could try The Stone Crown

message 3: by Scribble (last edited Nov 22, 2010 04:22AM) (new)

Scribble Orca (ScribbleOrca) Thanks Malcolm. Is your book available as an e-version, please? (Bookstores are not plentiful around here.)

message 4: by Rollie (new)

Rollie (zheick) | 9 comments We have the same problem G M..haha

Angela Sunshine (AngelaSunshine) I really liked Elsewhere by Gabrielle Zevin. It's a stand-alone, but pretty entertaining.

I, Coriander by Sally Gardner was a light fantasy read.

And Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones was good. It's part of a series, I've only read the first one.

message 6: by Scribble (new)

Scribble Orca (ScribbleOrca) Thanks for that AngelaSunshine - I'll go chase those up.

message 7: by Tatiana (new)

Tatiana (tatiana_g) How about The Thief?

message 8: by Scribble (new)

Scribble Orca (ScribbleOrca) Will have a shot, thank you Tatiana.

message 9: by Brenda (new)

Brenda (brlemon) | 149 comments There is a series of books about girl witches called Daughters of the Moon that I would recommend. I would also recommend reading some books by Laurie Stolarz: http://www.lauriestolarz.com/

message 10: by Scribble (last edited Nov 22, 2010 12:32PM) (new)

Scribble Orca (ScribbleOrca) Thank you, Brenda. Thanks for your suggestions :D.

message 11: by Tatiana (new)

Tatiana (tatiana_g) One more I think you might like:

When You Reach Me

message 12: by Scribble (new)

Scribble Orca (ScribbleOrca) Thanks, Tatiana. Just had a quick squizz at your review and the book sounds great. (Maybe I should have asked for middle-grade recommendations?) :D

message 13: by Tatiana (new)

Tatiana (tatiana_g) Maybe:) They are definitely lighter on gore and violence The best source of great chidren's/mid-grade books is the list of Newbery winners and honorees:

http://www.goodreads.com/award/show/2...

http://www.goodreads.com/award/show/1...

message 14: by Scribble (new)

Scribble Orca (ScribbleOrca) And the next best is right here!!! Thanks again.

message 15: by Tara (last edited Nov 22, 2010 05:57PM) (new)

Tara Not sure if this is what you are looking for but
have you tried Prophecy of the Sisters? There is a bit of death, but not too bad in the grand scheme of things.
I liked the The Graveyard Book, but I am trying to think if it would be too slow.

message 16: by Rollie (new)

Rollie (zheick) | 9 comments How about City of Bones?

message 17: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Try The Witches of Eileanan series by Kate Forsyth. The first book is called (depending where you are at) The Witches of Eileanan or Dragonclaw.

The Witches of Eileanan (The Witches of Eileanan, #1) by Kate Forsyth

message 18: by Malcolm (new)

Malcolm Walker (MalcolmWalker) G N wrote: "Thanks Malcolm. Is your book available as an e-version, please? (Bookstores are not plentiful around here.)"

Whereabouts are you located - roughly?

message 19: by Scribble (new)

Scribble Orca (ScribbleOrca) Tara, Rollie, Deborah, thank you. I'm going to have a whole bookshelf of 'to-read'! Malcolm, thanks, your book is available in Australia and I'll be there early January, so that's probably the best place to buy the hard copy.

message 20: by Julie (new)

Julie S. | 23 comments While these are not specific suggestions on books to read, I would like to mention a few websites that might help if books are not available.

http://books.google.com/bkshp?hl=en&a...
GoogleBooks has full copies of books that are out of copyright, which means that you can read many classics there.

http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page
Same idea. Free ebooks because they are out of copyright.

message 21: by Harlequin Books (new)

Harlequin Books (HarlequinBooks) | 32 comments A classic my daughter is reading now are the fantasy books by David and Leigh Eddings or have you tried Piers Anthony, Terry Brooks, or Anne McCaffery. For some more recent reads, I would suggest Maria V. Snyder's series that started with Posion Study. I think you would enjoy several of our LUNA books and some of our Teen line. Good luck!

message 22: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Just started the Mary Russell series by Laurie R. King. I am really enjoying it so far. Book one is The Beekeeper's Apprentice and is available in e-book format.

message 23: by Scribble (new)

Scribble Orca (ScribbleOrca) I really appreciate that people keep popping in and leaving their personal recommendations. Thank you!

Julie, you've reminded me also how forgetful I am...I've been meaning to have a look at those links! Thanks for jogging the old grey matter. (Now what does this other knot in my handkerchief mean?)

message 24: by Emmy (new)

Emmy I really liked the ranger's apprentice series, it was fun and a pretty fast read, also the abhorsen trilogy by garth nix is my favorite series of all time :)
The Ruins of Gorlan
SabrielLirael

message 25: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Seigel (rachelns) | 3 comments I love Skullduggery Pleasant by Derek Landy. They are extremely clever and fast-paced. I think it's up to book 4 or book 5 now and the quality hasn't diminished.

message 26: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (narcisse) | 78 comments The Chronicles of Prydain:
The Book of Three (The Chronicles of Prydain, #1) by Lloyd Alexander The Black Cauldron (The Chronicles of Prydain, #2) by Lloyd Alexander The Castle of Llyr (The Chronicles of Prydain, #3) by Lloyd Alexander Taran Wanderer (The Chronicles of Prydain, #4) by Lloyd Alexander The High King (The Chronicles of Prydain, #5) by Lloyd Alexander

message 27: by Tara (new)

Tara I just finished Paranormalcy and I liked it. There are a few vampires and werewolves, but it is not the main storyline. It focuses on a girl who can see through glamors and her place in the paranormal world.

message 28: by C. (new)

C. | 4 comments My favorite book of all time is The Light of Asteria: Kailmeyra's Last Hope. Seriously great read, check it out!

message 29: by Sara (new)

Sara Smith | 3 comments Tara wrote: "I just finished Paranormalcy and I liked it. There are a few vampires and werewolves, but it is not the main storyline. It focuses on a girl who can see through glamors and her pla..."

I just finished this book too and realy liked it. It was funny, a little quirky with some actual character development.

message 30: by Sara (new)

Sara Smith | 3 comments I really liked the The Demon King series by Cinda Chima. No vampires or werewolves but there is magic. It has more of an epic scifi/fantasy feel to it.

message 31: by Scribble (last edited Dec 01, 2010 12:50AM) (new)

Scribble Orca (ScribbleOrca) You people are really fantastic, thank you so much. I'd never have found all these books if you hadn't shared with me.

(stumbles off, wobbling sideways, struggling under growing tower of books)

message 32: by Natalie (new)

Natalie K I'd add Graceling and Fire by Kristin Cashore in there. There is some violence, but they are amazing fantasy novels. I loved them both.

message 33: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 49 comments I don't like excessive romance either so I'd suggest Ship Breaker by Paolo Bacigalupi, Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld, or the Ingo series by Helen Dunmore.

message 35: by Amber (new)

Amber (flwvoh) | 1 comments The Hunger Games Trilogy by Suzanne Collins
Delirium by Lauren Oliver
Trylle Trillogy by Amanda Hocking

Those are some of my favorites

message 36: by Kristy (new)

Kristy (ohyeahthat) | 11 comments My favorite book is Daughter of the Forest. There is a trilogy if you like this one. It's based on the fairy tale The Seven Swans where seven brothers were turned into swans by an evil spell cast by their stepmother. It could only be broken if their sister would weave them each a shirt, with not a sound passing her lips. Check it out!

message 37: by Julia (new)

Julia | 431 comments I loved Daughter of the Forest (Sevenwaters, #1) by Juliet Marillier! The Wild Swans (Faerie Tale) by Peg Kerr by Peg Kerr is based on the same story and is told in two time periods and is wonderful.

message 38: by Kristy (new)

Kristy (ohyeahthat) | 11 comments Yes, Daughter of the Forest is such an amazing story! Thanks for the other recommendation I will have to check it out!

message 39: by Sara (new)

Sara Smith | 3 comments Tatiana wrote: "How about The Thief?"

Love this book series!

message 40: by Jim (new)

Jim | 5 comments You might want to check out the new first in a series, Van Stone Novel called The Card.

The Card A Van Stone Novel (Volume 1) by Jim Devitt

Its a little different than what else is out there. No vampires or werewolves. It's more an action/adventure novel but it has depth.

Don't let the baseball cover fool you, it is not a baseball book, but a thrilling adventure with a baseball background.

message 41: by Dianne (new)

Dianne Santiago (Hermioninny) | 12 comments G N wrote: "I loved Harry Potter. I can't stand to read about zombies, werewolves, and vampires (sparkly or any other variety). I don't want a long, heavy duty, overly descriptive series. I'm anti-gore and ..."

If you haven't read the hunger games trilogy, it's also great.. I understand what you feel, I for one am still looking for a novel that's as great as the hp series, i found vampires, werewolves,etc. unappealing, overrated,and shallow ,they wasted my time .. But hunger games is the close second to hp, it's as action-packed and exciting, has and enough revelation and surprises and not as violent and gory as the plot seems to be.. HP and HG are my favorites...

message 42: by Dianne (new)

Dianne Santiago (Hermioninny) | 12 comments G N wrote: "I loved Harry Potter. I can't stand to read about zombies, werewolves, and vampires (sparkly or any other variety). I don't want a long, heavy duty, overly descriptive series. I'm anti-gore and ..."

If you haven't read the hunger games trilogy, it's also great.. I understand what you feel, I for one am still looking for a novel that's as great as the hp series, i found vampires, werewolves,etc. unappealing, overrated,and shallow ,they wasted my time .. But hunger games is the close second to hp, it's as action-packed and exciting, has and enough revelation and surprises and not as violent and gory as the plot seems to be.. HP and HG are my favorites...

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Novice (other topics)
Howl's Moving Castle (other topics)
I, Coriander (other topics)
Elsewhere (other topics)
The Thief (other topics)
More...