Constant Reader discussion

Movies, Theater, TV, Music & Art > The Music Thread, Part 2

Comments (showing 1-23 of 23) (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Barbara | 4919 comments I am getting a message each time I open the original music thread that there is a stack overload. So, I'm going to close that one and open a new one.

My sons keep me fresh on new music. And, yesterday, my youngest son was playing me the new Kanye West cd. I never would have thought to listen to it but this guy is doing some interesting things. He's a little bit crazy socially, but seems to know it and be a bit apologetic about it from the lyrics on one of these songs. And, he's very inventive.

I also have been listening to a free download from Starbucks, History from Below by Delta Spirit, that has grabbed me.

message 2: by Michael (last edited Nov 21, 2010 08:51AM) (new)

Michael (MichaelCanoeist) | 678 comments Barbara, I've been getting that same "stack overflow" message simply coming onto CR -- before reaching any thread in particular. I thought it was Microsoft's revenge for my finally "upgrading" to IE-8 the other day. Always a mistake to do what they tell you!!

Barbara | 4919 comments Michael, I haven't upgraded anything, so I don't think that's it. And, the number of messages cited in the note was above 1,000, but the old music thread number was only in the 300's. It probably wasn't related, but, on the other hand, I haven't received the message again. And, I guess it probably was time to start a fresh music thread.

Barbara | 4919 comments Michael, it's back for me too. I'm going to ask about it on goodreads feedback.

Carol | 6631 comments Micheal that is the problem IE8 no problem yet with mozilla firefox.

Michael (MichaelCanoeist) | 678 comments Sunday morning tendaberry

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5DYLY...

(fabulous just seeing Joni at that age again)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2xODj...

Sue | 2835 comments Michael wrote: "Sunday morning tendaberry

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5DYLY...

(fabulous just seeing Joni at that age again)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2xODj..."

thanks so much for that trip into the past. I listened to some more Fairport Convention while there. Heavenly. Wish I'd actually seen them live way back then. Now I see RT every chance I have. Thankfully he comes to the Boston area usually once or twice a year.

Kathleen | 23 comments Michael wrote: "Sunday morning tendaberry...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2xODj..."

I never heard of Fairport Convention before. That song is breathtaking. Thanks for sharing.

message 11: by Peggy (last edited Oct 16, 2012 07:23PM) (new)

Peggy (psramsey) | 289 comments A Brief Synopsis of What Barb and I Listened To On the Way Home From Pittsburgh*

Owain Phyfe with and without the New World Renaissance Band (Peggy) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Owain_Phyfe I played a few of my favorites, then we listened to most of the "Lágrimas de Sangría" CD.**

Tedeschi Trucks Band (Barb) Including an awesome cover of "Everybody's Talkin'"

Chris Isaak "Beyond the Sun" (Barb - though I'm downloading it from iTunes as I type) How did I not know about this album, and how did I survive so long without it?

George Thorogood and the Destroyers (Peggy) I got to introduce Barb to the live version of "One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer." :-)

Duke Tumatoe "I Like My Job" (Peggy)

Robert Randolph and the Family "Live at the Wetlands" (Barb - though this is queued up to purchase once Chris is done downloading).

*We had Bonnie Raitt's newest CD in the player on the drive down, but mostly we just chatted

**Owain passed away last month - one of my friends and I planned our summer around seeing him perform at the Michigan Renaissance Festival and it breaks my heart that we'll never get to hear him perform again. If you have any interest in medieval music at all, please give him a listen.

Sue | 2835 comments What a list to explore. I enjoy Chris Isaak but don't think I've heard that album. I'll have to check out these others too.

Sara | 1524 comments Thanks for this list, Peggy! Glad you guys had a great time--

Peggy (psramsey) | 289 comments Sara, we name-checked you a lot, wishing you were there. Just imagine the game of dueling MP3s we could have had!

Sara | 1524 comments Peggy wrote: "Sara, we name-checked you a lot, wishing you were there. Just imagine the game of dueling MP3s we could have had!"

We all gotta make it to Austin, we do--

Carol | 6631 comments Sounds good to me. I am planning on it.

Barbara | 4919 comments Peggy and I are uncanny in our love for similar music. She actually introduced me to Chris Isaak in the first place (and Delbert McClinton, no less).

I've been listening to the Tedeschi-Trucks cd some more and discovered a great cover of "Darling, Be Home Soon." Do you remember that by The Lovin' Spoonful? It has that wonderful line "the great relief of having you to talk to." This band was started by Susan Tedeschi who has my favorite voice of the last 10 years, sort of a combination of Bonnie Raitt and Janis Joplin, and her husband Derek Trucks. He is the nephew of the drummer (Butch Trucks) for the Allman Brothers band and is an amazing guitarist. They are married and had two separate bands. In the past few years, they combined to form the current band. Unfortunately, for my taste, there is too much guitar and now enough of Tedeschi's voice. But, they are still very, very good.

Barbara | 4919 comments And, Peggy, thank you for posting that list. It made me smile in memory of that great ride home.

Sue | 2835 comments The Lovin' Spoonful! I can see them singing at some sort of college event in my mind's eye. We were all so much younger then. Still see John Sebastien on PBS music specials now.

Ann | 1700 comments Barb,
What album would you recommend most of Susan Tedeschi? A voice which is "a combination of Bonnie Raitt and Janis Joplin" sounds great to me.

message 21: by Ruth (last edited Oct 19, 2012 10:41AM) (new)

Ruth | 8555 comments PBS fundraising specials--where all fading performers go to die.

Sara | 1524 comments "Summer In The City" is still a joyous anthem to me.

Sue | 2835 comments Sara wrote: ""Summer In The City" is still a joyous anthem to me."

Agree. One of those songs I like to hear each spring, like Don Henley's "Boys of Summer".

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Chopin and Beyond: My Extraordinary Life in Music and the Paranormal (other topics)
My Nine Lives: A Memoir of Many Careers in Music (other topics)