Reading with Style discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > Socializing & Announcements

Comments (showing 201-250 of 1,095) (1095 new)    post a comment »

message 201: by Rebekah (last edited Apr 07, 2011 01:55PM) (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 2063 comments Katy wrote: "I'm a 5th grade teacher and I would personally say absolutely on the graphic novels. As far as getting "credit" I suppose your child's school/teacher might have some specific requirements. I ask ..."

Thanks, Katy! I love your attitude. Can you be my kids' teacher when they reach 5th grade? Actually I am the twins' teacher has I homeschool but I often feel I need to ask advice from the professionsals to keep them on track.
The children do have to read a minute for every TV watching minute (unless it is a special educational show I want them to watch like about endangered animals, earthquakes, recycling and my favorite.... Meerkat Mansion)
I digressed. So if Carson wants to watch Star Trek for an hour, he has to read for an hour first. I also assign a book every month to each of them (Skyla is a little behind Carson and is easily discouraged so I use a lower Lexile score for her) to read and we also read at bedtime most nights. I do give priority to reading because once you read, you can learn about anything else!

When my 21 yo was growing up, I made sure to read everything she did so we could discuss it. She went to PS and The American Embassy School and then a private school run by Quakers, so I didn't make the assignments. For middle school grades she had a private tutor at the school for core subjects. In 5th grade she tested out at the 1st grade level, but I still read to her everynight, keeping the books in her room so her friends wouldn't know I was the one reading Harry Potter to her. I really didn't believe in pushing. I just felt she wasn't developmentally ready yet after she was diagnosed with dyslexia. Guess what? In 7th grade she took the Iowa Acheivemnet test and placed in the 90th per centile! Now she's in college as a solid B student so I'm really glad she didn't get too discouraged because she "couldn't read".

message 202: by Rebekah (last edited Apr 07, 2011 02:22PM) (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 2063 comments Well I did see Alexander McCall-Smith on the 5th. It was a luncheon that I had bought tickets to back in Feb and was shortly afterwards sold out. My Dr. said I couldn't drive to Houston yet after my operation because I was taking pain pills.....so I didn't take them them that day! I told you all I'm a die hard author groupie! My mother used the other ticket because she was staying with me to help with the kids during this time. However, she totally refuses to drive in the "big city"
However "laughter is the best medicine" and Mr McCall Smith is quite the humorist! Even when he was reading an except from one of his books, he got so tickeled, he had to stop a minute to recover himself. He had on a kilt and afterwards said he must hurry because he had to catch a plane very soon and he wanted to change his clothes. Someone said he should keep his kilt on and I told him it would be easier for security to check him if he did, and he broke out laughing again! Reall, if you get a chance to see him, even straight from a hospital bed, it is very worth it!

I was going to put a picture on the post but couldn't figure out how. The copy/paste procedure wasn't working. But I have it on my profile.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) | 1033 comments I taught reading and writing skills to students who needed help in that area. I don't do it anymore because our program decided to use something else. I was amazed how much kids hated reading. I didn't have any friends so reading was my free time activity. I still read all the time. I say as long as the child enjoys what he or she is reading: comics, books, magazines, I would count it.

message 204: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 2063 comments Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "I taught reading and writing skills to students who needed help in that area. I don't do it anymore because our program decided to use something else. I was amazed how much kids hated reading. I di..."

I can't imagine anyone not wanting to read books but then I had this daughter that isn't as interested. Even when she was a toddler, when I read to the twins, she was restless and wanted me to hurry up so she could do something else while my other two kids were exact opposites. We must have had some kind of gene mutation in this generation!

message 205: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Apr 09, 2011 07:05AM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 3388 comments Some were asking about The Summer Book. Many copies are available used from www.alibris.com and one for as little as 99cents plus shipping. I can't vouch for the condition of a 99 cent book, but I can say that I've usually been surprised that the condition of Alibris booksellers has usually been better than I anticipated.

message 206: by Krista (new)

Krista (kacey14) | 798 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Some were asking about The Summer Book. Many copies are available used from www.alibris.com and one for as little as 99cents plus shipping. I can't vouch for the condition of a 99 cen..."

Okay, I coulnd't resist this book any longer. No-one else seemed to have a copy of it (my library, Paperback Swap, Powell's Bookstore), so I ordered one from the Alibris site. Thanks for sharing that info Elizabeth!

message 207: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 2063 comments Oh! I should have posted on this folder. I just completed the book and said I would put mine on book swap if anyone wanted it. I also have a book that fits the "I'm Telling" task

message 208: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 2063 comments Jennifer Egan did it again! Having won the National Book Critics Circle Award last month, she has won the Pulitzer proze for her novel A Visit from the Goon Squad . Gotta go check it out.
Here's the link if you would like to know who the winners were in other categories.

http://www.pulitzer.org/awards/2011

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 3388 comments Only a couple more weeks left in the Spring Challenge. I've gotten to most, but not all, of the books I'd plotted to read for it. Looking forward to plotting for the Summer Challenge.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) | 1033 comments I actually finished the subchallenge so I am pretty proud of myself.

message 211: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 266 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Only a couple more weeks left in the Spring Challenge. I've gotten to most, but not all, of the books I'd plotted to read for it. Looking forward to plotting for the Summer Challenge."

Me too! 3 books to go and I'm waiting with great anticipation for the Summer Challenge!

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 3388 comments Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "I actually finished the subchallenge so I am pretty proud of myself."

I think anyone who finished either (or both!) parts should be pleased. I ended up not having books or ideas for several of the tasks, so just found myself finding places for things I wanted to get after.

message 213: by Denae (new)

Denae (whimsicalmeerkat) I'm still trying to figure out what my popular penguin will be, but the rest are in place. Just have to finish reading them!

message 214: by Deedee (new)

Deedee | 769 comments I'm going to be a mega-finisher this time :0)! Two more books to go, and I'm reading both right now.

Looking forward to the summer challenge! Do our moderators have a date in mind for when the summer challenge will post?

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) | 1033 comments I think it would be June 1st.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 3388 comments I think some of the tasks will post this weekend.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) | 1033 comments yay! I like fitting books into tasks. I like knowing what I am going to read next. Plus, I am going to be petsitting for three weeks away from home so I will know what to bring.

message 218: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele (Klibrary) | 1919 comments I'm getting excited for the summer challenge and I can't wait to find out what the special 15 point challenge will be this time!

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 3388 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "I think some of the tasks will post this weekend."

I posted this, not because I have any special knowledge, but because the first ones have usually been posted sometime around the 20th of the month.

message 220: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited May 23, 2011 07:55AM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 3388 comments Sam, Krista, Liz: My first reaction to the Summer Challenge was disappointment. BUT then I realized, that reading just what I wanted was what I'd planned for summer anyway! I was going to read books and if they fit tasks, all well and good, and if they didn't? I'd read that book anyway. Will I keep my own spreadsheet? Hmmmmm, maybe I'll take a break from the whole points system. It'll be good for me.

Have a nice summer everyone!

message 221: by Krista (last edited May 23, 2011 09:05AM) (new)

Krista (kacey14) | 798 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Sam, Krista, Liz: My first reaction to the Summer Challenge was disappointment. BUT then I realized, that reading just what I wanted was what I'd planned for summer anyway! I was going to read book..."

Hi Elizabeth: Thanks for that feedback. We were hoping that folks would be understanding about the summer break. I hope people do still post books in the Completed Tasks folder and continue to socialize here together.

I do so love seeing what everyone is reading. I'm excited about the new Review style points. I've been wanting that for awhile. So I hope folks use that one alot!!

-Krista

message 222: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited May 23, 2011 08:04AM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 3388 comments Yes, Keep the Review Style points for a few challenges - it will boost my total because I review every book.

And, you'll laugh - I just was looking at my To Read shelf, the one of books I actually have in my possession. And I thought, "oh, I can read that one, and, gasp, that one. I can't even begin to tell you how excited I am!

message 223: by Camille (new)

Camille Breckenridge I'm excited about the Summer Challenge! I've marked so many books as "to read" that I'm ready to have a chance to actually read them! Thanks for all y'all do!

message 224: by Deana (new)

Deana Pittman I agree...those that keep this challenge going need and deserve a break! Enjoy your summer!

Camille, me too! I can't wait to get that TBR list down a notch or too!!! YAY, Summer!

message 225: by Krista (new)

Krista (kacey14) | 798 comments Whew, it's nice to see the positive comments here. I too am rather excited (like a kid let out of school for the summer) to be able to read anything I want without rhyme or reason. :-)

And dare I say it? It's a relief to be freed from the Scorekeeping duties for a quarter.

Liz did such a good job during the Spring. I sure appreciated her giving me a break for the greater portion of the Spring Challenge!

message 226: by Cait (new)

Cait (caitertot) I think that this is a wonderful idea! I like that there is still a point system (and I think that the review style points are awesome); this way the challenge is still interactive, but in a much more relaxed way. It will be a good way to avoid burnout, especially for you, Sam, and Liz.

message 227: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele (Klibrary) | 1919 comments I will really enjoy getting to count every book I read for the Seasonal Reading Challenge on RwS this summer! I'm glad you are giving yourselves a well deserved breather! The review points should get me back to doing reviews more, also!

message 228: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 266 comments Running challenges is definitely a lot of work and you guys have done such good jobs, you really do deserve a break ;)

And I have been wanting to 'not' participate in a new challenge (although I usually fail, addict that I am) so I can read what I want so this is waaaaay tooo good to be true ;)

message 229: by Rebekah (last edited May 23, 2011 06:12PM) (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 2063 comments I agree that the scorekeepers have gone above and beyond just having to deal with my arithmatic alone! (smile) I was a little disappointed too because the tasks keep me focused on reading by fitting my books into tasks ...or so I thought until I realized no matter what my intentions, I always end up getting new books to add to my lists that sound interesting but also fit tasks...like The Sisters Brothers: A Novel i just read. I probably wouldn't have gotten it so soon even though I wanted to read it except it fit this challenge. smile!

I'm a terrible reviewer though. I like to read others' reveiws but I don't feel I really know how to "deconstruct". I just let stars be my review. 5 stars-I really, Really liked it. 1 star - I Really Really did not like it. 3 means it was okay, one that I would check out of the library but wouldn't buy and the others fall between. My likes and dislikes are so very arbitrary and I don't know how to use all those words about "character development" and "plot devices" etc... Plus if it's a Goodreads author, I don't want to hurt their feeling if they see my review and it says too many negative things. is that sad or what??
But I can probably put in a sentence or two. Don't be surprised to see reviews saying " I liked this book because it was comforting" or "This book bored me to tears". (smile)

message 230: by Tobey (new)

Tobey | 236 comments I can't tell you how stoked I am about the upcoming Summer Challenge! I think its awesome and will benefit everyone involved. The Moderators do a great job and deserve this well deserved break! Thanks for all you do to make this a very enjoyable group to belong too!

message 231: by Rebekah (last edited May 24, 2011 12:09PM) (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 2063 comments Will there be any Group Reads Books?

message 232: by Krista (new)

Krista (kacey14) | 798 comments Rebekah wrote: "Will there be any Group Reads Books?"

We weren't planning on it, but if folks are interested I bet we can rustle up a few. :-)

message 233: by Deedee (last edited May 25, 2011 08:32AM) (new)

Deedee | 769 comments The Moderators do a great job and deserve this well deserved break! Thanks for all you do to make this a very enjoyable group to belong too!

And then, in the fall, with our awesome moderators fully rested and ready to go, this group can resume having tasks :0)

message 234: by Liz M (new)

Liz M | 2835 comments I have enjoyed moderating & score-keeping, but the whole being in Japan with sporadic internet access thing made it impossible to contribute. So, while I much prefer the specific challenge tasks (it is how I choose from my 1000+ tbr book pile) I am relieved to not stick Krista with all the question answering & score keeping for the month of June.

So, I have been working a lot in Japan, with just a few hours for sightseeing. But the long flight and occasional downtime at work has allowed me to work my way through half my Japan reading syllabus.

Anyone have any suggestions where I could use any of the following novels:
Fear and Trembling
Deep River
A Pale View of the Hills
The Twilight Years
The Sound of Waves

I have already used the scrabble task, the reuse task, and have a specific book planned for Sam's task.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 3388 comments Have you done 15.4 Historical Fiction? From the description, A Pale View of Hills might work for that.

The Sound of Waves - is that a love story? Then 15.6.

But if you've finished Spring Cleaning, I have no ideas for you.

message 236: by Liz M (new)

Liz M | 2835 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Have you done 15.4 Historical Fiction? From the description, A Pale View of Hills might work for that.

The Sound of Waves - is that a love story? Then 15.6.

But if y..."

Oh! Of course! I hadn't thought about Spring Cleaning, as I usually try to get all my books to fit the 20 pt. tasks. :D

message 237: by Rebekah (last edited May 31, 2011 04:45PM) (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 2063 comments I'm going to copy my reading hero, Karen, and try doing some more of the SRC tasks and am glad to post the same books here for points. I was looking forward to finally getting to create a task, but I make my own little tasks in my head to do anyway, so it doesn't really make difference. (smile)

This time I was trying to do more of the poetry tasks since it has been a genre I haven't really been able to "get" so much. I don't know if I get the modern poems any better but I tried. I also didn't think I was a Sci Fi fan but I really enjoyed the books that were futuristic I read in this challenge. I'm going to try some other Sci Fi authors now that seem to be popular with the fans like Orson Scott Card. Any other suggestions of these books that people really enjoyed reading this challenge?

message 238: by Krista (last edited May 31, 2011 04:50PM) (new)

Krista (kacey14) | 798 comments Rebekah wrote: "I'm going to copy my reading hero, Karen, and try doing some more of the SRC tasks and am glad to post the same books here for points. I was looking forward to finally getting to create a task, bu..."

Don't worry. If you qualified to create a task based on your completion of the Spring Challenge, we'll be looking for that task from you for the Fall Challenge. :-)

message 239: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele (Klibrary) | 1919 comments Rebekah wrote: "I'm going to copy my reading hero, Karen, and try doing some more of the SRC tasks and am glad to post the same books here for points. I was looking forward to finally getting to create a task, bu..."

How very nice of you! I have a lot of fun with the challenges, and have found some great books and great people here! I'm within moments of posting my last Who's Counting? book. This challenge has been great. Thank you to our wonderful moderators and readers!

message 240: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 15 comments Krista & Sam, I have lurked here off and on the last couple seasons--my mind just couldn't cope with the record keeper for more than one challenge. But this summer's looks like I might be able to throw myself back in to RwS.
I'll only be posting spasmodically as I'll be in Italy for part of summer and don't know what kind of internet connections I'll have, but I will be reading.

message 241: by Liz M (new)

Liz M | 2835 comments Donna Jo wrote: "Krista & Sam, I have lurked here off and on the last couple seasons--my mind just couldn't cope with the record keeper for more than one challenge. But this summer's looks like I might be able to ..."

Welcome back! I hope you have a lovely trip and plenty of time to relax & read.

message 242: by Krista (new)

Krista (kacey14) | 798 comments Donna Jo wrote: "Krista & Sam, I have lurked here off and on the last couple seasons--my mind just couldn't cope with the record keeper for more than one challenge. But this summer's looks like I might be able to ..."

Hey Donna Jo -- good to hear from you! Italy huh? Well can I admit that I'm a tad bit jealous? Have a great time. I'll look forward to seeing what you read throughout the summer.

message 243: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 2063 comments Donna Jo wrote: "Krista & Sam, I have lurked here off and on the last couple seasons--my mind just couldn't cope with the record keeper for more than one challenge. But this summer's looks like I might be able to ..."

Wow! Italy is on my Bucket list. I want to see Venice before it sinks and the leaning tower before it falls! lol
Tell us about your trip when you get the chance.

message 244: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 2063 comments Karen GHHS wrote: "Rebekah wrote: "I'm going to copy my reading hero, Karen, and try doing some more of the SRC tasks and am glad to post the same books here for points. I was looking forward to finally getting to c..."

Congratulaions on finishing Who's Counting! I looke at SRC and made a plan but there are so many tasks, I'd have to read more than a book a day, I think! Ikeep finding books that would make great combo points. Too bad they don't count although i might be able to handle the math better. (smile)

message 245: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 2063 comments Krista wrote: "Rebekah wrote: "I'm going to copy my reading hero, Karen, and try doing some more of the SRC tasks and am glad to post the same books here for points. I was looking forward to finally getting to c..."

Oh, I didn't mean to sound like a crybaby.
So no group reads then? Anybody care for a buddy read or am I being over optimistic about the summer? I always think I can do a lot more than I can every summer. Something about summer makes you think you are still a kid with the "School's Out, School's Out" Syndrome when all those carefree days stretched before you.

message 246: by Rebekah (last edited Jun 03, 2011 12:53PM) (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 2063 comments Ok, I have a suggestion for a Group Read. It's not one I read for the Spring 2011 challenge but I think it's a great Summer Read.
Tales of a Female Nomad  Living at Large in the World by Rita Golden Gelman Tales of a Female Nomad: Living at Large in the World by Rita Golden Gelman

From the description you can read that when her husband suddenly wanted a divorce when she was 48, she sold all her possessions, left a very comfortable life in L.A.,and using the royalties she earns from her childrens books (like More Spaghetti, I Say! by Rita Golden Gelman, Pizza Pat (Step-Into-Reading, Step 2) by Rita Golden Gelman, Rice Is Life by Rita Golden Gelman, Queen Esther Saves Her People by Rita Golden Gelman, A Monkey Grows Up by Rita Golden Gelman, Why Can't I Fly? (Hello Reader) by Rita Golden Gelman, Mole in a Hole by Rita Golden Gelman, Monkeys and Apes of the World (First Book) by Rita Golden Gelman to name a few), traveled all over the world, mostly third world countries, with no set agenda, taking opportunites as she saw them. It's been quite an inspirational book.

I'll confess the author has become a friend of mine. I met her in India a few years ago as part of her travels. An American ex-pat from our school read her book and invited her to come to New Delhi as the guest of the school to discuss her books with the children. The families always put up the guests and I volunteered. It turned out to be a wonderful opportunity for me and my children to meet this awesome lady. She kept us fascinated with her storytelling! We still keep up with her and her stories as I got her to visit the mountains of East Tennessee so she could experience the unique Appalachian culture, staying with me, and meeting my family in the Smokies, where she was a big hit. She also spoke at my daughter's Quaker boarding school in Iowa. Like I said she's inspirational and never misses a chance to get to know all types of people and cultures.

I know I'm raving now but I'm sure you can tell I'm a big fan of hers. (smile)

Anyway here is a link to her website;
http://www.ritagoldengelman.com/

I'm sure I can get her to join a discussion with us or an Author Q & A.

message 247: by Denae (new)

Denae (whimsicalmeerkat) I like how the Summer Challenge is pushing me to write actual reviews instead of just a few banal words. :)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 3388 comments I'm reading two bricks with groups and I've begun looking at the 1001 list. I don't feel like I'm making much headway on my owned books list, but am enjoying the summer.

message 249: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra I really like the reviews too. It's annoying when you haven't read the book and there are spoilers, but there haven't been that many. I think it would be a nice idea to nominate reviews and then have a poll for the best one. I really liked Elizabeth (Alaska)'s review of Night Soldiers.

message 250: by Deedee (new)

Deedee | 769 comments Anyone organizing a Fall Challenge?

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.