Reading with Style discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > Socializing & Announcements

Comments (showing 101-150 of 1,095) (1095 new)    post a comment »

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) | 943 comments On a side track, I learned to throw people in karate class and I accidently Judeo threw this 70 year old guy in the class.

Rachelccameron | 248 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Is anyone else starting to feel the tingles of excitement about the Spring Challenge?"

So excited :)

Deedee | 660 comments I'm going to finish Backpacking Through Europe -- the RwS I'll come close but even though I have books picked for the remaining RwS tasks, I just won't have the time to fit them all in next week. (Next week is Birthday week, both my husband and my eldest son have birthdays :0) )

Reading Through Time was too challenging for me -- I don't read many books published prior to 1800. I really enjoyed Backpacking Through Europe. And, I really like the idea of a progression through a series of book that both challenges featured. Looking forward to the Spring tasks!!!!

Karen Michele (Klibrary) | 1687 comments I'm going to complete the challenge this time. I finished Backpacking Through Europe a while ago and I agree that I preferred it to Reading Through Time. There was more flexibility for me in what I was able to choose. I mixed classics, current publications and YA, which fits my reading perfectly.

I'm about to finish my last two books for RwS mega finish and then continue to read extra books that count during my mid-winter break next week. This has been my favorite Reading with Style since I joined 3 challenges ago. Good luck everyone!

Krista (kacey14) | 673 comments My plan at the start of the season was to just read BtE books until the series was completed. But what with library queue lengths, and both reading books at home and listening to books in the car, I couldn't single thread the task to get through them quickly enough. I HAD to add some RwS tasks to fill the time between BtE books.

So now I'm not going going to finish either RwS or BtE this quarter. Boo-hoo ---- I LOVE to get those bonus points. Last quarter I didn't do the Reading Through Time challenge, but I did complete all of the RwS tasks.

So much for my grand plan at the beginning of the challenge.

Christy | 64 comments I was really hoping to finish the Europe challenge this time, but got thrown off on my 3rd country. I picked The Mandarins for France but couldn't even get halfway through. Who knew French intellectuals post-WWII were so boring? I guess I could have picked something else for France, but by then I was having too much fun reading all kinds of stuff off Amazon's best of 2010 list for task 20.9!

message 107: by Sam (new)

Sam (archie_leach) | 207 comments Just wanted to let everyone who is excited about the Spring Challenge know that we haven't forgotten about you. We're still finalizing a few things, but we should be ready to go soon. Get ready to start taking a hard look at your TBR list...this season's sub-challenge is called "Spring Cleaning."

Deana Pittman I am very excited about the new challenge! I have not posted anything this challenge...it has been such a busy couple of months....I am ready to get serious again with my reading! I love this challenge! Thanks to all of those that make it happen!

Karen Michele (Klibrary) | 1687 comments Welcome to the moderator ranks, Liz!

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) | 943 comments We are supposed to get another 9 inches of snow dumped on us in the Chicagoland area tonight.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 3008 comments We still have the 8-10 inches we got Sun-Mon on the ground. It's gotten quite cold here - into the low teens overnight, with single digit wind chills, which is quite unusual for us.

Liz M | 2582 comments Karen GHHS wrote: "Welcome to the moderator ranks, Liz!"

Thank you! I am looking over Krista's spreadsheet. And wow. I mean, wow. She has done amazing work keeping track.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 3008 comments Liz M wrote: "I am looking over Krista's spreadsheet. And wow. I mean, wow. She has done amazing work keeping track."

I can't even imagine the complexity involved. Thank you for being there to help on all fronts.

message 114: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Feb 24, 2011 01:38PM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 3008 comments I'm looking forward to seeing the Women's History Month list. I did sneak a peek at the index online at Amazon and I think I have several on my shelf - ones I've been wanting and wanting to read.

message 115: by Cait (new)

Cait (caitertot) Elizabeth, I did the same thing! I am so excited about that task.

message 116: by Krista (last edited Feb 25, 2011 03:59PM) (new)

Krista (kacey14) | 673 comments Liz M wrote: "Karen GHHS wrote: "Welcome to the moderator ranks, Liz!"

Thank you! I am looking over Krista's spreadsheet. And wow. I mean, wow. She has done amazing work keeping track."

Thanks Liz --- I've probably made it more complicated than necessary. But at least it makes it easier to research how points were earned if I have to go back and figure anything out later. :-)

And please --- let me add my warm "Welcome to the Moderator Panel". I know I welcomed you in a private email, but I think a public welcome is in order too! I'm really looking forward to having some help on the scorekeeping, and help in answering questions as they arise. This is such a fun group!

Okay, back to my spreadsheet now....

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 1999 comments Sam wrote: "Just wanted to let everyone who is excited about the Spring Challenge know that we haven't forgotten about you. We're still finalizing a few things, but we should be ready to go soon. Get ready to ..."

That is EXACTLY the type of challenge I need!

I think if I finish the BPTE challenge it will be last min like last time. Good thing my dh is ut of town so I can stay up reading as long as I want!

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 1999 comments Krista wrote: "My plan at the start of the season was to just read BtE books until the series was completed. But what with library queue lengths, and both reading books at home and listening to books in the car,..."

I'm looking forward to having those 2 extra days in the next challenge. It is two, right? smile

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 1999 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "I'm looking forward to seeing the Women's History Month list. I did sneak a peek at the index online at Amazon and I think I have several on my shelf - ones I've been wanting and wanting to read."

Is this something that is announced yearly? Is this a task for next time?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 3008 comments Rebekah, you need to go to the group home page and look at the Spring challenge.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) | 943 comments Well it likes like we didn't get the snow they said we were going to get.

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 1999 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Rebekah, you need to go to the group home page and look at the Spring challenge."

Shoot! I had never even noticed its being there! Here I am just posting suggestions every day wondering when we have to quit making them! (smile)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 1999 comments Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "Well it likes like we didn't get the snow they said we were going to get."

For you snow bunnies, it has been in the 70's here. Spring is here and the Mockingbird trying to get a girlfriend is singing all night outside my bedroom window! We might get a cold snap. usually at Easter and/or Mardi Gras but it's Spring!
In the summer you can rub it in my face when we have the 90's with 90% humidity! (smile)

message 124: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Feb 26, 2011 03:36PM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 3008 comments I'm just about as excited about the Spring Challenge as I was in anticipation of it. And there are still 7 more tasks to come (well, 4 if we are to believe the poll). As usual, I won't get to every task, but I'm truly looking forward to each of the books I've already chosen.

Karen Michele (Klibrary) | 1687 comments I agree, Elizabeth! It's shaping up to be another excellent challenge and I'm having fun planning for it.

message 126: by Krista (last edited Feb 26, 2011 04:27PM) (new)

Krista (kacey14) | 673 comments Karen GHHS wrote: "I agree, Elizabeth! It's shaping up to be another excellent challenge and I'm having fun planning for it."

I've been filling out my Spring Challenge plan of attack off and on for the last three days. I have a stack of books that are slated for the Spring Challenge sitting on th hassock in my family room. It's all I can do to keep my hands of them. I do have two more books I'm trying to finish up for Winter -- so I should be concentrating on those. But it's just so fun to do the planning!

I'm bound and determined that I'm going to at least finish the Spring Cleaning tasks this time. It's nice that we don't have to read the books for Spring Cleaning in any particular order. That's what slowed me down on BtE.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 3008 comments I quite agree about the random order of Spring Cleaning. I ended up not getting to BtE, and a couple of the books I really wanted to read. In the future, I may not try to get the extra points awarded for doing those 15-pointers in order. (But I've said such rash things before, so don't hold me to it.)

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) | 943 comments I am trying to decide which book I want to read first for the Spring Challenge.

Krista (kacey14) | 673 comments Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "I am trying to decide which book I want to read first for the Spring Challenge."

There are so many good choices, it's tough to make a decision. Right? :-)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 3008 comments I know mine - The Bingo Palace - only because I've been trying to find a place for it in a challenge for at least a year, and Sam's task is a gift, a pure gift.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) | 943 comments i think I decided on "Strawberry Shortcake Murder" and "Carrot Cake Murder"

Krista (kacey14) | 673 comments Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "i think I decided on "Strawberry Shortcake Murder" and "Carrot Cake Murder""

Mmmm --- Very tasty.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) | 943 comments Yes it is, It is very hard being on a diet and reading about Lemon Squares and Chocolate Cookie Crunches. :)

Liz M | 2582 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "I know mine - The Bingo Palace - only because I've been trying to find a place for it in a challenge for at least a year, and Sam's task is a gift, a pure gift."

Louise Erdrich has published three poetry books, so she works for 20.4

Krista (kacey14) | 673 comments Liz M wrote: "Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "I know mine - The Bingo Palace - only because I've been trying to find a place for it in a challenge for at least a year, and Sam's task is a gift, a pure g..."

The Beet Queen is one of my favorite books!

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 3008 comments Liz M wrote: "Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "I know mine - The Bingo Palace - only because I've been trying to find a place for it in a challenge for at least a year, and Sam's task is a gift, a pure g..."

Thanks, Liz, combo points entered on spreadsheet!

Yes, Krista, I, too, liked The Beet Queen. My first Erdrich was The Master Butchers Singing Club, which takes place in the same small town as Erdrich's first 4 novels. It was recommended to me that I read them in order, although I'm not now certain that's necessary. I'm still on the same glide path, though.

message 137: by Krista (last edited Feb 26, 2011 06:30PM) (new)

Krista (kacey14) | 673 comments Funny -- I just jotted down The Master Butchers Singing Club club for the the Poets Who Write Prose task. I saw Louise Erdich on TV awhile back and she was talking about how this story came from the German side of her family. Her was grandfather a German butcher who immigrated to Minnesota. I think he immigrated. He may have been born here --- but I do know he was German or at least of German extraction.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 3008 comments You'll recognize the town and some of the characters if you liked The Beet Queen. I love Erdrich, but because I'm not native, it was a bit easier for me to relate to the characters in Butcher's.

Karen Michele (Klibrary) | 1687 comments I just picked up a few books for the Spring Challenge at the library and it is hard to wait to jump into these new finds! I still have some winter books to finish, so I'm off to read!

I really enjoyed Erdrich's The Master Butchers Singing Club and hope to read something more of hers for spring now that I can put them in the non poetry by a poet task!

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 3008 comments Oops! I guess if it fits another task, I can't use it for Sam's 20.10. Ok, then that opens up 20.10 for something else I've been handkering to read.

Liz M | 2582 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Oops! I guess if it fits another task, I can't use it for Sam's 20.10. Ok, then that opens up 20.10 for something else I've been handkering to read."

Sam's task is the gift that keeps giving ;)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 3008 comments Liz M wrote: "Sam's task is the gift that keeps giving ;) "

Yep, I've tentatively slipped in one that I had to strike from the Women's History task. But I realized it will have to be tentative - we still have those winner's tasks to come! (Unless they're there and I haven't looked yet this morning. Give me a break, it's only 7:30 and I'm sitting here eating my oatmeal still.)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 3008 comments Dang! We've got another tie in the poll!

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 3008 comments Having never before read Raymond Chandler, I have penciled in two for Spring: The Big Sleep for the Cyberpunk task, and The Little Sister for the Sister/Brother task. I think Sam's having an influence on me over this genre.

Tobey | 211 comments I will spread more love for Sam's task. I might read Mini Shopaholic for it since I can't seem to make it fit elsewhere!

And I'm almost finished my France stop and if I finish that tonight...well I'm not sure what I'll so for tomorrow since I won't get through another book by the end of the day tomorrow. Oh the dilemma!

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 3008 comments Looking forward to seeing the winners tasks and the group reads.

Liz M | 2582 comments Excellent winter challenge everyone! I am so jealous of all the reading you all have done in the past few weeks. (Work has been excessive and with a head cold, I have spent the few free hours I had the past few weeks sleeping). Sadly, I am <50 pages from finishing a novel, but I just couldn't stay awake long enough to squeeze it in.

Onto Spring!

Joanna (Walker) | 514 comments Liz M wrote: " Sadly, I am <50 pages from finishing a novel, but I just couldn't stay awake long enough to squeeze it in.

Onto Spring! "

Yep...I was within 100 pages of finishing the RwS tasks, but I just couldn't do it last night since I had to work late. Ah well!

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 3008 comments Onto Spring is right, Liz. Great tasks, I'm truly looking forward to those in front of me. I don't know that I'll get to all I have planned, but no matter, they're all something I'll enjoy.

Tobey | 211 comments Working in an academic library is really going to pay off for this challenge! Do we got books here or what? Poe, Shakespeare, Wharton, Alcott...oh the possibilities. I haven't read poetry in years but looks like I'm going to now, thank you RwS!!!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.