Reading with Style discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > Socializing & Announcements

Comments (showing 1-50 of 1,095) (1095 new)    post a comment »

Sam (archie_leach) | 207 comments Here is the oft-requested folder where Reading with Style participants can discuss whatever they would like.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 3024 comments I'm excited about this Challenge. I have so many books on my shelf that need my attention and I've already been able to identify more that will fit than I will have time to read. Won't finish Fall, but I'm still looking forward to the little bit I will be able to read.

Krista (kacey14) | 673 comments Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!

colleen (colleenFL) Happy Thanksgiving!

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 3024 comments Happy Thanksgiving!

Cassandra Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Happy Thanksgiving!"
Same!

What's everyone having (or had)? This year we bullied my Mom into making four pies when we usually only have one, and my Dad's making sausage/mushroom/cranberry stuffing. He makes a different one each year.

I was supposed to make a jello mold, but we don't have any jello. Around twenty boxes of Jello brand pudding mix, but no jello.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) | 945 comments My cooking skills are below adequate. I just get to eat the food :)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 3024 comments LOL, Jayme. My cooking skills are adequate, but my husband likes to cook, so I let him. ;-)

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) | 945 comments I can only microwave cook.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 3024 comments Jayme, cooking isn't hard. Well, some dishes are more complicated than others, but there are lots of really good and tasty dishes that are quite simple. Try something - surprise yourself!

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) | 945 comments It's more complicated than that. I can't see well enough to use the stove safely. i can boil water but I have to get close to see so my mom kinda freaked out and thought it better for me not to use the stove and oven. I tried to learn to cook taking low vision classes but that few and far between. I got kicked out of my cooking class in high school. I got kicked out of the cooking class that my students take.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 3024 comments When I was posting I wondered if that might be the trouble. OK, you can boil water in the microwave and make jello. You can open canned fruit and drain it and put it together to make a nice jello salad.

But it's amazing how good the frozen dinners are these days. You won't starve. ;-)

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) | 945 comments no I haven't starved. I learned to cook creatively.

Cassandra Kim by Rudyard Kipling is listed as Book 2 of the 'Devil Series' in the Winter task example. Does anyone know what the first book in this series is?

Liz M | 2588 comments Rhea wrote: "Kim by Rudyard Kipling is listed as Book 2 of the 'Devil Series' in the Winter task example. Does anyone know what the first book in this series is?"

From the task example post:
Reading w/Style (RwS) Sample Completed Tasks Post:
(Note: While this is an actual book, some of the Style points have been fabricated for illustration purposes)

Kim is not part of a series. It was made-up to show how one would post series style points.

message 16: by Liz M (last edited Nov 28, 2010 04:39PM) (new)

Liz M | 2588 comments I hope everyone had a lovely weekend & a delicious Thanksgiving, for those celebrating it this weekend.

I have just finished my third annual Sunday Vegetarian Thanksgiving Dinner. I started this tradition when I began a new job and had to work long days the Weds. before and the Friday after the holiday. My then roommates are also vegetarian and they usually travel for a family meal where they can't have turkey or stuffing or gravy or sweet potatoes (with marshmallow topping) and pretty much only eat a vegetable side dish and pie. So I decided to spend Thanksgiving grocery shopping & doing prep work & then have the actual meal with them on Sunday.

This year I made wild rice Waldorf salad, arugula strawberry salad, Caroline greens, baked stuffing, roasted green beans, cheesy beer bread, sweet potato gratin, and apple-pear crisp. They brought pumpkin pie, key lime pie, wine, and I forced one of the former roommates to make mushroom gravy (mine never works out right).

I should be washing the dishes stacked on the table, counter, (the bedroom floor....) but instead I am here. :D

Oof, food coma.

Krista (kacey14) | 673 comments Rhea wrote: "Kim by Rudyard Kipling is listed as Book 2 of the 'Devil Series' in the Winter task example. Does anyone know what the first book in this series is?"

Yep, Liz M is correct. I just made up a series in order to show howand where the Series points should be added in the Completed Task point tally.

I *am* glad to see folks are reading the info in the new folders though. :-)

Krista (kacey14) | 673 comments Liz M wrote: "I hope everyone had a lovely weekend & a delicious Thanksgiving, for those celebrating it this weekend.

I have just finished my third annual Sunday Vegetarian Thanksgiving Dinner. I started thi..."

Wow, that sounds like a lovely meal. It's nice when you can start your won holiday traditions!

Cassandra Krista wrote: "Rhea wrote: "Kim by Rudyard Kipling is listed as Book 2 of the 'Devil Series' in the Winter task example. Does anyone know what the first book in this series is?"

Yep..."

Oops. Thanks to both of you.

Cassandra I'm trying to find a book that's worth the most points.

I've got Joseph and His Brothers by Thomas Mann and Collected Stories by Rudyard Kipling with 65 points. Can anyone find a book that's worth 70?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 3024 comments Rhea wrote: "I'm trying to find a book that's worth the most points.

I've got Joseph and His Brothers by Thomas Mann and Collected Stories by Rudyard Kipling with 65 points. Can anyo..."

Knowing all the tasks might make a difference.

Cassandra Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Rhea wrote: "I'm trying to find a book that's worth the most points.

I've got Joseph and His Brothers by Thomas Mann and Collected Stories by Rudyard Kipling with 65 p..."

Good point, I'm not sure why I didn't think of that. I guess I'll have to wait and try again.

colleen (colleenFL) Anybody else have a hard time deciding what to read first when they start a new reading challenge? So many choices!

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 3024 comments Last time and this time, I had/have a book planned to read with another group. I'm starting with The Lacuna for 10.2.

This time, I will not complete either Backpacking through Europe, nor the other RWS tasks, but I have so many what I expect to be good reads in front of me that it won't matter.

message 25: by Liz M (last edited Dec 01, 2010 09:27AM) (new)

Liz M | 2588 comments colleen wrote: "Anybody else have a hard time deciding what to read first when they start a new reading challenge? So many choices!"

Well, since i don't read as fast as you ;), invariably my "last" book of the previous challenge is not half done and becomes the first book of the new challenge. After that, it is whatever 20-point task book I have in-house.

(I strategically am reading the banned book For Whom the Bell Tolls which was written by Nobel-winning Hemingway)

message 26: by Krista (last edited Dec 01, 2010 01:13PM) (new)

Krista (kacey14) | 673 comments I seem to come up with a different strategy each challenge. This challenge I was going to just read Backpacking books until I'd finished all 10 in the series. Then I couldn't find enough of those in CD Audio format from the library so I'm widening my scope.

I'm trying to read the Backpacking and the 20 Point tasks first. I'm using the library as my source for as many audio books as I can work in for my commuting time --- otherwise I'm trying to limit myself as much as possible to books I actually own.

colleen (colleenFL) Is anyone else here reading books from 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die? I have to read six more this year to get my goal of fifty in 2010 done. There are a lot of them that will work with the winter tasks so I should be able to claim most of them. I'm using the original (2006) version of the list.

message 28: by Cassandra (last edited Dec 03, 2010 04:42PM) (new)

Cassandra colleen wrote: "Is anyone else here reading books from 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die? I have to read six more this year to get my goal of fifty in 2010 done. There are a lot of them that ..."

I'm trying to finish that list too, just not very hard. Right now I'm reading A Tale of Two Cities.

If you go to their website (http://www.1001beforeyoudie.com/) you can sort the list they have up by author nationality.

message 29: by Liz (last edited Dec 03, 2010 07:56PM) (new)

Liz   (LizVegas) colleen wrote: "Is anyone else here reading books from 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die? I have to read six more this year to get my goal of fifty in 2010 done. There are a lot of them that ..."

I am. I'm working off all three lists and just picking the books that I really want to read. Do you have the spreadsheet? I love that thing...

Cait (caitertot) Liz Vegas wrote: "I am. I'm working off all three lists and just picking the books that I really want to read. "

That's what I'm doing as well. I figure if a book was deemed worthy enough to make the list at one point or another, it still counts. My progress on the list - and reading in general - has been pretty slow this year, so it's one of my main focuses for 2011.

message 31: by Rebekah (last edited Dec 06, 2010 10:26AM) (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 2001 comments colleen wrote: "Anybody else have a hard time deciding what to read first when they start a new reading challenge? So many choices!"

Very much! Of course as I started through my books, I found three with the word "farm" in the title, also the cities Venice, Varanasri, Tokyo, Kabul, Terhan and Dublin, two stories collections by various Nobel Prize winners, two banned books and another one hit wonder! Isn't that how it always is? (smile)

message 32: by Rebekah (last edited Dec 06, 2010 10:39AM) (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 2001 comments colleen wrote: "Is anyone else here reading books from 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die? I have to read six more this year to get my goal of fifty in 2010 done. There are a lot of them that ..."

What a Goal! Do you think you will finish all 1001 before you die? It does help that the most popular ones are usually already read, like To Kill a Mockingbird. I've been working on the pulitzers and I have one left. I got down to that one just before the fall challenge but it doesn't fit in any challenges. I've been working on this goal for years too because so many are no longer in print. The one book to complete my goal is Guard of Honor by James Gould Cozzens and it is a jumbo read so I keep putting it off. Of course I will never be done as a new one is announced every year.

As far as 1001 goes, I have the 2010 version and was using it to help find European books. I wonder what the changes are between my version and your original one?

colleen (colleenFL) Rebekah, There are spreadsheets out on the net that have all the titles from the different editions of 1001 Books. The only reason I'm working from the 2006 version is that it's the one that I own. I like to see what it says about the books before or after I read them. I think that I've read some off the 2008 and 2010 lists, but I don't count them towards my annual goal. I've had annual goals for reading a number of books off this list for the last three years. I usually start the year out strong then slack off after a few months then try to catch up at the end of the year.

I imagine I'll get most of the books read if I live long enough. I've read about 250 so far. I've had difficulty finding some of the books.

Cassandra colleen wrote: "Rebekah, There are spreadsheets out on the net that have all the titles from the different editions of 1001 Books. The only reason I'm working from the 2006 version is that it's the one that I own..."

Reading every single book on the list would be an unbelievable achievement since there's ones like the The Taebek Mountains that aren't even published in English. For that one you have to either know Korean, Japanese, or French.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 3024 comments Even if they were all published and available, I don't have enough time left to me, I think. But that's OK, I've read some, have some, and will undoubtedly read others not yet on any of my lists.

Added note: I haven't completed anything yet this challenge, but I AM still here, still reading, and will finish something eventually. ;-)

Liz M | 2588 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Added note: I haven't completed anything yet this challenge, but I AM still here, still reading, and will finish something eventually. ;-)..."

That is how i feel! Between what felt like a late Thanksgiving and leaving town the week before Christmas, and all the cooking and holiday events, I still haven't finished the book I was hoping to finish for the Fall Challenge. Perhaps, I'll catch up during my time off this month & February's vacation.

Off to make more Christmas cookie dough for the Great Cookie Bake of 2010!

colleen (colleenFL) Liz M wrote: "Off to make more Christmas cookie dough for the Great Cookie Bake of 2010!"

What kind of Christmas cookies are you making? I made some unbaked oatmeal cookies today. They're not really Christmasy, but they taste good! I'm thinking of making some fudge later this week.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) | 945 comments I made Mexican nut cookies one year.

Liz M | 2588 comments colleen wrote: "Liz M wrote: "Off to make more Christmas cookie dough for the Great Cookie Bake of 2010!"

What kind of Christmas cookies are you making? I made some unbaked oatmeal cookies today. They're not ..."

I usually make 6 kinds of cookies to give to co-workers. I typically make Orange-Chocolate Pinwheels & Peanut Butter Kisses. This year I am also making Spicy Mexican Chocolate cookies, Candied Ginger cookies, Rum Cardamom cookies, and Lime Coconut cookies.

colleen (colleenFL) Liz M wrote: "I usually make 6 kinds of cookies to give to co-workers. I typically make Orange-Chocolate Pinwheels & Peanut Butter Kisses. This year I am also making Spicy Mexican Chocolate cookies, Candied Ginger cookies, Rum Cardamom cookies, and Lime Coconut cookies."

Sounds good! Lucky co-workers! :)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 2001 comments Liz M wrote: "colleen wrote: "Liz M wrote: "Off to make more Christmas cookie dough for the Great Cookie Bake of 2010!"

What kind of Christmas cookies are you making? I made some unbaked oatmeal cookies today..."

mmmmmm. I'll send you my address! (smile)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 2001 comments Liz M wrote: "Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Added note: I haven't completed anything yet this challenge, but I AM still here, still reading, and will finish something eventually. ;-)..."

That is how i feel! Betwee..."

I've read one and started another but they are the shortest books on my list to read. I'm sure I'll have to slack off in the next couple of weeks too. We'll spend the holidays in Tennessee with family so that means getting gifts for all of them as well and the packing...

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 3024 comments Rebekah wrote: "We'll spend the holidays in Tennessee with family so that means getting gifts for all of them as well and the packing..."

If you're flying, remember not to wrap your packages until you get on the other end. TSA doesn't like wrapped packages, I think even in checked baggage.

colleen (colleenFL) What other challenges do you participate in?

I'm in two other Goodreads groups that have challenges every month, Romance Readers Reading Challenges & Paranormal Romance. RRRC has lots of different reading challenges taking place at the same time while PNR has one monthly challenge that involves reading ten books.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 3024 comments This is the only challenge. I learned about Reading With Style because of The Seasonal Reading Challenge, but that one got too big and unwieldy and ceased to be any fun. Thank goodness Sam saw the best in it and created his own sub-challenge, which then moved over here on its own.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) | 945 comments I think this is my third Reading with Style and my 6th Seasonal Reading Challenge. I am also in the Historical Fictionistas challenge as well.

message 47: by Liz M (last edited Dec 15, 2010 08:33PM) (new)

Liz M | 2588 comments So I finished the cookies this past weekend. I try to give them to 22 departments, about 350 people. All told, I think I made about 1972 bite-sized cookies.

So, I finally have time to read again. I am looking forward to next week when I am at my mum's house for the holidays & will be able to devote at least 5 hours a day to my backpacking through Europe books!

colleen (colleenFL) Liz M wrote: "So I finished the cookies this past weekend. I try to give them to 22 departments, about 350 people. All told, I think I made about 1972 bite-sized cookies.

So, I finally have time to read agai..."

Wow, that's a lot of cookies! And a lot of happy people eating cookies. :)

message 49: by Cassandra (last edited Dec 22, 2010 09:51PM) (new)

Cassandra I made Earl Grey Shortbread Cookies, which no one besides me likes because they taste of Earl Grey. So I get all the cookies to myself.

I've been looking through section D in Bloom's list for scifi/fantasy novels. I'm trying to make a reading list, but I haven't even heard of most of the books on the list. Can anyone pick out some of the ones I missed?

Here's my list-
The Science Fiction Novels of H.G. Wells, A Voyage to Arcturus, Brave New World, The Gormenghast Trilogy, 1984, War with the Newts, The Left Hand of Darkness, Little Big, Aegypt, Love and Sleep, Gravity's Rainbow, The Witches of Eastwick, and Cat's Cradle.

Coralie | 487 comments Rhea wrote: "I made Earl Grey Shortbread Cookies, which no one besides me likes because they taste of Earl Grey. So I get all the cookies to myself.

I've been looking through section D in Bloom's list for scif..."

I've been working my way through books nominated for Hugo and/or Nebula awards. So far I have come across two others that are on Bloom's list. They are
Invisible Cities and Riddley Walker.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 21 22
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.