The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

OLD TASK HELP THREADS > 10.4- Auld Lang Syne

Comments (showing 1-28 of 28) (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dlmrose (last edited Nov 20, 2010 02:05AM) (new)

Dlmrose | 9492 comments Mod
Auld Lang Syne: January 25th, 1759 was the birth date of Robert Burns, the author of "Auld Lang Syne" and widely regarded as the National Poet of Scotland. Read a book written by a Scottish author or that is set in Scotland. Here's a resource for Scottish authors (or authors that Scotland has claimed as their own by birth or residence): Authors from Scotland

If you have questions, need suggestions OR have suggestions for books to read for this task, please post them here.

message 3: by Dlmrose (new)

placeholder

message 4: by Lahni (last edited Nov 20, 2010 08:10AM) (new)

Lahni | 314 comments Is it safe to assume that all authors from your Scottish Authors link are approved for this task?

message 5: by Dlmrose (new)

Yes, all authors in that link will work. You may use any other author you find with a reference- born in Scotland or current residence.

message 6: by Lahni (new)

Lahni | 314 comments Thanks!

message 7: by JenC. (new)

JenC. (jencornelius) | 553 comments I would like to recommend Highland River by Neil M. Gunn.

message 8: by Beth F. (new)

Beth F. (quietknitter) | 511 comments Love this task. I am always in need of places to slot Alexander McCall Smith. :)

message 9: by Beth (last edited Nov 21, 2010 08:19AM) (new)

Beth (MommaLioness) | 608 comments Several ideas on this one:

Karen Marie Moning Highlander series

The first half of Diana Gabaldon Outlander series

Dorothy Dunnett Lymond Chronicles

Nigel Tranter Bruce Trilogy

N. Gemini Sasson Bruce Trilogy

message 10: by Dlmrose (new)

And public domain/Gutenberg authors Arthur Conan Doyle Robert Louis Stevenson, J.M. Barrie

message 11: by chucklesthescot (new)

chucklesthescot Is it possible to use Flying Scotsman: The Graeme Obree Story. It is about one of Scotland's most famous Olympic athletes and features his cycling career, bouts of depression and attempted suicide. I'm assuming a lot of it is set in Scotland!

message 12: by Dlmrose (new)

chucklesthescot wrote: "Is it possible to use Flying Scotsman: The Graeme Obree Story. It is about one of Scotland's most famous Olympic athletes and features his cycling career, bouts of depression and att..."

It works. According to Obree's website www.obree.com he lives in Saltcoats, Ayrshire and considers himself Scottish.

message 13: by Carma (last edited Nov 24, 2010 09:47AM) (new)

Carma | 27 comments I am going to assume that even though he isn't on the list that Sean Connery's book Being A Scot would easily fall into this task.
I just picked it up from the library before I got ahold of the Challenge and am willing to wait (a little bit) to read it.

message 14: by Dlmrose (new)

Carma wrote: "I am going to assume that even though he isn't on the list that Sean Connery's book Being A Scot would easily fall into this task.
I just picked it up from the library before I g..."

It works.

message 15: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 5070 comments a lot of the old Julie Garwood books - Ransom; The Secret; The Bride are all set in scotland

message 16: by Riona (new)

Riona (rionafaith) I just want to make sure Halting State works. It takes place in future Scotland, and the author lives in Scotland (though I believe he's British originally). Is it okay?

message 17: by Diane (new)

Diane | 611 comments J.K. Rowling actually came up on the Scottish author link.

Here are a few more well-known I authors I found on the link:
M.C. Beaton
John Buchan
Walter Scott
Muriel Spark

message 18: by Dlmrose (new)

Riona wrote: "I just want to make sure Halting State works. It takes place in future Scotland, and the author lives in Scotland (though I believe he's British originally). Is it okay?"

It is, Charles Stross is on the Scottish author link

message 19: by Dlmrose (new)

Diane wrote: "J.K. Rowling actually came up on the Scottish author link.

Here are a few more well-known I authors I found on the link:
M.C. Beaton
John Buchan..."

They all work

message 20: by Riona (new)

Riona (rionafaith) Dlmrose wrote: "Riona wrote: "I just want to make sure Halting State works. It takes place in future Scotland, and the author lives in Scotland (though I believe he's British originally). Is it okay?"

It is, Char..."

Sorry, I didn't even check! Oops. Thanks though!

message 21: by Pam (new)

Pam (pammylee76) | 51 comments what about Gordon Ramsay?

He is Scottish by birth...

message 22: by Dlmrose (new)

Pam wrote: "what about Gordon Ramsay?

He is Scottish by birth..."

He works

message 23: by Pam (new)

Pam (pammylee76) | 51 comments Dlmrose wrote: "Pam wrote: "what about Gordon Ramsay?

He is Scottish by birth..."

He works"

Thanks!

message 24: by Barbara VA (new)

Barbara VA (BarbaraVA) I love Rosamund Pilcher, she was born in Cornwall, England but married a Scotsman and has lived there forever, does she count?

message 25: by Dlmrose (new)

Barbara VA wrote: "I love Rosamund Pilcher, she was born in Cornwall, England but married a Scotsman and has lived there forever, does she count?"

Yes, and some of her books are set in Scotland as well.

message 26: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 5070 comments can the book count if like 2-3 chapters take place in england - or does it all have to be in scotland...the majority of the ones that interest me (romance wise) - involve a highlander coming to england to get a wife and then going back to the highlands....i'm still combing through my pile of books, but it seems to be a common theme...this is the one i was considering - Devil of the Highlands

message 27: by Dlmrose (new)

Delicious Dee Challenge Addict wrote: "can the book count if like 2-3 chapters take place in england - or does it all have to be in scotland...the majority of the ones that interest me (romance wise) - involve a highlander coming to eng..."

Since you can't tell all the comings and goings of the characters unless you've read the book, as long as the description refers to a setting in Scotland in a meaningful way it works. Devil of the Highlands works. Books that start with a protagonist leaving Scotland for another destination might fall outside the "meaningful way"

message 28: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 5070 comments i was going to read it anyways, so i'll read and fall out...as far as I can tell (and i've only read 2 chapters) - her step-mom wants to get rid of her, he needs to marry to save his clan (in scotland) - so a marriage deal is worked out...but i'll read some more tonight and try to figure it out

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Highland River (other topics)
Flying Scotsman (other topics)
Being a Scot (other topics)
Devil of the Highlands (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Neil M. Gunn (other topics)
Alexander McCall Smith (other topics)
N. Gemini Sasson (other topics)
Diana Gabaldon (other topics)