The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

OLD TASK HELP THREADS > 15.1 - Time After Time

Comments (showing 1-50 of 72) (72 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sandy (last edited Nov 21, 2010 10:01AM) (new)

Sandy | 7227 comments Mod
15.1. Time After Time

January was named for Janus, the god looking both forward and backwards.
A. Read a novel of historical fiction
AND
B. Read a novel set in the future.

To qualify as "historical" or "future," the book must be set at least 30 years before or roughly 30 years after the time it was written.

For example, 1984 works as a "future" novel, because it was written in 1949. Pride and Prejudice, on the other hand, would not work for historical, because the setting is contemporaneous with the time it was written.

Many (most?) dystopian/post-apocalytic/science fiction books don't specify exactly when they take place - but this type of book is clearly not present or past, so will qualify as "future."

message 2: by Sandy (last edited Nov 21, 2010 10:03AM) (new)

message 3: by Sandy (last edited Nov 23, 2010 08:49PM) (new)

message 4: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 1678 comments Is Snow Falling on Cedars Historical Fiction. Thanks.

message 5: by Sandy (new)

Kathy G. wrote: "Is Snow Falling on Cedars Historical Fiction. Thanks."

Yep - written in 1994, set in 1954 - so it meets the 30 years test

message 6: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1334 comments Lily of the Nile by Stephanie Dray is a historical fiction/fantasy that follows Cleopatra's Daughter. I highly recommend!

I may re-read it or if I get through my tbr-own list, grab something from my TBR list. Goes for the future tasks, too.

message 7: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (SheilaJ) | 1701 comments Hi Sandy I've been working on my "plan" and was wondering about The Christmas Quilt by Jennifer Chiaverini for the historical book for this task. It starts in current times but when blocks for a long forgotten Christmas Quilt are found in the attic the story transports back to the depression era.

The Christmas Quilt

message 8: by Riona (new)

Riona (rionafaith) Does Water for Elephants count as historical? I believe it's set during the Depression.

message 9: by Sandy (new)

Riona wrote: "Does Water for Elephants count as historical? I believe it's set during the Depression."

Yep, that works (and it's a terrific book, too!)

message 10: by Sandy (new)

Sheila wrote: "Hi Sandy I've been working on my "plan" and was wondering about The Christmas Quilt by Jennifer Chiaverini for the historical book for this task. It starts in current times but when blocks for a ..."

It's been awhile since I read this one, and I seem to recall a significant part of it being set in the past - if so, it works.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) | 1986 comments Would "Catching Fire" work for future?

message 12: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 4776 comments if anyone needs a book set in the future - JD Robb's In Death series (starts with Naked in Death) are all set in 2058 NYC

message 13: by Sandy (new)

Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "Would "Catching Fire" work for future?"

yes - I don't think any of these books specify dates, but they are clearly in the future.

message 14: by Erin (new)

Erin (eecamp) | 149 comments Would The Children of Men work for the future? It's definitely a dystopian novel, but it was published in 1992, and the description says it takes place in 2021...only 29 years.

Thanks!

message 15: by Sandy (new)

Erin wrote: "Would The Children of Men work for the future? It's definitely a dystopian novel, but it was published in 1992, and the description says it takes place in 2021...only 29 years.

Thanks!"

I'll take it. It's clearly a "future" novel.

message 16: by Beth (new)

Beth (MommaLioness) | 608 comments Will the Avalon Series by Marion Zimmer Bradley work of historical novel?

message 17: by Sandy (new)

Beth NC wrote: "Will the Avalon Series by Marion Zimmer Bradley work of historical novel?"

Yes - it takes place in an Earth context (as opposed to a complete fantasy world) and deals with the Arthurian period, so that will work.

message 18: by Inez (new)

Inez | 59 comments The Andromeda Strain would this work for the furture? Thank you for your help.

message 19: by chucklesthescot (last edited Nov 22, 2010 10:47AM) (new)

chucklesthescot I recently bought Gone but don't know exactly when the book is set. It sounds futuristic so does anyone know if it would be suitable for part 2?

Also Uglies, The Forest of Hands and Teeth and The Road

message 20: by Sandy (new)

Inez wrote: "The Andromeda Strain would this work for the furture? Thank you for your help."

yes

message 21: by Sandy (new)

chucklesthescot wrote: "I recently bought Gone but don't know exactly when the book is set. It sounds futuristic so does anyone know if it would be suitable for part 2?

Also Uglies, Th..."</i>

Don't know about the other two, but [book:Uglies
and The Road are certainly future

message 22: by Inez (new)

Inez | 59 comments would Timeless work for the past?

message 23: by Sandy (new)

Inez wrote: "would Timeless work for the past?"

sounds good to me.

message 24: by Julie (new)

Julie | 109 comments Would any of the wrinkle in time books work for future? or The giver books?

message 25: by Sandy (new)

The Giver is set in a dystopian future, so those work. A Wrinkle in Time, though, while science fiction, is set in a contemporary world, not the future, so that group of books won't work.

message 26: by Sandy (new)

FYI - I'm going to be away until Sunday, and will have limited computer access. I'll try to get on here and answer questions if possible, but can't promise anything.

Happy Thanksgiving!

message 27: by Stina (new)

Stina (stinalynne04) Would The Invention of Hugo Cabretwork for historical fiction? It is set in 1931 and was published in 2007.

message 28: by Julie (new)

Julie | 109 comments Thanks!

message 29: by Petra (new)

Petra Would John Wyndham books be considered "future" (Part B)? His books are mainly post-apocaliptic type of settings where something catastrophic happened (caused by humans) and the survivors are continuing.
I was thinking of either The Chrysalids or Chocky.

message 30: by Sandy (new)

Christina wrote: "Would The Invention of Hugo Cabretwork for historical fiction? It is set in 1931 and was published in 2007."

yes

message 31: by Sandy (new)

Petra wrote: "Would John Wyndham books be considered "future" (Part B)? His books are mainly post-apocaliptic type of settings where something catastrophic happened (caused by humans) and the surv..."

The Chrysalids sounds like it would work, but Chocky doesn't sounds as if it's set in the future. A lot of his books, like Midwich Cuckoos, aren't necessarily set in the future, they're set in a contemporary time, but then science fictiony things happen.

message 32: by Petra (new)

Petra Thanks, Sandy! I'll use The Chrysalids.

message 33: by Sandy (new)

KatieDE wrote: "Just for clarification...

Does The Poisonwood Bible work? Set in 1959, published 1998."

sure.

message 34: by Meagan (new)

Meagan | 125 comments Would The City of Ember count as future?

message 35: by Sandy (new)

Meagan wrote: "Would The City of Ember count as future?"

If it takes place on earth, it would, since it sure sounds like it would be in our future. If it's a fantasy planet not related to earth, no.

message 36: by Meagan (new)

Meagan | 125 comments City of Ember takes place on Earth...
"Unidentified architects and engineers, referred to as "the Builders", designed a self-contained city that would include everything necessary for its inhabitants to survive for a period of 200 years. During that time, the Earth would be uninhabitable for an unspecified reason."

message 37: by Sandy (new)

Meagan wrote: "City of Ember takes place on Earth...
"Unidentified architects and engineers, referred to as "the Builders", designed a self-contained city that would include everything necessary for its inhabita..."

so that works!

message 38: by Cindy AL (new)

Cindy AL (cangelmd) | 644 comments Just started Bitter Seeds by Ian Tregillan (wow, it's not in Goodreads yet). It is an alternative history book about World War II. I was going to use it in a different slot, but would alternative history count for historical fiction or do you want straight historical fiction?

message 39: by Sandy (new)

Cindy AL wrote: "Just started Bitter Seeds by Ian Tregillan (wow, it's not in Goodreads yet). It is an alternative history book about World War II. I was going to use it in a different slot, but would alternative h..."

No, alternative history is okay. I'm just looking for past and future, not contemporary - but fantasy past works, just as fantasy future does!

message 40: by Kathryn CA (new)

Kathryn CA (kathrynlouwCA) | 922 comments Just checking, does Little Town on the Prairie qualify for part a?

message 41: by Cindy AL (new)

Cindy AL (cangelmd) | 644 comments I found it, sorry, thanks for the reply Bitter Seeds.

message 42: by Sandy (new)

Kathryn wrote: "Just checking, does Little Town on the Prairie qualify for part a?"

Sure - it was written in 1941, and set in the late 19th century, so that works.

message 43: by Valorie (new)

Valorie  | 723 comments Will A Kiss Before the Apocalypse work for part B?

message 44: by Sandy (new)

Valorie wrote: "Will A Kiss Before the Apocalypse work for part B?"

I can't tell from the description when it's set - a lot of urban fantasy is set in a contemporary setting. Paranormal doesn't necessarily equal future. If it's set in the future, sure - if it's paranormal action set in a contemporary time, then no.

message 45: by Valorie (new)

Valorie  | 723 comments Sandy wrote: "Valorie wrote: "Will A Kiss Before the Apocalypse work for part B?"

I can't tell from the description when it's set - a lot of urban fantasy is set in a contemporary setting. Pa..."

Ok thanks!

message 46: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (shorty_320) | 1382 comments Will Castle Waiting work for part A?

message 47: by KSMary (new)

KSMary | 359 comments Will you accept The Host for the task? It appears that it takes place at the end of an alien invasion on Earth where there are few humans left on the planet. If not, I'll find someplace else for it.

message 48: by Sandy (new)

Stacie wrote: "Will Castle Waiting work for part A?"

It seems clearly set in "olden times" - since it's listed as a fantasy novel, it works if it's set on earth, not on some fantasy planet. Since it seems to be a retelling of fairy tales, I'll accept it as earth set unless there's an indication that it's on some other world.

message 49: by KSMary (new)

KSMary | 359 comments I think you might have skipped my question about The Host. Will it work for this task?

message 50: by Sandy (new)

KSMary wrote: "I think you might have skipped my question about The Host. Will it work for this task?"

I'm sorry. I think it works - it's future and it's earth.

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

1984 (other topics)
Pride and Prejudice (other topics)
Snow Falling on Cedars (other topics)
Lily of the Nile (other topics)
The Christmas Quilt (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Stephanie Dray (other topics)
Marion Zimmer Bradley (other topics)