The Book Addicts! discussion

Book Discussions > Room- No Spoilers Please

Comments (showing 1-50 of 51) (51 new)    post a comment »

Jill (Jillybeans) | 4474 comments Hey Everyone! Who is planning on reading this book for December? We got an awful lot of votes for it so I am looking forward to a lively discussion.

Please only discuss reading the book, not any spoilers. We will create a spoiler thread December 1st.

Thanks,

Jill

Marialyce | 1240 comments I read this book and am anxious to see what others think.

AmandaLil (dandado86) | 48 comments Marialyce wrote: "I read this book and am anxious to see what others think."

Me too!

Sylvia (mustlovebooksalot) I'm going to read this one. If I get through that (and the other books I want to read for December) I'll be moving on to Henrietta Sacks.

Kristi (KristiCasey) | 660 comments I bought it. Normally this would be a book I'd be dieing to read. However, I'm sort of a light-hearted reader typically in December, so ...still going back and forth on reading it.

Silver | 651 comments I have ordered this book and waiting for it to arrive, which should be soon. The book intrigues me, I think it is a book that could easily go either way. I think the concept could be quite innovative and compelling if the author handles it right, but I think if it is not done right it could be failure. I have read mixed reviews.

Maggie | 828 comments Based on the recommendations here and on librarything.com, I purchased a copy several weeks ago. This will give me the impetus to take it off the stacks.

Amalia (amalia_c) I'm in, though I have to finish my last book for the 2010 challenge as well :)

Jane (RougeAllure) | 8 comments I'm going to read this too-hopefully I'll be getting it for my birthday on the 4th December...

Themis | 27 comments I'm not too excited about it. But I'll give it a try if I can find it at the library.

Kaliki I really hope to get to it!

Rachel Renee (RedSycamore) | 13 comments Silver wrote: "The book intrigues me, I think it is a book that could easily go either way. I think the concept could be quite innovative and compelling if the author handles it right, but I think if it is not done right it could be failure..."

I completely agree. I've heard good things, but it seems like the book could very easily come across as contrived and gimmicky...

Jill (Jillybeans) | 4474 comments I wasn't too sure either, but I have heard a lot of people who like other books I like now claim the author is a favorite after reading Room.

We shall see. Amazon says it's on its way!

Maggie | 828 comments Rachel Renee wrote: "I completely agree. I've heard good things, but it seems like the book could very easily come across as contrived and gimmicky... "

I think it's important to remember that this book is based on a real-life incident. So no matter how the book might handle it, it was real to some poor woman and her child(ren).

Jill (Jillybeans) | 4474 comments Oh Maggie, I didn't even realize that!

Jill (Jillybeans) | 4474 comments I read the book in one day over the weekend. Can't wait until December to discuss it. Gave it 4 stars.

Kristina (Kristina3880) I just finished this book. This is my favorite book of 2010. I can not wait to discuss it.

Chris (ChrisTMax) | 189 comments It is an amazing book, hard to put down, I stayed up late as I just couldn't go to bed without finishing it!!

Raindropmelody I found this one hard to get into at first, adjusting to the way it was written from the child's point of view. After that i was engrossed. I've read just over half and i'm planning on finishing it today.

Penne | 3 comments I am about half way through this book and I absolutely love it!!!!!!

Raindropmelody Finished. Fantastic! I was worried when i started it that i wasn't going to be able to get into it. But it really is a great read.

Maggie | 828 comments Chris wrote: "It is an amazing book, hard to put down, I stayed up late as I just couldn't go to bed without finishing it!!"

Good to know. I'll try to start it just before a weekend.

Rachel Renee (RedSycamore) | 13 comments Jill wrote: "Oh Maggie, I didn't even realize that!"
Wow, me neither! What an ordeal to go through. Can't wait to start this book; it's next up in my TBR pile.

Silver | 651 comments I just started reading the book, and though I am sure it is difficult to try and right something in the voice of a child, and perhaps part of it is the isolation in which they are living but it strikes me that Jack seems a bit immature for his age. I will see what happens as the story progresses but thus far it gives me the impression that the author does not have a lot of actual experience with children.

Silver | 651 comments I have to admit, I find the breast feeding to be a bit disturbing.

message 26: by Judi/Judith (last edited Dec 03, 2010 03:31PM) (new)

Judi/Judith Riddle (judipatooti) | 1317 comments I started reading this book and found it distasteful. Even though the book was based on a real incident I couldn't read much further than the first chapter. How many five year olds talk in this cryptic baby talk language? I feel as though I missed something along the line and I'm sorry for that!

Silver | 651 comments Judith wrote: "I started reading this book and found it distasteful. Even though the book was based on a real incident I couldn't read much further than the first chapter. How many five year olds talk in this c..."

Yes! That is one of the problems I have with this book, it gives the feeling that in the authors efforts to convey the child's voice she overreached and gave him this ridiculous baby talk.

I also find it a bit inconsistent the he uses words like penis and vagina, which most five year olds I don't think would but then he will use this cave man like speach for sentences in which a typical five your old would be capable of being more articulate.

The only justification I can try to make is considering the situation in which they are living in, that Jack has not developed normally becasue of his lack of social interaction and limited learning opportunities.

Marialyce | 1240 comments I found the same issues with this novel. The five year old speech is a lot more developed that what the author purports Jack to be saying. Even within the confines of the room, they did have TV, and he would have acquired speech patterns from the shows he watched. I wondered if the author was trying to make him too babyish and did so by making him utter staccato type speak.

For some reason, this annoyed me as well as the "I want some" phrase. I realize that many so enjoyed this book and that is wonderful, but for me it was not one I would recommend.

Silver | 651 comments Marialyce wrote: "For some reason, this annoyed me as well as the "I want some" phrase. "

I was highly disturbed by that whole thing. It was just kind of ooky reading it. It was just like dang woman, even of you are being held prisoner you need to wheene your child. They have and eat regular food. There is no reason for that.

Silver | 651 comments It is kind of annoying the way in which Ma names all the characters in books she reads after Jack.

Sylvia (mustlovebooksalot) I had a hard time getting into it but now I'm totally engrossed. Good story....

Terry | 2 comments When I first became aware of this book I did not care to read it. But since it was a chosen read I decided it may be a good book since her book Slamerkin was really a great read. But after 30 something pages I am done. This book is incredibly contrived. The inconsistency in the boy's language is ridiculous. His grammar and vocabulary do not seem realistic. I also tried to give the author the benefit of the doubt by thinking that the odd situation was the reason for Jack's odd way of speaking, but I just wasn't buying it. I really liked Slamerkin so I would read another of her books but Room, I have no desire to finish.

Silver | 651 comments Terry wrote: "When I first became aware of this book I did not care to read it. But since it was a chosen read I decided it may be a good book since her book Slamerkin was really a great read. But after 30 som..."

Yes I am glad I am not the only one that noticed and was bothered by the inconsistency in Jack's language, and the way of his speaking. His baby-like talk, and at times near cave-man speech did not at all seem believable for a five year old, and I have a five year old niece and she sounds nothing like that.

Jack sounded at times much more like my two year old niece, yet at times he would suddenly speak rather sophisticated sentences.

The author just did not seem to have a very good handle on how exactly to carry out a book with a child narrator in a way that would convey the fact that the child was a narrator, while still being able to tell a readable story and make it realistic.

I too did try to justify it in terms of the conditions in which Jack was living, but it did not quite work for me, or make it come off any better.

Maggie | 828 comments Sylvia wrote: "I had a hard time getting into it but now I'm totally engrossed. Good story...."

I'm hoping I can get to your point. So far, I'm on the bandwagon with the "speech pattern of Jack doesn't work." I will press on this evening and see if it improves.

Yorky Caz (YorkyCaz) | 2195 comments Well im about a year late with this read but just picked up Room for my Kindle on offer at 0.89p!

Jill (Jillybeans) | 4474 comments what did you think about it, Yorky?

Yorky Caz (YorkyCaz) | 2195 comments I havent started it yet lol why do I have to work for a living I have so many better things I could do with my time lol

Jill (Jillybeans) | 4474 comments I know what you mean!

Janet (goodreadscomJanBookFan) | 815 comments Yorky, that's quite a bargain price. I read the book about a year ago and loved it. I think it was one of my 4 stars, and book has to be very good in my mind to get that rating.

You will get no spoilers from me. I hope you enjoy your bargain!

Linda Boyd (lboyd5900attnet) | 114 comments Yorky, I just finished the audio version recently. I would love to discuss with you when you get a chance to read it. I loved it by the way.

Yorky Caz (YorkyCaz) | 2195 comments I will put it next on my list to read and let you know what I think Linda :-)

Jill (Jillybeans) | 4474 comments I liked how the book made me think about how I would react and really live with the mother and son in their tiny little world.

Linda Boyd (lboyd5900attnet) | 114 comments I agree Jill, I did think at times that Ma did a really good job with "educating" Jack. I don't want to say to much since Yorky is planning on reading it.

Yorky Caz (YorkyCaz) | 2195 comments oh this is mean...*Reajusts her TBR list*

Jill (Jillybeans) | 4474 comments tee hee hee

Yorky Caz (YorkyCaz) | 2195 comments Read it now lol, I loved it I was waiting for it to kick in as I got a bit in and thought hmmm if the whole book is like this its gonna drag a tag and then flew through it!

Yorky Caz (YorkyCaz) | 2195 comments Silver wrote: "Marialyce wrote: "For some reason, this annoyed me as well as the "I want some" phrase. "

I was highly disturbed by that whole thing. It was just kind of ooky reading it. It was just like dang w..."

But how would she know at what age she had to stop feeding him like that? she only had a few books none of which were on child care

message 48: by Cecily (last edited Jan 07, 2013 01:20PM) (new)

Cecily | 17 comments Silver wrote: "...in the authors efforts to convey the child's voice she overreached and gave him this ridiculous baby talk.

I also find it a bit inconsistent the he uses words like penis and vagina... "

Yep, that was a major irritation for me, too: it's just too inconsistent. Jack has a very good vocabulary for his age (fair enough), and yet there are a few really basic words that he seems not to know (instead of "a man" or "the woman" he refers to "a he" and "the she" ). It’s as if you can see Donoghue weighing up the need for Jack to be intelligent and insightful enough to tell the story in an engaging way with the need to tick certain boxes to make it clear he is just a small child.

It's similar with the breastfeeding. I don't find it surprising (it's not THAT unusual even in the "real world"): it’s comforting for both of them. What is surprising is that the word itself seems to be taboo and yet “penis” and “vagina” aren't.

Ashley | 5 comments Loved this book, seriously couldn't put it down. Heart-wrenching to think this could very much be reality for someone.

Maggie | 828 comments Ashley, there was a discussion on this book, which you might like to see. It's several pages back, so I thought I'd give you the link: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/4...

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Slammerkin (other topics)