Q&A with James Patterson discussion

Juvenile/YA Fiction

Comments (showing 3-52)    post a comment »

message 52: by Katniss (new)

Katniss (Purplemargay) Hi Mr. Patterson
I was wondering which of your series you like the best.

message 51: by James (new)

James Patterson (JamesPatterson) | 53 comments Mod
Hi Ishmael--glad to know you're enjoying MDW. I put a lot of work into it. I see a lot of your posts (though you guys are way too fast and tech savvy for me!) and everything that goes onto the site from the publisher's end I see. I love how it's thriving, I love the creativity coming out of it. We're going to do something very soon with video submissions, if you're up for making some videos.

As for all the ANGEL plot questions... c'mon, man, you're going to have to wait til Valentines Day, I can't give out any spoilers!

Tell everyone over there I said hi.

message 50: by James (new)

When the Wind Blows was so enjoyable, I decided to make a spinoff of sorts, and Max was born.

Do you write already? Your comment/question was so prolific, I'd say chances are pretty high you'd be a great writer, if not already! Keep it up.

message 49: by Kayla (new)

Kayla (musicequalslove) | 16 comments YouDon't wrote: "Well, that's why I like the two of them....GO PYRO PEOPLE!!!"
lol, i love pyro maniacs.

message 48: by Dragonrider (new)

Dragonrider | 84 comments :D

message 47: by Kari (new)

Kari Spencer (emo-punk-scene-goth) Kayla wrote: "Dragonrider wrote: "James wrote: "I'm worried he might spend the whole book trying to blow things up! He's due one, though, isn't he?"

Iggy would do the same. :D"

Him and the Gasman both! Those t..."

Well, that's why I like the two of them....GO PYRO PEOPLE!!!

message 46: by Afsana (new)

Afsana (afsanaz) Abby wrote: "I can't wait for the 2nd book of witch and wizard!
abby"

its already out

have had my copy for a week or so and it was out for a bit before that

(in the uk at least)

Witch and Wizard 2 Witch & Wizard 2. The Gift by James Patterson

message 45: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Anne (rachelanniexo) Dragonrider wrote: "James wrote: "I'm worried he might spend the whole book trying to blow things up! He's due one, though, isn't he?"

Only Iggy would cook and be sarcastic when he's not blowing stuff up. Gasman...wouldn't.

message 44: by Abby (new)

Abby (bestballetdancerever) | 3 comments I can't wait for the 2nd book of witch and wizard!
abby

message 43: by Kayla (new)

Kayla (musicequalslove) | 16 comments Dragonrider wrote: "James wrote: "I'm worried he might spend the whole book trying to blow things up! He's due one, though, isn't he?"

Him and the Gasman both! Those two are thicker than thieves imo.

message 42: by Ishmael (last edited Nov 18, 2010 07:24PM) (new)

Ishmael Aerych | 2 comments Hello Mr. Patterson!
A few close friends of mine and I are very active on your young-adult website, Max-Dan-Wiz.com, and we were very excited about the first eight chapters of "ANGEL: A Maximum ride Novel" that you released on your personal fansite. We have lots of questions, but only a few that we were really eager to get answers to. Some of the questions were:

1) Will we be seeing any of the older characters? Marian Janssen, Max II, Roland ter Borcht, Anne Walker, and Mike the Hacker all had very distinct personalities and histories. Having seen none of them since "Saving the World and Other Extreme Sports" we were wondering if we'd be meeting up with any of them again?

2) We've been very surprised at the amount of attention Ella and Valencia Martinez got in the first few chapters of ANGEL, especially that statement by Ella regarding Iggy. Does this mean that they'll have bigger roles?

3) Total got married at the end of FANG, and we haven't seen him yet in ANGEL. Is he still there?

4) The return of the Erasers and Eraser-Max-in-the-Mirror surprised and excited a lot of us. Will you be doing more with these things?

5) The Voice has always been one of the bigger mysteries of the Maximum Ride novels (aside from Jeb and Angel, of course!) and has given rise to a huge amount of speculation on Max-Dan-Wiz. I know you can't tell us who it is, but will Max or the flock ever run into them?

6) I've mentioned Max-Dan-Wiz a few times now. Many of the people there are curious as to how often you look at the site, and would doubtlessly faint with glee if they knew that they had your attention. How often do you glance at Max-Dan-Wiz, and if often, have you seen any posts recently that you really like?

If you could answer any of these, we'd all be really grateful, and it would give us lots to talk about between now and February 14!

message 41: by Chai (new)

Chai (Timid) | 2 comments Dear Mr. Patterson,

This might seem like more of a letter than a comment full of questions... :) I really like your writing style, especially for maximum ride. My friends all say I look like max and even act like her, but Max has been through a lot more than I have. In the past, I would try to write my own novels, but I only end up leaving them In a closet full of forgotten Ideas. One day, I got a great idea for a novel, and this time I really tried hard not to let go. So far, I have been writing since september, And I have come up with about 14 chapters. (some are longer than others). What has helped me whenever I get stuck, is maximum ride. I always run to my collection, getting ideas and Plans for upcoming chapters. Thank You for writing such excellent books. The way you write and how you write has really inspired and helped me with my own developing stories. Here are a few questions:

1. Do you have notes or just sheets of ideas for maximum ride chapters, or concepts for upcoming MR books?

2. I read the first chapter of A book like maximum ride you have written, and the young girl's name and appearance is just like max. Is this is where you got the idea of maximum ride? And why did you make a new series that was longer than those other books, about a very similar character?

3. Why did you become an author, and how did you become this famous?

4. Do you get ideas from other authors?

5. When did you start thinking about being a writer?

6. with practice and hard work, do you think even I could be a good author?

message 40: by Erin (new)

Erin (MaxFan) | 1 comments Love the MR series with all my heart, but I do have a quesion. (Not to sound mean) Are you crazy getting rid of Fang? Lots of us are ready to rip your throat out because of that. Did not want to sound mean or anything. I just really want to know

message 39: by Haley (new)

Haley (heysteeve) | 2 comments Hi Mr. Patterson! my name is Haley by the way. I've never done an author Q&A before! I love the Max series and the first W&W book.

I submitted to the contest that was held back in March for writing a chapter of the book Fang. I was wondering when the results would come around/if I will get notified about participation or whatever?

Thanks for writing the series, I love how you portray Max. A lot of times guys don't do girls right in books :)

message 38: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Paul | 1 comments I was wondering, how do you write all the books? I mean you have several series out, and you constantly keep producing more, at a very fast pace compared to some other authors. So how do you do it?

message 37: by Dragonrider (new)

Dragonrider | 84 comments James wrote: "I'm worried he might spend the whole book trying to blow things up! He's due one, though, isn't he?"

Iggy would do the same. :D

message 36: by James (new)

Witch & Wizard and Maximum Ride have a loyal following of both kids and adults. Tough to say who's in the lead, at this point.

message 35: by James (new)

I'm worried he might spend the whole book trying to blow things up! He's due one, though, isn't he?

message 34: by Kayla (new)

Kayla (musicequalslove) | 16 comments Hi Mr. Patterson,(I'm going to try to make the questions short)

First off I want to tell you that I've read both the maximum ride series and the Daniel X series. I was wondering if you are working on the fourth book of the D X series. In Demons and Durids;
1)When Daniel time traveled back to the past how did his friends get separated from him? What was one of the adventures that they encountered. (See, when I was reading Demons and Druids was when I was on a 14 hour flight home. And I know that Daniel has a crush on one of his friends but I don't remember her name.)
2)What inspired you to write and come up with the characters?
3)Why are elephants e.ts?

In the maximum ride series:
1)Will we ever find out who else controls the voice in Max's head?
2)How did Jeb sneak the flock to his house in the remote area?
3)I thought Wu died in Max. How did he live that explosion?

Thank you so much Mr. Patterson. These books has made my day every time I read them.

message 33: by Kari (last edited Nov 19, 2010 11:48AM) (new)

Kari Spencer (emo-punk-scene-goth) Mr. Patterson, how exactly did you come up with characters that seemed so realistic, like actual teenagers going through the fact that they were expiramented on when they were babies. Well, obviously not all of them are teenagers, though they seem to pop out of the book like they all are. Even Angel seems to be so mature for her age.The Maximum Ride series has me hooked, and I just wanted to know if your characters are based off of anyone you know in real life...

message 32: by Gabriel (new)

Gabriel | 1 comments Mr. Patterson I think that you should make a gasman book right after Angel.

message 31: by Emily (new)

Emily (emigirl1013) | 3 comments Why the heck did you have to make Fang come back to life? Why not just kill him and be done with it?

message 30: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Anne (rachelanniexo) Kayla G wrote: "NoneOf wrote: "Kayla G wrote: "That is true"

What is true?"

That it's amazing that a man write very well from a teenage girl's perspective"

Ahh, yes that. Indeed....

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

NoneOf wrote: "Kayla G wrote: "That is true"

What is true?"

That it's amazing that a man write very well from a teenage girl's perspective

message 28: by Susan (new)

Susan (SuperBookFreak) Mr. Patterson,

Do you think that teenagers like your books as much as the adults?

message 27: by Alison (new)

Alison (Aliy) | 2 comments Hello Mr. Patterson,
I have a 9 year old boy Justice, who's addicted to Daniel X and my 66 year old father Mike, read only one real book in his life until we introduced him to your work. So here's a hearty Thank You for giving such a wide range of generations something in common.
Keep those books coming.
Sincerely,
Alison

message 26: by Katniss (new)

Katniss (Purplemargay) Hi Mr. Patterson
I just wanted to say thank you for writing so many great books. I am an avid reader and your books are some of the best I've read in a long time.
Thank you!

message 25: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (madcartney) | 5 comments Mr. Patterson---can I just say that I freaking LOVE the Maximum Ride series--they're amazing! I know I sound like a nerd, but...I got through the Angel Experiment in 4 hours or so....anyway.

I have a few questions concerning the books:
1) What brought you to write the character Dylan?
2) Why did you have the Institute set in New York?
3) How does the voice in Max's head work? I really never understood it.
4) Also, why did you make Angel's personality change so drastically in the 3rd book when they're at the School and all?

I also have to say that I LOVE Total!

Thanks for the great series!

message 24: by Randi (new)

Randi (The Artist Formerly known as Guitar Chick) (GuitarChick) | 8 comments Hey, Mr Patterson.
I had many questions at first, seeing as a lot of people are asking a lot of questions, I kept it down to what I considered the msot important.

At about book three on Maximum Ride, people were starting to give very harsh reviews. How do you deal with the negative critiques of others?

message 23: by Mie (new)

Mie | 2 comments I love Max Ride and her crew and also Daniel X I have all the Max Ride books (includes the graphic novels) and the Daniel X Graphic novel.

message 22: by Mary (new)

Mary Stevens | 5 comments James wrote: "Angel sees a lot of growth in the next one, which comes out on Valentines Day. You'll like it.

On killing off any characters--now, why would I tell you that?!"

Wow!!! I'm so excited for it! Aww... I really want to know. But I've made my own assumptions! (Angel, Jeb, and quite possibly Max. (Not real sure on that last one, but you never know! (Well, Mr. Patterson knows. (Not that that really counts, 'cause he writes the series!))))
I also think that there might be something behind the date that was chosen for the release. Hm... Might it have to do with Fax?
-Mary

message 21: by James (new)

Angel sees a lot of growth in the next one, which comes out on Valentines Day. You'll like it.

On killing off any characters--now, why would I tell you that?!

message 20: by Jacob (new)

Jacob Whitlock | 3 comments you should write more of the max ride series what happens with fang? what will become of max and fangs relatship if they meet agian? will they ever meet again? does fang find a flock like his old? and Fang is by best I wish he was my brother my brother is as lazy as a turtle hope you make more they are will great books

message 19: by s-hastings (new)

s-hastings (spencercavanaugh) Hi Mr. Patterson,
I have a few questions for you:
1) What can you say about Angel: A Maximum Ride Novel
2) Will it be the last one (I hope not! :) )
3) Are you working on any new projects?
4) How did you come up with all of your characters in Maximum Ride? (Max, Fang, and Nudge are my favs :) )

message 18: by Macalla (new)

Macalla | 3 comments Tris I so agree and I also can't wait till February!!!

message 17: by Tris (new)

Tris | 1 comments Hello Mr> Patterson,
I am an 11 year old boy who really likes the Maximum Ride books so far. I didn't like that Fang left though! I was wondering if you might write a book that has Iggy and Gazzy going to look for Fang? Maybe Angel would follow them? I can't wait til February!
Tris

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

That is true

message 15: by Kari (last edited Nov 16, 2010 06:24PM) (new)

Kari Spencer (emo-punk-scene-goth) Mr.Patterson, I am a HUGE fan of Maximum ride series, since they were one of the first book series that I did not want to put down, and I would like to ask you about that book series in particular. How are you so good at writing from a girl around Max's age perspective? Most male writers cannot seem to get into a teenage girls brain as well as you can.

message 14: by Kat (new)

Kat (SugarAddict) I love Max Ride for a few reasons (Well at least the ones that I can come up off the top of my head.)

1. Max isn't all 'Save me!' like a lot of female characters. She's fierce and gets herself out of stuff.
2. Everytime you turn the page, there's something there that makes you think One more page, one more page and before you know it it's 2 AM and you miss the bus the next day/are late fore work
3. The characters are so unique, and they way you set them up. Like in some action books, it's usually 2 main characters, with a third who is the 'helper' in this I think it was really original. And it doesn't focus on Max all the time, even though she's the main person who the book is 'named' after.

message 13: by Dragonrider (new)

Dragonrider | 84 comments Just wondering can you say anything about the upcoming Maximum Ride book?

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi!!! I love your Maximum Ride series Mr. Patterson. I admire Max. We were asked to write an essay on an admiration of a character from a book or movie. I chose Max. And I really do admire her, I think she's an amazing charcter.

But I also have a question, Will Fang ever come back to Max? Please answer. I'd really like to know

message 11: by Ban (last edited Nov 16, 2010 01:55PM) (new)

Ban | 3 comments Hello Mr. Patterson. Firstly I'd like to say your Max Ride series was the first series I picked up and couldn't put down. It was quite the page turner.

I have a few questions if thats okay :)
1) There are currently 6 books out and the 7th is coming out soon. How long will the Max series be?
2) Angel isn't like any ordinary little girl. She has a creepy yet sweet side to her. Was it hard writing her considering she takes many turns?
3) Lastly, Im not sure if you can answer this. But are you planning to kill off any of your characters in the Max series?

Thank you for taking the time to ansewr my questions :D
Really love Maximum ride and I can't wait till the 7th book comes out. Hope thisngs turn out well for the flock, especially hope that the Fang and Max paring goes well :)

message 10: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Anne (rachelanniexo) Hello Mr. Patterson,
Just a few questions:
1) When you were about the same age as your YA characters, did you know you wanted to be a writer or did you think you wanted to be something else?
2) How do you really get inside your characters' heads? They're just so believable and alive.
Thanks,
MaxRideFan

message 9: by Tara (new)

Tara | 1 comments Dear Mr Patterson.
Thank you for writing such great enthralling books!!!
Maximum Ride is one of my all time favourite series. When is the next one in that series going to be released?
Sincerly,
Tara.

:D

message 8: by Debbie (last edited Nov 16, 2010 09:25AM) (new)

Debbie Roberts (djr58) | 2 comments Well, someone stole my question about writing teen vs. adult fiction *LOL*
I've read everything (so far) in the Maximum Ride series and just recently finished Witch & Wizard. Excellent, btw!
My daughter borrowed the book from me and I hope to see it again! Looking forward to reading The Gift.
I'm a (young) 52 years old and can easily switch between reading your adult fiction novels and those written for the younger set. How does it feel to know that "older" readers are heading for the teen section at bookstores? I'm soooooo not ashamed to be seen there buying your books! Best wishes for continued and much deserved success!

message 7: by James (new)

Hi Carissa--right now, I'm really proud of Witch & Wizard. I've been working on it for quite a while. I know a lot of good folks who blog on max-dan-wiz.com are on fanfiction, so I'll have to check this St. Fang out.

message 6: by James (new)

So you want a fourth Daniel X? Okay, you got it. Witch & Wizard: The Gift is out next month--and trust me, it's really good.

message 5: by James (new)

Hi Bart--as I was saying in the other thread, I don’t really find it more difficult to write for teens. The story’s got to be exciting, and I have to feel the emotion in each page of any of my books, otherwise it’s not going to work. Kids love to laugh--so I make sure to keep the story full of as many punchlines as there are punches. A couple old-school favorites are To Kill a Mockingbird, and those old Uncle Scrooge comics.

message 4: by AshleeArev (new)

AshleeArev | 1 comments Mr. Patterson;
I am a big fan of the Maximum Ride series and I just started Daniel X. I'm not even on page 12 and I already can't take my eyes of it. I also can't wait for Angel. My sister's going crazy since all that comes out of my mouth is "Can't wait for Angel to come out!" When I read Fang I cried like a baby, sure I was sad but in the end something had to happen.
I do have some questions;
1. What is your inspiration?
2. Do you identify with any of the characters?
3. This is probably the most stupid question you've ever read but, do you like writing to the world?
I write but I'm afraid to show my work.
That is all for now. I have to admire that you are very talented!
Another fan,
Misty.

message 3: by Keke (new)

Keke | 2 comments Hi Mr.Patterson,
I am obsessed with the Maximum Ride series! I counted down the days until Fang came out. Then made my mom take me to a bookstore to go get it. I cannot wait until Angel comes out and I hope to see Max and Fang get back together. If they don't, I guess Dylan is okay. Anyways, moving on, I know you probably won't see this, but I am still going to write it anyway. My questions are the following:
1) What is your favorite part about being an author?
2) What is your favorite book you have written?
3) Have you ever heard of Saint Fang of Boredom on fanfiction?
If not, you should go read some of her stories. They are hilarious.
4)Who is your favorite character that you have created?
5) Which character, out of the books for young adults you have written, do you think is the best role model?
I know it's a lot of question, but I am just curious to know. Anyways, this is long and you are probably busy so I guess I should end this.
From a book-lover,
Carissa

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Gift (other topics)
The Gift (other topics)