What's The Name of That Book??? discussion

Query Abandoned by Poster > YA Fiction - house on a cliff?

Comments (showing 1-14 of 14) (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chorine (new)

Chorine | 14 comments This was a book about a girl who goes to live with a family in a house that was, I think, on a cliff. There was one harrowing scene where someone falls over the cliff and is pulled back over the edge, or maybe she is the one who is rescued.

message 2: by Kate (new)

Kate (katespofford) | 227 comments This sounds a little bit like a couple of different books:

There was a trilogy by Caroline B. Cooney which was renamed Losing Christina. They were originally published in the 1990s and then rereleased with the new series name. The books were (not sure I have the right order): Fog, Fire, Snow. The girl goes to be a nanny to a family on a remote island. I feel like there may have been a cliff scene; the family is doing something bad that Christina discovers and then the parents try to kill her.
Losing Christina Collection

I seem to recall a scene in Lois Duncan's Stranger with My Face, which is about a girl who discovers that she has a twin sister. The two sisters learn how to astrally project themselves and then one steals the others' body. I believe one kills the other by pushing her off a cliff. Published in 1981.

I feel like there may have been a Christopher Pike book (maybe See You Later?) that involved a cliff scene. Published in the 1990s.

Another, more recent possibility: The House on the Gulf by Margaret Peterson Haddix. Summary: A sixteen-year-old boy arranges a housesitting job for the summer, but he starts acting strangely after his family moves in, and his sister begins to suspect they are not supposed to be there.

Any ideas as to how old the book might be, or when you read it?

message 3: by Chorine (new)

Chorine | 14 comments Thank you. It had to be before 1996, so maybe not the last one. I think it begins with the girl walking along the beach?

message 4: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 166 comments Is there a blind man on the beach with a guide dog, who in his childhood, lost his eyesight with a firecracker?

message 5: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Piper (RachelPiper) | 15 comments For a segment of Emily of New Moon by L.M. Montgomery, she goes to live with some elderly relatives in an old house near a cliff. As she is walking on the beach one day she does fall over the edge and spends a frightening length of time time clutching onto some plants on a sandy outcrop. She is eventually rescued by a man and his dog who happened to be walking by.

message 6: by Ash (new)

Ash (ashinscribbleland) | 62 comments It's probably way too new, but there was a scene strikingly similar to this in "Star Crossed" - Elizabeth C. Bunce

message 7: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) Emily of New Moon does indeed have that scene.
Star Crossed for the link on the other.

message 8: by oliviasbooks (last edited Mar 09, 2013 11:40PM) (new)

oliviasbooks | 186 comments Hmmm. Maybe The Crooked Gate or Violets Grow in Secret Places. Both are part of a series (Christian, though) and have scences in a house in a cliff. The former has the heroine - who spends time with her aunt - almost drowning, when she forgets the passing time in a cave below the cliff, the latter shows how the now homeless friend of the house's aged owner is saved in the last minute from jumping. Although I don't like preachy books I loved these in the 80s as a kid.

message 9: by Victoriap (new)

Victoriap | 4 comments Sounds so familiar - thought I'd post that I read a book around 1998 with a similar scene, only the main plot point was the girl was being preened by the woman of the house to take the place of her dead daughter which isn't relieved until the end (up until that point it goes from nice to creepy)

message 10: by Andria (new)

Andria (airdna) | 1551 comments Mod
Victoria, I know the one you're talking about. The title escapes me right now. Give me a minute and I'll come up with it.

message 11: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (ANewBegining) try The curse of the ruby necklace by Francine pascal

message 12: by Cheryl (new)

message 13: by bookel (new)

bookel | 1758 comments Maybe this one?

Goldengrove by Jill Paton Walsh

message 14: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (Iftcan) | 5134 comments Mod
I sent the OP a PM back in April, and she/he still hasn't come in. Therefore I'm moving this down to abandoned by poster

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The House on the Gulf (other topics)
See You Later (other topics)
Losing Christina Collection (other topics)
Stranger with My Face (other topics)
Emily of New Moon (other topics)