Novel Books & Reading Challenges discussion

Author Q&As > Kelley Armstrong (November 12th)

Comments (showing 151-187 of 187) (187 new)    post a comment »
1 2 4 next »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 151: by Kelley (new)

Kelley (KelleyArmstrong) Lisarenee wrote:

"You have a tendency to make your character’s romantic relationships span more than one book and sometimes years before they come to a true relationship. I like that you do that. Is it because of their Supernatural nature that they are more careful about just jumping into a relationship or do you want the books focusing more on the action and story line than the romance?"

Honestly? While I love a romantic subplot, both as a reader and writer, and wouldn't like doing a novel without one, it's not my focus. I like it in the background, with the action, mystery etc as the main plot.

message 152: by Kelley (new)

Kelley (KelleyArmstrong) Dawn wrote:

Okay, not sure how this works but hi, Kelley Armstrong. You're Canadian, right?

Yep, I am. And The Gathering will be my first paranormal book set entirely in Canada :)

message 153: by Heather (new)

Heather Tisdale (Horrorvacui000) Kelley wrote: "Brittney wrote:

Will you be writing more in the Darkest Powers series and more in the otherworld series about the werewolf clan more?

You'll find the YA answer just above this one. As for the O..."

That makes me sad. This was my first "adult series" and the first good paranormal series I had read. WotOW is what got me back into reading. So thank you.

I meant to be here earlier, but I got stuck at work. Sorry! I'm trying to skim through questions quickly to see if my questions have already been asked.

message 154: by Autumn (last edited Nov 12, 2010 06:22PM) (new)

Autumn (Abmort93) Hi Kelly!

My name is Autumn. The Darkest Powers is my favorite books as of yet. I've never been much of werewolf fan, but you've converted me. Thank you for bringing Derek into this world.

Okay, so I can't remember, but did Derek ever say Cloe was his mate? How does that relationship work? Does that automatically mean they will eventually get married? And does Aunt Lauren come around about Derek?

message 155: by Kelley (new)

Kelley (KelleyArmstrong) My kids are having friends over for the night and I'm having a tough time hiding out in my office to answer questions. As promised, I will get to them all--and any that come in overnight--tomorrow morning!

message 156: by Sashana (new)

Sashana | 6358 comments Thanks you so much, Kelley.

message 157: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 8415 comments Thanks Kelley. Have a nice evening.

message 158: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa (shyluck13) Kelley wrote: "Dawn wrote:

Okay, not sure how this works but hi, Kelley Armstrong. You're Canadian, right?

Yep, I am. And The Gathering will be my first paranormal book set entirely in Canada :)"

Yay! I'm Canadian, too, and love how you have scenes here!

Thanks for answering all our questions! It was great to hear from you!

message 159: by Heather (new)

Heather Tisdale (Horrorvacui000) Thank you Kelley!
If you keep writing N. Stafford books I'll help you out and buy them. I really liked the second one since it really forced you to get emotionally envolved due to the content. Also, thank you for being the only author who has written short stories that I love. Every now and then I find a good short story, but most of the time I'm distracted by them. Tales of the Otherworld surprised me and made me love your characters even more.

After reading through questions...
I know that a lot of characters are difficult to develop, but is there one that just kicked your butt harder than the rest?

Have you ever had any blooper moments when writing? An error or a rant that just made things funny? If so, what was it?
(I ask this because I once had a student write about Martin Luther's Ninety-Five feeces instead of his theses. The whole paper just didn't sound right.)

Sorry, I had more intellegent questions, but my brain hurts from today and I can't remember them now.

message 160: by Levilia (new)

Levilia | 4 comments Which one out of all the books you have written did you enjoy writing and why??

message 161: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 27 comments Hi Kelley, Like everyone else here I love your books. I have read them all and was thrilled to see you plan some more books about Nadia. My favourite is the Darkest Powers triology and I am eagerly anticipating the Gathering. I also really enjoy the stories on your website giving Derek & Simon's POV. Will you write more from their POV or include that in future books?

message 162: by Chelly (new)

Chelly (teamderek13) | 64 comments I don't know if this will be answered because it's after 8, but i wanted to know what inspired you to create this world? Do you feel you know everything about the Otherworld? or are there some things that fit and are added as time goes on?

message 163: by Chelly (new)

Chelly (teamderek13) | 64 comments Oh and who is your favorite character to write for?...
Do you have a favorite character in general?...
Are any of your characters based on you?

I apologize for bombarding you with questions- but i must ask :)

message 164: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie In Bitten we are introduced to Zachary Cain, and in Summoning we get hints from other characters to Derek's paternity. Will this be addressed or is it not that important to the two series given actions in Bitten? I do like the overlap with characters in Frostbitten and the Darkest Powers. It made for a nice cameo.

message 165: by Kristi (last edited Nov 12, 2010 10:37PM) (new)

Kristi (kristicastle) | 1 comments Hi Kelley,

Thank you dearly for sharing your world with all of us.

I have read all of your Otherworld novels on Kindle,(just getting to purchasing hard copies now for my bookshelf) then I purchase the audio and listen to relive the incredible stories - love it! Unfortunately I missed out on getting a copy of Angelic and it is no where to be found on Kindle. I have since purchased the Audio, but for me its not the same as being able to read the story first. My question is what are the chances of us seeing Angelic or any of your other all ready sold out - so sad for us - novellas on a service like Kindle? Thank you!

message 166: by Brandi (new)

Brandi (slayeresque) | 20 comments Hi Kelley, I just want to start by saying I love your books, and I have to say that I don't like most depictions of werewolves, but I love the Pack. :)

When you're writing, how much research do you do before you just write it? I have a tendency to do so much research I never actually get around to writing it.

And coming back to my love of the pack, I was wondering if we would ever get to see some stories from when Antonio and Jeremy were younger? I'd especially like to see something of what Nick's mom was like and how that went. Also stories of a younger Karl would be epic

I'd also like to say that I love how many things you do to keep in touch with your readers. I won one of the goodie bags from your 10,000 twitter follower give away.

And one last comment, I just want you to know how much I was yelling at Derek in your YA series for not going to the Pack. I mean I know Clayton's reputation makes them seem like the least safe place to be, but I really hope that at some point they at least meet in passing so that these kids realize there are people out there who would help them even if they don't stick around long enough to get that help.

Thanks again!

-Brandi

message 167: by Lisarenee (last edited Nov 13, 2010 03:23AM) (new)

Lisarenee | 8415 comments Kelley is still going to come on later, but I didn't want to accidentally miss her and not get the opportunity to properly thank her.

thanks flowers Pictures, Images and Photos

Kelley, Thank you so much for taking timeout of your busy schedule to discuss your books and answer our questions. Also, thank you for sharing your wonderful gift of writing with us. I think it's fun to enter the world of an author's imagination and escape reality for awhile. It's like taking a mini vacation. Lastly, please thank your family for sharing you with us. I hope you enjoyed yourself as much as we enjoyed having you.

Sincerely,
Lisarenee

message 168: by Lisarenee (last edited Nov 13, 2010 03:24AM) (new)

Lisarenee | 8415 comments Thank you Pictures, Images and Photos

A special note of thanks to Alison for setting this up. Thank you.

message 169: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 8415 comments Don't miss Kelley's upcoming releases:

To be released November 30th:
Counterfeit Magic (Women of the Otherworld) by Kelley Armstrong

To be released April 6th:
The Gathering (Darkness Rising, #1) by Kelley Armstrong

To be released July 26th:
Spell Bound - No cover as of yet

message 170: by Kelley (new)

Kelley (KelleyArmstrong) Okay, I'm back to answer the remaining questions. This spot marks the end-point for questions--I can get everything before it, but then I need to go and enjoy the weekend before my family realizes I'm working :)

message 171: by Kelley (new)

Is it difficult to try to weave a paranormal story into a real world current day setting? Can you let your imagination run wild? Do you need to research anything?

I won't say I've ever found it difficult. I do need to do a lot of research on the real life aspects, though--the setting etc.

message 172: by Kelley (new)

Kelley (KelleyArmstrong) Lauren wrote:

How did you come up with the idea for The Summoning?

Is Chloe a fiction character? Was she based off of somebody you know? How do you begin to develop your characters?

The idea for The Summoning came from a subplot in one of my adult novels.

All my characters are fictional. I may give them a couple of characteristics of people I know, but it's one trait from a bunch of people, so they don't actually resemble anyone in particular.

message 173: by Kelley (new)

Kelley (KelleyArmstrong) Leaf wrote:

1) If you get stuck while writing, particularly when writing the middle of a book, what helps inspire you? ( music, movies, other books, ext.)
2) On your website I saw that you have soundtracks for The Summoning and The Awakening. Are those songs that helped inspire the book or did fans vote on which songs best represented the books and you just posted it?

1) when I get stuck, it's just a matter of pushing until I get unstuck. I can use music to get me in the mindset for a character, but a block just requires unblocking--usually by brute force :)

2) for the YA soundtracks, they come from readers. I have posted my own soundtrack for the adult ones, but I found with the YA when I say "this song is the one I use for character x" I get a lot of "why?" "but that doesn't make sense" "that doesn't remind me of him/her at all" LOL So I just get their suggestions instead

message 174: by Kelley (new)

Kelley (KelleyArmstrong) Kathy wrote:

have you ever had a fan doing something that scared/ made you feel unconfortable?

what do you usually do when you want to relax?

Uncomfortable, yes. But that's very, very rare and it takes a lot of effort :)

To relax, I read, cook, hike, hang out with my family.

message 175: by Kelley (new)

Kelley (KelleyArmstrong) Selena wrote:

When was the first time that you heard about the supernatural? What was it? Why are you so interested in it?

I've been fascinated by the paranormal all my life. It goes back so far that I don't remember how it started. I think what interests me is the "magic" it can add to ordinary life.

message 176: by Kelley (new)

Which book did you have the most fun writing and why?

I noticed you switched back to using chapter numbers. Was this due to the popularity of ebooks which don't list page numbers?

The latest one is always the most fun...at least until I've hit the proof pages and read it a half-dozen times, by which point it's not nearly as much fun and I'm eager for the next one.

The chapter headings are dictated by character. Elena's are one word titles, like her book titles. Paige got longer, more tongue-in-cheek chapter titles. Savannah, like Eve, gets numbers. I imagine how the character would title them. Savannah wouldn't fuss with being more creative for something as simple as chapter titles :)

message 177: by Kelley (new)

Kelley (KelleyArmstrong) Victoria wrote:

Who was your inspiration to write was it hard to begin? I'm struggling because I have all these ideas and I don't know how to put them on paper. Please help me

Writing for me is like my interest in the supernatural--it's been part of my life for as long as I can remember. That means I'm really crappy at helping people start writing. I honestly don't remember that very early part of the process, learning to make ideas into stories. I usually advise new writers to jot down their ideas first, so they can relax--get the basic idea on paper. Then just start writing. It's trial-and-error. If one version doesn't work, try another. That's how most of us learn.

message 178: by Kelley (last edited Nov 13, 2010 05:22AM) (new)

Kelley (KelleyArmstrong) Autumn wrote:

Okay, so I can't remember, but did Derek ever say Cloe was his mate? How does that relationship work? Does that automatically mean they will eventually get married? And does Aunt Lauren come around about Derek?

Derek wouldn't think of Chloe in terms of a "mate." Most werewolves don't. The two guys who teased him about that were just being sarcastic. Now, wolves do mate for life, so a werewolf feels that instinct and if he's going to have a relationship, he'd rather it was a long-term one. That explains why Derek has never wanted a girlfriend before. He wouldn't be interested in the short-term dating that Simon does--it doesn't make sense to the wolf side of him.

message 179: by Kelley (new)

Kelley (KelleyArmstrong) Heather wrote:

I know that a lot of characters are difficult to develop, but is there one that just kicked your butt harder than the rest?

Have you ever had any blooper moments when writing? An error or a rant that just made things funny? If so, what was it?

Eve was the toughest because we have the least in common. With Elena, she's my age, from my region etc. With Paige, we're both programmers and have other traits in common. With Eve, all we both have is a daughter. So I really had to play that one up to get into her head.

Favourite typo? In Savage, Clay was talking about Jeremy teaching him how to behave in public. So there was a line about "public behaviour." Except it read "pubic behaviour." Now this was an online story, so it was VERY easy to change--I just needed someone to point it out. But it was online for years, with thousands of readers, before someone said "Uh, Kelley, I think you meant public, not pubic." I have no idea what "pubic behaviour" is, but it must have made perfect sense to a lot of people LOL

message 180: by Kelley (new)

Kelley (KelleyArmstrong) Levilia wrote: "Which one out of all the books you have written did you enjoy writing and why??"

There's never been one that I haven't enjoyed. If there ever was, I'd stop and start over.

message 181: by Kelley (new)

Kelley (KelleyArmstrong) Sandra wrote:

I also really enjoy the stories on your website giving Derek & Simon's POV. Will you write more from their POV or include that in future books?

It's possible. I don't yet have any firm plans for the books beyond the new trilogy.

message 182: by Kelley (new)

Kelley (KelleyArmstrong) teamderek13 wrote:

I don't know if this will be answered because it's after 8, but i wanted to know what inspired you to create this world? Do you feel you know everything about the Otherworld? or are there some things that fit and are added as time goes on?

I was inspired just by a basic love of supernatural fiction--I wanted to create my own. I don't know everything that happens. Some I do know in advance, but about an equal amount unfolds with the books.

message 183: by Kelley (new)

Kelley (KelleyArmstrong) Stephanie wrote:

In Bitten we are introduced to Zachary Cain, and in Summoning we get hints from other characters to Derek's paternity. Will this be addressed or is it not that important to the two series given actions in Bitten?

It may be addressed. It's not critical to the story right now, but if it comes up, I know the backstory so I'll put it in.

message 184: by Kelley (new)

Kelley (KelleyArmstrong) Kristi wrote:

My question is what are the chances of us seeing Angelic or any of your other all ready sold out - so sad for us - novellas on a service like Kindle?

It's more likely to get them as a reprint either in an anthology of mine or with other authors. Then that book would, I hope, also be an ebook.

message 185: by Kelley (new)

Kelley (KelleyArmstrong) Brandi wrote:

When you're writing, how much research do you do before you just write it? I have a tendency to do so much research I never actually get around to writing it.

And coming back to my love of the pack, I was wondering if we would ever get to see some stories from when Antonio and Jeremy were younger? I'd especially like to see something of what Nick's mom was like and how that went. Also stories of a younger Karl would be epic

It's very easy to get caught up in research. Then it becomes very easy to overuse that research in your story--if it doesn't quite fit, we cram it in anyway because we did all that work :) I do some pre-writing research, but a lot comes as I'm going, so I don't overdo it.

I'm always up for backstories, particularly on the Pack. It's just a matter of finding the time to write them!

message 186: by Kelley (new)

Kelley (KelleyArmstrong) Okay, it looks like I'm done. Thanks so much to Lisarenee for hosting/moderating and thanks to everyone who came out and asked questions. I hope you all have a great weekend!

message 187: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 958 comments Thanks Kelley! It was really nice having you :)

1 2 4 next »

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Waking the Witch (other topics)
Broken (other topics)
Blood Lite (other topics)
Tales of the Otherworld (other topics)
Personal Demon (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Kelley Armstrong (other topics)