College Students! discussion

Genre or Topic/Theme Related > New Adult Literature!

Comments (showing 1-41 of 41) (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 4407 comments Mod
Oh my gosh! I'm so excited!! I know we have talked about this before--about how there is such a gap between YA lit and Adult lit with not much in between for us college aged kids. It seems like somebody is listening!

http://www.associatedcontent.com/arti...

Would you be reading these books? Do you think there is a legitimate need for this genre?

Shwetika | 72 comments Yeah i think there is a need and i am going to read them. I love ya books but get all those funny look for reading ya books coz i'm 20 year old and is a graduate .. But whenever i want to read other books i don't find some exact/good enough material to read and i think new adult lit will be cool n even it will be worth reading ( fun to read as well as helpful in many fields ). I'm excited n really waiting to read this new genre

Andrew (andrewburgess) I'd enjoy reading these books I think. I'm drawn to books that follow a character struggling with real life problems, but most of the time the main character is either in high school (can be fun to reminisce about) or they're early 30s, which means that they've experienced some adult life.

Getting some well written stories about 20 somethings that are just getting out into the real world, dealing with first jobs or getting that first apartment would be a nice bridge between the gaps

Kimberly (KimberlywithaT) | 2137 comments I think this is great!

Emily  O (ReadingWhileFemale) | 487 comments Haha, I love how the article makes sure to separate itself from Chick Lit. We wouldn't want to be thought of as cheap or trashy, now would we?

That said, I think this is an interesting genre with a lot of possibilities. I don't think I would read it all the time, but I do feel like it is definitely a genre that hasn't been terribly well explored and could use some good quality literature to fill in the gaps. That said, I hope this doesn't just become an expansion of the current YA genre, but ends up being a diverse genre with something of both worlds. While I would like to see adult literary fiction with characters our age, I'm afraid that it's going to be mostly YA novels moved from high school to college. Hopefully there will be some of both!

Tahleen | 1699 comments I really don't see this as being a separate "genre," so much as an attempt to get writers to write about a different set of people. Does that make sense? But then again I've always had an issue with calling age-targeted books as genres. I don't consider YA a genre, but many people do.

Casi | 2 comments I like finding authors who are trying to make their mark with our age group and keeping the story in line with current subject matter, like texting and such. I want to be able to relate on some level with what the characters are going through, be it regarding relationships or career choices. I am on my third read of Love Unscripted (Volume 1) by Tina Reberbecause I feel like - for once - I can totally relate to all of the characters (they are all 20-somethings). And this writer describes that first intimate encounter with the guy in a very tasteful yet very ADULT sort of way. (That's probably one of the reasons why I keep reading it!) If anyone finds other novels that fit in this category, please please recommend!

message 8: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Emily wrote: "Haha, I love how the article makes sure to separate itself from Chick Lit. We wouldn't want to be thought of as cheap or trashy, now would we?

That said, I think this is an interesting genre with ..."

I'm with you on that. I want it to be real diverse and not just a "grown up" YA. Quality is what is going to make me read it...and if it is just a smart marketing ploy..we are going to see right through it!

message 9: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Tahleen wrote: "I really don't see this as being a separate "genre," so much as an attempt to get writers to write about a different set of people. Does that make sense? But then again I've always had an issue wit..."

That's a really good point! I don't think, when it comes down to it, that YA is really a genre either. It will be interesting to see what this gets labeled as.

I'm really interested in WHY not many writers have tackled our age group. It's a huge transition between high school and adulthood and I think it is so interesting.

Tahleen | 1699 comments Jamie, that's a good question. It's true—not many books focus on early 20somethings, and for no apparent reason.

Jessica | 143 comments I agree! It's so hard to find books with characters in college or our age group. I mean, I can identify with some classics or literary fiction but either the books I read deal with things of the past or things I haven't been through yet--marriage, divorce, having babies, a career. lol

Kimberly (KimberlywithaT) | 2137 comments Teenagers have a heck of a time living through their high school years, and I'm sure that's why authors like to write about them. But I mean come on! Look at everything we have to put up with! There is a ton of writing material there.

message 13: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Agreed! I could write a whole freaking box set of books about my college experience and now being an unemployed college grad. lol

Anika | 106 comments This is really interesting. I'm sure you guys have the same problems, but in the past few years, I've been reading mostly classics because I find that most of the modern literature being published today is either too mature or immature for me. I don't know if this could stand alone as its own genre though; I feel like this "genre" would be more of an extension of YA literature. I would read it though!

Madge (Madge_the_Bibliomaniac) That's definitely interesting. I would probably at least give it a chance.

L (Sniffly Kitty) I can't seem to find any articles dated later than this, which talks about any progress made towards publication of such titles. Also, it's going to drive the bookstores mad with classifying... readers will also go crazy trying to find where the titles are shelved T_T

message 17: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

L (Sniffly Kitty) wrote: "I can't seem to find any articles dated later than this, which talks about any progress made towards publication of such titles. Also, it's going to drive the bookstores mad with classifying... rea..."

I couldn't find any either! I even contacted them about it and never heard anything back.

That is a good point! I wonder how they would end up classifying them in stores and libraries!

Daisy | 679 comments I just finished reading Love Story (given the title and the cover I thought it would be a sweet read, but I was wrong..) and thought that it could fit this category. I think it's officially YA, but the main character is in her first year of college, so it could go both ways.
I've been looking ever since I first read about new adult in this thread and this is the first that has even come close to fitting the genre. Does anyone know if there have been other books published in this genre?

Megan I am really suprised reading this and thinking back through everything that I have read lately. The only 20-something-year-old characters I have met have past through those years to later ones that are actually the main focus of the narrative. It is confusing me because in your twenties you start with all your bright expectations for the future and try your best to hold onto as many as possible as you learn to live. It seems a curious age to be missing from the literature.

And I never even missed it til I just looked at my bookcase and can't find it.

I would be interested if people had ideas of what is already out there that could fall in this genre?

message 20: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

I just read that one too, Daisy! LOVED that she was in her first year of college. We should try to create a list of books with college aged characters.

Emily  O (ReadingWhileFemale) | 487 comments You know, now that I think of it, a lot of A.S. Byatt's novels feature characters that are either students or teachers at a university. I bet there are a lot of literary fiction and classics that contain twenty-something main characters. I guess people just don't notice them because they are considered just plain literature rather than being marketed to an age group.

message 22: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Emily -- I have to agree with you on that!

Tahleen | 1699 comments I've noticed a lot of Christian fiction centers around 20-something characters.

Danya | 13 comments Just wanted to let everyone know about my New Adult Challenge for 2012! I'm hoping to read some more books that fall into this category and would love it if anyone would like to join me :) I think it's very much an untapped market, and I've seen a lot of bloggers wishing there were more books targeting this age group. Perhaps we can nudge the publishers in the right direction...

Jen (wishesandwanderlust) | 696 comments It hasn't been launched yet but I came across 20 Something Reads.

NeednKnow | 7 comments The more genres there are, the better.

And, well, personally, a lot more interesting things can happen before, during, and after classes in college, more than high school.

I want to read more books in this category, too!

Rachel (Rachel-bookishnerd) | 5 comments Anyone have any recommendations for books that focus more on college age?

I've just read Easy and Flat out Love but looking for more! Thank you!!

Tami | 2914 comments Mod
Scarlett's is a book I won on goodreads giveaways. Almost all the characters are late teens early twenties. It was an okay story but seemed a bit too young considering the ages of the main characters and the stuff they are dealing with.

Rachel (Rachel-bookishnerd) | 5 comments I just downloaded Between the Lines. Heard it was good and thought I would check it out. Sounds promissing

Kayla | 594 comments Rachel wrote: "Anyone have any recommendations for books that focus more on college age?

I've just read Easy and Flat out Love but looking for more! Thank you!!"

I am Charlotte Simmons is one of my favorite books and its set on a college campus (a made-up Ivy League school). It's about the main character's freshman year and how she copes with going from a small town to a large, competitive environment.

Rachel (Rachel-bookishnerd) | 5 comments Sounds good. I will check it out.

Currently reading the "Between the lines" series. I'm just starting book 3. The first two were good.

Rachel (Rachel-bookishnerd) | 5 comments Wanted to let you all know that I REALLY liked the Between the Lines series. Some parts were a bit slow, but overall good stories, liked (most of) the characters and some good steamy scenes.

Sarah | 2 comments I know that this thread hasn't been posted on in quite some time, but I really want some good Adult Fiction to read. The majority of my to-be-read list is YA, which is fine, but I just feel like I'm missing out on some really great books by not daring to venture out of my "comfort zone". As for genre, I'm pretty open to just about anything. I look forward to (and hope) for some great suggestions!

Tahleen | 1699 comments Sarah, you should look at the Alex Award winners; those are books published for adults but also have teen appeal. I just finished Where'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple and it was great.

Rebecca | 5 comments Fiction/Fantasy: The Hollows series, Skulduggery

Historical Fiction: Rules of Civility, the Jewel of
Saint Pettersburg, Exit the Actress.

Historical: Flappers, Gypsy, Sin in the Second City.

Ficton: The Fire bird,Scarlet,the Other Eden, Scent of Triumph.

Kit (Firstaid) | 11 comments I really WANT to love NA since, you know, I'm a "new" adult (or man-child, I guess you could say). The thing is, I feel like a lot of these NA books are not relatable. Many are written by older authors who use twentysomethings as their main characters, but something's missing. Just because the story revolves around a New Adult cast with a few themes/situations common to our generation thrown in doesn't necessarily make it NA, or at least in my opinion. Is it just me?

message 37: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Nope totally not just you! I was SO excited, back in 2010, about this prospect and it's been an utter disappointment.

Krysta (KrystaFig) I'm pretty excited about this new genre.

I recently picked up YA book and found myself rolling my eyes at how juvenille it felt.
I undestand they're Young Adult books...meaning teenagers, but it felt just too young for me.

Hopefully this New Adult genre will be more relatable to where I'm at in life right now!

Silver (mybookshack) | 17 comments Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) wrote: "Nope totally not just you! I was SO excited, back in 2010, about this prospect and it's been an utter disappointment."

I'm disappointed too. It just isn't what I expected. I even created a list of books that I disliked. I've never been tempted to create a list before.
NA/YA books that I find annoying/disappointing

Kit (Firstaid) | 11 comments UGH, yes.

You guys should join this group!

http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/1...

People of our kind must unite!

message 41: by Merc (last edited Jan 17, 2014 05:20PM) (new)

Merc (OswinsSouffle) | 134 comments I don't believe I have been able to read any NA books though I've attempted it. I agree that there seems to be something... missing. Yet, at the same time, I read YA books and I am sitting there wanting these characters to act more mature and then it's like.. their 16-years-old.

At this point, I don't really get why everyone seems so young in these books. If it was a story centered around High School, I get it. Unless it's going to be about someone like Derek from Teen Wolf. (Then its a bit.. weird). But with some of the stuff I have been reading, it's the apocalypse. Lol.

PS: I ended up joing the group.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Love Unscripted (other topics)
Love Story (other topics)
Scarlett's (other topics)
I am Charlotte Simmons (other topics)