Children's Books discussion

General Discussion > Advanced Picture Books / Elementary Chapter Books

Comments (showing 1-20)    post a comment »
dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 20: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) | 1619 comments Mod
Ivy and Bean is the first of a cute very early chapter book series.

message 19: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

Kathryn | 3035 comments Mod
That's a great point, Abigail It's a lovely book :-)

message 18: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

Cheryl wrote: "I finally read Lulu and the Brontosaurus. Right in the preface the author disclaims the bad science of Brontosaurus/Apatosaurus and, btw, of people and dinosaurs living at the same ..."

Oh, that's good to know there is an author disclosure, Cheryl. I am really hoping my library gets a copy of this soon! I've wanted to read it ever since Leslie's first post :-)

message 17: by Cheryl (new)

I finally read Lulu and the Brontosaurus. Right in the preface the author disclaims the bad science of Brontosaurus/Apatosaurus and, btw, of people and dinosaurs living at the same time. So, given that, it was kind of a fun read. I personally don't know that my children would have loved it enough to make buying a copy worthwhile, though.

message 16: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (sianin) | 129 comments My son didn't like My Father's Dragon all that much eaither but do try the Colville books. They are about the right age for your 4 year old. Bruce Coville (Moongobble and Me) The titles sound frightening but the stories are humorous.

message 15: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (last edited Nov 30, 2010 08:31AM) (new)

Well, at least you have found a book that he loves. While my adult self knows that there are SO many books out there to love and it makes it hard for me to reread even my most beloved books because I want to experience more-more-more and find new favorites, as a child I *loved* having the same favorite books read to me over and over again. It sounds like you are doing really well in allowing him to keep "Lulu" so prominent but also introducing him to new things in the hopes he will find even more to love :-)

message 14: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (Onthemove) | 130 comments That is a good point. He is 4 years old. But The reason I was mentioning this is because when we read Lulu and the Brotosauras he watch me and sang with me and was so engaged with that book. He even asks me to read it every night.

I guess I was just hoping to have that again in another book. Maybe Blink and Goldie will do it for him.

We always cuddle during reading time. I just know what "turns him on" and what he thinks is a waste of his time.

I know this about myself, if I find a book that I struggle to read I just put it down and never read it again. I want to be able to find books that he loves and laughs at. It is just hard. I tried following someone who loves the books we love and that is really not working either. I will keep at it.
Thanks for your comment!

message 13: by Kirei (new)

Kirei | 346 comments Leslie, how old is your son?

When I do chapter books, I don't have ds's full attention. He is usually coloring a picture, but listening at the same time.

With picture books, we cuddle, so I have his full attention.

message 12: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (Onthemove) | 130 comments I will say that we started Three Tales of My Father's Dragon and my son is just not interested. I will keep trying but it has not held his attention.

message 11: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

I just read In Aunt Lucy's Kitchen: Ready-for-Chapters and I think it would qualify as it is a quick read, though divided into chapters, (took me maybe twenty minutes or a half hour to read) and has lots of illustrations (black and white drawings). It's a very sweet and enjoyable story! By the way, it is labeled a "Ready for Chapters" book, so that's another label for this type of book, I guess ;-)

message 10: by Pamela (new)

Pamela ☼what?!? you want more gruel☼ Tee (Pam_T) | 41 comments Kathryn wrote: "I just saw Bink and Gollie over on the NY Times Best Illustrated Books of 2010 and it looks like it's a beginning chapter book or an advanced picture book."

Bink and Gollie is written on the 2nd Grade level. If you use AR as a guide, it's 2.5

message 9: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (Onthemove) | 130 comments Thanks everyone-
Our reading journey continue... But nothing comes close to Lulu and the Brontosaurus. In fact he has asks for it every night and now remembers facts about it. In fact he told me he wants a Brontosaurus for X-Mas, but not a real one a stuffed on.

message 8: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (sianin) | 129 comments I am not sure if you are looking for recommendations for illustrated early chapter books for your son but I know my son really loved teh Moongobble Series by Bruce Colville. The Weeping Werewolf I think this is the first in the series.

I don't know what you call them either but I think I know what you mean.

message 7: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 191 comments I an going to keep an eye out for Bink and Gollie it does sound very cute.

message 6: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

I just saw Bink and Gollie over on the NY Times Best Illustrated Books of 2010 and it looks like it's a beginning chapter book or an advanced picture book.

message 5: by Cheryl (new)

But how does it detract from the story to get the science right? Edit 'brontosaurus' to 'allosaurus' and you'll be all set. I'm not asking much. :)

message 4: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (Onthemove) | 130 comments Thanks everyone for your comments!

I think the new topic title is perfect

I don't want to give the end to the book away, but I think the author handles it in a positive way. I agree with Chandra the purpose of this book is not to go into science and or misinformation it is to pull kids into the story and make them want to hear more and more.

I just know the feeling I/we get when we read something that is so wonderful. To watch a child's eyes and mind when they love something is so special. So I am not sure what we call these books but I want more of them. I think this is what will help make my son to love to read and hear stories.

message 3: by Cheryl (new)

I've heard them called Early Readers, too. If we're talking about stuff like Nate The Great, that is.

So, does the ending reveal that she couldn't get a brontosaurus no matter what, because there's no such thing? Sorry, I hate bad science and misinformation.
http://www.straightdope.com/columns/r...

message 2: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (last edited Nov 03, 2010 08:28AM) (new)

Leslie--

I am so happy to hear about your experience with your son reading Lulu and the Brontosaurus. I heard about this book a week or so ago and thought it looked wonderful; I am so glad to have confirmation of this! I want to get a copy SOON :-)

Regarding your larger question, I don't know the technical term for this type of book; maybe just "beginning chapter books"? Probably others in the group will know the technical term. In my library catalog, even the easier chapter books, with lots of pictures, are just cataloged "Juvenile Fiction" along with the more advanced novels.

I don't really have any recommendations just now because the few that I have read are either for older kids or just not that good. If I come up with anything, though, I will let you know. I hope you and your son have many more excellent reading experiences together :-)

message 1: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (Onthemove) | 130 comments I wanted to ask the group a question. What do you call a book that is a chapter book, but still has tons of photos. I have tried a number of Chapter books that doesn't have enough pictures and I just loose my son who just turned 4 years old. But we just finished Lulu and the Brontosaurus and he waited for every word that came out of my mouth. His eyes got big, he remembered parts of the story as it played back. He was so sad when the story ended. I will buy this and keep it for him when he grows up.

There are few books that we read that give us that feeling.
This is such a special book!! I can't wait to hear if people read it and what they think.

Another great thing about this book is that it give a few different endings, which was great also.

I have so many good things to say about this book, but I don't want to spoil it. The "character" in the book is an only child and the author/story teller calls one of the main characters the same exact name I call my son.

What a special experience for my son and I, I hope all mothers who read to their children have these experiences.

Hope to hear what others think. I think book would fit in the picture book section of the group.

Just wanted to share, I am still a little teary eyed.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Lulu and the Brontosaurus (other topics)
Nate the Great (other topics)
Bink & Gollie (other topics)
The Weeping Werewolf (other topics)
In Aunt Lucy's Kitchen (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Bruce Coville (other topics)