Horror Aficionados discussion

Book Recommendations > Great Werewolf Novels?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 121) (121 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Dylan (new)

Dylan (dmfriend26) | 42 comments What are some great horror novels about werewolves? I'm thinking of getting The Wolf's Hour by Robert Mccammon, is that any good? What werewolf novels do you like? Another one I was thinking of was Murcheston: The Wolf's Tale by David Holland, is that any good? Any others?

message 2: by John (new)

John Karr (Karr) | 32 comments Wolf's Hour is probably the best werewolf novel going, imo. Karl Edward Wagner's Reflections for the Winter of My Soul, featuring his anti-hero Kane, is a great shortstory on the subject.

message 3: by Mjay (new)

Mjay (Mjaydakid) | 17 comments Try this series by Larry Correia. Its about a organization call Monster Hunter International. They hunt and kill Werewolves, Vampyre, Demi-gods anything that threatens Man.
Monster Hunter International, Monster Hunter Vendetta and Monster Hunter Alpha by Larry Correia.
I am looking forward to his next novel in this series.

message 4: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (MoanaLisa) | 23505 comments Dylan, I'm moving this thread to the Recommendations folder.

Alana ~ The Book Pimp (LoonyAlana) | 169 comments It's more "girly" werewolves- but I love Bitten (Women of the Otherworld, #1) by Kelley Armstrong several of that series focus primarily on werewolves...

and Moon Called (Mercedes Thompson, #1) by Patricia Briggs ...

but they are almost PNR, definitely UF

message 6: by Pamela (new)

Pamela | 129 comments The Wolfen by Whitley Strieber by Whitley Streiber. Though it's out of print--you need to find it used by Amazon or something.

message 7: by Ken (new)

Ken | 4903 comments Check out The Wolfman by Jonathan Maberry. This one had a great classic goth feel to it.

The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon) (PirateGhost) John wrote: "Wolf's Hour is probably the best werewolf novel going, imo. Karl Edward Wagner's Reflections for the Winter of My Soul, featuring his anti-hero Kane, is a great shortstory on the subject.
"

I completely agree. Roger Bozo turned me on to this book years ago. High School? It's a great werewolf story, spy story and many things in between.

message 9: by Felina (new)

Felina The Wolf's Hour is available on Amazon for $50 for a used copy. Yikes. But it looks like they are releasing a kindle version on 10/18/11 for $9.99.

message 11: by The Pirate Ghost (new)

The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon) (PirateGhost) Felina wrote: "The Wolf's Hour is available on Amazon for $50 for a used copy. Yikes. But it looks like they are releasing a kindle version on 10/18/11 for $9.99."

Really? I need to dig up my paperback copy and trade it in on a Kindle version and a profit.

message 12: by Deb (new)

Deb Wakolee | 4 comments I LOVE Robert McCammon!! I have all his books..Swan Song is the Best!! The Wolf's Hour great too!

message 13: by Melki (new)

Melki | 50 comments If you can find it - there is a great short story by George R.R. Martin about werewolves called "The Skin Trade". According to Wiki, it is available in this book - "Night Visions 5.

message 14: by Gatorman (new)

Gatorman | 9457 comments Add Wolf Hunt by Jeff Strand to this list. Terrific book and interesting take on the werewolf concept.

message 15: by Richard (new)

Richard Farnsworth | 10 comments Gift of the Bouda by Richard Farnsworth
The best werehyena story in history.
Okay, maybe the only one too.

message 16: by Apokripos (new)

Apokripos (apokalypse) Pamela wrote: "The Wolfen by Whitley Strieber by Whitley Streiber. Though it's out of print--you need to find it used by Amazon or something."

I just bought a paperback of this on a second-hand bookstore! Great! Thanks, Pamela! ^^,

message 17: by Brian (last edited Oct 26, 2011 04:52PM) (new)

Brian Moreland (BrianMoreland-HorrorAuthor) | 11 comments I recommend the Nick Lupo werewolf detective series by W.D. Gagliani. He's latest book is WOLF'S EDGE.

http://www.wdgagliani.com/

message 18: by mark (new)

mark monday (happyendoftheworid) | 714 comments i just bought The Last Werewolf. haven't read it yet, but it looks good.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

I loved Alice Borchardt's werewolf trilogy. Her books were similar to Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles, only the characters are rougher and the eroticism more overt. Start with "The Silver Wolf" if you'd like to read the series.

message 20: by mark (new)

mark monday (happyendoftheworid) | 714 comments oh i also have The Passion by donna boyd. which i also haven't read.

message 21: by Carl (new)

Carl I. | 922 comments Gatorman wrote: "Add Wolf Hunt by Jeff Strand to this list. Terrific book and interesting take on the werewolf concept."

I'm going to back this one also. Just a crazy, fun read. The relationship George has with everybody is great. Reading his banter with Lou is only topped by his banter with Ivan. Just a fun read all around.

Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder* (ErinPaperbackstash) | 761 comments I dont read much werewolf stuff - I think the best of the lot would have to be the howling, which I read years back. I havent read much in the horror genre with this, other than some paranormal romances/urban fantasies - but don't think they really count for "this" list.

message 23: by Pamela (new)

Pamela | 129 comments The Howlingis a good book too. The first film of this book was super too.

message 24: by Althea (new)

Althea Ann | 9 comments Not all-time-favorites, but for werewolf fans I'd recommend Nadya by Pat Murphy (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18...) and Moon Dance by S.P. Somtow (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/42...). Both are set in the 19th century, Old West kinda scenario.
Nadya has an almost YA feel, Moon Dance is much more extreme.

message 25: by Pamela (new)

Pamela | 129 comments Read Moon Dance too. I like to collect werewolf books. My fave supernatural--that and other shifters.

message 26: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (MoanaLisa) | 23505 comments Carl wrote: "Gatorman wrote: "Add Wolf Hunt by Jeff Strand to this list. Terrific book and interesting take on the werewolf concept."

I'm going to back this one also. Just a crazy, fun read. The relati..."

Man, I own this but haven't gotten around to it yet. I love Strand's books, though; I'm sure I'll enjoy it.

message 27: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (MoanaLisa) | 23505 comments Pamela wrote: "The Howlingis a good book too. The first film of this book was super too."

I had no idea The Howling was a book first. I love the movie.

message 28: by Gatorman (new)

Gatorman | 9457 comments Tressa wrote: "Carl wrote: "Gatorman wrote: "Add Wolf Hunt by Jeff Strand to this list. Terrific book and interesting take on the werewolf concept."

I'm going to back this one also. Just a crazy, fun read...."

You need to get to that one. It's not long and it's very entertaining. Typically good Strand.

message 29: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (MoanaLisa) | 23505 comments Oh, I love Strand's books. So I'll definitely be reading this one. But not before finishing Night Eternal and Nocturnes.

message 30: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Reynolds (GraemeReynolds) | 91 comments The Wolf's Hour and Wolfen are great. I also really enjoyed Maneater and Prey by Thomas Emson.

And of course, you could always check out my new werewolf novel, High Moor ;) High Moor

message 31: by Richard (last edited Dec 06, 2011 11:58AM) (new)

Richard Farnsworth | 10 comments Graveside tales put out two good werewolf (and other were) short story anthologies.
The Beast Within by Matt Hults Beast Within 2 Predator & Prey by Jennifer Brozek
Both good and not just because I have stories in each.
Honest...

message 32: by Katie (new)

Katie (KTRyan12) | 65 comments I really enjoyed Frostbite:A Werewolf Tale by David Wellington! I have the second one, Overwinter: A Werewolf Tale, also but haven't had a chance to read it yet but I am looking forward to it!

message 33: by Trev (new)

Trev Twinem (runner56) | 173 comments great topic...managed to find a copy of The wolfen at abebooks uk for a few pounds...looks a fantastic intelligent read! my next read on the kindle is Jeff's books Wolf Hunt....

message 34: by Judah (new)

Judah Two that haven't been mentioned here so far:
Ravenous and it's sequel by Ray Garton (lycanthropy as STD)
Benighted by Kit Whitfield (completely different take on the trope of "if were's ran the world"...socio-political allegory and fun at the same time!)

Also, I'm trying to figure out the name of two werewolf books, published in the early 90's (I think)...it's been a while since I read them, but I'll do my best to come up with enough detail that maybe someone will know what I'm talking about.

So, it's a two-book-series, both have one word titles...I want to say "Shapes" or something along those lines. These are **NOT** "paranormal romance," but full-on horror.

The main character is attacked on a country road...when he awakes from his changes, he's surrounded by piles of hair that have sloughed off of him. The first book is much more of the straight forward "chase the monster down" variety.

The second takes place in a laboratory type of place, where scientists are studying the character from the first book, as well as other shapechangers....who of course eventually break free, the facility goes into lockdown, and all hell breaks loose!

Not much to go on, I know, but you never know.

message 35: by Richard (new)

Richard Farnsworth | 10 comments Judah,
I'm thinking Steve Vance, the hyde effect and Shapes... yes that would be my guess, and I am sticking with it.

Rick

message 36: by Judah (new)

Judah It's good to stick with your answer, Rick, since I think you're correct! You rock.

(and as an aside to the original topic, I recommend these!)

message 37: by Marc-Antoine (new)

Marc-Antoine | 3108 comments This month's read High Moor is a great werewolf story...

message 38: by Jason (new)

Jason (Darkfiction) | 4564 comments Agreed, Marc. I'm only halfway through, so I can't say for sure yet, but so far it's been a lot of fun. I had some trouble with it at the beginning, but now it's knocking my socks off.

message 39: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (MoanaLisa) | 23505 comments Oh, maybe I ought to finish it after Steve Jobs. My New Year's Resolution (one of 'em) is to join in on all group reads no matter how busy I am or what other books I'm in the middle of reading.

message 40: by Richard (new)

Richard Farnsworth | 10 comments Glad to be of assistance Judah, (I liked Hyde effect much more than Shapes).

Good luck with your New Year's resolution Tressa!

message 41: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (MoanaLisa) | 23505 comments Oh, yeah, thanks. Don't hold your breath over any of my resolutions.

message 42: by Μιχάλης (new)

Μιχάλης (nihilio) | 7 comments Moon dance for me too. Great book.

Also, there is also The Nightwalker but it's been years since I read it and I am not sure it is that great.

For a more fun and modern approach, there is also Kitty and the Midnight Hour which I found to be entertaining in its tongue-in-cheek approach.

message 43: by Richard (last edited Jan 18, 2012 11:31PM) (new)

Richard Farnsworth | 10 comments I enjoy the Kitty Norville series from Carrie Vaughn also, but I agree, tongue in cheek.
I'm not sure Carrie means it this way, but it is like chick-lit meets monster with a slight tab of paranormal romance swirled in. They're well written and fun, but not that same sort of werewolf book one would put in a pile with Gaglioni, Vance, Strand, Streiber or the others mentioned here.

message 44: by Richard (new)

Richard Farnsworth | 10 comments Okay, it's not a novel, but my new (FREE) Anthology has 2 werewolf short stories. Well, actually one in a werehyena, the other is were-bear versus werewolves in the postapocolyptic west.

Outside the Wire

message 45: by Dan (last edited Feb 06, 2012 08:43AM) (new)

Dan (dan2345) | 18 comments These two are a collection of short stories about werewolves, they're pretty good
The Mammoth Book of Wolf Men by Stephen Jones Curse of the Full Moon A Werewolf Anthology by James Lowder

Also, Anne Rice is coming out with a book about werewolves sometime this month The Wolf Gift by Anne Rice

message 46: by Charlene (new)

Charlene | 10627 comments Mod
Carl wrote: "Gatorman wrote: "Add Wolf Hunt by Jeff Strand to this list. Terrific book and interesting take on the werewolf concept."

I'm going to back this one also. Just a crazy, fun read. The relati..."

Another vote for Wolf Hunt. What a fun, gory, hilarious romp this book was.

message 47: by Gatorman (new)

Gatorman | 9457 comments Charlene wrote: "Carl wrote: "Gatorman wrote: "Add Wolf Hunt by Jeff Strand to this list. Terrific book and interesting take on the werewolf concept."

I'm going to back this one also. Just a crazy, fun read...."

Yes, it was!

message 48: by Vivian (new)

Vivian Tong | 1 comments Really enjoyed The Passion by Donna Boyd The Promise by Donna Boyd but skip Renegade by Donna Boyd - They are a bit Anne Rice-ish

Frostbite A Werewolf Tale by David Wellington and Overwinter (Werewolves, #2) by David Wellington are page turners. Less if any sexual overtones, more horror and lots of "shifting".

Couldn't get into The Silver Wolf (Legends of the Wolf #1) by Alice Borchardt and Night of the Wolf (Legends of the Wolf, #2) by Alice Borchardt --They're heavy reading.

Just picked up The Last Werewolf by Glen Duncan and it looks promising.

Hope this helps.

message 49: by TJ (new)

TJ (Coachtim30) | 332 comments I really liked two by a couple of our Goodreads authors, Tim McGregor's Bad Wolf and Graeme Reynolds' High Moor

message 50: by Charlene (new)

Charlene | 10627 comments Mod
I thought this one was great: City Under the Moon.

« previous 1 3

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Moon Called (other topics)
Bitten (other topics)
The Wolfen (other topics)
The Wolfman (other topics)
Frostbite (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Jonathan Maberry (other topics)
Gary Brandner (other topics)