Paranormal Addicts & Newbies discussion

Archive > NOVEMBER ~ The Summoning

Comments (showing 1-28 of 28) (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenny , Founder, Lead Mod, Eternally Books (last edited Nov 01, 2010 07:00AM) (new)

Jenny  (JennyBr) | 4245 comments Mod
The Summoning (Darkest Powers, #1) by Kelley Armstrong
This is the place to gather to talk about the November group read The Summoning.

How are you finding it? What do you like (or not)so far? Is the heroine kick ass? Got a great Alpha male? (sample Q's to get you thinking! I've not read this so they may not all be relevant!)

If you've already read the book feel free to jump in too!!

Please be respectful of spoilers - do a warning if you are posting one!

Mariya (cr6zym0nkeyiz) i read this and i just thought it was okaiexz...i dont understand why it is as popular as it is. not sure if ill be continueing wit the series.

Donna | 11 comments I liked it... thought it was a different plot line for a change and it grabbed me immediately. I will definitely be checking out the next in the series!

(Will get into plot when more people have read it.)

message 4: by Mariya (last edited Nov 01, 2010 08:21AM) (new)

Mariya (cr6zym0nkeyiz) **possible spoilers**
maybe i didnt like it b/c it was like her i think it was her aunt kinda betrayed her and it was like a prison to me where they r at. wasnt too crazy about the characters.

Kerstin | 145 comments I quite liked it. It was a quick read with an interesting plot and a likeable heroine.

Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} (amyorames) | 276 comments I read this when it first came out and was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. I will say though that this is probably the worst of all 3 in the trilogy. Mariya, you should try The Awakening, it's a lot better. :)

Ladyacct | 65 comments I liked the book, for a young adult it kept me interested and the characters were likable and believeable.

Avid Reader Amy's Reviews (AmyStogner) | 25 comments My nephews got me this book and book 2 as gifts. I read them and I liked book 1 better. It wasn't one of the best books I have read but it was good. I wouldn't read it again though.

Maebhe | 4 comments i loved this book but it really does progress as the series goes on. I read this ages ago and the cliffhanger in the first was annoyin when i read it but still.... love love :)

Sarah Dizon (sarahd828) | 75 comments I really loved this book, and I ended up reading all the rest in the series!

Stacia (out of inspiration) (Stacia_R) The first half of the book dragged so much for me, but the second half was very engaging and I enjoyed it enough to want to continue the series.

Vanessa Wolf (vanessawolf) | 2 comments I liked this book.
It got me really hungry for the next one.
It wasn't as dry as I thought it was going to be, But you have to read the entire series to really apreciate it.
I want to hear more about the characters.

Trish (imjulybaby26) | 5 comments I liked this series but, i prefer her otherworld series .

Alison (entropy_won) | 24 comments I really enjoyed the 2nd book in this series. The first was ok for me, but it was the 2nd book that made me love her characters. <3 Derek.

Diane | 82 comments I started this book and finished it today- could not put it down. The first few pages started so quickly that I did not like it but soon I was addicted. I reserved the next two books from the library so will read them this week. This was as addicting as the House of Night series too. I guess I like YA.

Megan (meganlentz) | 1 comments I really enjoyed this book. I found the concept intriguing and had a hard time putting the book down, such a hard time that I had to buy the second book on my kindle the second I finished The Summoning. I can't wait to see how the series progresses.

Maggie (Maggie_R) | 127 comments I just finished The Summoning and really enjoyed it. I was a little skeptical for the first few pages but ended up liking it quite a bit.

I'm so glad this was chosen for our group read, as I'm not sure I would have picked up the book on my own (or at least for a while), and will definitely continue with this series.

Sandra | 75 comments I really loved this book. For a YA I found the characters age appropriate but not immature or annoyingly naive (despite her sheltered upbringing). I read it all in one sitting and can't wait to finish the series!

Angie (Mind Malfunction) (angieerickson) | 164 comments I just finished The Summoning and I enjoyed it. Its a YA book and I found the characters believable and appropriate. I'm 34 years old, so I would definitely need to chase this book with an adult paranormal, but I did like it and will continue the series.

Wicked ♥  (Wickedly Bookish Reviews) aka Bat-Jess (WickedlyBookish) | 60 comments I'm about a third of the way through the book, just started last night and I have to say I am enjoying the fast pace and the characters, but I'm worried about how choppy the writing seems. Her Otherworld series is amazing, but this one so far is just ok. I like the ghost theme though, its really keeping me interested when the writing style is making me want to throw it down.

Shiree (paranormalmomma) I loved this book. I was very pleasantly surprised. I have to admit that I have been passing on this book for the simple fact that it is a YA book. I was thinking it was going to be all sighs and fluttering of the eyes at boys (my most favorite series is the Anita Blake series, if that tells you anything) but it was no where near it. I have added the other books in this series to my to read shelf and can't wait to get to them. Thanks for putting this book up as a group read. I throughly enjoyed it.

Kristi-The Book Faery (KristiTheBookFaery) I really liked this book and it's a great start to the series. I haven't found much from Kelley Armstrong that I haven't liked.

The main character is likable and realistic and the secondary characters enhance the book with their various talents and secrets.

The paranormal elements take on a twisty new turn-- there's suspense, mystery and danger lurking around every corner and the characters manage to find enough time to throw a tad bit of romance in.

There are some sad and disturbing part's in the book and some parts that smack of realism in todays diagnostic happy Mental Health world. I must admit, there's times when I've wondered if a schizophrenic was truly schizophrenic or if they were really seeing something there that others just couldn't see... :o] You never know!

I whipped through this book in a few hours and I felt the pace was just right and the story-line was intriging enough to keep me entertained and looking forward to the next in the series.

Wicked ♥  (Wickedly Bookish Reviews) aka Bat-Jess (WickedlyBookish) | 60 comments Finished this last night. Definitely a fast, engaging read. I immediately picked up the next book in hopes of some kind of relief from the cruel cliffhanger, but no go. This is a great suspensful paranormal YA read.

Mira | 3 comments I loved the summoning I have read the entire trilogy! The plot was engaging and it kept on the edge of my seat.

A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol) (avidreader68) I read this book a few months ago and, of course, had to read the others in the series. It was an easy read and enjoyable. Even though I'm 42 and well out of the target age range it is a book I couldn't put down, wanting to see what happens next. I recommended it to my 13-yr-old daughter.

♥ Ashleigh ♥  contrary to popular belief im not actually mad! (Cheshire_Red) | 62 comments this is one of my fave series, it get better and better as well!!

Smhmk97 | 1 comments This was a pretty interesting series..how they startes out in a home for messed up people and their true realities...it makes u look at ppl who act weird differently...definitely a good series

Lola (LolasReviews) I almost never reread a book. But I've reread this whole series.

@Smhm97 kelley armstrong has some short stories on her website that fill in some blanks. They are nice to read, right now she is writing a short story about what happens after the reckoning, it's on her blog

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Summoning (other topics)
The Awakening (other topics)