Wild Things: YA Grown-Up discussion

YA Reading Challenge > Reading Challenge #6 - 2011 Books We're Excited About

Comments (showing 1-49 of 49) (49 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather (last edited Oct 31, 2010 08:44AM) (new)

Heather Ohana (blackdotbug) Ok folks. Here it is. The official place to post your list of books that you can't wait to read in 2011.

Some guidelines:
1. Books must be upcoming books that are not out yet. They can't have a publishing date before 12/31/10.
2. This is a discussion thread. Post your list and then read everyone else's and ask questions and find new and cool stuff to read that you maybe hadn't heard about before.
3. You get 25 points in Reading Challenge #6 for just posting a list here. (If you already posted your list somewhere else, please repost it here.) You don't have to read any books. If you happen to have read some ARCs for books on your list that is totally allowed as long as the actual publishing date for the book meets the criteria.

Enjoy!

message 2: by Karis (YA Litwit) (last edited Oct 31, 2010 11:38AM) (new)

Karis (YA Litwit) Jacobstein (YALitwit) | 419 comments Task 4.25 Write a list of the books you are most excited about in 2011.
1. The Warlock by Michael Scott (05/24/11)
2. The Black by D.J. MacHale (04/19/11)
3. Rotters by Daniel Kraus (04/05/11)
4. City of Fallen Angels by Cassandra Clare (04/05/11)
5. EntwinedHeather Dixon (03/29/11)
6. The Dark and Hollow Places by Carrie Ryan (03/22/11)
7. Shimmer by Alyson Noel (03/15/11)
8. Demonglass by Rachel Hawkins (02/22/11)
9. Timeless by Alexandra Monir (01/11/11)
10. Unearthly by Cynthia Hand (01/04/11)
I know I've forgotten some, but these are a few...

I forgot Summer and the City by Candace Bushnell (04/26/11)

message 3: by Angela Sunshine, WT Co-Moderator (last edited Oct 31, 2010 11:34AM) (new)

Angela Sunshine (AngelaSunshine) | 2537 comments Mod
These are the books I am really looking forward to:

Cryer’s Cross by Lisa McMann (2/8/11) Cryer's Cross by Lisa McMann
The Dark and Hollow Places by Carrie Ryan (3/22/11) The Dark and Hollow Places (The Forest of Hands and Teeth, #3) by Carrie Ryan
Where She Went by Gayle Foreman (4/5/11) Where She Went by Gayle Forman
Blood Magic by Tessa Gratton (4/26/11) Blood Magic by Tessa Gratton
Hourglass by Myra McEntire (5/24/11) Hourglass by Myra McEntire
Forever by Maggie Stiefvater (7/12/11) Forever (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #3) by Maggie Stiefvater
Trial By Fire by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (Summer 2011) Trial By Fire (Raised by Wolves, #2) by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

I loved Lisa McMann's Wake trilogy, so I am excited to see what her new book is about. I think I read somewhere that it's supposed to be a stand-alone.

The Dark and Hollow Places is the 3rd book in Carrie Ryan's zombie series, and I am loving zombies right now. :)

I'm not sure that I can say I'm looking forward to Where She Went, but I am curious to see how Gayle Foreman followed up If I Stay, which I loved and thought was an excellent solo book. I'm not loving the idea of a sequel, but we'll see.

Both Blood Magic and Hourglass are books by new authors I follow on Twitter. Tessa Gratton and Maggie Stiefvater are good friends.

Forever doesn't even need an explanation. It's Sam...hello?!

Trial By Fire is probably the one I am most looking forward to, though. Even more than Forever! I really, really, REALLY loved Raised By Wolves and am so anxious to get my hot little hands on the second book in the series.

The End. haha...

message 4: by Angela Sunshine, WT Co-Moderator (new)

Heather wrote: "Ok folks. Here it is. The official place to post your list of books that you can't wait to read in 2011.

Some guidelines:
1. Books must be upcoming books that are not out yet. They can't have a p..."

Do we HAVE TO look at the books the others post? My TBR list is going to feel some growing pains... lol...

Karis (YA Litwit) Jacobstein (YALitwit) | 419 comments AngelaSunshine wrote: "These are the books I am really looking forward to:

Cryer’s Cross by Lisa McMann (2/8/11) Cryer's Cross by Lisa McMann
The Dark and Hollow Places by Carrie Ryan (3/22/11) Where She Went by Gayle Forman!! I loved If I Stay.

Stephanie (PremiumCrouton) | 191 comments Oh geez. I was looking through some of the books due out next year and I pretty much squeed outloud.

1. Passion
2. Outside In
3. Defiance
4. Supernaturally

Im sure there will be more as I read the firsts in more series that I haven't gotten into yet.

message 7: by Kellee, WT Co-Moderator (last edited Apr 01, 2011 10:01PM) (new)

Kellee (KelleeMoye) | 2133 comments Mod
2011 is going to be a great year:

Forest of Hands and Teeth #3 The Dark and Hollow Places (3/22/11)
Alex Rider #9 Scorpia Rising (3/31/11)
Heist Society 2 Uncommon Criminals (6/21/11)
If I Stay #2 Where She Went (4/5/11)
Abandon by Meg Cabot (4/26/11)
What Happened to Goodbye by Sarah Dessen (5/10/11)
Skinjacker #3 Everfound (5/3/11)
All These Things I've Done by Gabrielle Zevin (9/27/11)
The Mark #2 The Vision (9/27/11)
Sweet Venom Medusa Girls #1 by Tera Lynn Childs (10/4/11)
Carmen by Walter Dean Myers (4/26/11)
Daisy Danger by Shannon Hale (Moved to 6/1/12??)
Beauty Queens by Libba Bray (5/24/11)
Curse Workers #2 Red Glove (4/5/11)
Maze Runner #3 The Death Cure (10/11/11)
Matched #2 Crossed (11/1/11)
Lisa McMann's MG book The Unwanteds (9/20/11)
Fins Are Forever by Tera Lynn Childs (7/1/11)
Bumped by Megan McCafferty (4/26/11)

And those are just the ones I know about :)
Can't wait!

message 8: by Kellee, WT Co-Moderator (new)

And thank you Angela- Didn't realize Forever by Maggie Stiefvater is coming out in 2011 too. Haven't read Linger yet, but I plan to.

Also, I had forgotten about Lisa McMann's new book- Another book to the TBR :P

message 9: by Kellee, WT Co-Moderator (new)

Also just heard about: Drought by Pam Bachorz & Divergent by Veronica Roth. Both highly recommended by someone who read the ARCs

Stephanie (PremiumCrouton) | 191 comments Kellee...atleast you are on Linger...I haven't even read Shiver yet

It is most def on my list though...a long will a million other books >.>

message 11: by Angela Sunshine, WT Co-Moderator (new)

Dang it you guys!!! I need to stay away from this topic!!

Ashley (Affie) | 468 comments I wasn't really excited about Where She Went when I first heard about it. I thought If I Stay was perfect on its own. But, then I saw the Blog Teaser Tour the author put out- There were 10 different blogs who each posted one new fact about the book for 10 days, and I'm incredibly anxious now! It's from Adam's POV 3 years later, and I can't wait! Sigh...

Karis (YA Litwit) Jacobstein (YALitwit) | 419 comments I didn't know the 3rd Skinjacker book was coming out! I LOVE Neal Shusterman! YaY! I love Gabrielle Zevin too! 2011 is going to be an exciting year!

I just found out Inara Scott's 2nd Delcroix Academy book is coming out too!

message 14: by Angela Sunshine, WT Co-Moderator (new)

I forgot Dust & Decay by Jonathan Maberry, the sequel to Rot & Ruin (Benny Imura, #1) by Jonathan Maberry

Shadowspell by Jenna Black, the sequel to Glimmerglass (Faeriewalker, #1) by Jenna Black

And a new series by Caitlin Kittredge which sounds good... The Iron Thorn (Iron Codex, #1) by Caitlin Kittredge

And I am with you on the Skinjacker book. Totally forgot it!

message 15: by Amy (last edited Oct 31, 2010 05:24PM) (new)

Amy | 1931 comments Okay so here's my list.

Passion by Lauren Kate (third in the Fallen series)

Hades by Alexandra Adornetto (book two in the Halo series)

Forever by Maggie Stiefvater (part of the Shiver series)

Everlasting by Alyson Noel

Timeless by Alexandra Monir

Unearthly by Cynthia Hand (I love anything angels)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 110 comments AngelaSunshine wrote: "Dang it you guys!!! I need to stay away from this topic!!"

I feel like that with most topics, my to read list is getting crazy out of hand...

Amy | 1931 comments Mine too. Then it makes me stressed out b/c I don't have as much reading time as I'd like.

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 110 comments I don't have time or the money, it makes me ansty I have a friend who is making fun of me for it

Stephanie (PremiumCrouton) | 191 comments I dont have the money either >.< Thankfully due to working at a bookstore I have the ability to get my hands on things.

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 110 comments haha lucky!

Stephanie (PremiumCrouton) | 191 comments Lucky, but at the same time...it is a curse. If you think your list grows just by looking at what others read on here...think about how my list grows

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 110 comments haha yeah which is kind of why I never put myself in that situation...

Amy | 1931 comments That's why I love the library! But the downside is when I find a book I love I have to give it back. That's not so good.

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 110 comments that would suck...

Kristen | 1046 comments I love being a librarian (although I'm at an elementary school). I definitely bought The Lost Hero asap for my library just so I could read it lol. I'm gonna post my list later today.. I warn you it's gonna be huge... I'm a super duper book addict!

I hear you guys about wanting to own books instead of borrowing (and being broke...). I live in an area also that has a ton of authors coming frequently and I've been so broke lately I just avoid it altogether because I can't buy any of their books. Which is sad cause some of these authors are absolutely fantastic. But my husband just started working again so I'll hopefully be able to buy more in the future.

Heather Ohana (blackdotbug) Books I'm Excited About in 2011 :)

#  Available     Title
1   1/1/11     The Water Wars
2   1/2/11     Brave New Worlds
3   1/4/11     The Faeman Quest (The Faerie Wars Chronicles, Book 5)
4   1/11/11     Timeless
5   1/25/11     Famous
6   2/1/11     Delirium
7   2/1/11     The Iron Witch (Ironbridge Chronicles, #1)
8   2/3/11     The Bridge of Clay
9   2/8/11     Cloaked
10   2/8/11     The Floating Islands
11   2/15/11     Angelfire (Angelfire, #1)
12   2/22/11     The Iron Thorn (Iron Codex, #1)
13   2/22/11     Darkness Becomes Her
14   3/1/11     Outside In (Inside Out, #2)
15   3/1/11     The Liar Society (The Liar Society, #1)
16   3/1/11     Steel
17   3/22/11     A World Without Heroes (Beyonders, #1)
18   3/22/11     Wither (Chemical Garden, #1)
19   3/31/11     Stories by Al Sarrantonio, Neil Gaiman
20   4/1/11     Bitterblue (The Seven Kingdoms, #3)
21   4/4/11     The Abused Werewolf Rescue Group
22   4/5/11     Kat, Incorrigible (Kat, Incorrigible, #1)
23   4/8/11     Darke (Septimus Heap, #6)
24   4/12/11     The Gathering (Darkness Rising, #1)
25   5/3/11     Divergent
26   7/7/11     Luminous
27   7/26/11     Wildefire
28   8/31/11     Radiance
29   9/1/11     Absolute Midnight (Arabat 3)
30   10/1/11     Alpha (Nevermore Series, #1)
31  unknown 2011  Goliath (Leviathan, #3)
32  4/4/11  Theodosia and the Last Pharaoh (Theodosia Throckmorton #4)
33  unknown 2011  The Dragons of Winter (Imaginarium Geographica #6)
34  unknown 2011  The Warlock (The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel,#5)
35  unknown 2011  Pirate Cinema
36  7/12/11  Starstruck
37  unknown 2011  All These Things I've Done (Birthright, #1)
38  unknown 2011  The Cabinet of Earths
39  unknown 2011  The Darkness Dwellers

Amy | 1931 comments OMG that list Heather!! LOL. I'm gonna have to sift through your list when I get home to find new books to wait for.

message 28: by Kellee, WT Co-Moderator (new)

DITTO! OMG!

Amy wrote: "OMG that list Heather!! LOL. I'm gonna have to sift through your list when I get home to find new books to wait for."

message 29: by Kellee, WT Co-Moderator (new)

@Heather- Stories: All-New Tales by Gaiman is already out...

Amy | 1931 comments I think I officially have a LOVE/HATE relationship with this thread. Love all these great reads coming out, hate that they aren't avaiable now!

Heather Ohana (blackdotbug) Kellee wrote: "@Heather- Stories: All-New Tales by Gaiman is already out..."

Is it really? That's awesome. :)

Stephanie (PremiumCrouton) | 191 comments Yup thats been out for a few months. I totally want to read it. A guy I know did, he liked it.

message 35: by Kellee, WT Co-Moderator (new)

Adding Fins Are Forever by Tera Lynn Childs to my list. Just finished #1- good stuff :)

Lydia (LoverofInformation) | 594 comments Oh, man! I didn't mean to come back to the board with this post going on!! The place I just moved to has a library that just can't match the one in Miami, so I may be buying too much next year. Guess I have to get a job!

Karis (YA Litwit) Jacobstein (YALitwit) | 419 comments Does anyone know when book two of the Lorien Legacies comes out (sequel to I Am Number Four by Pittacus Lore)? Just finished the 1st and thought it was great...

Kalyn | 2 comments Books without covers yet:

Dust & Decay- Johnathan Maberry (Sequel to Rot & Ruin)
Bitterblue- Kristen Cashore
Prized - Caragh O'Brien (sequel to Birthmarked)
Goliath - Scott Westerfeld
Crossed - Ally Condie (Matched #2! 11/1/11)

Books with covers:

The Dark and Hollow Places (The Forest of Hands and Teeth, #3) by Carrie Ryan Divergent by Veronica Roth Drought by Pam Bachorz Wither (Chemical Garden, #1) by Lauren DeStefano Across the Universe by Beth Revis The Water Wars by Cameron Stracher Brave New Worlds  Dystopian Stories by John Joseph Adams Delirium (Delirium, #1) by Lauren Oliver Outside In by Maria V. Snyder Enclave (Razorland, #1) by Ann Aguirre Corsets and Clockwork  13 Steampunk Romances by Trisha Telep Chain Reaction (Perfect Chemisty, #3) by Simone Elkeles Bloodlines (Bloodlines, #1) by Richelle Mead Dead Reckoning (Sookie Stackhouse, #11) by Charlaine Harris Bumped by Megan McCafferty

Amy | 1931 comments Bumped looks really good!

Beth | 86 comments I'm trying to keep things toned down, so I don't go too crazy before the year even starts. I'm really most excited about Forever by Maggie Stiefvater and Where She Went by Gayle Forman.

I'm realizing how far behind I am on some other series that I've been meaning to read. I guess I'll have to adapt my New Year's Resolution.

Amy | 1931 comments I think that would be a good resolution (related to books I mean). I never keep the ones about eating healthy, exercising, etc. So maybe mine should be book related as well!

Lydia (LoverofInformation) | 594 comments I just discovered that Amazon (or rather the various vendors) buy books back for credit on Amazon! (They sent me a message.) So, I went through my books that I really didn't need anymore and collected $65 in credit with Amazon! The really neat thing is that they pay for the postage to send the books.

I realize you don't always get the best deal (one of my books was worth $. 84) but sending them off, knowing somebody might use them made me feel great. Then I can donate the others to my library!

Now, I can afford getting some of these books coming out!

Amy | 1931 comments Wow, seriously? How do I do that? I have two boxes of books waiting to be claimed by someone on paperback swap. If amazon will buy them back, then I want to do that!

message 44: by Angela Sunshine, WT Co-Moderator (new)

Amy wrote: "Wow, seriously? How do I do that? I have two boxes of books waiting to be claimed by someone on paperback swap. If amazon will buy them back, then I want to do that!"

I haven't done it yet either, but I did see where they tell you how much you'll get. If you look at the page for the book you own, on the right hand side under the "add book to cart" section it says "sell back your copy".

message 45: by Angela Sunshine, WT Co-Moderator (new)

Lydia wrote: "I just discovered that Amazon (or rather the various vendors) buy books back for credit on Amazon! (They sent me a message.) So, I went through my books that I really didn't need anymore and collec..."

Good to know! I have had some on swap forever that haven't gotten any attention. Lord knows I need to move some out before I get new 2011s!!

Amy | 1931 comments Thanks Angela! Gonna head over to amazon. The credits you get, do you get to spend them at amazon? Or do you still need to pay additional money?

Lydia (LoverofInformation) | 594 comments You get an Amazon gift card so you can spend it on Amazon. You must check the ISBN number to make sure they match. If you have any textbooks, they are also wanted.

The money on the Gift card will not expire.

Amy | 1931 comments Do you have to give your credit card number? That was the only option I saw.

message 49: by Shauntelle (last edited Mar 12, 2011 06:15AM) (new)

Shauntelle James (PromQueenof2005) | 8 comments I bought some books and plan to read them:

Princess in Waitng (Meg Cabot)-Reading Now
Princess in Training (Meg Cabot)
Lost Little Black Girl (Keith Lee Johnson)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Black (other topics)
City of Fallen Angels (other topics)
Unearthly (other topics)
Shimmer (other topics)
Rotters (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Cassandra Clare (other topics)
Michael Scott (other topics)
Cynthia Hand (other topics)