College Students! discussion

Reading Goals/ Challenges > NaNo Anyone?

Comments (showing 1-28 of 28) (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Did you guys know that November is National Novel Writing Month? Thousands of people, myself included, have already signed up for the 50,000 word challenge. To learn more and or to sign up follow this link http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/node/369.... Now, who's going to join me?

message 2: by R (new)

R (feste) Actually, I think I might go ahead and have a crack at it this year. I just signed up, my username there is anachronist.

Tracy (A Good Novel) | 30 comments I did it last year and won, but this year I'm just so focused on other writing projects and schoolwork that as much as I want to, I don't think I will. I hope everyone here who does succeeds! I had a lot of fun with it last year and it's a good feeling to have those 50,000 words out!

message 4: by Emily (new)

Emily  O (ReadingWhileFemale) | 487 comments I won't be joining (I don't write) but I hope that everyone who does join has a great time. Good luck, and keep us updated!

message 5: by Natanya (new)

Natanya (vraisemble) | 255 comments One of my friends did NaNoWriMo a couple years ago...I wish I had that kind of motivation. I have a hard enough time just getting blog posts written.

message 6: by Ashley (last edited Nov 03, 2010 09:10PM) (new)

Ashley Lauren (ashleylaurenauthor) | 149 comments I am a huuuuge NaNo-er! This will be my 10th year participating. It's such an amazing experience - I encourage everyone to do it. If you are too busy to do it - that's even MORE reason to go for it; no joke. It's such a great accomplishment.

I'd love for people find me on the site! My login is Ashley_Lauren.

Happy writing!

message 7: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
I do/did well enough writing papers for classes and such, but I have never tried writing fiction just to write. It is pretty slow at work right now and typing would be easy enough to fit in, so maybe I will try it out. Here is to the most boring novel of all times!

Has anyone read any of the novels that have been published that were written for NaNo?

Oh, also a funny unrelated story. My sister's name is Danielle and my nephew couldn't say it when he was little, so he calls her Nano!

message 8: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Lauren (ashleylaurenauthor) | 149 comments Tami wrote: "I do/did well enough writing papers for classes and such, but I have never tried writing fiction just to write. It is pretty slow at work right now and typing would be easy enough to fit in, so may..."

I don't know - usually "boring" isn't how NaNo novels turn out - when things get too slow in the plot ninjas and pirates start coming out of nowhere - trust me ;-).

Water for Elephants and (I'm pretty sure) Ape House by Sara Gruen are both NaNo novels. Water for Elephants is amazing and I haven't yet had the chance to pick up Ape House, though it's on my list!

message 9: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
oh, I have read Water for Elephants, it was good. I also meant boring becuase I am not very imaginative. I am a total left brain.(facts and figures please) :)

message 10: by Jen (new)

Jen (wishesandwanderlust) | 696 comments I didn't know that Water For Elephants was a NaNo novel!

message 11: by Anastasia (new)

Anastasia (spencerafreeman) I've known about NaNo for years now, and I've always wanted (but have been too busy) to participate. I actually wrote about it for my class blog (and reposted on my personal blog), if anyone wants more info or wants to check it out.

I'm hoping next year that I'll be in a position to participate (read: NOT in school!). Until then, I'll be cheering everyone else on! :)

message 12: by Shwetika (new)

Shwetika | 72 comments Emily wrote: "I won't be joining (I don't write) but I hope that everyone who does join has a great time. Good luck, and keep us updated!"

Same here. Good Luck to all

message 13: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Lauren (ashleylaurenauthor) | 149 comments Jen wrote: "I didn't know that Water For Elephants was a NaNo novel!"

Yeah! It makes me feel like a total failure because of how crappy my NaNo novels turn out! :-D

message 14: by Sara (new)

Sara (thecrazygal) | 403 comments Oi! I wish I'd seen this earlier ... I am participating as well. :)
I'm to 43k, only a bit more to go.
http://www.goodreads.com/story/show/2...
is what I have up on goodreads so far, anyone interested in giving some feedback, feel free.

and that's interesting, I never would've thought that book was a NaNo. :P

message 15: by Anastasia (new)

Anastasia (spencerafreeman) Saved By Grace wrote: "Oi! I wish I'd seen this earlier ... I am participating as well. :)
I'm to 43k, only a bit more to go.
http://www.goodreads.com/story/show/2... ..."

SBG, I read your first chapter and it's really good! I love the premise of the story -- totally unique and captivating. I hope you hit your 50k goal! :) Keep us updated!

message 16: by Sara (new)

Sara (thecrazygal) | 403 comments Danke, Anastasia. :)

message 17: by Sara (new)

Sara (thecrazygal) | 403 comments Woot. I've passed 50k. :)

message 18: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Lauren (ashleylaurenauthor) | 149 comments Saved By Grace wrote: "Woot. I've passed 50k. :)"

WOO-HOO!!!!! Congratulations!!!

message 19: by Sara (new)

Sara (thecrazygal) | 403 comments Danke! ^^ lol

message 20: by Anastasia (new)

Anastasia (spencerafreeman) Saved By Grace wrote: "Woot. I've passed 50k. :)"

CONGRATS! You totally inspire me to start writing again :) Now that you've hit 50k, is the story finished, or will you continue to write more? And what are your plans after you finish writing? I'm not sure if you know, but CreateSpace gives those who finish free pubbed copies of their book once they're done... You should definitely publish your hard work! :)

message 21: by Sara (new)

Sara (thecrazygal) | 403 comments I've been writing more, putting all my friends in it and having them act crazy. A few characters just have their names, while the rest I try to put a bit of who they are in the characters as well as bearing their names. And just because I want to put more plot in, and more stories. It is the Book of a Thousand Worlds, after all.
After I finish writing it, I'm going to edit it ... and yes, for the purpose of that createspace offer. :D
Because I hate editing.

message 22: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
Congrats Saved By Grace! Did anyone else finish?

message 23: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Lauren (ashleylaurenauthor) | 149 comments I did! I rolled past the 50,000 last night :-)

message 24: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
Woo Hoo! Congrats!

message 25: by Jen (new)

Jen (wishesandwanderlust) | 696 comments Congrats Saved By Grace and Ashley!!

message 26: by Sara (new)

Sara (thecrazygal) | 403 comments :D Grats Ash. :)

message 27: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
I noticed some other groups mentioning this and thought it would be a nice reminder a month early for those who would like to participate this year.

http://www.nanowrimo.org/

message 28: by Sara (new)

Sara (thecrazygal) | 403 comments Ah! I actually remembered goodreads THROUGH nano cause there is a goodreads group on there. And felt quite guilty, since I used to be on this site almost 24/7, it felt like.
So, hi! XD
I still don't have my book published, tis one of those 'exciting things' that once you try to buckle down and read and reread and catch mistakes, you kinda drift. I'm bored already. >.< My last proofreader never got back to me, so I doubt it'll be published by November, much less the end of this year. XD
BUT I have a new epic story of course, for NaNoWriMo, one I like much better; and should it ever become a book and not simply a self-published one, I'd be quite happy.

unread topics | mark unread