Clean Romances discussion

Welcome!! > Historical romance is my type of romance!

Comments (showing 1-50 of 112) (112 new)    post a comment »

Linda Clarke (lindaweaverclarke) | 76 comments Hi Joyce,

What a wonderful idea to have a clean romance section! So many times I've picked up a book, thinking it was a good clean romance and was fooled!!! It seemed the only clean romances were for young adults. Not fair! I was seriously wondering if I could ever find a good book with a mature heroine that wasn't a teenager in high school. I love young adult fiction but I long for a clean romance where the heroine is in her 20s or 30s. Okay, that said, I have a few books that I want you to add to your book shelves, Joyce. I suspect you already know which ones they are since you know me so well.

A historical romance series, A Family Saga in Bear Lake, Idaho, includes the following novels: Melinda and the Wild West (2006)-a semi-finalist for the “Reviewers Choice Award,” Edith and the Mysterious Stranger (2008), Jenny’s Dream (2009), David and the Bear Lake Monster (2009), and Elena, Woman of Courage (2009). The last one on this list is set in the roaring twenties, when women had to fight for their rights.

Have a great day!
Best Wishes,
Linda Weaver Clarke

message 2: by Joyce, Group Creator (new)

Joyce | 577 comments Mod
Welcome to Clean Romances, Linda! You can add your books to our shelves yourself. When you do, please assign them to a shelf that best describes their sub-genre so that readers who are looking for that particular sub-genre can find them easily. :-)

Linda Clarke (lindaweaverclarke) | 76 comments Thanks, Joyce. I hope you get some real good response from this group. I noticed that many people are in the same boat as us. They want "sweet" romances, also. This group was a great idea!

message 4: by Jaimey, Co-Mod (new)

Jaimey (jaimeygrant) | 409 comments Mod
Hi Linda! Welcome to the group. :o)

Linda Clarke (lindaweaverclarke) | 76 comments Thanks, Jaimey. I'm excited about your interview and book give-away on my blog on November 29th. It's going to be so much fun. We'll have to let this group know about your interview so they can participate.

Jennifer Becton (JenniferBecton) | 8 comments I like clean Regency romances. It's all about the romantic tension for me. I like Jude Morgan's An Accomplished Woman and Indiscretion. Georgette Heyer is usually nice, but I've found a few that I didn't care much for. And I love Jane Austen.

message 7: by Joyce, Group Creator (new)

Joyce | 577 comments Mod
I love Regency romance, too, Jennifer. I'll have to check out Jude Morgan's books.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Me too, thanks for the tip. :)

Caroline Fyffe | 34 comments Hi All--
Just wanted to say--try a western!! LOL I write sweet with plenty of romance--all set in the old West. Here is what a reviewer said about my second novel, the first in the McCutcheon Family saga...

“MONTANA DAWN, Caroline Fyffe's second late nineteenth century Great Plains Americana romance is a superb tale that grips the audience the moment that Luke investigates the scream and never slows down for even a paragraph.” ~~Harriet Klausner

Thanks so much and have a super March day!
~Caroline

Linda Clarke (lindaweaverclarke) | 76 comments Wow! I would love to interview you on my blog about your new book. This sounds wonderful. If you're interested in being interviewed by me and having a book giveaway, let me know. You can check out my blog at http://lindaweaverclarke.blogspot.com. My email is listed on my blog and you can get in touch with me.

Rea I adore Georgette Heyer's regency romance novels. She's so classy. As one of the quotes on the back cover says: Georgette Heyer is what other authors can only aspire to."
I've not read many by her as of yet. I plan to read more in the future, though. My favourite so far is Devil's Cub.
"I'm devlish sure I can't live without her."
Mmmm! Very romantic!

Though they are principally mystery novels, I also enjoy Deanna Raybourn's Lady Julia novels (her other title, Dead Travel Fast, is boardering on unclean. I had no issues with it but I have no issues regarding unclean romances except their clunkiness).
Anyway, Julia... I can't remember what the language is like in it but I don't think it's dirty or I would have remembered. There are things that go on in the books post book 3, but they're only hinted at and not gone into in detail. It's my favourite series right now, though, and I'm impatiently awaiting the next book in June / July.

Debra Brown (DebraBrown) | 78 comments I love historical sweet romance like Jane Austen. I have been afraid to call my book a romance due to the erotic connotation, but want it to reach people that like sweet romance. It has some mystery, so I have called it a historical mystery and have used the term "polite romance" in the hopes that people will understand what I mean. You know, where the guy doesn't turn his back on the girl until he has excused himself. Where he actually wants to marry her. I loved about "Pirates of Penzance" that the pirates were capturing girls to marry them! Lol.

My book is not out yet and the publisher has not given me a date. So I don't know if it can be added to the bookshelf yet, but I will when it can be. It is "The Companion of Lady Holmeshire".

message 13: by Joyce, Group Creator (last edited May 15, 2011 09:22PM) (new)

Joyce | 577 comments Mod
We're not embarrassed by the term "romance" here, Debra. Here, "romance" still simply means a love story, albeit for this group, the focus is on love without the sex scenes. In the romance industry, "sweet romance" still generally means a romance without sex scenes, but when I wanted to set up a sweet romance group on Goodreads, I discovered that someone else had already taken the name and filled it with erotic titles. That's why I used the term "Clean Romances" for this group. Since that time, other "true" sweet romance groups have sprung up here, such as The Sweetest Romance Authors group, of which I am also a member. You might want to check them out: http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/3...

It sounds like your romance will be very welcome here. Be sure to add it to our shelves as soon as it's published. :-)

message 14: by Debra (last edited May 31, 2011 12:13PM) (new)

Debra Brown (DebraBrown) | 78 comments Thanks, I have joined that group, too. Now to have some time to be more involved!

I would like to, over time, do interviews of clean pre-1930s historical fiction authors on my website. Romance or not. If your writing qualifies as that and you would like to be interviewed, please leave your name for me.

Linda Clarke (lindaweaverclarke) | 76 comments Hi Debra,

I would love to be interviewed by you. You may reach me at linda@lindaweaverclarke.com. Thanks for the opportunity.

message 16: by Joyce, Group Creator (new)

Joyce | 577 comments Mod
I'd be up for an interview too, Debra. Thanks! jdipastena AT yahoo DOT com. :-)

message 17: by Debra (last edited May 31, 2011 01:13PM) (new)

Debra Brown (DebraBrown) | 78 comments Great, Linda. For anyone: If you want the interview, please include in an email to me (at kescah at gmail dot com) information that will help me to formulate questions. That means, for example, a website link, book information link, personal bio, anything that helps me to know about you and your books. Obviously, it will take some time to get to each of you. And hopefully it goes without saying: Clean books. Thanks!

Danielle Thorne (daniellethorne) | 138 comments Oh, me, too, Debra, I'll email you. I have a Regency and a 1729 maritime historical.

And Nice to Meet You.

Danielle Thorne

Debra Brown (DebraBrown) | 78 comments Danielle wrote: "Oh, me, too, Debra, I'll email you. I have a Regency and a 1729 maritime historical.

And Nice to Meet You.

Danielle Thorne"

Nice to meet you, too, I look forward to getting to know you all better.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Today I ran across a Mary Stewart romance which I used to read long ago. Mom and I read them all. They may be hard to find now but they were clean and most were very romantic. You will want to keep them in mind. I ordered The Ivy Tree on interlibrary loan today.

Mary Stewart
This Rough Magic

message 21: by Joyce, Group Creator (new)

Joyce | 577 comments Mod
Alice wrote: "Today I ran across a Mary Stewart romance which I used to read long ago. Mom and I read them all. They may be hard to find now but they were clean and most were very romantic. You will want to k..."

Mary Stewart was a wonderful author, Alice. And isn't interlibrary loan a wonderful thing? :-)

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Joyce wrote: " Alice wrote: "Today I ran across a Mary Stewart romance which I used to read long ago. Mom and I read them all. They may be hard to find now but they were clean and most were very romantic. You..."

I thought sure the library would have a copy but they don't. Seems like just yesterday you could find her books anywhere. Glad you enjoy her books also.

Nanci | 62 comments Joyce wrote: " Alice wrote: "Today I ran across a Mary Stewart romance which I used to read long ago. Mom and I read them all. They may be hard to find now but they were clean and most were very romantic. You..."

I also love Mary Stewart, I read everything she ever wrote. Maybe it is time for a reread. Thanks for the reminder.

Csencsitz (ChristineCsencsitz) | 1 comments Hey everyone! I just wanted to introduce myself really quick because I am new to this group. My name is Christine and I am a college student from Florida. I love to read and write. Recently, I had my first novel published. It is a historical fiction romance (clean, no worries!) set in Boston during the early 20th century and follows the interactions of the four protagonists as they maneuver through the stringent and cold Bostonian elite. I would love for you all to check it out. It is available for purchase on Amazon (http://www.tinyurl.com/August1899) and Barnes & Nobles (http://www.tinyurl.com/B-NAugust). Have a lovely day, everyone! I am so glad I stumbled upon this group.

message 25: by Joyce, Group Creator (new)

Joyce | 577 comments Mod
Csencsitz wrote: "Hey everyone! I just wanted to introduce myself really quick because I am new to this group. My name is Christine and I am a college student from Florida. I love to read and write. Recently, I had ..."

Hey Christine,

Congratulations on your new book! Feel free to add it to our group bookshelf, if you haven't already. :-)

Caroline Fyffe | 34 comments Hi, Christine. Welcome to Clean Romances! It's a great group. And, congrats on your first book. I'll go check it out now. Cheers!

~C
www.carolinefyffe.com

message 27: by Shirley (last edited Sep 15, 2011 07:14AM) (new)

Shirley Marks | 6 comments Hello! My name is Shirley and this group represents exactly what I love to read and what I write.

I've written Regency Romances, and a few Contemporary Romances, for Avalon Books which supplies the library market. The best part is they're free from your local library.

Avalon Books is a family friendly, nonsecular publisher printing 60 books a year: 4 Contemporary Romance, 2 Historical Romance, 2 Mysteries, and 2 Westerns every two months. Check your local library to see if they carry them.

I'm adding my books to the group's bookshelf. Thanks.

Shirley

www.ShirleyMarks.com
The Suitor List - Book 1 - out now!
Perfectly Flawed - Book 2 - coming soon!
The Gentlemen of Worth series - Avalon Books

message 28: by Joyce, Group Creator (new)

Joyce | 577 comments Mod
Shirley wrote: "Hello! My name is Shirley and this group represents exactly what I love to read and what I write.

I've written Regency Romances, and a few Contemporary Romances, for Avalon Books which supplies th..."

Thank you for adding to the clean romance market, Shirley! I love Regencies, so I'm looking forward to checking out your titles. :-)

Danielle Thorne (daniellethorne) | 138 comments I love clean Regencies. They are hard to find! Welcome to the group, Shirley!

Shirley Marks | 6 comments Danielle wrote: "I love clean Regencies. They are hard to find! Welcome to the group, Shirley!"

Joyce wrote: "Shirley wrote: "Hello! My name is Shirley and this group represents exactly what I love to read and what I write.

Thanks for the welcome. :) I read a lot of old Traditional Regencies, mainly from the used book stores. They are hard to find, Danielle.

There are many authors who are releasing their back lists on ebook: Candice Hern, Allison Lane, Emily Hendrickson, Joan Smith, and Marion Chesney to name a few.

Debra Brown (DebraBrown) | 78 comments Titanic... I was shocked that they rated it PG-13. What with the car scene (steamy windows). And the nude modeling.

Bri Clark (BriClark) | 8 comments My favorite Clean Romance author is Stephy Smith. Ofcourse she's the only one I know of right now. Hannah Howell and Stepanie Laurens aren't clean but they aren't raunchy their love scenes don't offend me or get out of hand. Plus they have a pattern so I can skip them if I want. For me it's about the characters. I'm a sucker to 15th century highland romance and the ton in England. Stephy Smith

Debra Brown (DebraBrown) | 78 comments Hi Bri (and all who love English fiction)~

Please visit the new blog English Historical Fiction Authors and try to win a Kindle, Amazon Gift Certificates or books! It is going on this weekend: http://englishhistoryauthors.blogspot...

Also, I have an interview giveaway going on at Joyce's blog: http://jdp-news.blogspot.com/2011/09/.... My book:

The Companion of Lady Holmeshire by Debra  Brown

Danielle Thorne (daniellethorne) | 138 comments Thanks for the heads-up! I've already entered your contest at Joyce's. I'll have to check out the others.

Bri Clark (BriClark) | 8 comments Thanks Debra

Caroline Fyffe | 34 comments Hi, All! My new book, Texas Twilight, book two in the McCutcheon Family series, is now available in E-Book! Set in Rio Wells, Texas, it’s the sequel to Montana Dawn, which was voted by readers, “Best Western Romance of 2010,” at Love Western Romances!

Here's a short blurb;

Fresh out of medical school, John McCutcheon finds his stagecoach under attack by brutal outlaws. With the help of a feisty acquaintance, Lily Anthony, he manages to fend off the assault. Lily is attracted to the charming cowboy-doctor, with his chiseled good looks and teasing ways, then heartbroken to learn he’s engaged to be married.

“I laughed. I cried. I didn’t want Texas Twilight to end.”
– Theresa Ragan, author of Return of the Rose

Once settled in Rio Wells, Texas, John tries to ignore the fact that his cousin has taken a shine to Lily. When a bounty hunter shows up looking for a priceless jewel that Lily has found stashed away in her aunt’s belongings, Lily fears her dreams of owning her own shop--and of finding true love--are about to go up in flames...or, could that just be the glow of a beautiful … Texas Twilight?

http://www.amazon.com/Texas-Twilight-...

Thanks so much for letting me share here. I love this group!

All the best!

~Caroline

Jessica (princess12sally) | 4 comments I like summer in paris but i would like to see a sequel of that novel.

Kristy James (goodreadscomKristyKJames) | 9 comments Hi, I'm Kristy. I didn't know about this group until a few minutes ago and wanted to make an offer. I write G-rated romance novels and would be willing to provide free Kindle versions of Reluctant Guardian (an historical romance) to a few readers in exchange for some feedback. And maybe a review on Amazon, whether you like it or not, but it wouldn't be necessary. But I would love to have your opinion about the book. Thanks! :)

Linore (Linrose) | 25 comments Hey everyone,

Didn't want you to miss this. For a limited time only, my publisher is giving away my first regency FREE on Kindle. Here's the link: get it while it's free!
Click Here.

If clicking the link doesn't work, just cut and paste it into your browser, or just go to Amazon and type in the title (BEFORE THE SEASON ENDS) or my name,(Linore Rose Burkard) and you'll see a link.

Promotion is good only 11/18-11/29. Download it and save it for a snowy day! : )

Linore
http://www.LinoreBurkard.com

Melissa (mblisa) | 7 comments I was looking thru my groups this evening -- to post
a note about the following book - Love Finds You in Sugarcreek, Ohio. Has anyone read this book?
=)
It sounds really good.

Linore (Linrose) | 25 comments I've heard good things about it, but haven't read it yet. I live near Sugarcreek, Ohio, so it's on my TBR pile!

Melissa (mblisa) | 7 comments Linore wrote: "I've heard good things about it, but haven't read it yet. I live near Sugarcreek, Ohio, so it's on my TBR pile!"

Thats interesting that you live near Sugarcreek, Ohio
Linore! Its nice meeting you! =D

Linore (Linrose) | 25 comments Thank you, Melissa. I love it here in Ohio, too.It's a wonderful place to raise the family (I have five kids).
What about you? Are you a mid-westerner? We're actually transplants from New York.

message 44: by Melissa (last edited Nov 23, 2011 07:09AM) (new)

Melissa (mblisa) | 7 comments Linore wrote: "Thank you, Melissa. I love it here in Ohio, too.It's a wonderful place to raise the family (I have five kids).
What about you? Are you a mid-westerner? We're actually transplants from New York."

I live in Kansas, I was born in KS - ( and grew up on a dairy farm )..I love the country living, but live in "the city" now.

Linore (Linrose) | 25 comments Hi all,
I have a new historical romance short on Kindle for .99cents! http://amzn.to/turedh
"Coach and Four: Allisandra's Tale (A Romantic Intrigue from the Days of Charles II).
Hope you enjoy it!

Reina Williams | 15 comments Hi! I'm so glad I found this group (Thanks, Jaimey)! Thanks to the mods for creating it and I look forward to finding fun new reads. :)
I also write sweet Regencies. The first book in my series, A Gentleman's Daughter: Her Choice , is available on Kindle now and soon in paperback. I'll be hosting a giveaway here on Goodreads once the paperback is out.
A Gentleman's Daughter: Her Choice

message 47: by Jaimey, Co-Mod (new)

Jaimey (jaimeygrant) | 409 comments Mod
Hi, Reina! So glad you decided to join us! :O)

Debra Brown (DebraBrown) | 78 comments Hi Reina,

Congrats on your book!

Let us know when the giveaway starts. I'll help promote it.

Debbie

Reina Williams | 15 comments Thanks Jaimey and Debbie! :)

Christine Jensen (ChrisJensen) | 13 comments Linore wrote: "Hey everyone,

Didn't want you to miss this. For a limited time only, my publisher is giving away my first regency FREE on Kindle. Here's the link: get it while it's free!
Click Here.

If clicking..."

I am reading this book right now :)

« previous 1 3