Fans of Amish Fiction discussion

Amish Group Reads > November's Book - A Time to Love by Barbara Cameron

Comments (showing 1-48 of 48) (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel (last edited Oct 25, 2010 10:45AM) (new)

Rachel Brand | 2051 comments Mod
Please join us in reading A Time to Love, the first book in the 'Quilts of Lancaster' series, by Barbara Cameron during the month of November.

Synopsis:
When Jennie is injured in a car bomb attack overseas, she awakens beneath one of her grandmother's Amish quilts---and discovers something even more comforting: an invitation to recuperate back home in Lancaster County. Pennsylvania life proves healing in many ways---until she unexpectedly falls in love! After traveling the world, could she ever settle here?

Whenever you've finished the novel, feel free to post your comments about the book and any questions you think would be good for group discussion. Spoilers are perfectly fine but it might be a good idea to type ***SPOILER*** at the start of your post to alert any members who haven't finished the book if you're mentioning a major plot point that should be kept secret.

Happy reading!

message 2: by Diane U (new)

Diane U (djuseless) | 1555 comments Mod
I totally loved this book! I cannot wait to talk about it with the group!!

message 3: by Marta (new)

Marta Perry (MartaPerry) | 61 comments I'm looking forward to reading it, but was disappointed that it's not available on Kindle.

Marta Perry

message 4: by Diane U (last edited Oct 25, 2010 11:14AM) (new)

Marta~

It is available over at Net Galley for free. Are you a member?

Diane

message 5: by Rachel (last edited Oct 30, 2010 05:29AM) (new)

Oh, that's sad that it's not on Kindle. I wonder why that is? I know that Vannetta Chapman's book is available and it's by the same publisher - Abingdon Press - so that's strange.

I also loved this book and am looking forward to discussing it! I think it's quite original for an Amish novel, particularly the fact that Jennie has been in a warzone vs. the idea of Amish pacifism. That will hopefully be a interesting topic to talk about.

message 6: by Barbara Ann (new)

Barbara Ann | 918 comments Mod
Diane U wrote: "I totally loved this book! I cannot wait to talk about it with the group!!"

Me too!

message 7: by Camille (new)

Camille (CamilleElise) | 872 comments I'm excited! It's almost time to start this one!

message 8: by Rachel (new)

I'm excited too! This is definitely one of the best Amish books I've read this year so I'm looking forward to hearing other's thoughts on it, about what they did and didn't like and so on. No one is under compulsion to love it just because some of us did; it'll be particularly interesting if we all had differing opinions!

message 9: by Camille (new)

Camille (CamilleElise) | 872 comments It's November 3rd and I already finished this book! I'll have a full review, probably tomorrow. :) What a wonderful book though. 5 stars! I really hope there is a sequel!

message 10: by Diane U (last edited Nov 04, 2010 03:23AM) (new)

Yes, I believe I read that the next one is called A Time to Heal and is due out in March 2011. She has been working on completing the third book too but I have not heard a title or release date.

message 11: by Rachel (new)

Glad you liked it, Camille! I think the third book is called A Time for Peace and will be out sometime 2011 - I read this on the Amish Hearts website some time ago.

message 12: by Camille (new)

Camille (CamilleElise) | 872 comments Great! I'm excited! Hopefully it will be available on NetGalley for us to review. :)

message 13: by Diane U (new)

Camille, I won a paper version of the book from Amish Hearts.com. I was emailing Barbara back and forth for a little while and she said that if you got the first book from NetGalley then the other books will be available as well.

Did you read the preview at the end? I did not because I thought it was a tease and I would want to read more!

message 14: by Camille (new)

Camille (CamilleElise) | 872 comments I did, it was only a couple pages long, but it peaked my interest already! It didn't feel like torture though, which is nice, just like "ooooh, this sounds great, I can't wait to read it!"

message 15: by Rachel (new)

^ Agreed with Camille, it's not one of those teasers that makes you need the book immediately, it just makes you intrigued.

message 16: by Eva (last edited Nov 04, 2010 06:48PM) (new)

Eva  (BookLover1492) | 31 comments I finished the book tonight. I really enjoyed it alot and will be on the look out for A Time to Heal.

message 17: by Barbara Ann (new)

Barbara Ann | 918 comments Mod
Diane -- I, like you, won the book, along with the expanded edition of "An Amish Christmas."

I loved our choice for November and can't wait for the next two. I loved Jennie's grandmother, she made me miss mine. I can't wait until "A Time to Heal" comes out!

I really like that we trying authors that I haven't read yet. You are all helping me to expand my horizons.

message 18: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (atimetolove) | 119 comments Barbara wrote: "Diane -- I, like you, won the book, along with the expanded edition of "An Amish Christmas."

I loved our choice for November and can't wait for the next two. I loved Jennie's grandmother, she mad..."

Wow, so many of you have already started responding and even before I could answer a question there was someone who knew the answer!! Yes, just finished A Time for Peace and haven't heard from my editor yet. I hope that it'll be as well received as the previous two books. It's my favorite of the three and there's a surprise in store for readers who want to know what happened to Jenny and Matthew and the kinner. (And yes, they are in Book 2 A Time to Heal as we follow Matthew's sister, Hannah, and a mysterious man who comes to Paradise...

message 19: by Rachel (new)

Barbara, thanks so much for dropping in! I'm sure all the members of this group will be very grateful if you can answer any little questions we have about your series, so thanks for confirming our thoughts about the third title! I'm definitely looking forward to reading #2, especially as I really liked the character of Hannah in #1.

message 20: by Camille (new)

Camille (CamilleElise) | 872 comments I'm so excited for your next book Barbara! This truly was a GREAT November read for us! That's what I love about GoodReads, we don't always get to read the book we suggest, but I didn't suggest this book and I couldn't be happier we read this book instead of what I suggested!

message 21: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (atimetolove) | 119 comments I would love to answer questions! Will be sitting down with a cup of tea tonight to do just that when I get home from a book signing at a darling little quilt shop in St. Augustine, Florida. See you later! (Magrieta's Quilt Shop on King Street from 5:30-7:30 p.m.) 11/05/10

message 22: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (atimetolove) | 119 comments So glad you liked Hannah! She is no timid Amish miss and when she and Chris meet -- wow. It'll be out in late February from what I hear. Thanksk for writing!

message 23: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 85 comments Ladies our group was mentioned over at Amish Hearts here is the link http://www.amishhearts.com/.

message 24: by Camille (new)

Camille (CamilleElise) | 872 comments Fantastic! Maybe our little group will grow with some extra exposure and we can learn of even more fantastic Amish literature!

message 25: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (atimetolove) | 119 comments Gee, I wonder who wrote that blog ... : )

message 26: by Rachel (new)

Aww, thanks for the mention! I'm glad this group is growing, we fans of Amish books definitely deserve somewhere to discuss our favourite genre :) I think we're also very fortunate that both Marta and Barbara have popped in to answer our questions.

message 27: by Barbara (last edited Nov 15, 2010 10:55AM) (new)

Barbara (atimetolove) | 119 comments I'm enjoying it!

Thank you! I just turned in the third book of the series (A Time for Peace) and my editor bought a Christmas novella featuring the characters from this story. : ) It'll come out in 2013...yes, we work that far ahead...I have a new Amish series coming out at Abingdon Press right after the Quilts of Lancaster County series ends.

message 28: by Rachel (last edited Nov 15, 2010 07:09AM) (new)

Just noticed no one has commented on this in a while. Is everyone still reading the book or have some of us finished? I read this back in September and can still remember some parts really vividly. One thing that I found particularly interesting was the clash between Jenny's work in the warzone and the pacifist Amish lifestyle. So, question for Barbara: Was there anything in particular that made you want to draw this contrast between the two incredibly different ways of life?

message 29: by Camille (new)

Camille (CamilleElise) | 872 comments What I really liked about this book is that I felt like it came full circle.

WARNING SPOILER!!!!

I say this because in the end Jenny returns to the Amish religion that her parents left, so I feel like it is a complete full circle from her family having left the Amish to her deciding to return to the Amish.

message 30: by Rachel (new)

Hmm, yeah, that was really interesting. Sometimes when I read books about complete outsiders wanting to join the Amish I wonder how their interest started, but it's obvious that Jenny has always had links because of her grandmother. It makes you wonder how many people are descended from the Amish because of one person or another who left to become English?

message 31: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (atimetolove) | 119 comments Rachel wrote: "Hmm, yeah, that was really interesting. Sometimes when I read books about complete outsiders wanting to join the Amish I wonder how their interest started, but it's obvious that Jenny has always ha..."

Rachel wrote: "Hmm, yeah, that was really interesting. Sometimes when I read books about complete outsiders wanting to join the Amish I wonder how their interest started, but it's obvious that Jenny has always ha..."

More people are talking about their family ties to the Amish now that there are more books being published and interest has grown in the Amish. I don't believe we have any Amish in my family background -- it's Scottish and Swedish -- but I feel very close to them because of my mom being raised on a farm and my getting a lot of influence from the German community in Cincicinnati, Ohio.

message 32: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (atimetolove) | 119 comments Camille wrote: "What I really liked about this book is that I felt like it came full circle.

WARNING SPOILER!!!!

I say this because in the end Jenny returns to the Amish religion that her parents left, so I fee..."

Rachel wrote: "Hmm, yeah, that was really interesting. Sometimes when I read books about complete outsiders wanting to join the Amish I wonder how their interest started, but it's obvious that Jenny has always ha..."

Full Circle was actually the title of the third book in the Quilts of Lancaster series but the editor changed it. I loved her titles drawn from Ecclesiastes, though, so it was a win-win situation...the titles are A Time to Love, A Time to Heal, and A Time for Peace.

message 33: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (atimetolove) | 119 comments Rachel wrote: "Hmm, yeah, that was really interesting. Sometimes when I read books about complete outsiders wanting to join the Amish I wonder how their interest started, but it's obvious that Jenny has always ha..."

Somehow my answer went in the wrong block...I guess I need some caffeine! Yes, more people are saying they have ties to the Amish through their families. Internet genealogy sites are helping more people find their family history.

message 34: by Jodie (new)

Jodie (MommaWantstoRead) | 185 comments I just finished this book late last night! I loved the in depth descriptions of the food and the details about the Amish throughout the book! I also loved the attention to detail with Jenny's recovery and the rekindling of the friendship with Matthew. I just LOVED this book! What a great choice for our group read!! I cannot wait to read the next one!

message 35: by Janet (new)

Janet | 175 comments I have to say I was a tad disappointed in this book. For me it could of ended at about the 200 page mark, I didn't see much use of the last 80 pages. As in many Amish books there near the end an accident occurs but it was unnecessary. I didn't see how it added to the story at all - the couple was already happy and didn't need brought back together through this accident.

message 36: by Jodie (new)

Jodie (MommaWantstoRead) | 185 comments Janet wrote: "I have to say I was a tad disappointed in this book. For me it could of ended at about the 200 page mark, I didn't see much use of the last 80 pages. As in many Amish books there near the end an ac..."

I thought the book was wonderful, but I do agree the last few chapters could have been skipped and the book would have still been excellent!

message 37: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (atimetolove) | 119 comments The reason for the accident was that until it happened, Matthew could say that he would be there for Jenny, but the accident showed that he would be.

message 38: by Em (new)

Em Petrova (EmPetrova) | 2 comments I've read all the Beverly Lewis books, and agree that a lot of Amish stories showcase accidents. However, if you read any other romance, most of the plots contain them too. Accidents and hardships are part of life, and I feel like this book shows the determination of the characters to overcome. Jenny had been broken by her first accident, but she didn't let the second one devastate her, mainly because she had found her passion for the Amish Order, and for Matthew.

I loved this book. Barbara Cameron's devotion to creating a beautiful love story while sticking within the guidelines of the Amish Romance genre really shines.

message 39: by Rachel (new)

Em, that's a really nice way of phrasing it. I hadn't thought about comparing Jenny's reactions after the two accidents!

I think sometimes we sugarcoat the Amish, thinking that their lives are perfect, but they suffer hardships just like the rest of us. They may not drive cars but they still get into road accidents in their buggies, and these can be even more catastrophic because of the lack of airbags and seatbelts.

message 40: by Camille (new)

Camille (CamilleElise) | 872 comments I just finished The Thorn by Beverly Lewis and I think that's what I liked so much about it. It wasn't about picture-perfect Amish lives, but the realities of what they go through is so much more than perfect lives. I agree that that is what is really realistic about A Time to Love by Barbara Cameron. It just really showcases the problems in life that can affect anyone and everyone, regardless of your walk of life.

message 41: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (atimetolove) | 119 comments Em wrote: "I've read all the Beverly Lewis books, and agree that a lot of Amish stories showcase accidents. However, if you read any other romance, most of the plots contain them too. Accidents and hardships ..."

I liked how you put it, Em. Accidents can bring up a lot of conflict for characters. I had lunch with a friend today who said that Matthew really freaked when he had to go to the hospital to see Jenny and she thought it revealed a lot about how he would have handled being there for her..

It was so cool to hear this friend talking about my book with me. She's a retired U.S. Air Force pilot and it was her first Amish book. Nice to hear that she enjoyed it and had some beliefs about the genre blown away.

message 42: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (atimetolove) | 119 comments Rachel wrote: "Em, that's a really nice way of phrasing it. I hadn't thought about comparing Jenny's reactions after the two accidents!

I think sometimes we sugarcoat the Amish, thinking that their lives are ..."

Yes, we DO sugar-coat the Amish sometimes. I have Jenny reflecting on that in Book 3 A Time for Peace...my Old Order Amish friend Linda Byler dispelled some stereotypes in a recent letter -- she has such a fun sense of humor! I hope you've had a chance to read her book Running Around...And Such and her second one in the series Where Strawberries Bloom.

message 43: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (atimetolove) | 119 comments Jodie wrote: "I just finished this book late last night! I loved the in depth descriptions of the food and the details about the Amish throughout the book! I also loved the attention to detail with Jenny's recov..."

Thanks, Jodie!!!

Oh, the Amish food descriptions have not been good for my waistline!! I have to test drive the recipes for my readers... : )

message 44: by Rachel (new)

Barbara wrote: "Rachel wrote: "Em, that's a really nice way of phrasing it. I hadn't thought about comparing Jenny's reactions after the two accidents!

I think sometimes we sugarcoat the Amish, thinking that t..."

Oh yes, I have Linda Byler's books on my (ever expanding!) wishlist. Some of the members on here have read the books and they sound excellent.

Were there any stereotypes in particular that you think we should take care to ignore?

message 45: by Jodie (new)

Jodie (MommaWantstoRead) | 185 comments One of the things I learned from reading Linda Byler's two books is that not all Amish just go with the flow and are happy with it. I mean that they aren't necessarily happy with everything around them. They get upset with day to day life just as us "English" do. I don't know if I said that right. Anyway, my Aunt has lived around Amish for 20+ years and she is always telling me don't believe everything you read about them, it's not all roses. Which is the reason I liked "A Time to Love" and "Murder in Plain Sight" because they intermixed Amish with "English." Which allowed for a lot less stereotypical Amish, but did allow for some of their beliefs to be shown. Boy - I'm gonna stop because this is sounding like gibberish!

message 46: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (atimetolove) | 119 comments Jodie wrote: "One of the things I learned from reading Linda Byler's two books is that not all Amish just go with the flow and are happy with it. I mean that they aren't necessarily happy with everything around ..."

Jenny herself (in a later book) says the Amish aren't saints, they're people.

Nice post. Not gibberish at all!

message 47: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (atimetolove) | 119 comments One of the big stereotypes about the Amish is that they are stiff and stern people. Linda's books (especially the first one) show that this isn't true. I went to a Beach Amish Mennonite wedding last month and everyone was so warm and welcoming with me. And they are so loving with their children ... attentive to them in a way that makes for such good behavior at such events. Too many English tend to be on cell phones or be preoccupied and the kids can get to misbehave or whine for Mom or Dad to pay attention.

message 48: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (atimetolove) | 119 comments Barbara wrote: "One of the big stereotypes about the Amish is that they are stiff and stern people. Linda's books (especially the first one) show that this isn't true. I went to a Beach Amish Mennonite wedding las..."

I had a typo in this message. It was a Beachy Amish Mennonite wedding. The Beachy isn't because of being near a beach -- this particular community is named after a Mr. Beachy who started it.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

A Time to Love (other topics)
A Time to Heal (other topics)
The Thorn (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Barbara Cameron (other topics)
Beverly Lewis (other topics)