Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas discussion

Gonzo Journalism

Comments (showing 1-22 of 22) (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jennifer One of my favorite lines is:

"Reading the front page made me feel a lot better. Against that heinous background, my crimes were pale and meaningless. I was a relatively respectable citizen--a multiple felon, perhaps, but certainly not dangerous. And when the Great Scorer came to write against my name, that would surely make a difference" (74).

Great Writing!

Krissy Boccia And mine is the reference to "examining the shape of your skull".

David A great book, unique writing style, pure Gonzo before people knew what it was. Many still don't know what it is.

Nick "some sort of electric snake in the sky"
"shoot it"
"No, I want to study its habits"

Danielle Damn, I LOVE this book! I actually woke up one night yelling "We can't stop here! It's bat country!"

danielle Danielle wrote: "Damn, I LOVE this book! I actually woke up one night yelling "We can't stop here! It's bat country!""

hahaha that must have been a wild dream

Michael T Ahahaha bat country...still being in a lounge with a bunch of giant lizards...

Tara "I tell you, my man, this is the American Dream in action! We’d be fools not to ride this strange torpedo all the way out to the end.”

Ashley  Pittman "Who said anything about slicing you up? ... I just wanted to carve a little Z on your forehead-- nothing serious."
I cant even tell you how hard i laughed when i read this part!!! this book has got to be one of the best things i have ever read!!!!

message 10: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim I read this book 30+ years ago and love it just as much today. I would loved to have had the chance to sit down with Hunter S. Thompson for awhile.

Graham Nick wrote: ""some sort of electric snake in the sky"
"shoot it"
"No, I want to study its habits""

Love this bit, as well as:

"You could strike sparks anywhere. There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning. . . . And that, I think, was the handle—that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn’t need that. Our energy would simply prevail. There was no point in fighting — on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. . . . So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark — that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back."

David cockroach cockroach cock...roach..cockroach

message 13: by Ken (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ken Heard I read this book when I first became a journalist 30 years and loved it, aspiring to write as well as Thompson. Then, when I thought I had grown up and matured, I read it again 15 years later and found it juvenile and disjointed. I read it a third time about 6 months ago and loved it again. Thank God, I grew out of my growing up phase and didn't turn into the jackbooted thug I was heading for. There are books that epitomize the style and culture of the times and Fear and Loathing captured that. Truly, this is an American classic.

message 14: by CD (new) - rated it 5 stars

CD One thought to get you through the night:

BATS!

Holly A great companion piece to "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" is his piece, "The Kentucky Derby is Decadent and Depraved" from "Great Shark Hunt". It chronicles HST's first face-to-face meeting with Ralph Steadman and their bizarre adventures in Louisville on a long- ago Derby Day.

message 16: by Sue (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sue "We can't stop here; this is bat country"

Charles Schmidt From Where the Buffalo Roam:

He became a man the day of the greatest game he ever played. Everything he ever knew about common decency and morality he learned that day in December from Alan "The Horse" Ameche; and today in the Superbowl he would earn his wings. The crowd had assembled; a crowd of America's elite. Toyota salesmen from all around the country -- orientals and even those suspected of being orientals -- stacked on the thirty yard line watching him sweat and wipe caked blood from his face. The Gallow brothers -- Ernest and Julio -- party guys who had skinned a few Mexicans and forced them to carry them on their shoulders down to the pre-game tailgate parties at the Colosseum. The Pepsi and Coca Cola bottlers of America -- Coke adds life; It's the real thing -- bombarded by missiles; flying flaming matchbook covers. The waterheads from General Motors up in the top seats where they belong; getting the worst of the pollution. All sorts of weird motherfuckers were at the game.

Bessie James I love Fear and Loathing but a huge dose of Hunter is a lot to swallow. I don't re-read it often. One of his that I quite like for snippets when I'm feeling oppressed by our society is "Generation of Swine". It's columns from his days at the Examiner doing a more or less weekly gig. It's 1989 and he generally is not too incoherent (although a little Hunter incoherency is a lot of fun at times). The writing is tight.

He weaves several connected stories throughout the columns. My favorite is one where he is stranded in the Phoenix airport and bets a guy named Parker (the richest man west of Camelback Road, "my wife is the most beautiful woman in Scottsdale") that a football player won't get 500 yards. He phonies up a credit card slip and takes the guy's Mercedes (a gold 600 with smoked windows) as a down payment on the bet, trades it immediately for a new Jeep and heads back to Colorado:

"By sundown I was past Flagstaff. Nobody was chasing me and my mood was getting better with every mile. It was Saturday night in America, and I felt like a native son."

The story continues later in the book where he takes Parker at golf and betting on the Super Bowl for something like $70,000.

In another column, the Jeep gets blown up back at Owl Farm.

Probably all lies but with the doc you never know.

message 19: by A.J. (new) - rated it 5 stars

A.J. Knauss We had a fruit bat hanging in our open-air bathroom on a recent Costa Rica trip and I was thinking about the "bat country" line too! Can't worry about it. Have more rum and toast Hunter S. Thompson!

Feliks "...like 'skullduggery'. 'Vehicle' is another odd-looking word.."

Kenley Bunch Did anyone else find themselves laughing out loud to some of the passages? Gosh, I love Thompsons style of writing. Would loved to of gotten into his head just to see what was banging around up there.

message 22: by CD (last edited Jan 14, 2013 05:25PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

CD A moment of silence, it is almost time for the Super Bowl again.

Yes I heard the whirr of the great mojo wire in the sky cranking up. The hype is about to begin.

" There is always room on TV for a man who can beat people to jelly in nine flat . . .

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (other topics)