The Collected Tales and Poems of Edgar Allan Poe The Collected Tales and Poems of Edgar Allan Poe discussion

not so much anymore, but....

Comments (showing 1-11 of 11) (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Will (last edited Jul 16, 2008 01:41PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Will Kester Early in my childhood, I loved to read but became bored quickly with the juvenile books I was given. Then, I discovered Poe and read everything he ever wrote.

I don't care for his writings as much, now, but will always be grateful for being there when I needed something worth reading. He put the reader right into the terror, the mystery, or the plot. Now, I try to do the same... just not as well. Hey! Who can?

His poems were my first favorite poems, too, before I became such a romantic. "...never more."

Jordan Bailey I adored Poe when I was a pre-teen. I was determined to be a book snob at a young age, and would only read classics. A collection of Poe stories was the only thing my teacher had at that point to satisfy me during out 'sustained silent reading' hour.

I still love Poe's works, but I've become much more fond of his poems than his stories.

Lora I loved Poe long ago, and still like him. I think he lost favor in my heart (lol) when I came across Mervyn Peake's Gormenghast series. Have you read that? Amazing, sustained, gothos. Except for the last book in the trilogy, sorry mess that it was.
However, when it comes to the poetic nature of horror, Poe really holds the reins. After all, you can't even say 'poetic' without saying 'poe', now can you?
;)

Mary Bokkon He's exactly what you want when you're a misanthropic romantic 14-year-old in a black t-shirt. I still like him in the same way I still like the cheap wine I learned to drink when I went away to college--great memories, but it comes across as too ham-handed now.

Gerd Mary wrote: "He's exactly what you want when you're a misanthropic romantic 14-year-old in a black t-shirt..."

Did you just call Poe emo?

Some I will always like by him, some I could never really get into and some I not sure what it was that made me connect with as a young lad ... I guess he really is an emo writer. :D

message 6: by Asia (last edited Jul 18, 2012 10:39AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Asia I loved Poe - unfortunately I haven't read all of his works, only the stories - but I mostly love the emotions he transmits through he writings, and the feeling of him being close by. I think that is the reason it feels so real.. he looks in certain stories like sitting in front of you in an old chair, the chimney next to him, while outside its raining, and you are just listening captured by his words.

He may be an emo writer..but I guess he's a great emo writer ;)

message 7: by Heather (new) - added it

Heather Wheeler i use to live baltimore md i also use to work for the poe museum in baltimore city its very true yes its hunted i would not lie to no one

message 8: by Heather (new) - added it

Heather Wheeler i know the man who works there i miss working with that person also i miss working wth ppl who would came and visted the poe house i know they did alot of work on it i have not been there for years i would like to go back just to visted becuase i am a eager allan poe fan my favor poe story is the raven i been to the birthday one time i love it if you have a questions about it i can tell u from i heared in the poe house but the only sad thing is its not in a nice area at one point back then it was nice place from what i was told but never more never more

Marius Pontmercy I always loved how Poe uses punctuation. You know, those handy symbols that are used to mark where a sentence stops, to put structure into sentences, etc.

Emilie I discovered Poe when I was in junior high, when my father told me about The Alan Parsons Project. Ever since, I have fallen in love with his stories and poems. He'll always be a favourite.

Maddie we did an lcd on him in 7th grade and i fell in love with his works after that but i know someone who is actually in love with him

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

The Collected Tales and Poems of Edgar Allan Poe (other topics)